Code of Conduct

Smile 20 Scents in 20 Days

Hi there - here's another newbie thread. And man, am I a newbie. On the up side: I learn pretty quickly My apologies for this very long intro post.

Until just a few months ago, I was a one-frag-at-a-time man. I'd buy a new bottle only after the previous one had run out. I'd maybe try a different one some times, but mostly I stuck to the tried and tested.

My tried and tested for the last, oh, six or seven years maybe? Well, here's adding insult to injury: Aqua di Giò. Always thought it was perfectly OK (I still do, in some ways, but read on), and perfectly me. Oh dear. [Before that, I wore Hugo, before that Boss Sport]

Anyway, even I got bored with using the same old thing for years on end, so I went shopping for a new fragrance a couple of months ago, concentrating my search on other 'aquatics' - mostly because I didn't know about anything else (although I also own Le Mâle, a gift, which I find 'too much of a good thing'). Tried the Herrera, the Bvlgari Aqua, and some slightly different summery frags - Higher Energy, Jill Sander Sun, Happy - but I found them all very unexciting.

So I started surfing the internet, as you do these days, to see if help was to be found there. Needless to say, I ended up here and MAN what an eye-opener. I've had *loads* of fun the past weeks, reading descriptions, reviews, and discussions on Basenotes about aspects of fragrances I had no idea of existed. I also dilligently made notes. Learnt about 'niche' houses, what the main classifications of scents are, and what 'sillage' and longevity meant [Never even realised AdG has such limited longevity, and that it's probably gone by lunchtime. I always thought that even if I didn't smell it, it would still be there for others. Hm]

And so, armed with my new knowledge, I hit the perfume shops again. What had always iriitated me about aquatics was that they never really smelled 'aquatic' - watery, more specifically: sea-like - enough for me. They smell fresh, yeah, and of oranges. But what does that have to do with the freshness of the ocean? - which is what most of the ad campaigns for these fragrances allude to, and what I always really wanted from them. Now, I had read reviews and msgboard threads that spoke of 'salty', 'sea-breeze' type scents as opposed to aquatic scents. Excellent!
    The very first of these I tried - Kenzo PH - *immediately* blew me away. This wasn't some wishy-washy friendly bloke in the background scent, this was full-on. And fresh. And dirty at the same time! Like the ocean! [the drydown is more 'green', I quickly understood, which is why this isn't generally considered aquatic, but it smells marine dirty-fresh to me much more than any watery smell ever could. Result. Thank you Basenotes.

Next step: try all other supposedly sea-salty scents - Aqua Motu, Erolfa, Laguna, Mare. On the wish list.
    Step Three: Try everything else! Woody, smoky, sweet, oriental, tea, urine, dust on light bulb - I couldn't stop reading about them, I wanted to try them on, I wanted to know everything about them.

And so I joined Basenotes. I luckily stumbled upon the good Dr Creed's samples sale, promptly ordered 18 of them [best deal ever], got a few more from shops, and made August 2006 my big Test A Scent-a-Day Month. And that's what I've been doing, and will continue to do. I'll post day-to-day results here. Maybe you'll get a kick out of what a total newbie thinks of these scents - the things I get wrong, the things I accidentally get right. Maybe you'd like to offer your opinions & further recommendations too - that'd be great.

Default Re: 20 Scents in 20 Days

Day 0: sniffing vials

Dr Creed's package arriving was a fantastic moment. I'd been reading about many of these fragrances for a while, hadn't been able to try many in the shops, so most of them were new experiences. I just *had* to open each and every of the 18 vials and catch a first whiff.

The supposedly sea-salty ones first. Laguna PH: well...no sea associations there. Nice, though. Erolfa: Hmmm, very nice. Briny indeed. Aqua Motu: w-o-w! It's the sea in a bottle! Second sniff: no wait, it's pure iodine - for disinfecting. But no it *is* the sea. Promised myself I'd wear it the next day.
    Others: coffee! wood! grass! cotton candy! My nose ran over. I put on at least 4 different ones at once, walking around like a big kaleidoscope of smells. Never had such a pleasant headache as that night.

Welcome aboard! I can't wait for you to try my favourite Laguna! Vanilla+tobacco goodness! Be gentle!

Welcome and the best of luck!
    I will be waiting for your thought on the scents!
    i like your lil'orange, is that the official mascot for the 82's soccer world cup in Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    i like your lil'orange, is that the official mascot for the 82's soccer world cup in Spain?
    Thanks for the welcoming words! And yes, that's the '82 mascot (which was called naranjito).

Day 1: Aqua Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I'd been pissing myself over MarkInLondon's countless references to the penguin aquarium smell at London Zoo. But I was also very keen on finding out how 'oceanic' this would smell on me. One of the final days of the heatwave over here in the NL (1st of August), so this frag would fit like a glove.

And it did. Ideal for a hot day, this. I smelled the salt only initially, it was hard to get rid of the disinfectant assications, unfortunately, but it quickly wore off. And then it got sweeter by the minute. I got seaweed, yes, and could even make out the 'warm sand' that's supposed to be in there. This will be fantastic when I go on holiday in afew weeks time.

I kept on loving the smell as time went on - it seemed to last forever - but it did keep changing. I *really* got the penguin pond thing for a good while there (there's this dolphin zoo in the NL where you can find this smell too). And in the very end - and I don't think i've read this anywhere - I smelled sweet licorice mixed in there somehow!

All in all a very nice experience with this one, will definitely try some more, and as its not too pricey, I'll probably get a bottle.

Hi, welcome. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Not that I'm not already pretty enthusiastic . I'm relatively new to the world of fragrances as well and can only echo your praise of basenotes. Since your in the Netherlands, maybe we'll be swapping frags some time in the future. btw: there's a good Dutch guy on ebay Germany (dolce) who sells interesting frags at decent prices and you should get low shipping cost being in the same county. I've bought most of my perfumes off the net since it saves you hundreds of Euros (of course, it also costs hundreds of Euros )

I love Aqua Motu as well. And I'll be interested to hear what you think about Erolfa, and perhaps Millesime Impériale ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Welcome to Basenotes!! Looks like you're already having a great time!

I as well am new and share the same enthusiasm that comes with discovering the wonderful world of fragrances. I hope you run into some really good scents that you will enjoy, and others will enjoy on you! Welcome to Basenotes!

Thank you all for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Since your in the Netherlands, maybe we'll be swapping frags some time in the future.
    Sounds good! I also wonder about all this stuff on Ebay that seems to be going for *very* low prices indeed - they start at a Euro, and I don't see them going upward of €5 or 6 before they close (but maybe the seller withdraws them?) I mean stuff like this - 50 ml Brit for men for €5,-? [EDIT Monday Aug 7: OK, it's €16 now - not so wierd after all]

OK, on with the programme.
    Day 2: Vetiver by Guerlain

First, it's a very cool feeling to have a 45-year-old perfume on me. Second, after reading about vetiver-the-ingredient, I couldn't wait to finally try it, and find out what it smells like. Would this be something I'd recognise from other people? Third, the reviews going from 'classy and refined' to 'yuck - grass, dirt and chewing tobacco' tickled my curiosity.

And I wasn't disappointed. The whiff from the vial revealed little: clean and fresh, like old-fashioned shaving products. Then the first smell after putting it on: still fresh, but grassy and earthy, as I would have expected from the descriptions [but of course the actual smell is hard to imagine - it's more a case of recognition after the fact: ah yes, it *is* like dirt! But in a good way!].
    The middle bit: less good. Despite this being described as a very masculine scent, I thought I smelled my girlfriend's grandmother. Well, maybe not. Maybe it's her father's uncle. But it's "old people", definitely. While I'm no longer very young myself (at 34), I don't want to smell like a 70-year old.
    Luckily the drydown saved the day. What remained was this classy, fresh scent. I don't know if it's an everyday scent - probably I'll reserve this for formal occasions on warmer days, but who knows: it's got sort of an addictive quality to it, and since it lasts very long (there was still a hint of it left the next morning) it may become a favourite.

The girlfriend's verdict: fresh. grass. wood. [She's as little "into" fragrances as I was 2 months ago, so this is quite a result.]
    Last edited by naranjito; 7th August 2006 at 02:35 PM.

Welcome to Basenotes Naranjito!

It's good to see another "newbie" jumping right in there!

I agree with you about Guerlain's Vetiver in that it does last a fair while on me, and it smells like "clean dirt". However, the first time I ever tried it, the mental image I got was of bubblegum. Go figure. Now, it is one of my favourites.

Keep those reviews comin!

QE

(PS: I also like your description of "the middle bit"! Excellent work!)

Cheers. OK, I'm still a few days behind (actually on Day 7 now), so let's continue.

Day 3: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 New York

Since summer has taken a few steps back, not so hot now, I decide I can try on some of the more colder-day-scents today and tomorrow.

First whiff from the vial: easy! AltheaSoaps' review is spot on: "Smells like a person wearing something Green Irish Tweed-like - citrus, grassy - has just wafted by while carrying a fresh cappucino in one hand. Not bad, but...hm. It feels like two separate, unrelated things going on simultaneously"
    That's almost exactly what I smelled before I put the stuff on: someone spilled some coffee into Cool Water.

Once the stuff's on my skin, though, I don't think this holds: the citrus and herbs give way to the coffee and vanilla rather quickly, and so the scent becomes more of a blend. I can't say it's an unmitigated success: yes, the smell of a latte or cappuccino is nice, but do I want to carry that around with me all the time? It's bad enough my breath smells of coffee all morning, I'd say. I guess if I knew for certain that no one else around me could smell this, and it was purely for my own enjoyment, I'd like this better.

The drydown unfortunately is the worst part: stale coffee in a rubber mug, anyone? I don't know which of the basenotes (amber or tonka bean - i'm not experienced enough to pick them out yet) gets the upper hand here, but it somehow doesn't work at all (for me, anyway). It lasted pretty long, but by 'it' I mean the coffee-scented rubber smell, alas.

I guess I'll try this one again in December sometime, but I'm not too keen.

Thank you for your great reviews, I look forward to tommorow.

I have been lurking on BN for years and finally ponied up or some new scents myself.

I will pipe in when you hit them

Thanks

Going to do two today, or I'll never ketchup.

Day 4, another cooler day (with quite a bit of rain in fact), so I was able to try out another cool-weather-scent. I'd been very much looking forward to this one after reading about it: Pencil Shavings by Gucci, otherwise known as Gucci pour Homme
    Much anticipated because of the pencil smell, but also because of the recent topic about Bill Murray in the Japanese whisky advert. [I might go and chime in on that thread but I'll do it here now: Bill Murray is my hero. Well, a hero. He's *not* "a clown", he's one of the greatest comedic actors of our time. And Lost in Translation is my favourite film. So there.]

Sniffing the vial: sweetness, of all things! I can sense that this is going to be woody, but I mostly get a sweet smell (not bubble gum or anything, but sweet nonetheless).

Ok, on my skin with this. OK, spicy at first...and yeees there's the wood. But it isn't pencil shavings to me - maybe I have different pencil sharpeners to the ones all you Americans refer to from school. It's mostly *bigger* than pencil. It's logs. Freshly cut for putting on the fire. In fact, some of the fire itself is coming through now, along with the smoke. Incense!
    Yeeah, incense. I'm walking about the house with a broad smile on my face, in this cloud of incense. I enjoy the smell of incense very much, and for me it's the one smell that's diametrically opposed to body odour. More than any 'fresh' fragrance, incense makes me feel clean and, indeed, fresh.

But still. Apart from special occasions, I'm not going to go around smelling all incensey. It's something I'd like to smell every day, for ten minutes. But never longer, and I wouldn't want to 'project' the smell of incense around me.

Anyway, the incense settles down [it isn't listed in the notes, by the way - am I way off, or do other notes create the same smell?] and it's back to dry firewood. Which is nice. Stays on pretty long too - it's still there at night, but gone the next morning.
    I do feel that I should give this one a proper outing on a stylish night out or something. Today I was just dossing around the house all day in jeans and t-shirt. Only went out to shop for groceries. It was a "Tommy T" day, not a Gucci pH day. Which means that I know what I'll wear tomorrow - it's going to be warmer then, too.

Day 5: T for him by Tommy Hilfiger

So yes, it's Saturday, and I'm all casual in my t-shirt, jeans and trainers again. Ready, in other words, for Tommy's T. Sniffing the vial: fresh and very synthetic. Obviously the least natural smelling one yet. And the smell of fresh laundry (specifically t-shirts) is already readily apparent. Put it on, and nothing much happens: well, yes, a bit of citrus at the very beginning, but then it's just a fresh clothes smell all the way through. It's supposed to smell green and woody too, according to the pyramid, but that must be those plastic plants and trees, then.

Despite all that, I really enjoy this one! Lasting power is OK, it just about makes it till the end of the day. And it's just such a bright and clean and fun smell. Something I wouldn't get tired of easily, either. And it's great that there's this fragrance that has absolutely nothing to do with 'aquatic' and is still all about freshness.
    I don't think it's a *sexy* smell, though. Or funky. Or powerful. Or businesslike. Correct me if I'm wrong. It may also be for a younger man than myself [but people tell me I don't look or act my age anyway, so sod it.]

This one goes on the shopping list - even if it doesn't seem intent on impressing anyone, it makes *me* feel good when I'm wearing it.

I'm getting a bit worried with how this is going, actually. So far I've tried 5 of the 20 fragrances, and *really* liked 4 of them. At this rate, I'll be a scentaholic like the rest of you in no time, not to mention a very poor man. :-)

Day 6: Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali.
    Summer's back! For a day, at least - i.e. it stays clear of rain for a whole day. Time to get out one of the salty sea-breeze colognes. Sniffing the vial: this one didn't strike me as a 'sea breeze' scent at all the first time 'round. Not like Erolfa or Aqua Motu, at least.
    OK, on my arms and neck with the stuff. And what the heck, on the chest as well. No, not salty-aquatic at all. Faintly *tropical* though... ah, yes, I remember the review in which someone said this was a *beach* scent not an ocean scent. There are hints of coconut and tropical fruit - that'll be the suntan lotions and the palm trees - but it isn't windy on this beach, that's for sure.

Hold up, what's that, overpowering everything all of a sudden? Vanilla! [I like vanilla] Of course, Milamber said in this very thread that it was his favourite because of the vanilla... *Any* notion of sea and sand is gone now, mind you, but a wonderful vanilla scent remains. And remains. And remains.
    I guess I put my shirt on too quickly after applying it to my chest, 'cos it's clinging very much to my clothes [was still there the next morning when I threw it in the wash]. Since many fragrances seem to disappear fairly quickly on me, that's a good one to keep in mind.

So, the verdict on Laguna? Another hit, I'm afraid. 5 out of 6 now that I like, it's going on the wish list.
    And I don't see it conflicting with owning AdG, Kenzo PH, and Aqua Motu *at all* - it's totally different from those. Sure it has a summery feel - tropical even - but it's not watery-fresh. It's... sweet. Not too sweet, just a nice pick-me-up sweet. Good stuff.
    Question to experienced Basenoters: what other fragrances *are* more like Laguna PH? And I mean the long, long vanilla drydown of it.

Quote Originally Posted by naranjito
    Day 6: Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali.
    Summer's back! For a day, at least - i.e. it stays clear of rain for a whole day. Time to get out one of the salty sea-breeze colognes. Sniffing the vial: this one didn't strike me as a 'sea breeze' scent at all the first time 'round. Not like Erolfa or Aqua Motu, at least.
    OK, on my arms and neck with the stuff. And what the heck, on the chest as well. No, not salty-aquatic at all. Faintly *tropical* though... ah, yes, I remember the review in which someone said this was a *beach* scent not an ocean scent. There are hints of coconut and tropical fruit - that'll be the suntan lotions and the palm trees - but it isn't windy on this beach, that's for sure.

Hold up, what's that, overpowering everything all of a sudden? Vanilla! [I like vanilla] Of course, Milamber said in this very thread that it was his favourite because of the vanilla... *Any* notion of sea and sand is gone now, mind you, but a wonderful vanilla scent remains. And remains. And remains.
    I guess I put my shirt on too quickly after applying it to my chest, 'cos it's clinging very much to my clothes [was still there the next morning when I threw it in the wash]. Since many fragrances seem to disappear fairly quickly on me, that's a good one to keep in mind.

So, the verdict on Laguna? Another hit, I'm afraid. 5 out of 6 now that I like, it's going on the wish list.
    And I don't see it conflicting with owning AdG, Kenzo PH, and Aqua Motu *at all* - it's totally different from those. Sure it has a summery feel - tropical even - but it's not watery-fresh. It's... sweet. Not too sweet, just a nice pick-me-up sweet. Good stuff.
    Question to experienced Basenoters: what other fragrances *are* more like Laguna PH? And I mean the long, long vanilla drydown of it.
    Ah... you have a good nose! Certainly, Laguna is not in the vein of the AdG, Polo Blue and other aquatic scents of this world. That's why it's my favourite one. Excellent sillage and excellent longevity as you've noticed too. One of my most complimented scent. Use with discretion.

Day 7: B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Another cool day, I thought, looking at the overcast sky. Time to bring out another one of the cold weather / evening scents then, for today. Will it be A*Men or B*Men? Well, my girlfriend owns Angel (though doesn't wear it as often as I'd like), and A*Men is supposed to be very much in the same vein, with B*Men ... what? Darker? Richer? Not sure. Unknown territory anyway, so I'm going with B*Men.

Big mistake. Now, either it was the fact that it actually got to be fairly warm last Monday - it *is* still summer of course, though the July heatwave is clearly over - or I seriously over-applied. But either way, my first encounter with B*Men was not a pleasant one. For about an hour, I liked the heavy sweetness of it all - that candy shop goodness that makes Angel for women - well, girls - so yummy. But then it got a bit much. Heavy. Overpowering. Cloying.

And yes, it did dry down to something less sweet, and more woodsy, like the reviews said. But that didn't mean it got any lighter. I just about stayed on the right side of nausea for the day, but I was glad to get rid of the smell (which, again, my clothes had absorbed with great abandon after I applied some on the chest) come night time.

Of course I'll try it again - on an actually cool day, and in lesser quantities - but I wouldn't be surprised if this first encounter ruined things between me and B*Men for good. And A*Men is supposed to be even heavier (and sweeter)? OK, that's off the list for the 20 Scents in 20 Days Project. I'll get that one out sometime around November...

...And so, not wanting to repeat that experience, on Tuesday,
    Day 8,
    I reached for what I had reckoned to be a less full-on scent: Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme.
    Fruity-sweet, not candy-sweet, so the reviews told me, and with a light tobacco drydown? Sounded OK to me.
    And again, what a strange day I had with this stuff.

I really liked the subtle freshness that you get straight out of the vial - but I was a little distressed about what it turned into: two little girls fighting. How else can I describe the tug-of-war that seemed to be going on between fruit and flowers? The fragrance's pyramid make it clear that the top notes are all citrus fruit, and the middle is herbs and spices - but I got a clear floral note trying to worm its way into the fruity ones. The whole thing made a very unisex - if not feminine - impression on me, which is not something I have a problem with per se, but I didn't take to this particular version of gender-non-specificity.

And then ... the drydown. With all these interesting basenotes mentioned, it was puzzling to find that the scent didn't really settle down into something different, as much as it gradually faded into nothingness. I *think* I smelled the tobacco there, though, well at the end of the day, when I had to press my nose *into* my wrist to smell anything at all.

Strangest thing: even though my experience with B*Men the day before was much more unpleasant - I really started to dislike the smell of that after a while - I'm actually more sure about D&G pH *not* working out for me than B*Men. It's just not 'me'. Oh well.
    Last edited by naranjito; 10th August 2006 at 10:22 PM.

Day 9: Allure Homme Sport by Chanel.

I must've disappointed at least some people yesterday, with my not-so-positive thoughts on B*Men and D&G pH. I realise both fragrances are loved by many, and if anyone thinks I'm getting it all wrong with these, don't hesitate to tell me! [Especially if you have hints or tips about how to enjoy them properly.]
    Today, though, I'm *really* going to surprise a few people. Seems like Allure Homme Sport is either loved or liked OK. Nobody seems to actively dislike it. Well, nobody until yesterday, Day 9 of my project.

Now this one is one of these atomizer samplers, so no twisting off the cap and sniffing the vial here. Spray it on, then, wrists and neck.

Oh oh. Oh no.

Very first thing it reminds me of: Cool Water. I never liked Cool Water, and I actually used to own a bottle - somewhere around 1990, I think. A decade and a half later, you still smell it a lot around here, and it is still the epitome of everything I want to *avoid* in a frag. A really sharp and synthetic take on flowers. Awful. And there's this one overwhelming note in CW that I really detest. [Anyone know what it might be?]

Now, I'm not sure AHS actually smells *like* Cool Water - they seem to only overlap in one or two top and middle notes - neroli/orange blossom (that's the same thing, right?), and I doubt if that is my main put-off. But they do share, to my mind/nose, that sharp syntheticness. It's a 'fresh' smell, but without a clear reference to something fresh in the outside world. It's not fresh like fresh water, it's not fresh like fresh air, it's not fresh like clean clothes (like T superbly is), nor is it pepperminty fresh.
    It's just synthetic fresh; maybe it mostly alludes to soap, but to be honest, I found it closest to toilet fresheners (not the stuff you put in the bowl, but toilet air fresheners - the ones that have flowers or pine trees on the front, but smell nothing like either of those. The painful truth is that I don't think AHS is good for any other purpose, either. My apologies to its fans.

The good thing was (well, in this case, anyway) that it was gone around noon Once, but never again. [This was my replacement frag by the way: the one that got added to the list because A*Men won't be taking part in the project. It was a sample I had lying around anyway.]

***Interlude***
    In the afternoon I had to run an errand, and thought I'd stop by a perfume shop to see if they had any samples that would interest me. Came away with Burberry Brit for Men, which I only knew from a test card. Since the Allure Homme Sport had kindly evaporated, I sprayed some on.
    Wow.
    Now this was something else, in many ways. Big blast of citrus that transformed into something... I don't know. Sweet, but not *at all* sickly. Spicy but not sharp. Caramel/vanilla, but not actually like the food. Wonderful. Also: slightly feminine, but in a GOOD way (are you listening, Dolce & Gabbana?).
    [I guess this little bonus runs us up to 21 scents in 20 days, but who cares. This one goes straight to the top of the list, and will very likely be my main choice for autumn.]

Welcome to Basenotes. Good idea to keep up that diary, it'll most definitely help you recognize and analyze fragrances better since you sort of force yourself to do so.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    Welcome to Basenotes. Good idea to keep up that diary, it'll most definitely help you recognize and analyze fragrances better since you sort of force yourself to do so.
    Thanks! Yes, I see it as both a notebook/diary *and* a crash course.
    And as a way of introducing myself, I guess.

Whereabouts are you, in the NL? Any shopping tips, south of Utrecht?

Quote Originally Posted by naranjito
    Thanks! Yes, I see it as both a notebook/diary *and* a crash course.
    And as a way of introducing myself, I guess.

Whereabouts are you, in the NL? Any shopping tips, south of Utrecht?
    I'm near The Hague, so I don't really have too much experience when it comes to the south of Utrecht... I mainly shop in Rotterdam (Annick Goutal), The Hague (Celeste) or Amsterdam (Skins). Sorry I can't help more. BTW, are you planning on creating a wardrobe here on Basenotes?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

What an exciting read this thread has been so far! I hope you feel welcome here at Basenotes and it sure sounds like you've had lots of fun so far as others has pointed out.

I think you did this the right way. You got the samples to find out what it is you like in a fragrance. I'll be sure to check back here each day until you have tried all your sampled fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    I'm near The Hague, so I don't really have too much experience when it comes to the south of Utrecht... I mainly shop in Rotterdam (Annick Goutal), The Hague (Celeste) or Amsterdam (Skins). Sorry I can't help more. BTW, are you planning on creating a wardrobe here on Basenotes?
    No problem - I've heard of Celeste, they carry Comptoir Sud Pacifique, right? I also know there's a store in Den Bosch that has Creed. I just wondered, because I don't like going up to Amsterdam to shop (or indeed, going there at all :-) )

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    What an exciting read this thread has been so far! I hope you feel welcome here at Basenotes and it sure sounds like you've had lots of fun so far as others has pointed out.
    I'm having loads of fun! It's so cool. I'm really into music, and I liken it to a situation where a person who's never heard any pop music in his life is suddenly given a new CD to play each day. Some are genre classics and highlights, others are recent hits, and yet others are a-typical weird alternative records.

Just read this thread ( all the posts) .

Welcome to Basenotes, and I must say enjoyed reading your reviews, keep it up you are doing great .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Day 10: Millésime Imperial by Creed.

I'd steered clear of the Creeds for the first week and a half, although I continually found myself sniffing the vials and taking just the tiniest bit of juice on a fingertip to find out what it was like. Time for Creed Week.

And what better way to start than with the famous MI? Interestingly, from my sniffing-and-fingertip trials, I'd got the impression that the 4 Creeds in my sample collection - Erolfa, MI, Silver Mountain Water and Bois du Portugal - were all very, very much alike. Would that be the 'Creed House note', talked about so often on the board? Surely, I'm not supposed to smell that until I wear it properly, and even then only into the drydown? Especially MI and SMW seemed very, very close.

Anyway. I don't know what to tell you about the day I wore MI. It was a thoroughly pleasant and satisfying experience. There's (again!) this Cool Wateresque quality to it - this "well, it's fruit but not as we know it" zesty freshness. Except of course, that I can't stand CW and I loved every minute of MI. (Which makes me curious about Green Irish Tweed - I didn't order it because of its alleged similarity to Cool Water - but what if it is 'Cool Water done right'?) The smell of MI simply lifted my spirits for the whole day.

Something that occurred to me which I haven't read from anyone else - I think - regarding MI: there's not a lot going on, is there? It's very, erm, stable - stays the same throughout the day. [Quite unlike Bois du Portugal, which I'm wearing today, and which has turned out to be The Transformer. More about this later!]
    Around 8 PM, I didn't think there was much left of it. I had my girlfriend smell my neck, and although she had to get pretty close to smell anything, what she *did* pick up was a "powerful" scent, as she described it. Don't know what to make of that.

I'm looking forward to the other Creeds - I'll alternate them with the other remaining ones over the next week. I doubt I'll be buying anything other than decants, though, for the time being. So many other things to discover!

Oh dear. Have let myself get far, far behind again. Big roundup post, then.

Day 11 M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent.
    I love you, Basenoters. On the day I posted my love-at-first-sight experience with Burberry Brit for Men (see Day 9), I was actually on Day 11 of my project, and therefore wearing M7 Fresh. Coincidentally, GenuineImitationLife started a thread about Brit vs. M7 Fresh on the same night. One of the answers came from Daddy_Thrax, stating that Brit was just too "normal".

Too normal. Again, I love you people. A fragrance that starts with a blast of citrus fruits, and then settles down into an ever-so-slightly sweet, ever-so-slightly spicy, ever-so-slightly floral oriental. Too normal. You lot must really have smelt some weird things in your scentaholic lives. For someone who's worn nothing but AdG for years until a month or so ago, i'll tell you that Brit is quite miraculous, and spectacular.

Anyhoo, the strangest thing about it was that these things were said about Brit in comparison to M7 Fresh, which was considered much more interesting by the majority of people responding. Now, while I was wearing it at the time, I couldn't detect much more than a biig load of minty freshness plus an even bigger load of lemon [or grapefruit, as it turns out] completely overwhelming whatever interesting stuff may be going on underneath.
    But hey, I'm new at this.

Day 12 Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Got the girlfriend to wear this ith me, so we were properly unisexed-up on Saturday. It's strange stuff, this. I think I like the opening best: you really get the blackcurrant, and it's very nice. Apart from that, it seemed strangely...bitter. Are tea notes supposed to smell bitter? I wouldn't think so if you asked me. Not sure. The drydown is very similar to that of M.I., though I think I prefer that on the whole. Also, SMW was gone by about 5 PM.

Day 13 Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Clearly my favourite among the three Creeds I've tried so far. The Transformer, this one. Seems to release *all* of its notes one-by-one. Fruity and herbal at the opening, becomes this nice sandalwoody scent [though still very Creed - that is, the relationship between this and the two lighter fresher ones I've tried is always clear]. And at around 5 PM I suddenly got this *rush* of vetiver! (I'd put it on at about 11 AM).
    [Note: I'm fairly confident saying that what I smelled there was vetiver, as it reminded me very much of Guerlain's Vetiver, which I had of course tried 10 days ago. I think I'm right in assuming - and this is a Question for you ppl - that the smell of Guerlain Vetiver is a pretty 'pure' vetiver smell? I ask so I can pick it out in other perfumes in future, see.]
    And only after the vetiver rush does it *really* quieten down into a pure wood base (cedar, probably). Great, great stuff.

Day 14 Envy for Men by Gucci
    Rainy Monday, very 'autumn'. I go with Envy. Sniffing the vial: very, very sweet in a very, very good way. You know, I'm not so sure heavy orientals are my thing. I like the smell of Le Mâle, but after a while it starts to suffocate me. I remember Joop! very well from the '80s. Lots of people - from uncles to teachers - wore it in completely inappropriate amounts at completely inappropriate times and places. A*Men - well, I haven't tried it yet, but although I love the smell from the bottle [and love Angel for women] I'm just not sure I'd be happy wearing it.
    Which is why Envy is so good for me. Sweet oriental, yes, but not exactly overpowering, and never sickly sweet. Nicely balances the sweet with the woods, and never gives you the idea you've pigged out on some big bag of candy.
    If Brit is going to be my main scent for autumn, Envy might carry me through the winter. Although I'll be sure to post a query in the main forum to ask for recommendations for other Envy-like fragrances [not too sweet, not too powerful orientals]

Day 15 Old Spice by Procter & Gamble
    I'm running out of steam, sorry. Have to be short with this one. "Old Spice", the name alone, conjured up the image of outdated men who don't really want to be wearing any fragrance. This is largely due to my mother, who actually hammered this link Old SPice - old-fashioned into me when I was young. Naturally, my father was never allowed to wear it, although he was (and is) very much one of these men described above [he wore only Agua Brava aftershave for most of his life; probably still does, actually]
    Anyway, so I finally got to smell it. I thought it might be something I'd recognise - after all, I must have come into contact with many old-fashioned stuffy people in my life up to now. But no, I didn't recognise it. It also didn't come off as particularly old-fashioned, or even boring: it was really quite spicy, and much more of a 'real' fragance than the shaving creme smell I had anticipated.
    Can't say I liked it much, though. Yes, a fine blend of spices. But not me.

Tomorrow: Chergui.

Welcome aboard Naranjito!!!
    How could not I like your thread: first of all there are nice and funny impressions about juices, second you have a nice avatar! (reminding me of Italian victory in '82 )
    It really seems you promise to be a good fellow here!

Thanks, Maginfiscent!

I'm away on holiday until Sept 1st, so I'll resume this little review project right after I get back. Thanks for reading so far!