Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I'm falling in love with Drakkar Noir!

I picked up a tiny mini bottle the other day and can't seem to get enough of it! Drakkar seems to have just about everything I am looking for in today's scents, even a bit of nostalgia factor. Seems very well balance, not too deep, not too shallow, and good quality. I think I might actually have to get a big bottle. It's almost like it was so popular at one point, that people stopped wearing it because of this and moved on. Now, as an enthusiast, I can appreciate it from a more legitamate view. Anyone else still (or again) a fan? Or is this one just WAY too played out? THe girls of today are so lost in the consumerist marketing of modern scents, that this one almost represents a little secret to me!

Default Re: I'm falling in love with Drakkar Noir!

Man... I'm 20. Wore it all through high school. I love the stuff. I heard it was for 40 year olds. Too bad.

Connotations aside, this is a terrific scent; but donít kid yourself perfectfeet, anything with Dale Jrís face along side it is still popular.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore it for a year straight when it came out. Great stuff. Really fine choice. Wear it now, I say! It is just plain winner. Yes, as afficionados of scents, we can look back at the things that zoomed to popularity and came to ridicule, but we can really get into them on our own because they're just plain fine juices. Any complaint with DN has to be with its popularity, not with what meets the nose.

A good one for rotation, but also a great one to use as a signature scent.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the 80's beeotch!!!

I still dig Drakkar N, for all of its bad reputation. I mean what is more manly than a fragrance named Black Dragon? I think overuse- both in volume and in distribution- are what kind of put this one in the infamous category. But used with discretion, its a winner.

If you dig this one, you might sample Franscesco Smalto and Tsar. Tsar being Drakkar taken the dry direction and FS the sweeter.

I really like this fragrance. Besides being outstanding and non-offensive, it lasts and lasts!

Post Thanks / Like

This was my first ever fragrence back in the day!

I still have a bottle. I haven't worn it for a long time, but I'm tempted!

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually my SOTD today. I "re-discovered Drakkar earlier this year and it is now one of my favorites. Beautiful blend of notes, classic, long-lasting, masculine, great bottle. It's the perfect fragrance. There is a reason it was so popular. It was damn good and still is. Sexy too.

Post Thanks / Like

The other possible side effect of wearing this now is that you might run across a hot late 30's early 40's woman, freshly divorced, who's first love might have worn this!

The smell of this might stire up some of those feelings (smell is the sense most closely related to memeory after all) in her and you might be in for a wild night!

Pre-basenotes, Drakkar was my one and only through a 1.7oz. and two 3.4oz. bottles. I really liked it and I got lots of compliments, but I kind of burned out on it. Based on it's ubiquity in stores, I'm sure it's still very popular if that bothers you, but I definitely think it deserves respect.

In addition to VC&A Tsar, I also find YSL Jazz to be in the same ballpark (although others have disagreed in the past).

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

it is a very manly sexy scent for sure.

laurent
    Invisible Power

Post Thanks / Like

You don't get that many sales with it not also being good. I used to love the stuff. I really am surprised that the brand name itself has not been extended to revitalize its popularity. ie. "Drakkar Silver" , etc.

Drakkar Noir is kind of a paradox for me. On the one hand, I've come to consider it the "polyester" of scents: warm with spices and flowers when you're already hot and sweaty, and cool with lavender, sharp herbs and moss when you're already chilly. On top of that, when I wear it I sometimes catch a weird, cheap/synthetic hairspray note in the drydown.

On the other hand, if you can get it to behave, it's a complex and well-balanced (and good!) scent that's undeniably masculine. And yes, in low-to-normal concentrations it's acceptably polite. It got its bad rep largely because people bathed in it in the 80s, and because it was common enough to invoke snobbery.

If someone made a richer, more natural-smelling version that held its balance better, I would be all over that. As it is, I do still wear DN when I'm in the mood for it.

Is it an old man scent?

Be honest.

Is it something for 20 year olds, typically?

Is it worn everywhere, like Cool Water and Acqua Di Gio?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joellark
    Is it an old man scent?
    Joellark, didn't you answer yourself earlier when you wrote:

Man... I'm 20. Wore it all through high school. I love the stuff. I heard it was for 40 year olds. Too bad.
    Do you see how ridiculous that reads? You're 20, you wore it all through high school, yet you think (twice now) that it's "old man?" I don't get it. What could we ever say that would make sense to you about this?

Be honest.
    ?

Is it something for 20 year olds, typically?
    Wouldn't we be absurd if we said, no, sir, it truly isn't anything a 20 year old should dabble in. Wait until you get peach fuzz on your face at least, young lad.

Is it worn everywhere, like Cool Water and Acqua Di Gio?
    I don't smell it around anymore, myself, but DN sure is known for its extreme popularity. I sure smell lots of AdG, CW, LeMale, Issey, and Gucci PH, and a few others, but I don't smell DN around much anymore. Further, have a look at the posts on this thread--it reads to me that most everyone else here is thinking that the scent is so enjoyable that pop considerations aren't very important.

Something to think about.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: I'm falling in love with Drakkar Noir!

Well, I can only think of one objection to DK, but it's a strong one: Francesco Smalto.

Similar idea. Far beter execution. Give it a whiff.

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Several months ago, while out shopping for a suit, I suddenly smelled it and was immediately reminded of its captivating, sexy allure. I haven't worn in it years, but it is definitely something special.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Joellark, didn't you answer yourself earlier when you wrote:

Do you see how ridiculous that reads? You're 20, you wore it all through high school, yet you think (twice now) that it's "old man?" I don't get it. What could we ever say that would make sense to you about this?

?

Wouldn't we be absurd if we said, no, sir, it truly isn't anything a 20 year old should dabble in. Wait until you get peach fuzz on your face at least, young lad.

I don't smell it around anymore, myself, but DN sure is known for its extreme popularity. I sure smell lots of AdG, CW, LeMale, Issey, and Gucci PH, and a few others, but I don't smell DN around much anymore. Further, have a look at the posts on this thread--it reads to me that most everyone else here is thinking that the scent is so enjoyable that pop considerations aren't very important.

Something to think about.
    --Chris
    I wore it all through high school because I liked it. As I transitioned from high school to college, I heard that it was an "old man's" cologne, so without further investigation, I stopped wearing it. Now, clearly this is the perfect time to ask if it is worn primarily by older guys 30+, or if it is something fitting for someone my age.

I also have Habit Rouge, which now seems to need investigation.

Even though a cologne smells nice, I'm in no rush to be associated with the 40+. I'm human, and I don't lie to myself. Yo.

Drakkar was one of the first colognes I ever wore, along with Kouros (yes, I am from 'that' era lol) I still think it smells great. It has also recieved numerous compliments from women young and older.

About the only detractor to the scent would be the infamous reputaton that it (and Kouros) attained from the gold chain wearing silk shirted love chuck types who used to swim in it at the clubs in the hopes of getting some. An unfortunate sidenote to an otherwise nice scent.

When I was in my 20s (during the 80s) my friends and I didnt worry too much about what age group did what, it was a time of freedom, as is best for that time in a persons life. There would be plenty of time for endless conjecture of 'what is appropriate to wear' as we got older, I wouldnt waste too much of my youth being concerned with it.

I just love this stuff, and it is not popular or even sold in any store in London so which is great.

It is also my compliment KING, I get more compliments when I wear Drakkar then when I wear Rive Gauche.

I think when people sample Drakkar for the first time they have to judge it from its sillage, when you smell it from your hand it does not smell like what does.

I wore it all through high school because I liked it. As I transitioned from high school to college, I heard that it was an "old man's" cologne, so without further investigation, I stopped wearing it. Now, clearly this is the perfect time to ask if it is worn primarily by older guys 30+, or if it is something fitting for someone my age.

I also have Habit Rouge, which now seems to need investigation.

Even though a cologne smells nice, I'm in no rush to be associated with the 40+. I'm human, and I don't lie to myself. Yo.
    I don't think it is a old mans cologne not in the way say Aramis or Azzaro PH are but Drakkar is I think for all ages, because I have had all age groups asking me what I am wearing and buying some for them. I am my self 23 and love it.

Drakkar was my latest purchase, it's very distinctive and lasts beautifully. I was introduced to it 7 years ago, and here in the UK it's quite unknown. Good juice!

Post Thanks / Like

This is my brother's signature scent and he has used it since highschool. I never gave it a chance until recently. I always loved the way it smells from the bottle and it has a certain tartness that makes it so distinctive.The drydown is very warm, musky and "furry". I always ascociate it with fall and winter.

S

Post Thanks / Like

A great scent. A classic. I have used many bottles in my time. Splash it on!!
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

A tip for anyone who has a bottle but hates the fact that they can't tell how much juice is in the bottle. Get a knife and just scartch of the coated painted and you will be able to see into the bottle.

I have 100ml bottle and assumed it was about 10% full, after giving it a scartch I saw it has at least 45% remaining.

When I'm working at the mall many guys speak of this as "Old School." And good Old School at that. This is a very well balanced fragrance....A Classic for sure....I'm glad that you have discovered this classic and are making this a part of your fragrance enjoyment....
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

This was my favourite cologne throughout the 1980s -- Old school indeed!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'HermŤs | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

This was the first fragrance I wore as a teen-ager.This gets lots of compliments.Sure, some fanatics may consider this dated, but I believe fragrances are timeless.Consider how many people havent smelled of even heard of this.Im on my second bottle, but rarely wear it.I left it in my car and the bottle was very warm to touch.I srayed it and could hear "shhhhhh" escaping from the bottle.It doesnt smell bad at all, but I knew its integrity had been compromised.