Code of Conduct

Default L'eau d'Issey PH vs Aqua de Bulgari PH

Hey

I'm a bit new to the whole world of fragrances so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm just your average 17 year old student looking for something a little different to the Polo Blues and Allure Homme Sports that seem to be popular atm at my college. They are both smells I like but the mass appeal of them puts me off them. A person's fragrance is supposed to be unique, right? =) I wear Hugo Energise most days but have of late become a little weary of it. It doesn't really grab me, if you get me.

After much walking, spraying and reading, I've managed to narrow my choices for a new smell to L'eau d'Issey PH and Aqua de Bulgari PH. I *really* took to the Bulgari virtually on first spray and I very nearly purchased a bottle (which is saying something. £33 isn't cheap for a jobless student like myself! =) ) However, with the L'eau d'Issey, although not really striking me as particularly interesting at the beginning (I found it a little too flowery for my tastes), after a few hours something changed. It smelled quite woody to me and really quite masculine. I liked =).

So my problem is which to buy :-s. Could any of you lovely fellows give me your opinions to both? I would love the Issey one LOTS more if it wasn't quite so flowery in its topnotes. Any alternatives that fulfil this requirement?

Thanks very much. I'm a long time lurker and I have to say you have a great community going on down here. WELL DONE! =)

Michael

Default Re: L'eau d'Issey PH vs Aqua de Bulgari PH

Hi, I've tested Aqua and really do like it, and as I own Energise I think it's in the same line of scent, but Aqua is fresher and less sweet.

For the L'eau d'Issey PH, I have never tested it myself, but have smelled it from a colleague a few months ago and of course, it was a drydown part. I like it very much, but still prefer Aqua. If you'd go for L'eau d'Issey PH, you might consider XS by Paco Rabanne as an alternative as it's cheaper and smells great.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

The Issey is strong juice. Many people suggest the "spray into the air, then walk through the cloud" method of application. That might help with the topnotes. My thought, though, is there are so many fragrances out there, that you can certainly find a fragrance that matches the basenotes you enjoy so much in Issey with a set of topnotes you love as well.

As for Bulgari Aqua, I love the stuff. I find it very moody and evocative, probably the "darkest" non-niche aquatic scent out there right now. The "stormy beach" descriptions are spot on, yet at the same time it's a relatively fresh and light scent. Unmistakeably masculine. Someone brought this up in another thread, and I agree with them, in that you need to let Aqua breathe a bit, if you spray too close, leaving a big concentrated wet splotch, the notes change a bit and it can get a touch overpowering. Especially with late summer and fall coming up, I can't see going wrong with Aqua.

I'm still on the Aqua de Bulgari train....I had a really bad experience with Issey...it was instantly sickness inducing...and only one other frag has ever caused a bad feeling and that was as mild of a bad effect as a headache (Aqua Motu) I have over 70 in my collection and only those two have ever caused anything nasty . Issey was really nausea inducing...don't know why...maybe an allergy or something but it was horrid. Bulgari aqua was great...very nice, captures what it's supposed to...very aquatic/oceanic...along the lines of Erolfa, but not as salty or pure sea, but Bulgari is slightly citrus, slightly more AdG like...but not nearly as common. It's a great fragrance...

nearfantastica

Interestingly, I've read a lot of posts praising Bvlgari Aqua.. perhaps it's just my nose, but I don't find anything particularily interesting about it..and I find that it wears very close to my skin and comes off as a bit of a generic type scent, which is odd, because I adore most of the Bvlgari fragrances..... Sure it's a people pleaser.. but so are a lot of scents. I used to be a big fan of L'eau D'Issey... but I find that I get tired of it very quickly..it is however quite dinstinct smelling, refreshing as some people have indicated.. but turns sour very quickly on my skin....

That being said, I suppose Bulgari Aqua, of the two would be your best bet..I think it's a bit cheaper? <not sure> and I don't think it's as easy to tire of..I guess it depends on your own desires.. I've got decants of both if you are at all interested in sampling a good 10ml of either of them to see which strikes you as the better option?

Anyway, good luck with your search!

a.

Two thumbs up for Eau d'Issey. Unlike another poster, I don't find it to be "strong juice" but I guess that's a personal thing. It's fresh and clean smelling - and it doesn't envelop this wearer in a cloud of scent - it tames down pretty quickly. This is up to personal likes and dislikes too, I suppose. I subscribe to the idea that you should only be able to smell fragrance when in close personal contact - like being hugged and the like.

I haven't tried Bvlgari PH, but I'm big fan of l'eau d'issey. I've had a couple of samples of it and I think it will be my next purchase(well not including, super cheap clear outs at the drug store). I find the soft floral notes are very sweet and inviting, and it drys down through a very warm almost golden smelling set of notes. It is a touch on the heavy side, but, it's not too heavy that it turns over powering in even 30 degree celsius weather. I wasn't sold on it when I first started taking fragrance seriously, but now after a little development I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

L'eau d'Issey PH was my first scent ever, and I've loved it ever since. I'm in Chicago this summer and for the past 10 days we've had 90-100F heat pretty much every day and L'eau d'Issey PH has been my staple in that time. Some people can get sick of the scent if they apply too heavily, but I've never personally had that problem.

I've got some Bvlgari Aqua for trade if anyone is interested.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Both are my ever favorites for spring and summer, but if I'm forced to choose only one maybe I'll pick Bulgari Aqua PH while really hesitating!!!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

I'd go with L'eau d'Issey PH

Issey is weak as hell these days. The original 90s formula lasted all day, night and into the next one and people in the next club could taste you walking by.

These days, not so much.

Both are very solid but I would go with issey for projection

I have both and if I was forced to pick I would go with the issey. My wife hates it though.
    The Bvlgari doesn't seem to last long on my skin. I'm not sure if its one I will be repurchasing when it's gone.

Aqva is the better and the more unique out of the two.

Basenotes Plus

NB - "Last Activity:13th November 2006 08:18 PM"

Somehow I doubt whether the OP will be coming back to look at his thread six and a half years down the line

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    NB - "Last Activity:13th November 2006 08:18 PM"

Somehow I doubt whether the OP will be coming back to look at his thread six and a half years down the line
    They may take their time when making decisions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Puds1970 View Post
    They may take their time when making decisions.
    You're not kidding !.