Code of Conduct

Default Perfumes banned public in Scandinavia

I just have read in the newspaper -no tabloid- that Denmark and Sweden probably will ban using perfumes at public places - workplaces, etc. The reason is that they may cause headache, allergy, other serious symptoms for other people. Unfortunately I can't find the news on the web in not-hungarian languages. Have you heard/read about this? Are we endangered?

Default Re: Perfumes banned public in Scandinavia

similar situation being proposed over a 2 year time period in my city of ottawa, canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I just have read in the newspaper -no tabloid- that Denmark and Sweden probably will ban using perfumes at public places - workplaces, etc. The reason is that they may cause headache, allergy, other serious symptoms for other people. Unfortunately I can't find the news on the web in not-hungarian languages. Have you heard/read about this? Are we endangered?
    I live in Denmark and I have never heard about that. Don't know where you could possibly have read it but I can assure you that is is not going to happen here...........

Mic.

I have heard these news and I think they are very serious: I would be suprised if there won`t be some sort of ban in the future.
    I don`t want to kill anyone due to their allergy, but if this law ever reaches to Finland, I`m looking forward to being real badass outlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    similar situation being proposed over a 2 year time period in my city of ottawa, canada.
    Wha?? Is that for real? Is that what the Harper team is up to at the moment? Sorry, I'm out of touch. I'm a Canuck living abroad.

This is sad news if this is true....I would think that here in the states the department stores would really put up a huge fight along with the fragrance companies....Fragrance is a huge reason that many people shop at the malls....to take away fragrance or the ability to wear fragrance....would really hurt the economy....I hope that I am long gone if this ever happens.
    Gary

Though I didn't find the original news upon which the hungarian paper stated it, but with intensive searching I found some interesting things. From them it seems that especially in Europe there is an intensive researching in the fields of how perfumes affect our lives.

http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:...u&ct=clnk&cd=6

'Perfumes are increasingly used in an ever wider variety of fields, including perfumes proper, cosmetic products, hygenic products, drugs, detergents and other household products, plastics, industrial greases, oils and solvents, foods, etc. Their composition is usually complex - it involves numerous natural and synthetic sweet-smelling constituents, more than 5,000 of which are known. Perfumes may produce toxic and more often allergic respiratory disorders (asthma), as well as neurological and cutaneous disorders." from the French toxicology journal, Ann Dermatol Vernereol, Vol 113, ISS 1, 1986, P.31-41'

Though I didn't find the original news upon which the hungarian paper stated it, but with intensive searching I found some interesting things. From them it seems that especially in Europe there is an intensive researching in the fields of how perfumes affect our lives.

http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:...u&ct=clnk&cd=6

'Perfumes are increasingly used in an ever wider variety of fields, including perfumes proper, cosmetic products, hygenic products, drugs, detergents and other household products, plastics, industrial greases, oils and solvents, foods, etc. Their composition is usually complex - it involves numerous natural and synthetic sweet-smelling constituents, more than 5,000 of which are known. Perfumes may produce toxic and more often allergic respiratory disorders (asthma), as well as neurological and cutaneous disorders." from the French toxicology journal, Ann Dermatol Vernereol, Vol 113, ISS 1, 1986, P.31-41'
    Sandy-- that article is interesting. Thanks for sharing .
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Haven't heard about it, but a lot of work places informs their employees to cut down on the usage and dosage when it comes to fragrances. Isn't that just common sense though? I've never thought of it as something new... I see it as turning off your cellular phone while going to the movies, just out of consideration of others.

I doubt there will be a public ban on using fragrances in shopping malls etc. Who is going to control such a law anyway? It would be hillarious to see them make it work, trying to decide who smells enough of fecal fragrance notes for them to arrest the poor soul. It can't be done...

In Saint John, Canada perfume is already banned on public transit and in a lot of work places, I think it has something to do with us being progressive. But its only enforced if you come in reaking of fragrance, e.g. some fresh highschool grad who comes to working after bathing in his dad's sBrut so that he can impress the girl in the cubicle next to him at the call center, he'd get sent home to wash. It's been that way for the better part of the last decade, but the thing is, as long as no one complains you're ok, so you just have to use a little common sense....do I really need that fifth spray.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I doubt there will be a public ban on using fragrances in shopping malls etc. Who is going to control such a law anyway? It would be hillarious to see them make it work, trying to decide who smells enough of fecal fragrance notes for them to arrest the poor soul. It can't be done...
    Well yeah, exactly. How are they going to determine if you're actually wearing a fragrance or if you're using another scented product, since so many stuff today has a fragrance? (Hair products, detergent, you name it.)

On the other hand, I think that the fact that it's getting more and more talked about lately says a lot. A large amount of people suffers from olfactory fatigue and simply because they don't know better, they'll happily spray like 15 times just to make sure people will "enjoy" their scented company. Perfume is such a misunderstood luxury these days.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

It's people like my evil neighbor that makes people propose these laws. Maybe we should just ban inconsiderate people who bathe in cheap nasty perfume!

Hmmm - seems a lot of people are complaining about perfume - why aren't these same people complaining about people with bad body odor, bad breath, stinky feet, dirty clothes or even the smell of cigarette smoke. I notice it when co-workers go for a smoke break and come back smelling of smoke. Should we send them home to shower up???

There's always going to be that one person who will overspray - usually does it cause it's free (i.e. someone else bottle) - Hmm maybe that's why many samples are now only 1ml - can't spray too much on

Speaking of over spraying has anyone ever watched those axel and tag commercials. Maybe this is why the general public is starting to spray too much? The last commercial I saw had a guy spray his stomach, chest, arms, head and back. Yes his back!

Bottom line - I notice many more people with bad body odor than people who overspray.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V
    Bottom line - I notice many more people with bad body odor than people who overspray.
    Top line - show me a research stating that body odor may cause allergic symptoms

Hmmm - seems a lot of people are complaining about perfume - why aren't these same people complaining about people with bad body odor, bad breath, stinky feet, dirty clothes or even the smell of cigarette smoke. I notice it when co-workers go for a smoke break and come back smelling of smoke. Should we send them home to shower up???

There's always going to be that one person who will overspray - usually does it cause it's free (i.e. someone else bottle) - Hmm maybe that's why many samples are now only 1ml - can't spray too much on

Speaking of over spraying has anyone ever watched those axel and tag commercials. Maybe this is why the general public is starting to spray too much? The last commercial I saw had a guy spray his stomach, chest, arms, head and back. Yes his back!

I partially blame AXE as well....the fact that it's a continous spray stream is scary....however from a marketing stand point it's utterly genious....people can run through the can 10x faster than a bottle of cologne.....

Maybe cologne should come with intructions on spraying....should solve the problem...

I can understand it being a problem for people with allergies, but if used in small doses, i don't see why it would be a problem at work, etc.

Top line - show me a research stating that body odor may cause allergic symptoms
    It can certainly cause people to retch, which I would consider equivalent to an allergic symptom.

Quote Originally Posted by keylogic
    Wha?? Is that for real? Is that what the Harper team is up to at the moment? Sorry, I'm out of touch. I'm a Canuck living abroad.
    hah, harpers the prime minister its just a by law for ottawa for now...

Well, it may not in any case provoke an allergic reaction now, but I surely can show you a different kind of reaction though: like profuse vomiting... but yeah, really, that is not the same thing is it? So then, try working in a small enclosed space with a woman who did not bathe regularly, always wore a few layers of clothing and has never heard of deodorant... Oh and yeah, I will go there too... eats the kind of food that seeps out of every pore in your body making all of us in the pharmacy I worked in while in university nauseous and always on the verge of vomiting... oh yeah that has got to be much better! Goodness I don't miss those days at all!!!!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Oh and yeah, I will go there too... eats the kind of food that seeps out of every pore in your body making all of us in the pharmacy I worked in while in university nauseous and always on the verge of vomiting... oh yeah that has got to be much better! Goodness I don't miss those days at all!!!!
    Already I mentioned in a thread that at my wife's school there is a teacher who has such a strong garlic-odour, that even the pupils make remarks about it. I don't know what I would do if he were my fellow-worker and should spend hours each day in a room with him?

Sandy - just yesterday I went shopping and some guy was washing the floor - the body odor from his arms pits were smelling from 20 feet away - it made me so sick inside - I had to hold my breath. Even after him passing - I could still smell it. (the most powerful silliage I've ever experienced - in the most negative way) Reason for that smell - him not washing himself and wearing the same shirt over and over again working as a janitor.

Now - would you touch this guy??? I can't imagine all the germs and bacteria growing on him. That's whats causing most of the smell. Now think about SARS and the Chicken Flu. Best case - he might just have athlete's foot or some skin rash. Now imagine that this guy works with you or he's your customer.

Do you still need a research paper?

The only thing worst than this, is this guy over spraying with some cheap perfume.

Sandy - just yesterday I went shopping and some guy was washing the floor - the body odor from his arms pits were smelling from 20 feet away - it made me so sick inside - I had to hold my breath. Do you still need a research paper?
    There was a smiley, but thanks for the remarks
    But seriously: times are a' changing - the smell of the armpit had in the past special meaning:
    '...Which would explain the old American custom for a man to keep a handkerchief in his armpit while dancing. After the dance he would present it to his partner.'

http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:...u&ct=clnk&cd=3

But similar was when the flamenco dancer gave the handkerchief to a lady after dancing. Imaging the hot spanish summer, it didn't always have the smell of a rosegarden, yet the lady might love it, otherwise the dancer would soon be executed

In a joking manner.

I find this very similar to the sexual harassment joke - It’s only harassment if the girl doesn’t like you. In this case – it’s only offensive (or causes an allergic reaction) if s/he doesn’t like you or your scent.
    Last edited by Johnny_V; 6th August 2006 at 09:48 AM.

Sandy - I know you had the smiley there - I'm just yaking to argue one extreme

But - I never heard about the handkerchief thing - I gonna read up on that right now. Sounds interesting. The first thing that comes to mind is Phermones.

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by Johnny_V; 6th August 2006 at 09:29 AM.

I just don't see how an outright ban could ever be policed.

And where will it end - soap? Shampoo? Deodorant? Air freshener? Floor cleaner? Any scented product?

Progressive? So I'd rather smell other people's b.o's huh?I love that cheese and bologna smell! Love it! That's rich!!!!!!!!!! Ban on car audio bass,ban on perfume,what's next? Are you guys imitatating Singapore? It's a "fine" city!!!!!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47