Code of Conduct

Default Cant find the right frag...need help ASAP

Hi
    Im new to the frag scence so bare with me.I have tried many many colognes on,but i find that they generally leave a metallic taste in my mouth.The other thing which bothers me is the fact that everything ive tried,i seem to be aware of it all day,not in a good way.ie overpowering.I DONT apply much.Just a small spray to either side of the neck.
    I did like JPG's Le Male,got a few compliments on it from the ladies,however after 3 hrs it was so sickeningly sweet and nauseating i had to shower it off-twice.Remember i only applied a small amount.
    I guess what im looking for is a sweet(not JPG sweet),Vanilla(not Pi strength),non overbearing frag.I also love the smell of baby powder,and hey im not gay.
    Any suggestions most welcome!

Default Re: Cant find the right frag...need help ASAP

Boucheron Jaipur Homme EdP or EdT, most definitely.

Try John Varvatos...sweet but not too sweet with a touch of leather..www.scentedmonkey.com have a 5 ml mini for a few bucks...but put it in a spray vial...dabbing wont do it justice...

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish
    Hi
    Im new to the frag scence so bare with me.I have tried many many colognes on,but i find that they generally leave a metallic taste in my mouth.The other thing which bothers me is the fact that everything ive tried,i seem to be aware of it all day,not in a good way.ie overpowering.I DONT apply much.Just a small spray to either side of the neck.
    I did like JPG's Le Male,got a few compliments on it from the ladies,however after 3 hrs it was so sickeningly sweet and nauseating i had to shower it off-twice.Remember i only applied a small amount.
    I guess what im looking for is a sweet(not JPG sweet),Vanilla(not Pi strength),non overbearing frag.I also love the smell of baby powder,and hey im not gay.
    gucci's envy could perhaps be the perfect match for you
    si doux, tout musc...

A case for dior homme perhaps. Sweet but suave. Very powdery, vanilly, but much more subtle than JPG.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Rochas Man --------------------------> Hands down
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I agree with PM, Jaipur is EXACTLY what you're looking for. I don't care much for the scent myself, but it has a huge following here. It is an oriental that has loads of vanilla and well, the smell of baby powder. The jury is still out about which is better, the edt or the edp, so you should test both.

Hi
    Not overpowering, sweet, non-disturbing, close to the skin: Lanvin Arpege.

hey im not gay.
    ...yeah, and a suggestion: at this forum you better avoid comments like that. We don't judge each other by -true or stated- sexual preferences.

I second Dior Homme.

Maybe try not spraying your neck. I used to spray my neck but sometimes the fragrance is too much. Now I keep my sprays to my chest.

Blog Entries

Do try Burberry Brit.

And for the record...I have MANY gay male friends, and not a single one of them like baby powder, so I really don't understand your statement.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

For a softer gourmand, i second Burberry Brit and Lanvin Arpege. I also add Armani Black Code. These are all softer versions of the heavy gourmands like Rochas Man, jaipur and Pi.

Just to throw some other ideas out there...

Very Irresistible from Givenchy starts out pretty sweet, with mint and mocha, but dries down less so as the mint is replaced by hazelnut and some wood notes

The new "Selection" from Boss is a decent innofensive take on a general fresh/green fragrance that is sweeter than most frags in that area, but not overwhelmingly sweet. It doesn't really develop much, but is decent for what it is. I also suspect that it'll be showing up at the discounters soon.

Overcome By Fumes

Molinard Homme II

This second eponymous fragrance from Molinard is worthy of a try to satisfy the criteria for which you search. It has vanilla, and sweetness but plenty of wood grounding, and not even any sharpness at all--smooth as a baby's tush, although not as powdery as one.

I instantly thought of Burberry Brit too. If you don't like this one then give Dior Homme a try.

Give Chanel Egoiste a try

Serpent

You want subtly sweet vanilla, and you're enamored with the aroma of baby powder? I'm surprised it took this long for someone to recommend the excellent Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne.

Bourbon vanilla is blended with sandalwood and patchouli with light (but not overly feminine) floral notes and subtle powder. It's elegant, not too overpowering, and classic. It has a sort of old-fashioned feel. The eau de parfum was formulated with women in mind and has the florals (especially the orange blossom) ramped up; get the eau de cologne. The vanilla plays as subtle and light as amber, but it keeps the angularity, thinness, and slight bitter edge that is distinctive of vanilla (as opposed to amber's warmer, rounder quality). You'll probably have to look online as it's discontinued, but, unlike Lang's Cuiron, it's not too hard to find on the internet.

P.S.: Helmut Lang is much lighter than almost any of the scents listed here, I've found, even Dior Homme. This is a very easy, casual scent to wear.
    Last edited by Serpent; 6th August 2006 at 03:33 AM.

Habit Rouge, probably the EDT as it is more powdery IMHO than the EDC
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Habit Rouge, probably the EDT as it is more powdery IMHO than the EDC
    But definitely not the eau de parfum. Horrible stuff, that eau de parfum, the unholy love child of Habit Rouge and M7. (The original poster is from South Africa, it appears, so they may have the eau de parfum there.)

Hey, throw M7 on the list, though. It's powdery, and there's a bunch of vanilla in it. Be warned, though, that it can be potent. Test first.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.Its just the advice i needed.As for Sandy and Colognejunkie,get over the gay thing...stick to the topic...i asked for frag suggestions

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.Its just the advice i needed.As for Sandy and Colognejunkie,get over the gay thing...stick to the topic...i asked for frag suggestions
    Welcome to Basenotes--glad you got some help.

NO need to talk to Sandy and CologneJunkie that way--both are fine and upstanding members of the site and have helped dozens of newbies like you find scents they'll try and like. They're also not the ones who brought up "the gay thing," my friend, you are.

Glad you got some help here. Members are happy to help when the topic is fragrances. If that's what the topic you're interested in is, fantastic for all of us. Many of us individually have smelled thousands of scents, all of us together have smelled many more thousands. With this range behind us, as I see it and believe it, there's nothing scents have to do with sexual identity and sexual identification.

So come here and talk scents. That's cool.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Laura Biagotti Roma Uomo, Gai Mattiolo Uomo,Iceberg Twice,Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

SCENT PREFERENCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SEXUAL PREFERENCE. The tastes of gay men with fragrance are as diverse as heterosexual men. The notion that gay men in general will gravitate toward sweet, vanilla, powdery frags is OFFENSIVE.

But I just don't understand why you had to mention that you are not gay in the first place? Isn't that off topic?You said to stick to the topic?Recommending a scent and mentioning that you aren't gay,hmmm,kinda weird.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Wow,the knives are out for me hey! Lets all gang up on saflyfish because it looks like no one can stand up for themselves here.I guess the next step is to ban me from this board.Well so be it.
    I have no problem with gay men,and as a fact (clich'e) a few of my friends are gay.In my experience they have told me they like powdery,vanilla scents,hence the statement.Remember its also OFFENSIVE then to say that men prefer "masculine scents" and women "feminine scents" because thats also a generalization.
    Besides i doubt any gay person would have been offended by that statement anyway.Why dont you ask.I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    ...yeah, and a suggestion: at this forum you better avoid comments like that. We don't judge each other by -true or stated- sexual preferences.
    thank you, sandy for posting that, but when asking for frag advise, mentioning sexual preferences [I]could[I] be important depending on for what reason you want to wear perfume...
    si doux, tout musc...

Cool it Guys and Girls, I think he got the message loud and clear about the comment he made. He is a newbie, and I don't think he meant any harm .

At least that's what I think. I was not too happy about the comment also, but refrained from commenting initially, but after reading DustB's post I got pacified a little.

Welcome to Basenotes saflyfish, nobody means to gang up on you, just be cool .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Blog Entries

Besides i doubt any gay person would have been offended by that statement anyway.Why dont you ask.I will.
    Well...since you asked...not only do I have many gay friends, but I'm also a lesbian. And I did find it offensive.

If you want to be taken seriously here, don't insult members & especially moderators of a community you just joined. A proper response to our comments would've been "I'm sorry, I really didn't think what I had said was offensive. I'll use more sensitivity from now on."

Please don't let our comments deter you from posting here. We're just trying to give you some advice on posting netiquitte. From your original post it sounds like you & I share a similar taste in frags, & I look forward to your reviews on some of the frags that were recommended to you.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Point taken.