Code of Conduct

Default Highest Rated Fragrances at Basenotes

Using the same formula as used by IMDB for their top 250 -- here's the top 100 fragrances on Basenotes:

I must admit, I'm pretty surprised by the results!

(Link currently unavailable)
    Last edited by Grant; 1st August 2006 at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: Highest Rated Fragrances at Basenotes

Yea, I havent even tried any of the top 10 !! :S
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    Using the same formula as used by IMDB for their top 250 -- here's the top 100 fragrances on Basenotes:

I must admit, I'm pretty surprised by the results!

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/bas....cgi?SB=top100
    Surprising list, yeah. I think that has to do with how many people actually rate the fragrances in the wardrobe. If many aren't rated, they'll be lower down in the list or not there at all. No surprise on the niches, since many on basenotes use niche perfumes and also rate them. What do you think?

I'm shocked! Never even tried Relax by Davidoff. I don't think a lot of active members are really making an effort to give earnest reviews. Personally, because the site was under construction for a couple of weeks or so -- I haven't.

Interesting results though.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

The list is based on ratings in wardrobes, rather than reviews. Just need to get more people to make wardrobes!

Now that is an interesting list!

As with many ratings ... some of the results could be a bit flawed. For example, Relax may be owned by just a few ... let's say 5 people. And if all 5 give it 5 stars, it's going to be way up there on top. On the other hand, the 100th rated scent on that list is Dia ... which is in my personal top 10. But not many own (or have sampled) that one either. So if only 5 have rated that one ... and the other 4 didn't give it a good review (whether it's price or short longevity or whatever), that winds up way down on the list.

Again, I like lists like this ... but I would be really curious to see exactly how many people have rated each scent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    As with many ratings ... some of the results could be a bit flawed. For example, Relax may be owned by just a few ... let's say 5 people. And if all 5 give it 5 stars, it's going to be way up there on top. On the other hand, the 100th rated scent on that list is Dia ... which is in my personal top 10. But not many own (or have sampled) that one either. So if only 5 have rated that one ... and the other 4 didn't give it a good review (whether it's price or short longevity or whatever), that winds up way down on the list.

Again, I like lists like this ... but I would be really curious to see exactly how many people have rated each scent on it.
    The list is based on the formula IMDB use :
    The formula for calculating the Top Rated 250 Titles gives a true Bayesian estimate:weighted rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C

where:
    R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating)
    v = number of votes for the movie = (votes)
    m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250 (currently 1300)
    C = the mean vote across the whole report (currently 6.8)for the Top 250, only votes from regular voters are considered.

In the Basenotes one, the minimum number of votes was 20 - so if a fragrance has received less than 20 votes, it wasn't included.

Pleased to see SL Encens et Lavande ranked Number 2.

I got my bottle of GIT today and am gonna wait a little while till I've tried it out in different situations before I rate it. my first impression of it is good though. It smells like freshly cut grass which is one of my favourite smells and reminds me of playing football as a kid.

Not surprised that Relax is #1. It's one of the most incredible fragrances ever, imo.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Well, that does it! Now I am going to try Relax. I am looking forward to it.

it says:
    The 100 Highest Rated Fragrances by Basenotes Visitors

(1) If it's visitors' votes I have no comments, if it's registered members' votes I say something went terribly wrong here:

(2) edited, YSL is actually there: KCS

(3) Where are the all time favorites, almost uniscents nowadays, Mitsouko and Bandit?

(4) What about basenoters awards scents of the years 2004 and 2005 suddenly missing? Musk Ravageur was such a hit, and I bet anything that more than five persons have rated it a five* frag! (Even I did, although I do not wear MR any longer). Piper Nigrum is disliked by some, I remember, but loved by many. So is VdRoses! Habit Rouge, and Guerlain Vetiver are not contained, but the rather elitary Vetiver of Malle is there. Bois du Portugal, GIT and Silver Mountain Water have been basenoters favorite Creeds during more than one year - have they suddenly fallen in disgrace?

(5) Dior Homme is perhaps the scent with the most contributions during the past 8 months. I would have expected that to be more popular than the excellent, but not easily available Eau Noir!

(6) Another question: are female and male votes counted together here? A woman's perception of a male frag (and vice versa) does not necessarily mean the same. Both, I believe, have basically different standards.

(I may have overlooked one or the other in the list of those 100 - but all of these ? basenoters previously elected top scents are here: http://www.basenotes.net/awards/
    Last edited by narcus; 29th July 2006 at 11:37 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This is based on registered members wardrobe ratings. Nothing to do with reviews / the awards etc..

Overcome By Fumes

So alot of people rated Relax and it averaged a 4 stars...while Vol de Nuit averaging 4.5 stars comes in at 43...

I agree, more people should take a little time to maintain a wardrobe and rate things as they like them. I would not have guessed a single one in the top twenty!

"Unbound?"

Bitch, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    This is based on registered members wardrobe ratings. Nothing to do with reviews / the awards etc..
    Members' ratings are to be taken seriously. I got 'nothing -to-do' from the beginning, dear Anonymos. And I also trust that these are solid computer results. And yet, the obvious discrepancy between scents people talk about, or vote for annually, and ratings of their own possessions certainly raises questions. It would be interesting to find possible causes:
    - would the formula have to be modified?
    - should maybe male and female wardrobes be separated - if only to compare detail and overall results?
    - what was the total of male and female wardrobes available from active members for this exercise?

Maybe it is just me, but in the new set-up I cannot find how many members own a certain fragrance, according to wardrobes.
    In my personal view, members' wardrobes are relevant, and helpful, to understand or answer posts and threads. I may not want people to know my birth day and other personal details, but I feel almost obliged to disclose my scent preferences to fellow bnoters. They will know who I am if they care to look at my wardrobe (there used to be a bottle link, where is it now?).
    Last edited by narcus; 30th July 2006 at 08:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thanks Grant.
    I love analysing and comparing.

I own
    0 in Top 30
    1 in 30 to 40 (Number 37)
    2 in 40 to 50 (so that's 3 in the top 50)
    2 in 50 to 60
    2 in 60 to 80
    0 in 70 to 80
    2 in 80 to 90
    4 in 90 to 100 ( so that's 13 in the top 100)

A very skewed distribution for me.

Interesting how Green Irish Tweed didn't make the list.

Are there any other much discussed scents that didn't make the grade?

Or is it that once a scent is much discussed, more people try it, and there consequently winds up being more negative reviews posted than would be the case with the less discussed ones?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 31st July 2006 at 01:53 AM.

WOW!!

That is an interesting list. I'm glad to see Santal Imperial up there. It gets no attention. It is one of my favorite fragrances ever!! Glad to see it up there.

I just found Safran Troublant recently and I loved it. I'm confused as to how it beat out so many other L'Artisan smells and comes up as the first from that house on the list. That is crazy to me.

What a strange list. Thanks Grant!!

I've noticed that when I up the minimum votes required to be on the list
    , to say 50, the list looks a little more how you would expect it!

May we see that too, Grant ?

This is an interesting game, but at the same time a lot more! To my knowledge, the masculine members form the biggest consumer group of colognes used by men. We are fairly independent, at least as a whole. We may be far from representative for consumers world wide, but as concerns trends in quality perfumery we are a good barometer, I believe, maybe even speeding up, even setting trends ourselves (correct me if I am wrong).

I saw some wardrobes recently, that have no ratings at all. I myself only rate what I consider of value to me. Scents I want to get rid of I used to mark by zero rating, but now have in 'once owned'. If zero rated treasures have an impact on the list of the 100, we shouldn't expect too much from it, of course. This would be just one cause for errors, certainly.

I will try out Relax later today for the first time... (thanks dr.creed)

Btw, what is IMDB??

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    I will try out Relax later today for the first time... (thanks dr.creed)

Btw, what is IMDB??
    The Internet Movie Database - http://www.imdb.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D
    The Internet Movie Database - http://www.imdb.com
    OK, thanks!

Hi,

Currently is there a way to view the "highest rated" fragrances on BN? This would be helpful in addition to the "most rated" list (which appears in Fragrance Reviews section).

Well damn is the list going to be put back up in its original form...minimum 20..I'd like to see what I own.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

The link is "currently unavailable" so I can't see the results. Just from reading various posts over the past few months since joining (and considering the frags that I know) I'd have suspected Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Antaeus to be two of the highest rated.

Two year old bump, nice!

I'd also like to see a new list of highest rated frags.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Not surprised that Relax is #1. It's one of the most incredible fragrances ever, imo.

KO
    True that. I bought a bottle from a fellow B'noter who lives in the Middle East. It's one of the most incredible scents ever. Naturally they HAD to discontinue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Two year old bump, nice!

I'd also like to see a new list of highest rated frags.
    Didn't even look at dates when I responded at first. Oh well.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I can't even response to a 200 day old thread. Something is terribly wrong here!
    Last edited by crunkjuice; 2nd January 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Can some kind soul just cut and paste or maybe manually write down least the TOP 20?/

that would be helpful !

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by crunkjuice View Post
    I can't even response to a 200 day old thread. Something is terribly wrong here!
    I don't understand the aversion to "bumping threads" here - on most other forums it is actively encouraged, as opposed to starting a new thread on the same subject....