Code of Conduct

Exclamation Miel de Bois : My admiration vs. Girlfriends`s nausea

I know many of you must have these kind of stories to tell, when there is some specific scent that you love, but someone who spends much time near you, cannot stand the smell.

Please tell, if you like to share your experiences in this matter.

Well, to me there is Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens. I did like it from the first sniff, but afterwards I`ve fallen completely in love with it. Now, it is definitely my favourite Lutens, and for sure the first full-size SL bottle I will buy (after I`ve run out of my decant + couple of samples).
    In this scent the most fascinating quality is the evocative nature: I can`t put my finger on it exactly, but it reminds me of something which is apparently very important to me.
    I also respect the uniqueness of this scent, and the bold charachter. It`s indeed impressive scent, that I would like to wear very much in the future. But...

...I have a problem : my girlfrind can`t stand this scent. And this is nothing small; I mean she absolutely HATES it!!! If I wear it anywhere close to her, she gets pissed off and even a bit aggressive...starts to rant, like: "really, why you won`t believe me when I say that thing is vile!! Why can`t you respect my will by not wearing that anywhere near me?!?"

She says it makes her sick and that she is about to vommit any second now...In other words, it makes her literally sick!!
    And this comes from a woman who likes Kouros very much, and doesn`t have any problems with Muscs Koublai Khan.

Okey, even imo MdB is probably the most controversial Lutens scent. Of course, scents like Tubereuse Criminalle and MKK challenge your nostrills for sure, but still...

Miel de Bois is the extreme take on honey, and as we well know, honey based scents have a usual quality to turn out very uriny, at least in some part of the drydown. And for sure, I have heard this from my girlfriend too, and I even agree with it - sometimes MdB reminds me of urine.

But as I very naturally seem to like challenging, controversial scents, this urine-note is not a problem for me. And of course there is much more than that in this amazing fragrance : Delicious dry woods, freshly picked flowers and that beautiful, intoxicating flavour of concentrated honey with very sticky beeswax thrown along.

Beautiful fragrance, that is truly very black and white : either you love it or...well, like my gf actually said (this evening while I was wearing it) : "There is something in that scent that makes want to throw up - physically as well as emotinally."

Default Re: Miel de Bois : My admiration vs. Girlfriends`s nausea

Man, what can I say, you've got to keep her happy. My wife absolutely hates Eau des Iles. So I try to wear it when she's not around. Afterall, what a husband is good for other than keeping the wife happy.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I say wear it when you're not around her. Then you both can be happy.

As a side note, I can understand why she hates Miel de Bois. I find it too medicinal and it reminds me of some sort of cough syrup. The honey in it is a bit too raw for my tastes.

First off, I, too, hate Meil de Bois. It smells like sticky old popscicle sticks to me.

Second, well...second.... Man, you shouldn't make your girlfriend nauseous. Besides the obvious difficulty of reaching orgasm while gagging, nausea is very psychological. Cancer survivors five years out can still get nauseous driving by the hospital where they got their chemo.
    I was hyperemetic with my pregnancies and had IV's every third day for a while. My husband had a new Sly and the Family Stone CD he played alot. I liked it.
    Sam is 11 now, and Sly and the Family Stone makes me queasy to this day.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I adore Miel de Bois, but I know that there are people who absolutely loathe it. Since you are involved with one who is in the latter category, I'd shelve the purchase of a full bottle.

There's a really amusing review of Miel de Bois here:

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...s-miel-de.html

"The honey that opens Miel de Bois must have been taken from some very interesting bees indeed, ones that might have been getting pollen from wild boar. Wild boar with issues....."
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Why can`t you respect my will by not wearing that anywhere near me?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Hahhaaha, I`m not exactly sure what you meant by that, but I can assure you that I`m not completely pussy whipped in my relationship.

I think it`s appropriate for her ask to ask me this, especially since our apartment is so small!

Btw Genuine, thanks for that link. An interesting read!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Miel de Bois the only sample out of hundreds I've smelled that I actually
    threw away

rather than subject the world to its release from its tiny glass chamber.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Not to hijack or anything but as a musician and a medical professional...Chicat, Sly has ALWAYS caused a gag reflex...even growing up near Pittsburgh where they adopted "We are Family" as like an anthem for our baseball team...uggh! I'm worried that the Steelers will adopt the YMCA and then, I'm out of here....running for the nearest border... =)

My s.o. had the same reaction when I'd wear Musc Ravageur so I had to sell the bottle. I miss my MR! : (