Code of Conduct

Thumbs up First "unsniffed" buy: Ivoire de Balmain

Inspired by Basenoter comments, I purchased this at perfumeemporium.com.

I'd read in several places it was a smell-alike for Chanel No. 19. I've tested No. 19 EdT several times, but get put off by the sharp aggressiveness of the opening note and an odd funky note in the drydown. It's fairly pricy and I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $$ for a great middle note and okay drydown.

Ivoire's green galbanum opening is more rounded, although those aldehydes are definitely present. Middle floral notes are there just for a few minutes. The drydown is clean, a dry wood-musk. The Directory notes list raspberry iin there but I haven't found it. There is a slightly soapy quality, but not to the degree of Caleche.

This will be a great summer and wear-to-work fragrance. I'd count this one a success! Thanks y'all!

Default Re: First "unsniffed" buy: Ivoire de Balmain

Thanks for posting your impressions! I agree with your description, and just want to add that I love the leafyness in the topnotes of Ivoire. I also experience that this scent undergoes a very obvious and quite rapid developement compared to many other scents. I have a mini of Ivoire, but it is quite large so I wear it now and then. Successful blind-buys are fun!

I'm glad you liked it and thanks a lot for the quick review here! I love it as well and gave one review of it at the directory...i am liking blind buy more and more too!

Welcome in the fan club!

Smile Re: First "unsniffed" buy: Ivoire de Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSnow
    Inspired by Basenoter comments, I purchased this at perfumeemporium.com.

I'd read in several places it was a smell-alike for Chanel No. 19. I've tested No. 19 EdT several times, but get put off by the sharp aggressiveness of the opening note and an odd funky note in the drydown. It's fairly pricy and I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $$ for a great middle note and okay drydown.

Ivoire's green galbanum opening is more rounded, although those aldehydes are definitely present. Middle floral notes are there just for a few minutes. The drydown is clean, a dry wood-musk. The Directory notes list raspberry iin there but I haven't found it. There is a slightly soapy quality, but not to the degree of Caleche.

This will be a great summer and wear-to-work fragrance. I'd count this one a success! Thanks y'all!
    Interesting personal notes about both Chanel No. 19 and Ivoire, Texas Snow! Ivoire is my absolute favorite fragrance of all time, and you clearly have excellent taste! It's so well-balanced - floral and woody, earthy and warm, yet not overpowering or musky. And I always get tons of compliments, from men and women, when I wear it.

I used to wear Chanel No 19 (it was a gift) and while I somewhat liked it, I completely agree about the sharp opening note. It never became a signature for me and was surprised you indicated others mentioned it was similar to Ivoire, as they are nothing alike, and I've worn Ivoire for over 20 years. The only fragrance I've ever smelled that was even faintly similar to Ivoire, was Vivre - by Molyneux, but I haven't smelled Vivre in years.

If you like chypres, may I also suggest you look at K de Krizia? It's different than Ivoire - warmer and deeper (not the same florals to me), and a bit stronger, but really nice. Much more mossy.

Enjoy your Ivoire!
    Last edited by Herb_Lady; 7th August 2006 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb_Lady

I used to wear Chanel No 19 (it was a gift) and while I somewhat liked it, I completely agree about the sharp opening note. It never became a signature for me.......
    I should have indicated in my above post that I really tried to love Chanel No 19, but couldn't. I think I tried a bit too hard, because I disliked Chanel No 5, and felt that every woman should have a Chanel in her wardrobe, and was bothered that I didn't (hence the forcing of No 19). I also found Amazone (the original one, not the updated version from the 1990's) to be similar to Chanel No 19, much more so than Ivoire which is just so much warmer than either Chanel No 19 or Amazone. They're really nothing alike. I've never compared the notes, only because I totally prefer Ivoire, and didn't really care anymore about the ingredients of the others.

I have been a dedicated Ivoire wearer in the past and am thinking about adding it to my new little collection. Has this perfume been reformulated? Would I need to go looking for a vintage bottle to acquire the scent I remember loving?

I only see EDT for sale new. Do I remember correctly that was available in EDP?
    Last edited by sarafina; 9th December 2011 at 07:25 AM.

Herb_Lady, in your effort to like No. 19, have you tried the extrait? The extrait is my favorite perfume, while I moderately _dislike_ the EDT and EDP.

I, too, have tried to love Chanel No. 19. Just can't make myself. But I do love Ivoire. And I have never considered them alike.

Herb_Lady, have you tried Cristalle? Now that's a Chanel that I can love!

Blog Entries

Ivoire is a treasure. Did you get the parfum or the EDT? Both are fun and inexpensive. Really it is one of a kind. You might also like Madame Rochas. It has broome flower in it which is distinctly different and not especially sweet. More tangy and haylike/green.

For Chanel no. 19 I prefer parfum, it is creamier and more enjoyable by far. Plus the older original formulas were just better anyway.

Basenotes Plus

Herb Lady's post is FIVE years old- yet Ivoire is still a beautiful scent
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

My post is not five years old! And really, I would love some info on Ivoire about the reformulation issue (does it exist for this scent) and the kinds of juice it came (and) comes in (EDP/EDT?)

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

I'm not aware that it has been reformulated but don't know for sure...I have both an older bottle and a recently bought bottle, and they smell the same to me. Ivoire was originally release in EDT and EDP.
    Perfume intelligence says: Presented in a square shaped flacon designed by Pierre Dinand. Later marketed as just 'Ivoire'
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Another Ivoire fan here. It is such a chic, French, haughty/naughty scent.
    I have got my 17 year old Goddaughter hooked on it as well.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I've never smelled vintage Ivoire, but my modern bottle _smells_ gloriously vintage to me - it has the complexity and the lack of an excessive people-pleaser vibe that a vintage fragrance has. That's in contrast to the modern Vent Vert from the same house, which has, IMO, been reformulated out of all resemblance to the original.

Checked into Bloomies and Needless, but neither carries it. whaahhhaha.

But... amazingly it appears Le Grande Terre Target. Which is a bit embarrassing for some reason... they show EDT.

Is the EDP still made? Anyone know?

Blog Entries

I got mine on remainder at TJMaxx the first time. About 5 years ago. Later I got some perfume strength at at online shop.

Ivoire is a delight. Be happy with your purchase!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I own the current EDT and like it a lot.