Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Legit Compliments

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Not so.
    --Chris
    I'll second Chris!!!

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Not so.
    --Chris
    "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" was built on this premise.

Quote Originally Posted by xirdneh69
    "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" was built on this premise.
    Basenotes isn't.

This thread has run its course and isn't on legit compliments anymore. It isn't the place to talk about nice shoes marking a man as a homosexual or similarly ridiculous cautions.

Thank you all. If any gentlemen wish to discuss my actions locking this thread, I'll be happy and honored to discuss by PM.

EDIT:
    I think I was too quick to lock this thread, and thus I've opened it again. I guess it is pretty clear what I think of the subject matter in the turn that the thread has taken, but if other members want to talk about the issues raised regarding legitimate compliments, I beg their forgiveness and urge them to go ahead. I make mistakes often, and ask readers's indulgence when I do.

If, however, the subject gets further off topic and into realms for which Basenotes isn't suited, I'll lock it.

Thanks,
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 1st August 2006 at 10:07 PM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I don't hold it against you DustB, I knew I was treading thin water with the gay stereotype comment. Anyway, this one probably has ran its course.

I remember I did get 2 compliments from the younger crowd. It wasn't about colonge.
    More about looks. They came from 2 different Sales gals at 2 different times. One called me "Gorgous". The other thought I had "Beautiful Eyes". They worked at lotion Kiosks at a mall. I knew they just wanted business. They were full of it. Legit Compliments they were not.

I have received ligit compliments while wearing Kiton Men, Black Aoud, and Encens et Lavende as of late. I rarely receive complements on my lighter collections. I wonder if it is because no one can smell them?
    Last edited by Scentologist; 21st November 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xirdneh69 View Post
    they'll assume you're gay! It’s an embedded stereotype in our culture, men into high fashion prefer other men.
    I disagree. I think this is stereotype about stereotype. There are all kinds of women and they prefer all kinds of men. And many prefer those who smell and look good.
    --------------------------------------
    Anyhow, I like getting compliments when I get them, and enjoy wearing my fregrances as much as I can.
    Last edited by Boal; 21st November 2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I understand what the original poster is saying. I wear cologne to smell good.. I have very few colognes I am very fond of. But to me they all have a good quality. No cologne trully is repulsive to me, except of course the good ole DrakkarNoir!..

I do not get compliments ALL the time, but I do know people smell me. Especially when in a social enviornment, such as a party. Usually when I get a compliment it is when they are close to me.

I've only like 2 times have been stopped to be asked what I am wearing.. Which I've never disclosed. As for incessantly being approached for a smell, I doubt it happens unless you smell like a cocktail of Reindeer piss and Shaqs ass sweat post game..
    Last edited by J.Riv; 22nd November 2007 at 01:35 AM.
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

there's no point second guessing compliments - if you've got friends who treat you with honesty and respect, they'll compliment you genuinely. if not... get new friends?

if i wear something my friends dislike, they tell me. if they like it, they tell me too. one thing that is assured, though, is that i like everything i wear.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by xirdneh69 View Post
    Good luck luring those women with your Italian Shoes. The shoes may make them gush and tingle, but BELIEVE ME; they'll assume you're gay! It’s an embedded stereotype in our culture, men into high fashion prefer other men. I'm sure women would think the same thing if they were keen to our exquisite fragrance taste, but the great thing about frags is very few are in the know.

What culture is this again?
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

to me, a legit compliment is either body language or a "you smell nice.." comment.

One legit compliment I got was when i entered the buss wearing l'Eau d'Issey.

3 girls who were talking stopped their conversation so suddenly that it was really obvious they were very impressed with the smell. Amazing moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    One legit compliment I got was when i entered the buss wearing l'Eau d'Issey.

3 girls who were talking stopped their conversation so suddenly that it was really obvious they were very impressed with the smell. Amazing moment.
    Can I ask how much you were wearing..?

Lmao.. he was wearing his weight in D'Issey...

At that point it becomes 'swimming', not 'wearing'...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I rarely get verbal compliments, but with keen observations, it is easy to tell if one is receiving a 'legit compliment' by noticing someone entering your personal space. Sometimes when females get particularly close to me and enter my scent radius (especially when it is unnecessary and voluntary), it can be legitimately construed as a compliment. In my opinion, of course.
    Agreed, I've noticed that a fair bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayknight View Post
    I had this happen not long ago where I was enclosed in a room with four gents, and two started snifflling. My scent of the day was a popular topic of late:

Yatagan

As such I stopped wearing Yatagan to the workplace. I like it, but I am not going to be an ass about my choice of fragrance.
    Are you sure the Yatagan was the cause of the sniffling? It could have been anything. I wear Yatagan to work all the time and never get any negative comments, verbal or non-verbal.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    At that point it becomes 'swimming', not 'wearing'...
    Lmao, he was cloaked in D'issey.

To me the discussion is all about insecurities wearing colognes beyond the standard ones within our own small communities of whatever (co-workers, sports team, neighbors, friends, family . ..etc.). And we wouldn't call that collection of bottles a wardrobe if we didn't choose our fragrance with the same care as we selected our shirt and tie. Compliments on what we wear for whatever occasion signals acceptance. And who can live without a little reassurance here and there? It would certainly be wise not to take compliments on cologne at face value. It is much easier for us to control the way we dress than it is to control whatever scent message we want to send. As long as there is no polite way to tell someone he overdid it, a compliment can simply be chosen to say: 'I can't help noticing - you smell !'

Where I live, it's not a custom to ask what brand someone is wearing. Even if it kills me, I must leave it to the wearer if they want to reveal their little secret. Most of them won't! Men's wear in Europe used to have their labels inside. Then came the crocodile, Levi's, the Calvin Kleins. Maybe Tom Ford will be the first to come up with wrist bands for his fragrances so we can also see what men smell of !
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd November 2007 at 10:00 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hey guys, I only used 3 sprays of it, 2 to the throat and 1 to the chest.

So no overspraying at all.
    HAH

Or are you the type of guys who walk through clouds of perfume....
    And please don't say 3 sprays of Issey is overspraying, as i read people wearing 70 sprays of Kouros.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 24th November 2007 at 11:02 PM.

I think the OP has a point.
    I've worn fragrance pretty much everyday for the last decade, and rarely have receive a compliment. I discovered the reason is because most couldn't smell it - I have dry skin and don't wear much. (I've been braver as of late. I've loving L'Artisan perfume and have been spitzing freely. ) My niece told me, after hugging me and sniffing my wrist that I have "some really good smelling soaps". Also, co-workers have told me (after I opened up about my interest) that they didn't know I wore perfume. This after working with them for years and wearing it everyday!
    I've noticed lately that I receive more compliments, and I think it has more to do with them knowing that I'm a perfume fanatic. lol I think they simply want to be kind, and make me feel good about my interest.
    I agree about spritzing liberally. That's not just for the wearer - they definitely want to share the love.

I don't know if my friend was talking about my SOTD...but he said it smells like someone just sprayed a can of Axe.....I was at a coffee shop (Starbucks) going over notes with a friend. I took a sniff and couldn't smell anything, so he could have been taking about my SOTD, but again I wasn't sure. He also couldn't tell where it was coming from....didn't say if he liked it or not either.

I was wearing Le Labo Patchouli 24. I never liked this before, but it smells so nice on a really cold snowy winter day.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 3rd December 2007 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I don't know if my friend was talking about my SOTD...but he said it smells like someone just sprayed a can of Axe.....I was at a coffee shop (Starbucks) going over notes with a friend. I took a sniff and couldn't smell anything, so he could have been taking about my SOTD, but again I wasn't sure. He also couldn't tell where it was coming from....didn't say if he liked it or not either.

I was wearing Le Labo Patchouli 24. I never liked this before, but it smells so nice on a really cold snowy winter day.
    I got a backhanded compliment one day from a younger teenager while wearing Ungaro III. She is the grand-daughter of someone I work with and she came up to me (I think she has a bit of a crush on me. Eh, guess I'm not that ugly for being a quarter century :P) and said "Oh my god, you smell amazing. What are you wearing?" This was my first time wearing Ungaro III as I had just gotten the bottle the night before, and was feeling quite ecstatic as I told her what it was, until she replied "Oh, I've never heard of that. I really like Axe a lot though, too!"

Ouch.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd December 2007 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typos

One fragrance that many feel is dated and cheap but carries really well in the open air is Eternity. It has a very nice green drydown. I was told I smell nice and sexy while wearing it. I have always looked down on it but one day while shopping for BMWs, the salemans smelled so good and I had to ask what it was. He said his wife buys him Eternity by CK. I was floored! I could not believe it.