Code of Conduct

Default Smells like baby powder?!!?...

Hi,

I periodically ask my kids to smell whatever I am wearing and to tell me what it smells like. The other day I put on Chanel #5 and asked. My son said that it smelled like baby powder. I said "no way" but as I thought about it and smelled my own sillage I realized that he was right. It does at one point (but not throughout) kind of smell like baby powder. Has anyone had the same impression?

Krysia

Default Re: Smells like baby powder?!!?...

I find Chanel #5 and #22 to be very powdery in the drydown. And baby powder does come to mind, especially for #5. I've never done an actual comparison...
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I get that in a lot of drydowns. Chanel No. 5, Shalimar, Emeraude...

Now, I really hate them... but I have to admit that children are always right. (LOL)

mmhmmm. i get powder in the dry down of #5 as well. but i don't mind. i love a nice powdery perfume. :-)
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

hmm i don't get specifically baby powder but some podery hits yeah...but if i wanna go for baby powder i spray avon's sweet honesty! i mean No.5 is much more than that.

i don't really think children are always right!

I get more "floral powder" from No 22 and Patou's Joy. On me No 5 is more skin-scent-musky in the dryout. Sadly, for my checking account, the only concentration of No 5 that works on me is the parfum though. I think the other concentrations may be more powdery.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Unhappy Re: Smells like baby powder?!!?...

To say something "smells like baby powder" is not specific enough, in my opinion. These days, when you go shopping for baby powder, there are several kinds of baby powders to choose from, and each one smells different than the others.

There are two reasons people will always say Chanel No. 5 smells like baby powder.

First, when people with undeveloped powers of discrimination are first confronted with something like Chanel No. 5, they are looking for a verbal equivalent to match the olfactory experience. They will usually go for the first thing that comes to mind that is broadly in the category within which the olfactory experience falls. Amouage Gold for Men also frequently gets compared to baby powder, both it and Chanel No. 5 share civet, oakmoss, and patchouli in the base, classic chypres bases in fact, so the comparison to baby powder is very predictable.

Amouage "Gold" - expensive baby powder?

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=amouage

In fact, to an untrained nose most chypres smell like baby powder, and to a certain extent the response is a correct one.

Of course, the other reason Chanel No. 5 is frequently compared to baby powder is because its huge and continued success subsequently influenced the perfumeing of non-alcholic based, fragranced household and body products.

But saying it smells like baby powder is no different than someone saying a complex full-bodied aromatic cup of gourmet coffee smells strong. It does, but that's not where the description ends.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 29th July 2006 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    There are two reasons people will always say Chanel No. 5 smells like baby powder.

First, when people with undeveloped powers of discrimination are first confronted with something like Chanel no. 5 they are looking for a verbal equivalent to match the olfactory experience. They will usually go for the first thing that comes to mind that is broadly in the category within which the olfactory experience falls in. Amouage Gold for Men also frequently gets compared to baby powder, both share civet, oakmoss, and patchouli in the base, classic chypre bases. It's very predictable. See the following thread:

Amouage "Gold" - expensive baby powder?

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=amouage

Of course, the other reason Chanel no. 5 is frequently compared to baby powder is because the success of a fragrance such as Chanel no. 5 subsequently influenced the perfumeing of non-alcholic based fragranced household and body products.

But saying it smells like baby powder is no different than someone saying a complex full bodied aromatic cup of gourmet coffee smell strong. It does, but that's not where the description ends.

scentemental
    Scentemental, Thank you for this perspective!

Absolutely agree with all comments. I think that my kids are not that discriminatory and have fairly unprecise and general statements. Perhaps because of this I find them interesting. I also think that the people that make J& J baby powder and other products like it are pretty clever. After reading the Emperor of Scent I realize that this is an industry that takes the mundane products such as baby powder pretty seriously and will choose exactly the right kind of fragrance to make their product appealing enough to make them a huge amount of money. It just seemed interesting to me to notice that J&J baby powder and Chanel # 5 do smell kind of similar at a certain point in the Chanel # 5 drydown. I do love Chanel # 5 BTW and do not think any less of it just because of the similarity with J&J baby powder which obviously is quite lovely for babies and whoever is fortunate enough to enjoy its fragrance.

Krysia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    hmm i don't get specifically baby powder but some podery hits yeah...but if i wanna go for baby powder i spray avon's sweet honesty! i mean No.5 is much more than that.

i don't really think children are always right!
    I didn't know anyone still wore Sweet Honesty!!! This was my very first fragrance back in 7th grade, & still holds a special place in my heart. Cheers!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Sweet Honesty was one of my favorites during the years I sold Avon. I received so many compliments on the fragrance, and it was dirt cheap to buy. Chanel #5 is my signature fragrance because my grandkids and family think I smell like baby powder! I love the smell of baby powder, too!

Maybe it's the aldehydes, for some reason aldehydes have a powdery and airy quality to my nose regardless of what scent they are used in.

I;ve heard many people say this about Armani Code Pour Homme and Burberry Brit Pour Homme.....I do understand the Chanel #5 and Shalimar comparison to baby powder!!! This makes sense to me!!!
    Gary

I also love Shalimar and have it in the house now. I also have the Shalimar light scent which I purchased to spray on my bedding. So many people tell me I smell like baby powder when I'm wearing Chanel #5. Shalimar was the very first fragrance I started to wear when I first started working in the early 60's. I followed a woman down the hall in the building and asked her what she was wearing. The sweet smell of Shalimar made me know that I had to have it. Shalimar, however, doesn't last as long on me as Chanel #5 does. In my 20's and 30's I had a perfume fettish and had to have the most popular scents out at the time. I keep coming back to Chanel #5 and Arpege by Lanvin as a senior citizen now. I also loved Cabochard perfume by Gres in the 60's, but never received one compliment when I wore it! How can a fragrance smell so good to my nose and yet I never received one compliment?

The kids might have a point....it could be the benzoin they are smelling....
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/481...-Benzoin-resin