Code of Conduct

Thread: my friend

Default my friend

is getting in to fragrance cause of me. also he has a lady he wants to impress. he told me he likes fresh, clean stuff. so we are gonna go on a cologne hunt soon cause i need a new one myself, particularly for fall weather, but thats not the focus here. i dont want him to get into the stuff that smells like everythign else or that everyone owns(ADG, etc). maybe might want to take a risk with something that isnt fresh or clean, i dunno. want to break his safety bubble of cologne just a little. anyway, a scent that is overtly masculine without being super clean or super woody. kind of a transitional fragrance for leaning in between clean scents and dirty scents. i think that sounds good for a fall fragrance, which is just what he needs(i already have ideas for myself).
    suggestions?

Default Re: my friend

A very good fresh fragrance would be Geir - you can ask Vijay. For a 'transitional' fragrance, I'd suggest Givenchy Pour Homme or Bogart Pour Homme, they're very good, and probably not on everyone either. Givenchy Gentleman is another excellent perfume.

Bulgari Aqua? It's unmistakeably masculine, and aquatic without being fresh/citrusy, and doesn't go woodsy either. Yet it's not a hammer-you-over-the-head oriental that might scare him away if he's just starting to adventure outside the fresh/clean realm. It also strikes me as perfect for fall, as it's the "moodiest" aquatic scent i've smelled.

Two other thoughts would be Kenzo Pour Homme (just love this scent all around, an interesting aquatic/woods hybrid that was my first step out of the fresh/clean box) or Terre d'Hermes (which is perfect for fall in my eyes).

My first recomendation was going to be Geirr Ness also!

You might want to have him try Givenchy Blue Label. It's got a a fresh openning of Grapefruit, Hedione, and bergamot, and has a nice woody drydown that still remains fresh. Good longevity, too.

Bulgari Aqua and Givenchy Blue Label are somewhat similar, though the Bulgari is better. So if you're deciding between those, go with the Bulgari. Just don't overapply it. It goes bad if you do. Awesome stuff if lightly applied though.

When I read your description, the first scent I thought of was Kouros Fraicheur. I plan on wearing it a lot this fall. It's hard to find in person, but it can be had for around $20 online. Good stuff.

Overcome By Fumes

Lancome Sagamore

It is popular, but Black Code is a great choice.

I would, also, recomend Live Jazz and Bvlgari Black.

All three are great for dates...

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    a scent that is overtly masculine without being super clean or super woody. kind of a transitional fragrance for leaning in between clean scents and dirty scents. i think that sounds good for a fall fragrance, which is just what he needs(i already have ideas for myself).
    suggestions?
    My suggestion for a fragrance that meets your qualifications is Carlo Corinto Vetyver. This is a very long lasting, fresh (but not too fresh) Vetiver EDT that has very pleasant herbal notes and a little soapiness.

In regards to Carlo Corinto Vetyver, you might find this thread to be interesting reading: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=172042

Also, the cost of Carlo Corinto Vetyver is quite reasonable.

And for a slightly different approach, I would also recommend:
    - Terre d'Hermès by Hermès
    - Dior Homme by Christian Dior
    - Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    Last edited by Rockford; 1st August 2006 at 03:44 AM.

Serpent

Someone is addicted to fresh-and-clean scents, and you want to branch him into something more odd?

You want Kenzo pour Homme. The blue bamboo bottle. It smells of seaweed and beer, the murky smell of the real sea, not that fake plastic bilgewater crap. It's really unique and complex, yet it's still fresh-and-clean. And it gets compliments, too.

From there, it's straight on to Comme des Garçons...
    Last edited by Serpent; 1st August 2006 at 02:50 AM.

we just went to Macy's today without checking this thread and your suggestions and he and i checked out allure homme and the sport version and they were both radical. allure homme felt like it was good for evenings/dates and allure sport felt great anytime. he was very much digging the allure homme though, but he wasnt sure if that's what he wanted. anything similar to allure? it felt classy and mature, but not stuffily/grandfatherly so. also, i havent run into any of the fragrances you have mentioned except for bulgari aqua, givenchy blue label, and black code(i dig that one a lot). where can i find these colognes i see so much of but can never seem to come by? besides internet.

its not exactly "Fresh" but 2 issues ago, Playboy recommended Terre D'Hermes....
    -

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    where can i find these colognes i see so much of but can never seem to come by? besides internet.
    It depends on where you are. Your country flag reads "Abu Dhabi," and I can't speak much to shopping in the UAE (though Dubai is supposed to have awesome shopping).

Higher-end department stores like Barney's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, and, in New York, Bergdorf Goodman, will carry a lot of smaller, more exclusive lines like Serge Lutens, Creed, Penhaligon's, Bond No. 9, Jo Malone, L'Artisan, Etro, and so forth, depending on the store. Smaller, city-specific boutiques (in L.A., these would include ScentBar, Apothia, Palmetto, Kalologie, and Maxfield, to name a few) also carry hard-to-find, artisanal lines.

For designer scents department stores don't carry, you can search out Sephora, which tends to have a different, sometimes broader selection (such as Kenzo) or Ulta. Or you can look for a Perfumania or other dedicated perfume-only store. Using an online yellow pages, you might look for "perfume" in your city.

I'd check out:

Hermes Terre D'Hermes
    Givenchy Pour Homme (Red Bottle)
    Essenza Di Zegna

Some say Allure Homme Sport smells like Geir but I wouldn't know, never smelt AHS. If you want something that smells like Allure, try Boss #6 and it's also called Boss Bottled.

Good Luck

I was also thinking Geir in response to this. Also try Rive Gauche and any vetiver scent.

Start him on a few classics, Aramis 900, Havana, Anteus or egoist ! so he can appreciate the gold! then move onto the more modern.

Personally if he was my friend i would advise him to try -

you need something he can smell all day to keep his interest levels up!!!

Creed Erolfa or green irish tweed

or if a bit too pricey try

Burbury brit / B men
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Whoa! STOP! Shouldn't this be something worked out between he and his girlfriend? This might be a good premise to go on another date for the both of them to settle on a scent they BOTH might like.

genvy5, I know the heart is in the right place, but maybe he could spread his wings after he chooses something the girl enjoys smelling on him.

Question is, is it really that hard for some guys to figure out what scents they like or dislike? Why bother at all if he can't choose something for himself...it's like my mother buying clothes for me, being well over the age of consent and all. Might as well wear velvet knickers and a big red satin bow if this is the case.

Sorry for sounding so heated, but to me scents is all about individuality and self expression, regardless of how one gravitates to a popular scent. It's an even bigger plus if a significant other can share the appreciation of what you wear.

I thought we were quite understood about "chick" and "babe" magnets here around this forum???

A bit dirty and masculine? Yes, Boss Bottled popped up in my mind, followed by 212 men, and what else could it be but Gucci Envy?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Shouldn't this be something worked out between he and his girlfriend? This might be a good premise to go on another date for the both of them to settle on a scent they BOTH might like.
    No offense to the esteemed distaff members of Basenotes, but women can have some really terrible taste in what men wear. I've been in an office where I wore Givenchy Gentleman, Équipage, Pour Monsieur, Scent Intense, and Comme des Garçons, and the guy who got all the compliments was the one the next cubicle over in generic snoozers like Polo Blue and 212 Men. I've also seen girls flock to the Nordstrom counter with a couple of guys and tell him, "You've got to wear this!" And they then douse him with Le Mâle (shudder) all over. Even a friend of mine who has elegant taste in what she herself wears - her favorite scents include Alpona and L'Or de Torrente - is cold to everything I wear except when she catches me on weekends in Lacoste Essential. I've found women, with some exception, don't go crazy for men who smell of leather or heavy wood or fine old smoking rooms. Four times out of five, they just want a man who smells... hygienic. Or like a sexually ambiguous candy store.

If the goal is to make him smell unique, don't take him shopping with a woman. Not unless you know that she has real taste in men's scents...
    Last edited by Serpent; 1st August 2006 at 09:10 PM.

Have you been in a relationship lately? This is about a relationship, and you share the same intimate space. Nothing more off-putting than a girl I'm going out with that doesn't smell great and definitely vice versa! Geez, get a clue! It's not like he has to stick with just one kind of scent either. He'll learn along the way.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 2nd August 2006 at 06:42 AM.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Have you been in a relationship lately? This is about a relationship, and you share the same intimate space. Nothing more off-putting than a girl I'm going out with that doesn't smell great and definitely vice versa! Geez, get a clue! It's not like he has to stick with just one kind of scent either. He'll learn along the way.
    So by that reasoning, his woman should pick out what clothes he wears, how his hair is cut, and what music he puts on the stereo? Those are all intrusions into "personal space." And he should do the same for her? Get your own clue.

There is such a thing as individuality. If she can't accept his choices, and he has to constantly bend his personal preferences to her caprices, that's a sad match indeed. Come to think of it, why is his male friend picking out a scent for him? The best bet seems to be letting the man wear whatever he feels like...

I think Azzaro Visit would be perfect.

Zanzibar would be a good choice.
    Better to say, rereading your specification, kind of perfect for your purpose.

imaverick, where on earth did you get the idea that my friend even had a girlfriend in the first place? no offense but i found it a rather.. wacky assumption. and im not gonna pick the frag out for him, im just getting ideas on what we should go look at for him to try.
    thanks for the ideas.