Code of Conduct

Default The Samples Route

Does anyone here buy samples for regular use? I’m talking about buying several samples of one fragrance, as opposed to buying an entire bottle. I’m considering this route for some high priced niche frags. I think this might work for me because I don’t have a complex, in which I need to hold and see the bottle to fulfill some inner need. I am, however, awfully curious about how some of my Creed samples would smell coming out of a sprayer. I know people claim that there is a difference, but I think that might just be a way of validating their high priced purchase. If there is a difference, is it that significant? This makes me wish all samples came in those little mini sprayers.

I’ve only been involved with fragrances for a couple of months and I have already grown tired of some scents that I initially loved. This has me concerned that I could fall into a viscous cycle, in which I continue to buy fragrances, because I am tired of the ones I already have, which in the end leaves me with an exorbitant amount of fragrance that is not getting used. I already know I’ll have trouble motivating myself to sell my leftovers. I figure buying samples would probably cut the risk, especially if I turn into one of you freaks out there who have upwards of 50 bottles (its crazy reading comments in which people try rationalize this, unfortunately, I can kind of see where they’re coming from).

So has the samples route worked for anyone here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Samples Route

I've bought samples before from the Miller Harris sample set offer:

http://www.millerharris.com/products/sample_sets/

And also from Les Senteurs here in London:

http://www.lessenteurs.com/

Unfortunately the samples were not sprays, but the ordinary vial with a plastic dabber stick thingy. Would obviously be nicer if they made them in sprays.

Anyways, samples are certainly a good way of getting to know a number of fragrances, and to try out properly before buying a full bottle of anything.

Apart from buying samples, you can sometimes get them free just by asking in shops, and of course when purchasing you should always request them. By emailing companies you can get lots of free samples coming through the post, iincluding nice atomiser ones! (See the "getting free samples" thread -- it has lots of info).

It's also worth looking into miniature bottles. Some companies, like Parfumerie Generale for example, make available little miniature sprays (7ml) for sale on their websites:

http://www.boutique-parfumerie-gener...&path=2&id=204

That size is ideal for trying out a fragrance, and not too expensive.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I've gotten very good quality Creed samples from a seller named 786hoodas on eBay. They've always been fresh and smell just as they should, and run about $15 for a 1/4oz spray bottle.

The link to the store is http://stores.ebay.com/Perfume-Decants-and-Pheromones

I'm not necessarily talking about buying samples just to "try a fragrance out." I'm talking about it as a way of owning the fragrance, by buying several samples of the same scent.

There was a thread on here not too long ago that asked people how long it took them to go through a bottle, and it seemed like most people said they are lucky if they EVER get through a bottle, so why bother buying all these bottles? I'm just asking if anyone has decided to just stick with samples (or minis) all together and if the strategy has worked for them. Is there some kind of drawback to this plan that I might not be seeing?

Thanks for the link Stuffman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xirdneh69
    I'm not necessarily talking about buying samples just to "try a fragrance out." I'm talking about it as a way of owning the fragrance, by buying several samples of the same scent.

There was a thread on here not too long ago that asked people how long it took them to go through a bottle, and it seemed like most people said they are lucky if they EVER get through a bottle, so why bother buying all these bottles? I'm just asking if anyone has decided to just stick with samples (or minis) all together and if the strategy has worked for them. Is there some kind of drawback to this plan that I might not be seeing?

OK. I see what you mean. But then surely a decant would be better than several samples? You can get decants on eBay and also from members on here.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

you can stick the samples in a re-usable atomizer if you want to spray them
    Mason's Law: It can always get better.
    Corollary: It can always get worse.
    Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

I am considering the same. I own about 35 full bottles and I´m not willing to expand the collection anymore. So I think I will wander the "decant route". IMO samples of 2 ml or so work at most as a first introduction to a frag.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti