Code of Conduct

Thread: What women want

Default What women want

Don't worry guys, I'm not starting this article to ask what scents get the most compliments or anything shallow like that. I'm trying to get much deeper than a simple "you smell nice". I want to know what women really want.

Probably nine out of ten women (or at least the ones I know) would say that they like a fresh, clean, out of the shower type of smell. Sure, that is nice. But is that really what gets a woman's sex drive revved up? I have reason to believe not.

Over the course of the summer I have naturally worn more fresh scents and fewer orientals. I have some good choices, such as Live Jazz, Bulgari Aqua, and Geir. Yes, I believe that women find those scents to be pleasant and yes I have had some success with women wearing those scents, but to make a generalization this summer has been one big dry spell. That is up until the last two nights.

I basically flipped out and got sick of wearing fresh scents. Just for the record, I am not necessarily talking about Geir (which is my #1 love and is technically too versatile to be labeled fresh or anything for that matter it's just that if I had to label it anything I'd call it fresh), the other two fresh scents I mentioned (which I still like), or any other fresh scent for that matter. I wanted to get dirty. I wanted to wear an oriental, a gourmand, something deemed "not appropriate" for summer wear. So I did.

Last night I broke out the Angel Men. Who says you can't apply this one lightly? If you spray it from a foot or so away and lightly coat yourself in its magical scent particles, why can't it be worn in the summer? Well I wore it and it kicked ass. I had my pick of four different girls, and hell, I picked them all. Awesome night. Could it have happened with a fresh scent? Maybe. It's not so much the specific scent that matters, it's the attitude. I said fuck summer scents and I meant it and I kicked some serious ass.

Tonight I wore Yang, another scent that is a bid racy to don in the summer. I don't know whether it was me, the scent, or some fantastic combination of variables but I met a beautiful woman and things worked out pretty well. Geir is still the only scent that I'll wear on average more than once a week, but these last two days have really made me question the true desires of women.

I know what I'm going to say isn't directly scent related, but I believe it can be tied in. I think that the mentality of women to scents is not so dissimilar to the age old pattern of women saying they like nice guys but then getting with the biggest asshole at the party. They want us to do things they way they want, which is supposedly wear fresh scents and be nice, but clearly there is much more to the equation. Likewise, there is much more to the equation than wearing an oriental cologne or being an asshole, either or both. In fact I wasn't an asshole at all either night. I'm a pretty nice guy and I tend to like everyone that I meet with few exceptions. I think though that it doesn't hurt to hide my kindness between a sexy oriental.

I think it is safe to say that my dry spell is officially over. But before I forget the past, I just want to say that my other successful endeavor this summer was while wearing Acier Aluminium. Fresh? I think not. There may be many reasons that I was far more successful with women during the colder months than I have been during the spring/summer until this point. I was wearing badass orientals nearly every day! I am not saying this stuff to brag, or to say that orientals are the key to a woman's heart, but I think it is absolutely facinating to think about what women say they want and to analyze through their actions what it seems they really want and then tie their mentality into various facets of life, in this case scent. I just though I would share these thoughts with you all. Thank you all for reading.

Default Re: What women want

Oh, and by the way, I didn't get a verbal compliment on my scent either night. I'm starting to think that those don't really matter so much.

isnt the answer "their own way"...some arthurian legend rattles around

As those two Canadians were known to say; "We are not worthy."

Interesting action on your part TG. I like thinking out of the box once in a while too . And let's face it, we will never understand the fairer sex but man, do I want to !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I have come to the conclusion that what women want is a man who feels confident (well, surprise surprise) and that is going to come down to wearing a scent that makes -you- feel sexy and that suits you.

If you wanna wear dark orientals and gourmands, go for it. I love wearing Philosykos but I'm aware it doesn't really bring out my sexual side, although it might on a different guy. And I've never gotten compliments for fresh scents. The freshest thing I've ever gotten a compliment for was Antaeus, which surely tells you something about the way I wear fragrance!

You love it, you wear it. Just make sure I'm not around in my Eau des Iles to grab the ladies first

I have gotten compliments on fresh scents by my girlfriend and some female friends; well two, to be exact. Gendarme elicits nice comments, and so does GIT. Although GIT isnt that citrusy, theres something about its grassy-smelling tweedy-green notes which are alluring to women.
    -

Hey Giraffe, nice hunting. Come to St. Louis-- I could use a wingman like you.

ahh... this just in... I was staying in for the night but a friend called to tell me that an old flame from high school is in town... grabbing the MI and running out the door!

Quote Originally Posted by MorningOil
    I have come to the conclusion that what women want is a man who feels confident (well, surprise surprise) and that is going to come down to wearing a scent that makes -you- feel sexy and that suits you.

If you wanna wear dark orientals and gourmands, go for it. I love wearing Philosykos but I'm aware it doesn't really bring out my sexual side, although it might on a different guy. And I've never gotten compliments for fresh scents. The freshest thing I've ever gotten a compliment for was Antaeus, which surely tells you something about the way I wear fragrance!

You love it, you wear it. Just make sure I'm not around in my Eau des Iles to grab the ladies first
    i agree with a lot of what you said.
    heck, I have even had compliments from ladies when i was wearing Samsara (some were even sexual), and i attributed this to me feeling comfortable wearing it.

I guess what they really want is very relative to what each believes is attractive and/or sexy and it's really not up to any of us to change that.
    For me, fragrance maybe a part of who you are, but it's not who you really are. And what will happen then when the drydown goes away? will i loose ground with someone if i don't wear anything? will they still be atracted to me even if i smell bad/not my best?
    i'm just rambling now!

I just wear orientals in all kinds of weather cause I'm such a sucker for them!

Caution: Bunk Science Ahead!!

Maybe, and this is a very big maybe that is rooted in absolutely no scientific method (I have no background in any pschology or sociology, biology or chemistry, or anything that would verify my claims), but MAYBE it has to do with that gourmands often have musk, which I believe is used in the animal kingdom as a form of attraction. I could be really off base with that, but we ARE animals, and I know I'd sure as hell rather smell an oriental on a woman.

I dunno, that's all a bunch of theory, but I know for a fake confidence plays a bigger role. I know, I know, it's hard to compete especially when you're in a room full of other guys all trying to be confident, but being naturally confident in who you are (and what your objectives are) will get you alot more play, at least in my experience.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    being naturally confident in who you are (and what your objectives are) will get you alot more play, at least in my experience.
    This is also my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    ahh... this just in... I was staying in for the night but a friend called to tell me that an old flame from high school is in town... grabbing the MI and running out the door!

Indie, I can't help but notice you grab for the MI quite a bit. Have you gotten any compliments on this one yet?

Blog Entries

I agree that the heavier scents can work in summer. When I pick out a SOTD, it's really based on what I want to wear, not something necessarily "season appropriate". I discovered the awesomeness of Pi just a couple months ago. I've only worn it out (as in clubbing) once so far this summer, and I got a lot more compliments & response than when I was out wearing my "summer" frags. Coincidence? Probably.

As cliche as this sounds...I stand by "wear what you want, when you want."
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Somedude
    I just wear orientals in all kinds of weather cause I'm such a sucker for them!
    SAME HERE.

Citrusses are BORING

being a woman--i feel it safe to say that there are few better than montale's soleil de capri...or for lighter budgets...givenchy pour homme with the maroon cap! yum!
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

I never receive compliments on the fresh and clean or citrusy scents. On the other hand, L'Anarchiste, Envy, B*Men and Allure Sport always garner attention. Check out what Envy got me the other day:

Emily: Oh my god, you smell awesome!
    Julie: Let me smell! Let me smell! (sniffing my wrist) Oh, that's hot.
    Emily: That stuff turns me on.
    Sheri: He always smells good.

But yeah, if you're not at least somewhat confident and approachable, that's not going to happen for ya. I have never had to be an "asshole". It's my understanding that this sort of behavior attracts needy, gold-digging, daddys' girls.