Code of Conduct

Default Can you ladies help a guy out?

Hello all,
    I'm a pretty new member, been posting for advice in the men's section, but I think I could definately use some female opinions. Basically, I'm trying to find that ultimate "signature" scent. I love how when I sit on the same couch my father was sitting on, I can smell his Polo Green, and I would like a scent that would remind people of me in that way when they smell it.
    I am a 21 year old college kid, in case that affects your opinions/suggestions.

So far I like and own Polo Blue(my gf bought it for me a few years ago), Emporio Armani He, and Polo Green.

My gf only really likes the Polo Blue and we recently tested Kenneth Cole Black, which she really liked(but I didn't really like).

I would have to say my favorites are the Polo Blue and Polo Green. Now my problem is I don't want to have the same sig fragrance as my father and my gf doesn't like the Polo Green. The Polo Blue seems much more of a "trendy" smell to me than a real signature fragrance(perhaps too popular as well?).

Any suggestions on some fragrances you women really like that I could go try on with my gf so hopefully I can find that dream signature scent?

I appreciate it!

Default Re: Can you ladies help a guy out?

my favorite is givenchy pour homme...the maroon top! i smelled it while i was at the barnum and bailey circus and was too shy to ask the guy in front what he was wearing...later on the ride home i smelled it AGAIN and realized it was my own husband! wahooooo!
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

I looked up the notes on Polo Blue (cucumber, tangerine, geranium, basil) and then used the Basenotes directory to find:

Gendarme Green [Gendarme]: Basil, Citrus, Cucumber, Spice (I haven't smelled this one - probably available only in the high-end dept. stores/boutiques.)

Eternity for Men [Calvin Klein]: Top Notes Mandarin, Lavender, Green Botanics; Middle Notes Jasmine, Basil, Geranium, Sage; Base Notes Sandalwood, Vetiver, Rosewood, Amber. Out since 1989, it's a standard that's good quality and widely available.

Eau Sauvage [Dior]: A classic which I find very sexy. Widely available in dept stores and online. Not everyone your age will be wearing this one. Does not last long per Basenoter comments, but you can purchase online for a good price.

Vetiver [Guerlain]: Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Coriander;
    Middle Notes Vetiver, Cedar; Base Notes:Tobacco, Nutmeg, Pepper, Tonka bean, Capiscum. Not necessarily green per se, but very herbal and the dry down is quite yummy. I just bought this for myself - on me the vetiver really comes through, but on my husband the tobacco/pepper blooms. Again, an unusual choice for someone your age, but one which is sophisticated, suave and elegant.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

My two department store favs are Jaipur Homme and Bulgari pour Homme Extreme.

I'd say you need to try out scents until you find one that feels right. The quest for a signature scent (AKA Holy Grail) can be a long one.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by Chicat
    My two department store favs are Jaipur Homme and Bulgari pour Homme Extreme.

I'd say you need to try out scents until you find one that feels right. The quest for a signature scent (AKA Holy Grail) can be a long one.
    yeppers, Chicat is correct, the search for your HG can be a long one, but very fun, too. So, relax and sniff all that you can, your sig scent will find you ...

PS I love Jaipur Homme, too!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

The first thing that came to mind is the Etro line. They will be very different from the Polos that you have come to depend on. They are probably a bit more subtle, but IMHO perfect for signature scents. They have sophistication, presence, are beautifully crafted and will be something you will grow into other than leave behind.

In the US you can get samples from Aedes.com (buy full bottles from perfumebay.com or perfumeemporium.com)

Also, don't be thrown by some of the unisex/male/female ones- try them all. I have several of the men's fragrances (such as Patchouly and Sandalo) that can easily be worn by men or women. Also, don't forget to try Shaal Nur- a gorgeous Oriental that can be worn in any season by either sex.
    Last edited by Artisankey; 30th July 2006 at 06:14 PM.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

My department store favorite is John Varvatos: very sexy, leather (if you like that)

Thanks to all of you!

I really appreciate the input. I will definately go and sniff out the ones you guys mentioned and report back!

I have tried the Varvatos, but I didn't like it too much for some reason...

Also, I've heard Armani Mania is supposedly one that ladies seem to like a lot.

Any comments on Yang?
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 30th July 2006 at 08:24 PM.

If the ladies like bland scents then it's possible to also like Armani Mania...

If you really want a scent that will be liked by the ladies (by ladies I assume that you are referring to girls close to your age), then go and try (on your skin) some Azzaro Chrome, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Davidoff Good Life and Rochas Aquaman. Being close to your age, I know how the girls react to these scents, and a positive reaction it is , if that's what you're looking for besides an olfactory label...