Code of Conduct

Thread: Ylang Ylang

Default Ylang Ylang

For the past 4 years I have worn my own combination of Ylang Ylang essential oil mixed with patchouli as a perfume... but now I am growing bored of it and want something more complex. I want something that still says Ylang Ylang and is sexy and seductive. I like Y by YSL, Nocturnes by Caron, Jean Paul Gaultier Classique and Passion by Annick Goultar. But I want to know what people like in general, or more specifically, what do men like? Please tell me what your experiences are with any of these perfumes?

Default Re: Ylang Ylang

Lalage

About 5 years ago I went through a period where I wore wear ylang ylang essential oil straight. Not first grade ylang ylang essential oil, but third grade, which works much better as a soliflore, the first grade being far to heady to wear straight.

I think two men's fragrances in which the ylang ylang note is tamed and integrated, but still salient--not an easy thing to do--are Gendarme V and Tiffany for Men. I think a failure to tame and integrate the ylang ylang note can be seen in Damien Bash's Lucifer 3, where its heady and jagged edges are the Satanic horns of the fragrance.

Hadrien Absolu EDP (or Eau d'Hadrien EDP, its identical women's version) has a salient ylang ylang note at its center. Over spraying it, will bring it out to the point of unbearableness. I have found the trick is to take Eau d'Hadrien EDT, where the ylang ylang note is a minor one, and spray it a number of times and then finish off the application with two to three sprays of the EDP. That way, one gets the best of the citrus from Eau d'Hadrien along with a manageable and pleasant dose of ylang ylang from the EDP.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd August 2006 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lalage
    For the past 4 years I have worn my own combination of Ylang Ylang essential oil mixed with patchouli as a perfume... but now I am growing bored of it and want something more complex. I want something that still says Ylang Ylang and is sexy and seductive. I like Y by YSL, Nocturnes by Caron, Jean Paul Gaultier Classique and Passion by Annick Goultar. But I want to know what people like in general, or more specifically, what do men like? Please tell me what your experiences are with any of these perfumes?
    try penhaligon's cornubia when you want to be seductive and penhaligon's blue bell when being in a contrary mood. both are high in ylang-ylang!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too have a special love of the Ylang-Ylang or cananga note in my perfumes. Luckily for me my chemistry tends to tame many of the wildest fragrances and I find that Ylang become pretty and extremely feminine on my skin.

Favourite perfumes with a significant Ylang-ylang accord / note are:

Givenchy Ysatis - begins as a very complex heady floral, very 80's, but the Ylang mellows out to beautiful honeyed feminine delight with devestating sillage. I receive many compliments when I wear this. Men become more attentive and chivalrous whilst women frequently ask for the details of my great perfume (to buy for themselves) and are always shocked / disappointed when they learn it is Ysatis I am wearing.

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue - Starts of a very sweet, melancholy perfume - blue velvet. But eventually, when least expected the Ylang-Ylang begins to send out its siren call and the whole blend becomes completely seductive.

Caron Nuit de Noel - Morphs the same way as L'Heure Bleue except it begins black velvet instead of blue.

Crown Perfumery Matsukita - Sublime! Smooth, honeyed... Can seem soapy to some especially when worn in daylight or warm weather but come fall... *happy sigh*

Yardley Bond Street - This is another divine blend. i am very lucky to have the tiny bottle I have. They don't make them like this anymore, mores the pity.

Acqua di Parma Acqua di Parma Profumo - perfection. Wears as a haunting skin scent with exquisite sillage.

Annick Goutal Songes - a wonderful modern expression of Ylang-Ylang.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Guerlain has the perfume called Terracotta Voile D'Ete which is a ylang ylang based scent. They also have the Aqua Allegoria scent that is Ylang and Vanille.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    Guerlain has the perfume called Terracotta Voile D'Ete which is a ylang ylang based scent. They also have the Aqua Allegoria scent that is Ylang and Vanille.
    I was SO tired when I answered last night - I can't believe I forgot these two beauties!!

Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete is perfect in spring & summer. Sadly I can har dly smell it on myself in cooler weather. But I find it very similar to my beloved Crown Perfumery Matsukita.

I have a fluctuating love / hate relationship with Guerlain AA Ylang & Vanille. Most of the time I find it very difficult to wear as I find it very creamy bland, sweet and powdery - like adult baby powder. It would smell lovely once it had completely dried down but the journey 'til then? O vey! I have sold and given away decants in an effort to get rid of it. However since falling in love with Matsukita and through that Terracotta I have been smitten by the beauty of this sadly discontinued scent. Still a little too sweet but otherwise divine. I tend to layer it with the others to add variety.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Talking Re: Ylang Ylang - thanks!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your suggestions and interesting information about Ylang Ylang in perfume! I'm going to have such fun discovering all these fragrances you've mentioned, they all sound absolutely delightful. Thanks!

Surprised nobody mentioned Samsara..positively dripping with Ylang ylang

Quote Originally Posted by Lalage
    First of all, I truly believe you should wear what YOU like more than anything else.

For ylang ylang dominated scents, you can try Aqua Allegoria's Ylang Vanille (which is very sweet), and also another Guerlain - Mahora - for a more complex, white floral, that also has coconut and tuberose notes. Another Guerlain scent - Chamade - is a lovely chypre composition that uses ylang ylang in a most interesting way. I used to have a ylang ylang soliflore in my line (Ayala Moriel Parfums) called Coralle, but I had to discontinue it from my line because ylang ylang is not a very popular scent unfortunately. It is now available only on special order. It had notes of ylang ylang, geranium bourbon, coconut and other tropical notes.

There have been several threads in the past that covered what men like. And there are the famous research about how men's most favourite scents (in the Western world, anyways) were vanilla and pumpkin spice... From my experience, men do like vanilla on a woman, and also cheerful and subtle sweet florals (perfumes such as Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens, Spring Flower by Creed, Diorissimo, and creamy, delicate white floral scents - for example Tamya and White Potion from my own line - are ones that I always get compliments on from men), but also ambery vanillic scents, even if not very heavy or "in your face" (Espionage is my all-time favourite and always gets lots of compliments).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I do love Spring Flowers on my wife and it is her favorite. Got to try that orange one that Ayala mentioned.

Sam