Code of Conduct

Thumbs up John Varvatos Vintage at Saks already!

Hey everyone, first post. Since i absolutely love the original Varvatos fragrance, i thought id let everyone know that it is already available at Saks fifth avenue. I heard it was going to be out in september, and i saw it today, smelt it, and bought it. It's pretty different from the original, but still pretty smooth. Just a quick heads up for all those anticipating this awesome release.

Default Re: John Varvatos Vintage at Saks already!

Since the fragrance is called Vintage, does it remind you of the 80's scents or is it really old school? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by xirdneh69
    Since the fragrance is called Vintage, does it remind you of the 80's scents or is it really old school? Just curious.
    I believe its a revamping of the original varvatos, supposedly aimed at an older customer, and hopefully with less vanilla in it. I think the name is designed to fit in more with varvatos' brand profile as a designer: lived-in, earth-tones, rough-around-the edges and classically masculine in a Steve McQueen way.

DARN IT! I was at Saks only four days ago, and I didn't see it there!

But, then again, I was too busy focusing on the niche scents.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    I believe its a revamping of the original varvatos, supposedly aimed at an older customer, and hopefully with less vanilla in it. I think the name is designed to fit in more with varvatos' brand profile as a designer: lived-in, earth-tones, rough-around-the edges and classically masculine in a Steve McQueen way.

Steve McQueen masculine? That's a tall order. Who else could wear a cardigan and be that bad ass?
    If it is, I would be inclined to buy it.

Hello as4160 and Welcome to Basenotes. thanks for the Heads Up....I will be headed to Saks here in a few minutes.....Hope my Saks doesn't let me down.
    Thanks again and Welcome to basenotes.
    Gary

Was it in the pewter bottle?

How much was it?

Yep, its the same shape as the original with a gold cap instead of silver, and the leather around the body of the bottle is designed like a sort of mock snake skin. Definately a very cool bottle, even more classy than the original. I bought the 4.2 oz for 70 dollars, and it was worth every penny. It's most definately a very interesting scent. The best i can compare it to is a cross between Creed's MI with it's opening to a fruit/spice combination similar to Dolce PH.

This is a very interesting scent for sure. It seems like Vintage goes thru 3 or maybe 4 stages.....at least on my skin.
    At 1st it seemed average and then all of that changes. I will resample for sure. I ended up with a Large Bottle of Un Jardin de Med. by Hermes....Wonderful scent....I already have the Sur Le Nil by Hermes....
    Vintage is worth a try.
    Gary

I found the vintage to be quite average...the original is better.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I found the vintage to be quite average...the original is better.

KO

any other deatails on the notes or character of it? I have a sinking feeling that its gonna be Kenneth Cole Signature with a splash of leather

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    any other deatails on the notes or character of it? I have a sinking feeling that its gonna be Kenneth Cole Signature with a splash of leather
    I don't know what else to compare it to, but to me it smells like a stripped-down version of the original...more easily digestible for the masses, i guess.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Just picked this up at the Saks here in Jersey. Actually, I got the last bottle as they are sold out of it temporarily now. Anyway ...

The best I can say about this it's very, very similar to what they did with DK Fuel and Unleaded. ( No, JV smells NOTHING like DK ). The new Vintage Varvatos ... as with Unleaded ... is a hint of the original frag, with a lot missing. To me, the best parts. The Original Varvatos has much more depth and character. The Vintage feels like a "watered down" version of the original. Also, along the lines of the DK product, the Vintage has very little sillage and short longevity. I sprayed it on at the store (generously) and half an hour later when I got home, it was barely there. I figured maybe it was the tester, so to make sure, I doused my hand and arm with it. About half hour later, it's still there ... but barely.

This will probably work fine as an office scent if you don't want to offend anyone. (the original is probably a bit too heavy for the office). Maybe as a warm weather scent too ... where your body heat can kinda project it a bit more. Also, I thought I read where this scent is targeted at the "older" gentleman. I say ... bullcrap. This can be worn by anyone. In fact, it reminds me slightly of Armani Code ... an "anyone" frag.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the Original JV, I think you're gonna be disappointed in this one. That's not to say you shouldn't try it ... as this is only one person's opinion.

I purchased it today at Nordstrom. I kind of was worried upon first whif as it smelled like it could have been anything by Kenneth Cole (light, fruity top notes), but it goes through several transformations and dries down into a very nice base.

There are hints of the original in here, but it really is a different fragrance--there's a funky note somewhere in the middle that's quite pungent, almost rancid in a way, but I can't help but continue sniffing.

The base has a nice tobacco note in it, something akin to Le Dandy in feel and gives it that "gentlemanly" feel (I went back and read the preview from nowsmellthis from several months ago). This certainly isn't a formal fragrance by any means, but it sort of makes the original feel a tad bit more casual in its approach.

Perhaps not as unique as the original, I think Vintage is every bit just as good without being too much alike.

I also sampled Prada which I liked. It went through a number of stages in its development as well, however, I'm wondering if I'm not the only one to think it smells a bit like Escada's Magnatism?

Anyone else give this a go now that it seems to have made it to all the department stores? It does share whatever that main, defining note is in the original (the date fruit note?) and initially does feel a like a stripped down version of it. In fact, if you told me the first John Varvatos was a concentree version of Vintage, I would believe you. However, the tobacco drydown of Vintage eventually takes over and departs into something different...very, very smooth. I keep telling myself I don't need both the original and Vintage, but I have been drawn back to the store several times to sniff Vintage again. I have both on my wrists right now and it is a tough battle.