Code of Conduct

Default The Best Blind Purchase You Have Made?

Hey I don't know if this has been done before but what is the best blind purchase you have made? and what scents are good for purchasing blind?
    Recently I bough L'eau d'issey ph, GIT and armani-blackcode all blind and I'm fairly pleased with them all. Today I'm considering getting Rive Gauche and another blind which I haven't yet decided on. Any suggestions?
    p.s. I'm 19 and haven't come accross many scents that I don't like although I haven't tried that many and I didn't like JPG - le Male very much at first, but when it dried down it grew on me. thanks for your help.

Default Re: The Best Blind Purchase You Have Made?

Rive Gauche is a very good blind buy...i bought Gucci Envy blind as well...and my fav is also one that i bought blind (By Man - D&G)...and an expensive blind buy that one was...but so worth it

Envy was gonna be my other purchase however I read in the reviews it's not good for younger people. so that put me off it a bit as I am only 19

Caron 3rd Man--bought it blind, very happy with it.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Well there's blind as in 'I have not smelled it but read a zillion basenotes reviews etc.' and then there's blind as in knowing nothing about a fragrance. I was pretty sure I would like Royal English Leather after reading about it and it became an alltime favorite. But Bogart I got for 1 Euro off ebay just because it was so cheap and it's in my top three right now with REL and Vetiver hombre. Awesome stuff and hardly known these days.
    I enjoy buying blind and have found I can always get rid of what I don't like without too much of a financial loss, sometimes even at a decent profit
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Well there's blind as in 'I have not smelled it but read a zillion basenotes reviews etc.' and then there's blind as in knowing nothing about a fragrance. I was pretty sure I would like Royal English Leather after reading about it and it became an alltime favorite.
    Haha yeah black code was completely blind but I wasn't willing to pay so much for GIT without knowing a bit about it.

Probably Geir but also well chuffed with Yang and M7 Fresh.

Yohji, I have gone through six bottles of it since getting my first mini in 1998 and it was my last signature scent before my collecting got out of hands!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm very happy w/my blind purchase of Dunhill Desire Blue.

For me, Gucci's Envy For Men and Helmut Lang's Cuiron. I've also recently made a blind purchase with Yang, so am expecting great things...

Bought M7 blind. Can't wait for cooler weather to break it out.

Laguna Homme under Milamber's recommendation. Love it!
    Havana. It's great but I don't wear it because it's just too precious!

Think i'm gonna go with blue jeans as my second choice.. it may not be everyones favourite scent but at £8 I'm not gonna argue

I wouldnt go with Blue Jeans. Its not that great of a fragrance. Id go with Gucci Envy. Im only 16 and I love it.

Best blind buys: Bvlgari PH and M7.

Blind buys I'm getting in a day or so: Bvlgari Black and Escada PH

Allure Homme was a blind i loved!

Rive Gauche was a complete blind buy.

Others like Envy and Dior Homme and Egoiste, I tested once. I guess that's kind of 'half blind' buy.

My blind buys include:
    1. Azzaro Silver Black (Onyx) - I am satisfied with it.
    2. D & G pour homme - a bit disappointed as being difficult to wear. Good for nightlife though.
    3. Blue Jeans - what a strong fragrance? It's good for younger people. I like the scent but rarely wear it.
    4. Joop! - what can I say? This could be the scent with most potent sillage out there. Quite fresh and sweet, no more than 2-3 spritzes please.

As you are 19 you might like Kenneth Cole Reaction, Tommy Boy, Black XS by Paco Rabanne or Carolina Herrera CHIC. If you will buy one blind, I'd recommend CHIC out of these 4 scents, but I'm not going to be responsible if you find it out of your taste, lol.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    I wouldnt go with Blue Jeans. Its not that great of a fragrance. Id go with Gucci Envy. Im only 16 and I love it.

Best blind buys: Bvlgari PH and M7.

Blind buys I'm getting in a day or so: Bvlgari Black and Escada PH
    thanks for your help I'll get envy aswell then

I avoid buying bottles blind. But, if I have read enough good reviews of a fragrance, then I will purchase a decant of that fragrance without having first smelled it myself. I don't know if this qualifies as a blind buy or not, but my purchase of decants in this manner are too numerous to list.
    Last edited by Rockford; 30th July 2006 at 05:49 PM.

I believe that would qaulify as a blind buy because if you actually wanted to test it before buying a decant you'd get samples first.

Quote Originally Posted by Figure9
    thanks for your help I'll get envy aswell then

You wont regret it. It's a great scent for the fall/winter. I'm actually buying it tomorrow as I just tested it last Thursday.

There is one fragrance for which I am seriously considering buying a full bottle blind. I am very interested in a lavender based fragrance named Oxford and Cambridge by Czech & Speake. I haven’t smelled this one, and there is very little information about it anywhere that I have looked. But I have experienced very good results with two other Czech & Speake fragrances (No. 88 and Neroli), I am interested in a traditional British men’s lavender cologne, and I have hopes that Oxford and Cambridge will work as well on my skin as C&S No. 88 and C&S Neroli. The more I think about this, the more I think I am going to buy it blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    There is one fragrance for which I am seriously considering buying a full bottle blind. I am very interested in a lavender based fragrance named Oxford and Cambridge by Czech & Speake. I haven’t smelled this one, and there is very little information about it anywhere that I have looked. But I have experienced very good results with two other Czech & Speake fragrances (No. 88 and Neroli), I am interested in a traditional British men’s lavender cologne, and I have hopes that Oxford and Cambridge will work as well on my skin as C&S No. 88 and C&S Neroli. The more I think about this, the more I think I am going to buy it blind.
    good luck and I hope you like it if you do. I am from cambridge lol so the scent name appeals to me.. although I am supposed to hate oxford so I think cambridge should come first in the name.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Allure Homme was a blind i loved!
    agreed. Jacomo Rouge was very cheap and very good as well.

I believe that would qaulify as a blind buy because if you actually wanted to test it before buying a decant you'd get samples first.
    Well, if that's the case, I'd also like to add L'Artisan's Bois Farine and Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens.

And Id like to accept you adding those.

I avoid buying bottles blind. But, if I have read enough good reviews of a fragrance, then I will purchase a decant of that fragrance without having first smelled it myself. I don't know if this qualifies as a blind buy or not, but my purchase of decants in this manner are too numerous to list.
    Perhaps blind buys could be categorized by how “extreme” they are. For example, buying a full bottle blind without ever smelling it or reading any reviews of it might qualify as an “extremely radical” blind buy. And buying a decant of a fragrance after reading several reviews about it might qualify as a “fairly moderate” blind buy.

Well, since almost all my decant purchases are blind (I use decants to test frags I think I'd like a bottle of), I'll comment on the "extreme" blind buys - bottles I dove for without having smelled them.

Balenciaga Pour Homme, Ungaro I, and Davidoff Relax are probably the most successful. They couldn't be any better. Romeo Gigli Per Uomo, Balenciaga Portos, and Yatagan would be next - great as well - in fact maybe these are all one big group of fantastic scents.

Best "recent" blind buys (bottles):

Versace - Black Jeans on eBay, the seller didn't say that the sprayer leaks with every spritz. Fortunatelly I could glue it with Loctite. LOL!

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Gousse (Room Spray) full bottle for almost nothing on eBay as well. AWESOME!! I spray my curtains and the scent lingers for days. And what a beauty here ....

Lancome - Miracle L'Aquatonic: Better than I'd expected it to be. I don't like the beginning, but the drydown is OK.

Sir - Canada Cedar: OK. Nothing to write home about ....

Tommy Hilfiger - Tommy T: Surprise! Well worth the waiting. Could easily be in the Comme des Garcons line Synthetic and a brother of Dry Clean. Quite similar in style, or let's say swagger!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Perhaps blind buys could be categorized by how “extreme” they are. For example, buying a full bottle blind without ever smelling it or reading any reviews of it might qualify as an “extremely radical” blind buy. And buying a decant of a fragrance after reading several reviews about it might qualify as a “fairly moderate” blind buy.
    Here is my start at creating a scale to measure the level of severity of blind buys. I cannot complete this scale at this time because I have to go out for several hours, but I thought I would leave you with the beginnings of this blind buy severity scale. Feel free to expand on this scale or change it, if you wish.

Severity Rating # 10 (Death Wish Blind Buy) - Buying a full bottle of a very expensive fragrance without first smelling it or reading any reviews about it

Severity Rating # 9 (Extremely Radical Blind Buy) - Buying a full bottle of a fragrance without first smelling it or reading any reviews about it

Severity Rating # 8 (???)

Severity Rating # 7 (???)

Severity Rating # 6 (???)

Severity Rating # 5 (Moderate Blind Buy) - Buying a decant of a fragrance without first smelling it but having read several reviews about it

I tend to buy 75ml bottles after reading reviews but without smelling

1. Odeur 53
    2. Yatagan
    3. Ungaro II

Thrax

Seeing that there are no real "perfume shops" in my area of the country mostly all my buys are blind. These include Geir, Bulgari PH, Bulgari Black, Allure, Relax, Envy, HM EDP, PI, Opium PH EDP, Dior Homme, Silver Shadow, ACQUA DI GIO...the list goes on and on. You can look at my wardrobe and 95% of that is blind buys. But the one that I am happiest with is Relax by Davidoff or Bois D'Argent by Dior.

Of the 50 or so frags I have, maybe 5 were not blind buys And of those 5, at least three(Creed's OV, Mure Et Musc Extreme, and A*Men) were second buys after the first blind buy. So, it would be difficult for me to pick a "Best".

And y'all thought ol' men couldn't live on the edge !

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Caron L'anarchiste - good blind buy

Tauer - L'air du Desert marrocaine

Yohji Homme.

Creed's BdP and MI

Classy enough for when you go for your 1st "real" job interview.

Severity Rating # 5 (Death Wish Blind Buy) - Buying a full bottle of a very expensive fragrance without first smelling it or reading any reviews about it

Severity Rating # 4 (Extremely Radical Blind Buy) - Buying a full bottle of a fragrance without first smelling it or reading any reviews about it

Severity Rating # 3 (Risky Blind Buy) Buying an expensive decant or buying a large decant without ever smelling it but reading reviews about it

Severity Rating # 2 (Moderate Blind Buy) Buying a decant of a fragrance without first smelling it but having read several reviews about it

Severity Rating # 1 (Rational Blind Buy) Buying a decant of a fragrance you have only sniffed out of the bottle but never worn.

My best blind buys are as follows. All of these were carefully considered based on reviews and comments. I have NEVER had a dud blind buy when done this way. Ironically, the only duds in my collection are fragrances that I thought I liked after brief tests, but discovered I didn't after actually wearing them. I guess I tend to make more impulsive buys when I HAVE tested a fragrance than when buying blind.

YSL M7--Probably my current #1 favorite.

Jacomo de Jacomo--Low risk because it was cheap.

Alain Delon Iquitos--Another inexpensive winner. When I first tried it, I was shocked at how feminine and floral it was, but it soon grew on me.

Helmut Lang Cuiron--I love it, but it doesn't smell a bit like leather to me.

Trussardi Uomo--Too recent a purchase to fully evaluate, but so far I like it a lot.

Jacques Fath Yang--Was my #1 at one time.

Claiborne Sport--Inexpensive, but a nice fresh scent with good sillage and longevity.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Good blind purchases may be considered those that can offer you some healthy profit.

Polo Crest,
    Liquid Karl , by Karl Lagerfeld.

...right to my swap list!
    Last edited by discovolante; 31st July 2006 at 02:25 PM.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Good blind purchases may be considerd those that can offer you some healthy profit.
    Well, I've just made a blind purchase on Davidoff's Relax (my second BP within the last 48hrs - I must be going crazy...). It cost me a little more than I expected, but I really need to investigate this one (especially with it being an oriental).

I'm still a little unsure about my decision but, if I don't like it (which I dearly hope will not be the case), I'm sure I can easily sell it on eBay.

Severity Rating # 5 (Death Wish Blind Buy) - Buying a full bottle of a very expensive fragrance without first smelling it or reading any reviews about it

Severity Rating # 4 (Extremely Radical Blind Buy) - Buying a full bottle of a fragrance without first smelling it or reading any reviews about it

Severity Rating # 3 (Risky Blind Buy) Buying an expensive decant or buying a large decant without ever smelling it but reading reviews about it

Severity Rating # 2 (Moderate Blind Buy) Buying a decant of a fragrance without first smelling it but having read several reviews about it

Severity Rating # 1 (Rational Blind Buy) Buying a decant of a fragrance you have only sniffed out of the bottle but never worn.
    Thank you, Spiritussancti!

Haha youre welcome. You had ten and I was thinking about stuff to write down and I just couldnt, so I made it down to five instead of ten. Hope you like it. This should be the interantional blind purchase chart. We should publish this and make it a poster. Every basenoter can refer to it before making a blind buy online. And if theyre out in the shops? Little pocket sized charts of the blind purchase scale. We'll be infamous. And filthy rich. Then we can go on fragrance sprees and drop $10,000 on fragrances in a day. Ahh that would be sweet.
    Last edited by Spiritussancti; 31st July 2006 at 02:36 AM.

Tea for Two!!

I bought a whole lot from Adeel (AZsmells) and he offered the rest of his tea for two for just a tiny bit more rather than having to decant it for me. I said yes because he was giving me a great deal. It is now my all time favorite fragrance ever!! I love this stuff and it was all because of a fellow basenoter.

Best buy period.

Tea for Two is highly intoxicating and mysterious. In short this stuff is magical.

M7 was my best blind buy. Lucky for me, this weekend I bought another bottle for only $8! It was on clearance at TJ Maxx for $10, and it was employee 20% weekend. I also got the aftershave lotion, which has little hints of coffee in it. Mmmm.... M7!

So many folks like Tea for Two. For me, when I tried it, the smoky accord smelled awful, like a used ash tray containing some old cigarette butts. I still have a sample vial around here somewhere that I can use to try it again. I am always willing to give a fragrance another try. But a problem I have is that there are so many fragrances that I want to try that I don't have enough skin time for all of them.

At least I didn't buy Tea for Two blind!

With all due respect Rockford, youre insane. But arent all geniuses? Two for Two is an honor, nay a privelge to have in our lives.

With all due respect Rockford, youre insane. But arent all geniuses? Two for Two is an honor, nay a privelge to have in our lives.
    Well, I am neither insane nor a genius. It is just the way the frag works with my skin chemistry. Sometimes, a fragrance doesn't work very well with the skin chemistry of some people.

I have a lot of respect for the fragrances of L'Artisan Parfumeur, and I am happy that Tea for Two works well for you, as it does for many people on the board that I respect, including EnvYuS.

So, to turn the discussion back to the subject of this thread, I think the moral of this story is to be careful when you buy blind on someone's recommendation, because recommendations cannot overcome personal body and skin chemistry.

Like a few other basenoters, nearly all of my purchases are blind. The midwest sucks for sampling frags. My best blind purchase so far has to be Creeds Silver Mountian Water thanks to an excellent deal from CologneJunkie. It seems to work very well with my chemestry and everyone around me seems to love it. My two close runner ups would be Kouros Fraicheur and Angel Men.

My best BB by far was when I bought a bottle of Mare from scentemental.

Wow...I like Erolfa, but Mare is just in a class all on its own.

Terre D'Hermes, I saw a thread on it here, and went out and spent $65 and refused any testers they offered to spray for me! I had my mind made up even before smelling it.

Smile Re: The Best Blind Purchase You Have Made?

My best blind buys have been Relax, Basala, Dior Homme, M7 and Arabie

My Best Blind Buy was Guerlain Vetiver.

If I had ever tested this masterpiece I doubt I would ever have worn it again.

Thanks to all the good folks here at basenotes for punting it so much

Hi all,

You see guys this is something I do not understand even if it is on sales LOL

Scents are so personal !!!

Must be the LOTTERY BUY that keeps you going - will I or will I not LOVE THAT SCENT !!!!

YES that must be the thrill !!!!

Laurent
    Invisible Power

Mugler Cologne.

Cool Re: The Best Blind Purchase You Have Made?

Blind buy is something quite dangerous as scent is so personal to make decision of. You leave yourself little choice if blind buy a scent that you cannot live up with.
    I got such experiences too although I've been trying to sample everything first before I buy.
    My favourite blind buy is Azzaro Visit man and Azzaro Ph.
    Also like someone said, I love D&G By Men, so smooth and creamy.

The best blind buy that I have made so far is YSL Live Jazz.

I think of buying scents as being a personal treat. Buying blind is like getting a wrapped gift, you have no idea what is inside, sort of thrilling. Another factor that encourages me to buy blind is to get past the initial impression, and really get to know the scent. Many an acclaimed bottle has been passed over from initial rushed impressions. When I bought Mure et Musc for example. I thought that the first, second and third shots were awful. It smelled like pure musk to me. A day later I tried it again and it was as if there was a different parfum in the bottle..I loved it.

It's not always so rosy though. Based upon reviews I picked up Aramis 900, and I still can't used to it. Ironically it smells to me like thrills (the gum), after 2 weeks. If I had of tried Aramis 900 in the store I definitely would have found it unsuitable for me.
    I now mostly buy after giving it atleast an hour long test drive.

Today I am going to pick up Davidoff Relax from the Postal Outlet. Bought based upon peer review. My last blind buy for awhile.