Code of Conduct

Default Essential Oil substitutes_which oils smell alike?

sorry everyone im such a newbie! but a passionate, abeit cheap one...some of the oils mentioned here seem very exotic and difficult to obtain at health food stores for example

...i'm starting this thread to see if anyone can suggest substitutes for certain oils...such as amber recipes, guaiac wood oil, ho wood, tonka bean..these are just a few that seem exotic and i would not know where to begin in describing them! if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement, that would be excellent...
    I am the sweet fragrance in the earth. I am the heat in the fire, the life in all living beings, and the austerity in the ascetics. -bhaghavad-gita

fave scents: le feu d'issey, missoni by missoni, armani prive bois d'encens, prive ambre soie, calvin klein truth, liz claiborne curve for men, estee lauder youth dew amber nude, any escada ibiza hippie, etc, gucci rush for men, paco rabanne...
    sandalwood, frankincense, myrhh, cinnamon, clove, amber, peppery, woody, smoky scents...

Default Re: Essential Oil substitutes_which oils smell alike?

or even if anyone has 'recipes' for a designer fragrance they have recreated, or even...the smell of chocolate!!
    I am the sweet fragrance in the earth. I am the heat in the fire, the life in all living beings, and the austerity in the ascetics. -bhaghavad-gita

fave scents: le feu d'issey, missoni by missoni, armani prive bois d'encens, prive ambre soie, calvin klein truth, liz claiborne curve for men, estee lauder youth dew amber nude, any escada ibiza hippie, etc, gucci rush for men, paco rabanne...
    sandalwood, frankincense, myrhh, cinnamon, clove, amber, peppery, woody, smoky scents...

Hey IRE, the list of your notes are some of my faves also. So I figured we could exchange some thoughs on oils. As far as amber recipes go Eden Botanicals is second to none and I wear it alone sometimes. Guaiacwood oil is easy enough to find , but may be a task to work with due to it's semi-solid state. Sandalwood has been adulterated with amyris and muhuhu ( really nice and interesting stuff. It dries down to an oudish smell) for a while. I have blended them myself and the results have been very good . Add some rose otto and you have an arabian attar. Do you have any suggestions for a spicy peppery note other than black pepper. I've been trying to find capiscum but to no avail. Hope the info helps. Cheers, James.

Lightbulb Re: Essential Oil substitutes_which oils smell alike?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie
    Hey IRE, the list of your notes are some of my faves also. So I figured we could exchange some thoughs on oils. As far as amber recipes go Eden Botanicals is second to none and I wear it alone sometimes. Guaiacwood oil is easy enough to find , but may be a task to work with due to it's semi-solid state. Sandalwood has been adulterated with amyris and muhuhu ( really nice and interesting stuff. It dries down to an oudish smell) for a while. I have blended them myself and the results have been very good . Add some rose otto and you have an arabian attar. Do you have any suggestions for a spicy peppery note other than black pepper. I've been trying to find capiscum but to no avail. Hope the info helps. Cheers, James.
    hi james, nice to find someone else with the same tastes... yes i think i like 'male' scents much more than most women... thanks for the tips, i would never have known any of those details, especially as a beginner...

i love mixing perfumes and aromatherapy in general, i realised life as a student was really stressful and unhealthy! so ive been collecting essential oils and never noticed before how relaxing they are...i had a few hippie friends who would wear patchouli straight and i thought it was so weird and awful smelling... but only recently i tried to recreate amber nude with the basenotes listed on this site for it and it was nearly the same scent! i can't believe how easy and accurate it is if you know exactlly what is in the designer scents!

i like to shop at aromatherapy shops, like saje.ca, or aveda... these are some of the few that we have in canada... also we seem to only have aromaforce or aura cacia essential oils and not even the full selection,too bad.. its much easier to find the best oils this way..ive realised that all lavender oils, for example are not the same.

also, you may just find a deal at a dollar store even... ive found excellent jasmine and even cantelope and lilac blends for a dollar at these places or at the pharmacy.... so look everywhere for good oils i think... the best is being able to smell and compare them right away if you are at a shoppe... even the bodyshoppe has some pretty interesting home fragrance oils..i know its taboo to use anything less than the best but ive made some pretty good creations thus far...

i was thinking to try to make my own amber with vetiver, patchouli, and sandalwood but im not sure if i even know what real amber smells like! so the eden botanicals amber is a must smell for me! i noticed that i love ambery smells,

the gaiac wood sounds much too complicated for me, maybe i can substitute sandalwood or cedar? hmmm i don't know...

sandalwood and frankincense i looove. almost every perfume i like has this in it...do you know of anything which smells the same??

my suggestion, for a peppery almost leafy note is cassia bark oil by aura cacia. usually i really dislike cinnamon but i smelled this one as a straight oil and found it amazing..its very strong and peppery to me... i hope you think the same! i feel a bit 'tone deaf' in a way, as a perfumer...

maybe you can buy or make a homemade still to extract the capiscum yourself? im not sure what that smells like but i guess black pepper oil isnt' a substitute at all? again, try the cassia bark... i just tried to make the following perfume, le feu d'issey, a women's perfume which has been discontinued..its really too bad i got so many compliments with it!

Top Notes
    Bulgarian Rose, Coriander ,

Middle Notes

Sichuan Pepper, Golden Japanese Lily ,

Base Notes
    Gauaic wood, Milky Amber,

here too i need some sichuan pepper oil which sounds very exotic and unattainable...also i am not sure what is meant by milky amber... i am not even sure how to make a milky scent other than adding vanilla...

i used tea rose instead of bulgarian rose, coriander, lily, texas cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, frankincense, pink pepper, and cassia bark...the cassia bark overwhelms it all but im quite happy..it smells like rose with a peppery finish...

i made a version of this the other day, it was quite botched i think just put in too many smells..i had a version which with only 3 oils in it, vetiver, cassia bark and cedarwood and promptly spilled it... anyways it splashed all over my papers...a few minutes later i smelled the most wonderful leafy peppery smell! i guess it was a good mixture and i wish i could recreate it!

Default Re: good links for blending

also found this site...

you might like prive bois d'encens by armani...smells just like amber and pine...

Elemi gives a lovely peppery note. It's inexpensive here in Europe, I'm not sure about other locations.