Code of Conduct

Default What does amber smell like?

This is a strange question, given my decant collection, but what exactly does amber smell like?

I see different notes in the colognes I have, and am trying to figure out the differences, so I can know what notes I like/work for me, and what notes I really hate.

Default Re: What does amber smell like?

Almost like vanilla, but more earthy.

Come to think, I had a friend that had a block of real amber. It reminded of me of play-doh with vanilla added to it, in fact, the block itself was kind of doughy in texture. I can remember her picking it up, inhaling and exclaiming; "I LOVE this, it smells like cake!" The neat thing about it was that you could rub it on your wrists and it would stay on for two days.

S
    Last edited by stevolution; 30th July 2006 at 06:03 PM.

And the question that I always have is when a fragrance lists amber as a note, are they referring to ambergris (from the whale) or liquidamber (from the tree)? I get the sense they both smell sweet, though I suspect ambergris (natural or synthetic versions) would also smell briney or salty, an animalic sweetness like Ambre Precieux rather than a balsamic sweetness like Rocabar.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/ambergris
    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/liquidambar

Etymology: Middle English ambre, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin ambra, from Arabic 'anbar ambergris.

Ambergris is the waxy aromatic substance created in the intestines of sperm whales. The substance is related to cholesterol and is formed to protect the sperm whale from the sharp beaks and stings of its major food source, the giant squid. Ambergris was used to make perfumes. Ambergris and amber are only related by the fact that both wash up on beaches.

Tree resin is also called amber and has a delicate fragrance of pine-tree resins.

Ambergris can be described as having a musky, sweet earthy aroma or a mossy fragrance reminiscent of the damp forest floor. Poor quality or fresh ambergris (which is black and sticky) can smell like cow dung. The lighter colored ambergris has a subtle, pleasant smell. Usually, the cow manure scent fades as the ambergris cures. The white and grey varieties, in particular, possess the subtle, sweet aroma. (excerpted from the website: www.ambergris.co.nz)

www.profumo.it claimes that Ambergris is a pheremone!!!

I personally love the smell and find that it is in some of my most favorite fragrances like Zino, Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie and Hermes' Mervielles. Note, these fragrances probably don't have real ambergris because it is too expensive but instead use Ambroxan which is a scent chemical with ambergris notes. Love it.

Are either one of those the earthy, waxy, smell in Millesime Imperial?

Probably yes. I believe that ambergris is part of the Creed house note.

to me, a simple idea of the smell of amber oil would be: burnt smoky, tarlike, resinous, a bit sweet, and a bit vanilla-like with leather.