Code of Conduct

Default C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne ?

Has anyone tried the Bay Rum cologne from this legendary NYC pharmacy?
    This is not your fathers bay rum.
    Very fem and very sexy.
    It reminds me of another fragrance (not a bay rum), but I can't place it.

From their website:
    "Our original formulary Bay Rum has been a timeless favorite through the decades. First developed in 1907 in our Greenwich Village Apothecary, this warm and exotic frangrance masterfully blends bay oil, citrus and spices. In honor of its unique legacy, we have kept the formula true to the original found in our legendary archives."

Default Re: C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne ?

Quote Originally Posted by EdeC
    It reminds me of another fragrance (not a bay rum), but I can't place it.
    Chanel Egoiste ?

I just picked up a bottle of this at Bath and Body Works...great stuff...wouldn't agree with the characterization that it is "fem", but its take on Bay Rum is smoother - no harsh edges but with the spiciness still intact. Haven't done a longevity test yet, but so far, at $39.50 for the full size, it is a good value. I think its spices are going to make it a great Christmastime fragrance for me this year.
    Last edited by CM Wolff; 13th November 2006 at 04:29 PM.

I just discovered this scent this past weekend @ Bath & Body Works. Its a wonderful spicy scent almost Christmas like. Its the first Bay Rum with long lasting and sillage on me.

I purchased a bottle on ebay below cost.

Talking Re: C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne ?

This was briefly discontinued, but now it's back! Great stuff. Anyone who has any interest in bay rums at all should try it. I wrote a review of this one for Basenotes, but it was around the time when the server issues started, so it hasn't been posted. I think I said something like "it's what every handsome dad would smell like in an ideal alternative universe."

http://www.bigelowchemists.com/produ...oducts_id/3904

I still like Burt's Bees Bay Rum better, but the Bigelow is VERY good and -- like Burt's Bees -- is a great bargain, to boot. The George Trumper is SUPERB, but a tad expensive. (Btw, I have one extra bottle of George Trumper Bay Rum up for swap -- just click on my swap list.)

The Bigelow is much smoother than most bay rums. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the sharp, old school "clove-iness" of the Trumper, whereas other times the mellowness of the Bigelow appeals to me. Both, IMHO, are better than the highly medicinal Danish import that Caswell-Massey distributes (I forget its name).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd September 2007 at 12:23 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I just ordered a NIB 3.4 oz bottle of No.032 Bay Rum by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary @$29.50 including shipping. I had smelled it once and liked it but forgot the fragrance name! Thanks for reminding me EdeC.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

My partner spritzed on some of this from my bottle yesterday and when he got home, I hugged him and said he smelled great and asked what he was wearing. (I'd never smelled this on anybody else before and I hadn't worn it in a while.) He told me it was my Bigelow Bay Rum, so I wore it today and it was a nice reminder about this scent which has never developed a very extensive basenotes following. It's beautiful - soft yet very manly. Bay rum, spices, vanilla, and last 12+ hours. I love it, love it, love it!

Post Re: C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne ?

I agree with most of the above. This is one of those like Clubmans Special Reserve, that has been around a long time, but for whatever reason kind of flies under the radar. Nothing earth shaking, but none the less a solid performer.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I picked this up last year for $10 at a B&BW's sale. It's a good, basic scent that with no great shakes. I get a lot of cinnamon from this one.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976