Code of Conduct

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello! I'm a newbie. Years ago I bought a 3.3 oz EDT of Opium Pour Homme in the Paris airport (Orlie) duty-free store and over the years used it about 6 times -- just because EDT is just not the kind of guy I am. Well, I started using my Opium again and I like using it every day now. To the point where I'm almost out. I really enjoy the woody oriental smell of Opium (just puts me in a good mood) and am open to trying out some other fragrances of that type. I would like 5 suggestions for EDT's that are comparable in fragrance type (woody oriental masculine) as Opium. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Hello! I'm a newbie. Years ago I bought a 3.3 oz EDT of Opium Pour Homme in the Paris airport (Orlie) duty-free store and over the years used it about 6 times -- just because EDT is just not the kind of guy I am. Well, I started using my Opium again and I like using it every day now. To the point where I'm almost out. I really enjoy the woody oriental smell of Opium (just puts me in a good mood) and am open to trying out some other fragrances of that type. I would like 5 suggestions for EDT's that are comparable in fragrance type (woody oriental masculine) as Opium. Can anyone help?
    Hi Duncan,

I think you should have opened a new thread for your question; this way you would have more chances of getting a reply...

Anyway, here are some suggestions of frags that you may enjoy; check the reviews in the Directory:

Boucheron Jaipur
    Balenciaga Cristobal
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure
    Davidoff Zino
    Givenchy Pi
    Guerlain Heritage
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Rochas Lui
    Thierry Mugler A*Men
    YSL M7
    YSL Body Kouros

Hi, Luca30:

Thanks for the list. I saw some of those selections on another thread as well. Sorry for my rookie mistake. With the suggestions from basenotes and some of my own research, I now have a list of about 25 that i will try out. The first one I think will be Elements Aqua (Hugo Boss), second will be Envy for Men (Gucci), Lucky You third.

I've moved this to a new thread
    thx

Default Re: Suggestions for EDTs like Opium pour Homme

Opium PH is my SotD and I absolutely love this scent. So intoxicating!!

I would suggest:

- YSL M7 (smoky, sweet and dark - just like Opium)
    - Chanel Egoiste (complex, alluring scent. Oriental like no other)
    - Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan (thick, sweet and a bit smoky Oriental. Delicious, but unfortunetly very expensive too)

And then couple of non-Orientals that you would probably like:

- Michael Kors (this has something similar to Opium in charachter...It`s sweet and very "fat" scent: lot`s of fruits, suede and pipe tobacco)
    - Shiseido Basala (very unique scent with deep, smoky qualities. Not sweet, but still very intoxicating. Smells very "red" and woody to me)

Wow! They hit some great ones right on!

Welcome to basenotes my friend.

Orientals happen to be my favorite type of fragrance. They picked some great ones for your.

L'Instant is wonderful choice. That will be something you are really going to like.

Try Boss Bottled. That is another really great scent. Sweet and warm.

Lolita Lempicka is another great choice. It has anise in it to give a liquorice smell on top of the oriental.

Good luck on your hunt and welcome to basenotes!!

Wow this is fun! Thanks PigeonMurderer and EnvYuS for the great additional recommendations. It's interesting that the last time I had so much on my brain about top notes and base notes was when I read a book by Tom Robbins called Jitterbug Perfume. I mean, this is a fiction novel that went into a great amount of detail on the science of perfume making. It occurs to me that the reason like like Opium Pour Homme so much is because one of the base notes is cedar. Let's face it, the concentrated aroma of cedar is intoxicating. I don't know why. I could smell it all day. There is a fairly sublte hint of cedar in OpH especially in the drydown.

If you like Cedar so much then try Gucci pour homme. It happens to be my wardrobe icon. It is heavy in cedar. It smells like a really dry church inscense with cedar wood that is spicey/peppery, and shavings from a pencil.

It is a favorite of mine. Try it! You have nothing to lose.

EnvYuS: In my wish list of about 30 or so, Gucci pour Homme is in my top 5 to acquire. All the sites and personal recommendations like yours give it extremely high marks. Thanks!

If you love cedar, you might also enjoy L'Artisan Parfumeur's Navegar.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

If you like Opium Pour Homme EDT, then you definitely have to try Boucheron Jaipur Homme EDT. I personally find it way smoother and sexier than Opium.