Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tried Rive Gauche and Kouros today...

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi

It led me to think that maybe the males more commonly perceive something animalic in Kouros that the females do not. Is this seeming ability of men to more commonly smell the animal notes possibly a remnant of our hunter-gatherer past? Who knows. The sample sizes are too small, and this is just one frag, but it's an interesting thought. I'd like to see a real researcher in an academic setting take this on.

Just some wild speculation from an informal researcher...
    Or perhaps it's just that a very small group of males who are smell confused have survived into modern times in the same way as the colour confused ones have?

Remember - it's women who are generally acknowledged as having the better sense of smell, and who do not suffer colour confusion in the same way men do.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by dirk
    second: oakmoss absolute act inn de middle note as well as in de base note of a perfume!

I can detect oakmoss if it is in the "absolute" form even into the topnotes because of the pungency of the substance. Rate of evaporation is one explaination for the topnotes/midnotes/basenotes separation, but in the actual construction of a scent, the basenotes are usually tackled first because ingredients do not remain in the category assigned to them, but lend of themselves to the entire blend. It is in the basenotes that oakmoss is most prominent and therefore we label it a "basenote" ingredient. However, in a simple construction of say, oakmoss + lavender + yuzu, you'd get the oakmoss penetrating to the topnotes due to the insufficient buffering between top and midnotes. In that example, i purposely chose light and thin ingredients to illustrate the point. The entire creation then becomes a chypre.

Quote Originally Posted by renato
    I don't agree. Those cakes are at their most acrid when the cleaner throws them in and flushes. That smell continues to come about after the continual flushing of fresh water over them. And it's only bored children that make a habit of aiming for them.
    ... well... it was just lying there...

Last edited by milamber; 5th August 2006 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Or perhaps it's just that a very small group of males who are smell confused have survived into modern times in the same way as the colour confused ones have?

Remember - it's women who are generally acknowledged as having the better sense of smell, and who do not suffer colour confusion in the same way men do.
    Renato
    Well, I was thinking that perhaps men better smell the animalic scents, since being the hunters in that distant past, they were the ones that had to track them to survive. (The women's better overall sense of smell could be explained by the need to smell while gathering to determine what's edible and what's not.) By this logic, those men that could not smell the animalic notes would have survived in lower percentages.

As for color confusion, if there were a "very small group" of "smell confused" men surviving into modern times, why would they comprise such a high percentage of Basenoters (relative to their percentage in the general population)? Seems it's at least 50-50 here. Maybe seeking out new scent experiences would be more attractive to that group...there's always more to the scent than meets the nose!

Both are interesting - and highly speculative - possible explanations. Either way, I still think it would be an interesting topic for someone in academia to study.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Both are interesting - and highly speculative - possible explanations. Either way, I still think it would be an interesting topic for someone in academia to study.
    I agree.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I have both of these. I prefer rive gauche for work. 2 sprays on the chest works for me. I have the intense version. For some reason if you work in a really cold or air conditioned place it smell superb! as with the kouros too.

My wafe hates them both though. My Daughter who is 4 loves kouros, smells like christmas she says. (soap wrapped up in gifts !) good description really.

The secret i have found with kouros is have a shower real early in the day, get really clean, then spray 5 - 10 sprays on your body NOT neck.. yep you read right. 10 hours later when you go out it is wonderful soapy clean manly.

I do get a slight " saturday morning car park stairway " accord in the first hour but that turns into " Fresh cow pat in a green field" a few hours later. but in a good way! (gotta love it)

Both are classics and should be respected!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Post Thanks / Like

Mind-blowingly inspiring posts and fascinating info from Scentemental. Thanks for the spectacular effort.

Kouros
    "in general"
    :

Those who are in full touch with their sexuality like it. Those who aren't, don't.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th August 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    ... inspiring posts and fascinating info from Scentemental.
    Contributions above the average made this thread almost enjoyable to read. I never thought I would want to rate a Kouros thread better than one *!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Those who are in full touch with their sexuality like it. Those who aren't, don't.
    There is some truth in that also! The fascination with Kouros threads seems to have grown bigger than the interest in the fragrance itself. And while this one is still active, a new thread is on it's 6th page already. Whatever this may indicate, there is more behind it than scent addiction. Anyhow, after these seven pages I won't be able to target at u-cakes w'out thinking of some fellow b-noters any more...
    Last edited by narcus; 18th August 2006 at 06:16 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.