Code of Conduct

Default Anyone a fan of Boss frags and which ones?

Ive noticed not many people mention Boss frags here.Are they somehow inferior?

Default Re: Anyone a fan of Boss frags and which ones?

They are not inferior but I have found them to not make as good fragrances. I like Boss Bottled only. The others are not really great IMO. Soul is just ok. Hugo is not for me. The Boss in Motion smells have like 10 special editions that I have not smelled. I don't think much of them.

I also like Boss Bottled but havent owned it for a while now. I recently tried a sample of the new one, Selection and it didn't overly impress me. It seemed really generic.

I have tried several, but so many have a synthetic 'bubblegum' note I don't like.

Boss Sport used to be my signature frag in the 80s. Nothing in their line interests me now. Baldessarini is probably their best frag to date, but i've not been too impressed by it as yet.

I enjoy Boss No. 1 and Baldessarini. I'm not really familiar with the rest of their line. I think I tried the one in the bottle like a ball (Boss in Motion?) and it was just too fleeting on my skin.

Boss No. 1 is tobacco-pungeant and not for everyone. Baldessarini gets pretty good cred on the board though. It is one of those "make you feel like $1 million" frags.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I like a few of Boss scents; they are Boss Bottled, Boss Energise and No. 1. I haven't tried many others so no idea. I own Hugo Boss too, but only like its top note :-(
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Baldessarini and Boss Bottled (AKA Silver and #6). Actually, they are both very different, very versatile, and with just these 2, you cover all your needs and seasons. So for a person with a limited budget, but a yearning for class and distinction, I think they're a great wardrobe "starter kit". And chicks dig both of them!

Yeah, Baldessarini has its supporters (Griff, FroFro) and I think its pretty decent. Nothing spectacular, but it smells good. Other than that, Boss is pretty forgettable as a House. Very safe and uninteresting fragrances (some range into horrible, such as Dark Blue, but none venture into the realm of a masterpiece). Not bad, just blah.

The reason Boss isn't mentioned much around here is pretty much the same reason lots of male designer scents don't get much of a show - many people thinking that only niche or feminine scents are any good, and labelling most of the male ones as rubbish.

I, however, think Boss Elements is fabulous - my favourite all round scent - though I'm not a fan of Boss Elements Aqua.
    I think Boss 6 is great, but that Hugo is a bit overrated.
    Boss in Motion and Boss Soul are both pretty good, but not that compelling to my nose.
    No 1 and Baldessarini are interesting but are fairly short lived ones on my skin. Energize I wasn't taken with, and the newest one - whose name escapes me - seemed pretty good when I tried it.
    The sizzling mossy Hugo Dark Blue on the other hand, is so different and intruiging, that I think it suffers here from not having been put out by a niche house.

One peculiarity of the Boss scents I have, is that the bottles seem to spray out far more EDT per squirt than that of other bottles. Thus it's easier to over do the application of Boss scents.
    Renato

My one and only HB is Baldessarini and I like it.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    The reason Boss isn't mentioned much around here is pretty much the same reason lots of male designer scents don't get much of a show - many people thinking that only niche or feminine scents are any good, and labelling most of the male ones as rubbish.

I, however, think Boss Elements is fabulous - my favourite all round scent - though I'm not a fan of Boss Elements Aqua.
    I think Boss 6 is great, but that Hugo is a bit overrated.
    Boss in Motion and Boss Soul are both pretty good, but not that compelling to my nose.
    No 1 and Baldessarini are interesting but are fairly short lived ones on my skin. Energize I wasn't taken with, and the newest one - whose name escapes me - seemed pretty good when I tried it.
    The sizzling mossy Hugo Dark Blue on the other hand, is so different and intruiging, that I think it suffers here from not having been put out by a niche house.

One peculiarity of the Boss scents I have, is that the bottles seem to spray out far more EDT per squirt than that of other bottles. Thus it's easier to over do the application of Boss scents.
    Renato
    Interesting, when I tested Dark Blue, my impression of the drydown was "Exactly like Lacoste Cool Play's drydown".

I own Boss Bottled but don't really wear it anymore, I'm into more masculine stuff lately. For the other Bosses I don't really care.
    I guess what hampers Boss' reputation is that their stuff is almost exclusively for really young people, which is a market literally overrun by "more-of-the-same"-releases.

I have and use Baldessarini. I have not tried any of the other scents.

It's EdC, but if you're heavy on the trigger it will last.

For me, it's a pleasant safe work scent. The most interesting description I heard was that it smells like money.

Boss #6 is a 'nice' fragrance. Unfortunately it is far too common, too depressingly generic.
    I still like it because its a very 'pleasant' scent, just not very intense or even interesting. My g/f absolutely hates the stuff because it reminds her of every guy in her highschool. I splash it on now and then in summer as a generic totally casual summer splash type fragrance. ie: if im headed to the beach i may splash some on, Itll come off in the water an hour later anyways. Or if I'm loafing around at home drinking beer on the deck. Its not a scent I would choose to represent me when going out, however, mainly because it is so common and generic.
    If you want to smell totally inoffensive, and like everyone else, you cant go wrong with this one. Perhaps it would make a nice inoffensive office-wear scent if you dont care about impressing your coworkers/boss and just want to 'smell nice'. Or a scent for someone of the younger generation just getting into fragrances.

Dark Blue is entirely different. My absolute favorite warm scent is the sadly discontinued DK Men. Dark Blue reminds me very much of DK Men, i believe its the suede note that they both share. It is so much like DK Men that all of the scent-associated memories I have with DK Men are triggered by Dark Blue.
    Its hard to describe, you really have to try it. It is a scent that women universally love though - I havent found one yet that didnt go nuts over it.

My only complaint with Dark Blue is that it doesnt seem to last very long on me, however my g/f can still smell it at the end of the day so perhaps its just my nose getting used to it.

I got a sample of Energize and went crazy over it. I thought it was going to be one of my favorites. When I bought the full size bottle, I loved it for a month or two and now I'm not so into it. I just recently put it on my swap list if anyone else wants to try it. There's a lot going on in there. I thought it was going to be a great citrus, but there's all kinds of different themes including cocoa in there.

I really love Boss Nr 1. Loads of honey and tobacco.
    But one I love and "borrow" from my wife and uses myself is Hugo Boss Intense. It is wonderful how it changes in male skin. It makes me sniff my wrist the hole day.
    cheers
    Halo

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Renato
    haha, ain't that a fact.
    Boss #6 comes out of the bottle like a firehose.
    You can actually see the level of the juice drop after every spray, hehe. Ive tried to kindof 'half spray' it since I dont like to overapply but that only results in the juice spitting out in gobs. So I end up having to mist it from pretty far away to get the right application.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaPoacher

My only complaint with Dark Blue is that it doesnt seem to last very long on me, however my g/f can still smell it at the end of the day so perhaps its just my nose getting used to it.
    So your complaint really is that you can't smell it when the objective evidence is that it is still there. I have a similar problem with Bvlgari Homme.
    Renato

I like Hugo as a nice 'fresh out of the shower' fragrance and think it does its job that way. However, most of the other Boss releases come across as rather safe or dull to me and I don't find them very interesting. They do the job they're supposed to do though.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Boss Sport used to be my signature frag in the 80s. Nothing in their line interests me now. Baldessarini is probably their best frag to date, but i've not been too impressed by it as yet.
    The only Boss I bought 2 years ago is Baldessarini - 2/3 of it still in the bottle and will remain there till the end of times.

I used to wear Boss Spirit in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a great great scent. Sadly it is not being made anymore.

I like "Hugo" quite a lot and #6 is also pretty good.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Blog Entries

Hugo's a very nostalgic frag for me, but I rarely wear it. I got a chance to sniff the new Boss Selection from a magazine strip this weekend & really liked it. I may try it out sometime. I think I've seen it in Sephora.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Baldessarini is a great scent! It is quite a bit better than anything else I've smelled by Boss. I also own In Motion which I loved when I first got it, but not so much anymore.

Whoa! I think this is pretty far off base! I've spent quite a while looking through many people's wardrobes, and found a great diversity of scents and houses. There are hardly any wardrobes (if any) that are a majority of niche frags.

I like Boss no.6(bottled) and Boss Soul, Selections is alright but unimpressive, Del Mar isn't something I'd buy but if it was given to me I'd wear, same with Dark Blue, its interesting and I won it, so I wear it sometimes. Hugo and Energize make me sick to my stomach, I haven't tried anything else.

My girlfriend loves soul.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller