Code of Conduct

Default Help from a female perspective

Some of the fragrances I like are also worn by women. Ok, I have tried to narrow down these colognes as possibilities. It is hard to wrap your brain around how a written description will actually smell. Most of these colognes are some spice and some woody, so I want something that is not like Creed MI or MPG Eau des Iles. If you can elaborate on how appropriate they are in situations great. I am looking for a cologne that lasts, that is not close to the skin, not earthy (vetiver or Voluer de Roses for example) or too powdery, but rather is appropriate for office wear, early dinners (I do not go clubbing) or church. I am 46 if that helps

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Nicolai's New York
    Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Tea for Two by L'Artisan
    Mure Et Musc and Extreme by Lartisan Perfumer
    Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
    Arabie by Lutens
    Ambre Sultan by Lutens

Sam

Edited to take out MKK by Lutens
    Last edited by finsfan; 4th August 2006 at 06:51 PM.

Default Re: Help from a female perspective

Hi Sam,

First of all, I think that your list of likes is fantastic... But, I will say that I find that Musc Ravageur is pretty close to the skin on me... with a little bit of wafting in the air and around me... I think it's a very sensuous scent that could be pulled off for office-wear (because it'd not loud or in your face), but I would prefer to wear it for going out after work... I think it could work very well for those early dinners you enjoy. Not sure that I would wear it to church though… However, I think that Ambre Sultan might be a perfect one all around and would work for all the situations you name and your life-style... I do admit that I have not tired either Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi or Nicolai's New York but judging by the others on your list they too must be fabulous... One other thing though, depending on your skin Musk Kublai Khan can be tricky but if it works for you… that is one magical scent… I do love it on my husband while on me it’s really out there LOL
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I’ll just go down the list of what I know.

Nicolai New York- A gorgeous chypre, very classy, not too subtle, think you could wear this to office and dinner, maybe not church. This one has some sillage from what I remember.

Musc Ravageur- IMHO is too close to the skin for what you’re looking for I think- but I know tons of people are crazy about this one, so my opinion might be in the minority.

Chergui- a lovely fragrance! I think this would be your perfect, all-around, office, dinner, church scent. On me this one is clean and sweet with an underlying tobacco note that keeps things from getting too syrupy. A very beautifully balanced fragrance IMHO.

Fumerie Turque- Goodness this one is gorgeous! So complex, very intimate, yet sophisticated enough to wear out. This one reminds me of all the Oriental perfumes I have ever loved. It may have too much powder for you. Early dinners out- yes. Office- I’m sure you could get away with it. Church? Probably borderline.

Arabie- I don’t wear this one, but love smelling it. It has a dried fruit, smoke, desert, raisins, spice market feel to it. So incredibly unusual, but it does take a certain personality to pull it off. If it works on you I think this would be another all-around good fragrance to wear, mostly because it is unusual. If you have an opportunity to try it- do try it.

Ambre Sultan- Very smooth, clear, golden amber- sweet, deep, rich, gets drier as you head into the final notes. You just can’t go wrong with this one. It is sexy but not so blatant that you couldn’t wear it to church. Dinners out- definitely (spray on more please!) Office- if used with restraint, most certainly okay.

Musk Kublai Khan- This one I wouldn’t wear out unless you want people to think you don’t shower after exercising. I know it works beautifully on some people but…this one doesn’t always behave in the same, predictable way. I think it’s too risky to wear this one out- especially if you’re in contact a lot with the public.

To your list I would also add Andy Tauer’s L’Air du Desert Marocain. A gorgeous, dry amber fragrance- only slightly sweet and floral into the heart but afterward, it’s all about the dry notes. To me, this one really does smell like a warm, dry, desert wind. Another wonderful, take-you-anywhere fragrance IMHO.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I think that Guerlain's Mitsouko in EDT would smell gorgeous on a man's skin.

Dependent

Nicolai New York is classy and versatile and is my pick for your purposes from your list.

What scents would you recommend that meet the following criteria:

1. Not another Creed, though I would get Bois du Portugal
    2. Not a powdery or powdery sweet/barbershop scent like Trumpers Spanish Leather
    3. Not earthy (Voluer de Roses) or Vetiver
    4. Not soapy
    5. Not aquatic (Acqua di Gio)
    6. Smokey is ok, but I want something that is not going to be similar to Eau Des Iles
    7. Moderate projection vs. close to skin and longevity
    8. Probably considered a niche
    9. Not vanilla or chocolate
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did get to try 3 creeds today, to mixed review of the wife and daughter.

REL: bubblegummy, least fav of all of us
    Original Vetiver: A wearable vetiver, for me, but soapy
    Citrus Bigaradde (sic): I liked it, daughter did, wife said smells like old rich woman.

Got a sample of the new original santal

Sam

Doc: Tea for Two, Arabie, Ambre Sultan, Chergui, New York, seem to be at the top of the ones I listed

Things I used to wear: Calvin Klein Obsession and Eternity, Polo Sport, Safari, Romance, Bijan, Lagerfeld, Piper Nigrum

Fumerie Turque is a delight, but I don't see it as an office and church scent. Chergui is a better bet, I suppose, but I have problems with Chergui--it always strikes me as unfinished Fumerie Turque. But...that may suit you, as a Cherqui lover could easily think FT is just 'overboard,' plus FT has the tonka and also vanilla which you may not like.

If you are kinda after a Lutens, I'd recommend trying Encens et Lavande to fit the criteria and go to church. The incense vs. lavender is a delightful contrast and perfectly balanced, creating a rich impression that avoids heaviness.
    Last edited by Shycat; 5th August 2006 at 09:22 AM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

heart of ice

My favorites on your list are: Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Ambre Sultan, and New York. But honestly, Ambre Sultan is probably way too sexy to wear to church, but you have to give it a try anyway!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Shannon: the SL you listed all seem to come to the top of the list, and the NY is said to be the most wearable in all situations. Those four then seem to be the ones I want to try, and yet, the SL's are the hardest to come by. One other one is the Encens de Lavanda. I just love the Root English Lavendar candle that my wife burns, so much so that I had to get lavendar shave soap and lavendar linen water to spray on my pillow. I think a lavendar-woody, say lavendar/amber, would be a good cologne.

In Memphis, we are the black hole of the universe. Colognes for men, well all department store. No nice mens care lines that are not like Clarins or CLinique, and maybe that is due to our makeup of culture and income.

I told my wife next time we are in NYC, she can hit Soho for 3 hours, but I will have a map of the shave shops (Cambridge Chemists, Pasteurs) and the cologne emporiums (Aedes in particular) and hit them all with taxis, all planned to go to buy, not to shop, lol

I went to Aedes and they did not have most of the SL's. One person told me to wait for Fumerie Turque, as it may be released in the fall. I also am going to try the Montale line. See what happens when I am gone for 2 years or so (also thinning my herd like crazy)? New lines pop up or get more recognition.

I am Sam and I have cologne acquisition disorder. The best acquisition disorder to have.

Sam

Lavender? Did someone say lavender?

Have you tried Caron's Troisieme Homme cologne? This is a glorious fragrance -- a fougere with both fresh and dry lavender, as well as a lively citrus top note. There is some amber in the drydown, I think.

I love this so much that I wear it occasionally -- the initial impression is very champagne-y, very moderate projection and there is something about it that can change my mood. A male friend tried this one evening and this smell on him made me weak in the knees.

I can see this as a decent fragrance for any occasion -- work, dinner or church. It is especially lovely and light for summer.

Of your list, Mure et Musc seems like it'd go from place to place the easiest. Great casual scent, and not earthy or powdery, just clean and not really so sweet (it's like a whole lot of Musc and a little bit of mure). Nicolai New York is also a great casual fragrance but more like dressy casual, but also still not too heavy or offensive. Have you tried L'artisan Passage d'enfer? That could be a good one, very soft incense.

Poppy: That is kinda what I am looking for, a dressy casual to a very dressy, commanding scent. I wear MI in shorts and it can work, but also works well when I go into court. Something along that line, but not the same scents as the three I have (GIT< MI < and Eau des Iles)

Sam

I think I have it narrowed down. I dont know what makes MI and GIT smell good on me, but I do know things that wife does not like

Powdery, although a tad can help (Trumper spanish leather smells like a barbershop sweetness. Also, while I like Bois du Portugal by creed, it gets sweet)
    Leather (royal english leather by creed smells like bubble gum on me)
    Tobacco (new tabarome, sorta ok)
    Vetiver
    Earthy smells
    too much patchouli (Givenchy Gentleman)
    acidic smells or metallic (Acier Aluminum, and to a degree, Himalaya on me)

I think Orientals do well on me. Some of the colognes we liked were Obsession, Safari, Romance, Polo Sport, Eternity, Lagerfeld and Perry Ellis. Bijan for a while. I think some all have the oriental to it (Other than Polo Sport and Eternity - the creeds kinda take those places).

Eau Des iles, on me, had the coffee and a little smoke and creamy sweetness to it. great for late fall into winter. I need something for now until say the weather dips below 50 degrees. Oriental meets spicey perhaps? Any recommendations?

heart of ice

Have you tried Jaipur pour Homme? Spicy, creamy amber, almost pure perfection and dead sexy!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu
    Have you tried Jaipur pour Homme? Spicy, creamy amber, almost pure perfection and dead sexy!
    Yes, and it gets too vanilla-like on me. Ill spray some on again when I hit Macy's but Boucheron was very bright on me, kinda lemony, but stayed "high" as far as a male scent, if I can put what I mean into words. Jaipur, I tried it like 5 years ago, and ocassionally will smell it on a card, but it was very vanilla, like Lemale

Sam