Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for a work cologne

All,

After deciding on Creed MI as my "going out" cologne, I am now in a search for a wear-to-work cologne. I'm in my 30's and work for an engineering firm. To be read: charcoal and navy blue suits, conservative 50 to young 20's roaming around. I can't wear anything too funky. My only requirement is that this cologne lasts at least past lunch! Any recommendations?

TNMA

To answer DJB: No, it doesn't have to be similar to MI; I like trying new things. That said, I am more into the aqua/fruit/grass/clean/soap smells. That, and I really despise smelling like anyone else!
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 1st August 2006 at 05:54 AM.

Default Re: Recommendations for a work cologne

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    All,

After deciding on Creed MI as my "going out" cologne, I am now in a search for a wear-to-work cologne. I'm in my 30's and work for an engineering firm. To be read: charcoal and navy blue suits, conservative 50 to young 20's roaming around. I can't wear anything too funky. My only requirement is that this cologne lasts at least past lunch! Any recommendations?

TNMA
    What type of frag do you have in mind? Something similar to MI? Need to know more about what you like and don't like.

Creed's BdP?

Try doing a search for "office work cologne". We've had many, many, many threads on this subject already.

Bvlgari Pour Homme or Mugler Cologne

Overcome By Fumes

It may not be easy to find but Lancome O pour Homme is right there: green, elegant, sophisticated but not overbearing. And no way you will smell like anyone else...

Philosycos by diptyque, lovely green to start, then by lunch will be a citrusy coconut!

great stuff. plenty of reviews on here, i bought mine at the weekend.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

My candidates are:
    1. Bvlgari AQUA
    2. Bvlgari pour homme
    3. Azzaro Chrome
    4. Tommy Boy (yeah you're not a boy but this scent is good)
    5. Armani Mania
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Baldessarini - Hugo Boss
    L'Homme -Lanvin

Those are my ready standbys for office.

My office environment is apparently more permissive and I wear all sorts of stuff to work (other than those darn 'romantic' scents).

I would say Gendarme is a good choice, although I personally don't like it very much. It would last you a good 6 hours I think. Also, try Himalaya if you haven't yet. The lasting power on that is only about 4 hours, so depending on when you get in/take lunch, it might work for you.

Gendarme -it's subtle and won't offend no matter how much you wear.

Gendarme and Mugler Cologne are both excellent choices. I split my office time between Gendarme, Mugler, and Clean for Men.

I don't think you can go wrong with Creed. They are a very gentlemanly style colognes. Good for office work.

From your description, this is the one for you IMO: Cannabis Santal

Clean, descrete(low sillage), lasts on me for 8 hours or so, and NO one else will have worn it or smelled it !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I wore Chanel Allure Sport Homme this morning for meetings. It was subtle and very appropriate. I also used the Hair and Body Shampoo and AS Balm.

I should have used more cologne, though. In this heat, 2 sprays is just about gone.

Chanel's Platinum Egoiste might do well also, but I certainly agree with the earlier suggestion of Bois du Portugal.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

GEIR by Geir Ness. A good scent to wear for work environment.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

You might want to check out Terre d'Hermes as well as Kiton Men. They're long lasting citrus scents that are pleasant and won't offend.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    To answer DJB: No, it doesn't have to be similar to MI; I like trying new things. That said, I am more into the aqua/fruit/grass/clean/soap smells. That, and I really despise smelling like anyone else!
    Then I'd agree with those that suggested Gendarme, Bulgari PH, and Mugler Cologne. Being that you want something that lasts, Gendarme is available in an EDP "Gendarme 20" and Bulgari PH is available in an extreme version, although I think the regular version lasts well enough (on me). You might also like to try Amouage Arcus which is an excellent citrus/fresh fragrance. Others worth trying from this line would be Silver Cologne (it's a cologne but lasts like and EDP, with lots of sillage so as long as you're easy on the trigger) and Dia (my personal favorite). You definitely wouldn't smell like everyone else wearing these! : )
    Last edited by DJB; 1st August 2006 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I wore Chanel Allure Sport Homme this morning for meetings. It was subtle and very appropriate. I also used the Hair and Body Shampoo and AS Balm.

I should have used more cologne, though. In this heat, 2 sprays is just about gone.
    Well, I'm happy that we aren't fellow-workers
    But seriously, I don't think this scent would be the best offering for this purpose.

One more suggestion : )
    Divine L'Homme d'Coeur. It's fresh, subtle, and different. Notes include angelica, juniper berries, cypress, iris, vetiver, ambergris, wild vanilla

Terre D'Hermès is not only the perfect work cologne; it's just perfect, at any time!

Another good office-wear is Guerlain Vetiver.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

This one kind of goes against the grain of your “aqua/fruit/grass/clean/soap” preference, but I’d have to say Creed’s Baie de Genievre (how is this stuff pronounced?) is the perfect work cologne. Lets face it, work is not about smelling pretty and feeling clean, its about getting stuff done and if anything is going to bring out the competitive spirit its this potent concoction. Put this stuff on and feel your testosterone rise as you and your engineering friends build an empire!

In fact, if I ran a company every employee would get an 8oz falcon of this raw carnal scent and I would sit back and watch production levels soar.

Along w/ my first suggestion of Creed's BdP,
    perhaps you should consider some of the following:

Gucci pour Homme

Dior Homme

Cuiron Pour Homme by Hellmut Lang (although it may be a discontinued scent and thus hard to find)

GIT?

The former three tend to smell a bit "soft" on me, and the latter seems to be a winner to many in this board.

Welcome, BUT....

You haven't told us enough about what you like/dislike to make a good recommendation.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I dunno man ... maybe it's just me. But I don't see BdP as a "work" fragrance at all. It's too heavy and "formal" ... to my nose.

Ah ... like I said. Maybe it's just me.

Although my Bvlgari PH is on my swap list, I do think it is about the best for office. (and I'm not just saying that to try to get you to trade!)

Terre d hermes....never smelled it, (I'd really like to!) but I've heard it smells a bit like weed (marijuana). Needless to say, if this is the case, I'd refrain from wearing it to the office! lol

Hit me up if you're interested in my Bvlgari.

I'd second that Bvlgari recommendation. You can't go wrong with it.