Code of Conduct
    Serpent

Default Bottega Veneta & Louis Vuitton

Weren't both Bottega Veneta and Louis Vuitton supposed to be releasing new scents? I've yet to read anything about either alleged release. Does anyone have any news on either of these?

Default Re: Bottega Veneta & Louis Vuitton

Haven't heard anything, but find it quite weird LV hasn't come with a scent yet.
    Well..I hope they do soon...

Well, it's for the better that LV hasn't done fragrances yet
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    Well, it's for the better that LV hasn't done fragrances yet
    Agree completely. I actually applaud them for NOT releasing one; they're a luggage maker who's had success now in purses. Their Ready-to-wear line probably only makes about .0005% of their profits. So, really, there is no reason to have a fragrance, except to cash in on that sector of the market. But, aside from its bag heritage, LV really has no discernible "flavor/smell" that would lead to a scent. Nor does it have a real "aesthetic" for fashion; Marc Jacobs follows the trends and puts LV monograms on the stuff (okay, that's not entirely fair, but their isn't a discernible, clear-cut LV clothing aesthetic). Gucci, YSL, even Prada have clear-cut aesthetics for fashion that help their fragrances FIT with their customer. Hermes does as well.

But, for LV, I just don't see it. I can see one SLIGHTLY for BV, but even there, unless it is a heavy, leather-note scent, I don't see what the "character" of BV would be to require a separate scent. Of all the recent dusty-old-fashion-house turnarounds, I most want to see a new Balenciaga fragrance by Nicholas Ghesquiere. The older frags are okay, but were all made during the heavy licensing phase BEFORE Gucci bought them. So, I'd like to see a new one from them.

John

Well said John. I'm starting to get rather sick and tired of every damn fashion house getting into fragrances while they have no good reason to (except for raising their profit).
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    =Of all the recent dusty-old-fashion-house turnarounds, I most want to see a new Balenciaga fragrance by Nicholas Ghesquiere. The older frags are okay, but were all made during the heavy licensing phase BEFORE Gucci bought them. So, I'd like to see a new one from them.

John
    I read here a while back that Estee Lauder is wining and dining Balenciaga to sign with them once their current fragrance license expires at the end of this year. In fact, several Lauder family members were spotted at a Balenciaga fashion show recently.

Why not YSL Beaute, you may ask? Gucci did say that they don't have to sign with YSL Beaute if they so choose, despite them being in the same group.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    I read here a while back that Estee Lauder is wining and dining Balenciaga to sign with them once their current fragrance license expires at the end of this year. In fact, several Lauder family members were spotted at a Balenciaga fashion show recently.

Why not YSL Beaute, you may ask? Gucci did say that they don't have to sign with YSL Beaute if they so choose, despite them being in the same group.
    That's really interesting and I look forward to seeing what comes of that. Estee Lauder would work just as well as YSL Beaute; I mean, YSL was responsible for McQueen's frightening "Kingdom." Maybe Ghesquiere was frightened away by the cumin note.

John

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    But, aside from its bag heritage, LV really has no discernible "flavor/smell" that would lead to a scent...

But, for LV, I just don't see it. I can see one SLIGHTLY for BV, but even there, unless it is a heavy, leather-note scent, I don't see what the "character" of BV would be to require a separate scent.
    I can't see why Louis Vuitton has waited so long, actually. Aesthetics, Schmaesthetics: Louis Vuitton is the "LV" in LVMH, the most soulless, profit-driven luxury company in the world. If there's money to be squeezed from something, by all means, ring it dry! And with Louis Vuitton being the ultimate aspiration brand, a Louis Vuitton scent would be coveted by all those women who couldn't afford a bag but still want some of that Louis Vuitton cachet. That really is what designer fragrances are all about: letting people who can't afford to wear designers "wear" designers. (And anyway, Gucci's scents haven't fit with their design aesthetics in... well, ever.) Eau de Louis Vuitton is as good as printing money. I think they're just waiting for the right juice or what is perceived as the right moment.

Bottega Veneta has already flirted with fragrance in their L'Artisan room and candle fragrance collaboration. These are leathery, dusky Olivia Giacobetti scents, nice but not distinguished. I think these could be viewed as Bottega Veneta's preliminary steps toward a signature scent. If and when they do release something, I have a feeling it will be unisex, in the mold of the room fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I can't see why Louis Vuitton has waited so long, actually. Aesthetics, Schmaesthetics: Louis Vuitton is the "LV" in LVMH, the most soulless, profit-driven luxury company in the world. If there's money to be squeezed from something, by all means, ring it dry! And with Louis Vuitton being the ultimate aspiration brand, a Louis Vuitton scent would be coveted by all those women who couldn't afford a bag but still want some of that Louis Vuitton cachet.
    I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps LVMH doesn't want to lose some of the cache or cannibalize sales from Dior, etc.

On the other hand I think the cache is pretty much lost at this point as pretty much every middle class woman now has a LV handbag or a knock off. In any case the market seems to have moved on to other types of prissy handbags.

BTW is there a Coach frag? I'd be curious if there was one a la Eau d'Hermes or Etienne Aigner (I have EdH, but have yet to try Aigner).
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    BTW is there a Coach frag? I'd be curious if there was one a la Eau d'Hermes or Etienne Aigner (I have EdH, but have yet to try Aigner).
    Coach is another one that doesn't have a scent.

Maybe they're taking a cue from Fendi (which is owned by LVMH), an accessory (and sort-of fashion) house that has struggled with fragrances. Fendi has tried and tried and tried to launch a scent that has captured the public, and each time - Theorema, Asja, the new eponymous Fendis - it's pretty much flopped. Only the original Fendi scents from the 1980s (mainstays at TJ Maxx and Marshall's) have had any sort of longevity. Gucci pre-Tom Ford had a similar track record. Hermès hired on Ellena and began to copy the Chanel model because their sales never took off. It actually does not bode well for leather houses in the fragrance business. So maybe Louis Vuitton and Bottega Veneta have just learned from history?