Code of Conduct

Default Scents similar to Knize Ten?

Hello all. It's been a while since I posted a new thread of my own, but I'm in need of some help here. I've recently fallen in love with Knize Ten. I bought it blind and wasn't sure how I would react to it since I've never been a big fan of leather scents in general. Cuiron was my favorite leather scent (actually it was my only leather scent) simply because it was more of a soft suede rather than raw leather. As a side note, I don't think I can handle straight up leather because I don't like the idea of smelling like furniture or boots. I've been wearing Knize Ten for the past three weeks consecutively and I can't get enough of it. I feel like the leather note in this is rather subdued and is never in the forefront. Knize Ten is very "boozey" and sophisticated, which I assume is the reason why it earned its reputation as "the gentleman's scent". It's semi sweet and there's a lingering middle note that faintly reminds me of bubblegum. If you own this scent, then you may or may not know what I'm talking about. Anyways, I've been searching the directory and reading reviews (like a born-again newbie) looking for scents that are similar to Knize Ten. From personal experience, I find Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, and Truefit & Hill Spanish Leather to be similar such that they possess the same "boozey" qualities and sophistication that I seek. I read positive reviews on Creed's Royal English Leather but I've never sampled it and I don't want to smell like straight up leather. Any recommendations on scents that I should definitely check out? Thanks in advance Basenoters.

Last edited by teflondog; 5th August 2006 at 09:16 PM.

Default Re: Scents similar to Knize Ten?

Im also a fan of Knize Ten. I bought it a little more than a month ago, and it's really a good find. Knize Ten belongs to the dry woods/chypre category and scents that would be similar are:
    Aramis
    Anvers by Ulrich Lang New York
    Baladin by Parfums de Nicolai
    Bearbier Des Isles by C S P
    Comme Des Garcons 2 Man
    Cuba by Czech and Speake
    Cuir de Russie by Creed
    Daim Blond by Serge Lutens
    Declaration Essence by Cartier
    Eucris by Geo Trumper
    Feuilles De Tabac
    Missoni Uomo
    Peau D' Espangne by Sta. Maria Novella
    Perry Ellis For Men
    Royal English Leather by Creed
    Spanish Leather by Geo F. Trumper
    Teck by Molinard
    This is not a Pipe by Demeter Fragrance
    Vetiver by Etro
    X for Men by Clive Christian
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

You should definitely sample Royal English Leather, which I think is exceptional but also sweeter than Knize Ten and also not expecially "boozy." Etro Gomma I would recommend for someone who wanted something Ten-ish but more wearable and less "autre" than Ten. You might find it either too tame or redundant.

For a "boozy" sophistication I think of D'Orsay's Le Dandy and Annick Goutal's Sables.

In addition so the great suggestion other have already suggested, I suggest you to try also some classic gentleman leather juices:
    Santa Maria Novella Colonia Russa
    Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne

Imo, Tabac Blond (parfum) is very much like a concentrated version of Knize Ten.

Overcome By Fumes

I would echo, from Aubrgene's list, Parfums de Nicolaď - Baladin. Not overly leather but unmistakeably so, with a very refined background of notes.

One time I was wearing K10 and my ex-roommate said he liked what I was wearing as it reminded him of his father's Old Spice.

I find Pierre Cardin Centaure Cuir Fougere is similar, but less spicy. More amber.
    Royal English Leather is similar as well due to the mandarin.

Personally I find K10 to be more of a tobacco frag than a leather frag, but its all in how you perceive the notes I guess.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Try "Habanera" by Hove Parfumeur from New Orleans.

http://www.hoveparfumeur.com/
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along!

Thank you for all the replies gentlemen. I never even considered Tabac Blond until now. Come to think of it, I agree that Knize Ten has some tabacco qualities. It's always a pleasure Basenoters.

the one i've found very similar to knize 10 is etro gomma definitely it worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I would react to it since I've never been a big fan of leather scents in general.
    Hi T-dog, just out of curiosity, don't you consider DK Fuel to be a leather scent?

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Derby by Guerlain
    Last edited by dr.creed; 7th August 2006 at 02:43 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Hi T-dog, just out of curiosity, don't you consider DK Fuel to be a leather scent?
    I get some leather out of it but for me it's mostly suede, pineapple, and tobacco. This is an example of the type of scents I'm looking for; hints of leather without it being too dominant or "raw".

We seem to be on the same trail, td, and I have come across some of above recommendations myself, reading the others with as much interest. Great thread! It seeems that Knize has two alternatives in-house. Hopefully, I may sample Knize Sec one day. The name hints to something, I might like. Perhaps even Knize Forest is alright too. ActiveMen (Europe) offers them surprisingly cheap.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

2nd Etro Gomma and Caron Tabac Blond. Gomma is simpler, Tabac Blond has lots of carnation. Both are heavy on the isobutylqinoline as are most of the recommendations above, but these two come closest to Knize Ten in my opinion.
    Last edited by Concord; 8th August 2006 at 09:07 AM.