Code of Conduct

Default Colours and Colognes

So, I don't have a huge arsenal of fragrances, and am just getting in on this kick, but already I've noticed, that it just feels "wrong" to wear certain things with certain colours. For example, I could not bring myself to wear Eau D'Orange verte with the blue t-shirt I was wearing, though it goes great with black. The blue t-shirt is for cool water deep.

Does anyone have examples of this, is this a known phenomenon, or is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colours and Colognes

does the thought of mismatching colours with colognes make you anxious?
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the other day about this. I find when I think of frags I often picture certain colours in my mind. A lot of the time this is influenced by the colour of the juice / bottle I reckon.

The colours I associate (not wear ) with certain frags
    Kouros = Gold / Yellow
    Antaeus = Charcoal Grey
    Fahrenheit = Red
    Eau Sauvage = White
    Visit = Royal Blue
    Halston Z14 = Purple
    Giv Gentlemen = White

It happens all the time! Unless I'm really in the mood for something particular, the colors of my clothing wardrobe does have some element of consideration to it when I'm picking what to wear. With a black or white button shirt I always wear Armani Code or Emporio Night, but if it's a different color I like to reach for Romance Silver or Rykiel Homme. That's just an example of the different factors that are at play in your mind when you put something on, and it's interesting once in a while to talk about these underlying psychological factors that also include mood, time of day, weather, season, location, occasion, degree of formality, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    does the thought of mismatching colours with colognes make you anxious?
    No, i just feels a bit "wrong" - I wouldn't have a fit if I did it or anything!

John and Rompip - do you think it's really about the smell, or about the bottle and packaging? Often I associate music with colours, and then I realize it's based on the album cover!

Cool Water Deep and blue is obvious because the package is all blue, so maybe that's all it is, but I wonder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have this thought at all. Color with some type of fragrance is not something that comes to mind when choosing what to wear.

I can understand why people would though...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Envyus, color and fragrance don't really have much to do with eachother I find, although, the type of clothing I'm wearing and my fragrance definitely play on each other. For instance, I don't think I could get dressed up wearing a*men, but its perfect for shorts and a polo
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Ave, Caesar,
    -
    You've brought up some very interesting topics and posts so far, good going!

To answer the post, I wear any perfume I like any day. Be it formally dressed or casually - the colours of the clothes don't make a difference to me. Also, do fragrance associations with colours have anything to do with the ads that the perfumes were shown in?

Thats not the case for me. What I wear depends on the weather and my mood really. And since the weather affects your mood to a certain degree, they usually go hand in hand. On a sunny day Im reaching for Guerlein Vetiver or something very light and uplifting.

Post Thanks / Like

When I wear something black I often go for leather frags like Dzing or Cuiron.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    John and Rompip - do you think it's really about the smell, or about the bottle and packaging? Often I associate music with colours, and then I realize it's based on the album cover!

Cool Water Deep and blue is obvious because the package is all blue, so maybe that's all it is, but I wonder.
    Yes I do think the focus is centered on the smell and my evidence is Polo Black. If you take a look in the directory, you'll find that members Rashkae, MonkeyManMatt, RCavs, kmfdm10392, Legends, and Joel_Cairo all commented that the fragrance isn't black at all, even though the bottle/marketing would suggest this. Now unless there was something to it, how would all these members detect a color (or lack thereof) in a frag?

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D
    Also, do fragrance associations with colours have anything to do with the ads that the perfumes were shown in?
    I was wondering that myself - I mentioned it earlier. It's not so much ads as I don't really ever see ads for this stuff, but I wonder if I'm just influenced by the packaging, colour of the bottle or liquid etc. It's mostly about the reds and blues - it's the cool waters - for some reason I feel weird about wearing them with red, and similarly I feel wrong about wearing Orange Verte or Opium with blue. Black goes with everything. WHo knows maybe this is just some weird temporary neurotic thing! It doesn't strike me as any more weird than feeling like one scent is ok for casual vs formal, night vs day, etc.

I wonder if Cool Water Deep was red in a red bottle, if I'd feel exactly the opposite and only want to wear it with red or black and never blue.

I will only worry about colour when the juice will stain my shirt!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR

I reckon its a bit of both. The marketers / packaging designers obviously draw their inspiration for deciding on box/bottle/juice colours from the way the fragrance smells.

So, finally something besides a Cool Water variant that I can wear with a dark blue t-shirt: Xeryus Rouge.

Awesome thread, I always associate scents with colour. Here's a few of mine:

Serge Lutens Chergui - Colour of light desert Sand
    Daim Blond - Blue and Purple Mix
    Creed Imperial - Deep Blood Red
    m7 fresh - grey with red flecks
    varvatos - deep purple
    antaeus - mahogany

Wanted to start this thread up again as I've noticed some more fragrances that go with certain colours of clothes -

M7 fresh I think I can only wear with black tops. Actually black clothes "match" almost every fragrance, just like they match almost any colour.

Body Kouros goes best with black, or purples.

Kouros - I like it, but I can't seem to wear it with anything!

Jardin Sur le Nil is best with black or dark browns and greens, or white.

Silver Mountain Water goes with dark reds and oranges for some reason.

And when it comes to just associating fragrances with colours in the abstract - it's almost always the colour of the bottle or juice for me!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Definitely. It's odd, but mainly I find this for my Creed's. Not so much with my other scents.

Scent: Colors
    Millesime Imperial: White, Light Brown
    Himalaya: Light Blue, Pink
    GIT: Green , Black

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I was wondering that myself - I mentioned it earlier. It's not so much ads as I don't really ever see ads for this stuff, but I wonder if I'm just influenced by the packaging, colour of the bottle or liquid etc. It's mostly about the reds and blues - it's the cool waters - for some reason I feel weird about wearing them with red, and similarly I feel wrong about wearing Orange Verte or Opium with blue. Black goes with everything. WHo knows maybe this is just some weird temporary neurotic thing! It doesn't strike me as any more weird than feeling like one scent is ok for casual vs formal, night vs day, etc.

I wonder if Cool Water Deep was red in a red bottle, if I'd feel exactly the opposite and only want to wear it with red or black and never blue.
    Even though you have a history of nearly asphyxiating yourself with your overly enthusiastic applications of multiple scents, no, honey, you are NOT neurotic about this color thingy you are going through.
    Happens to me all the time.
    When I wear fleurs d'oranger I sometimes gravitate towards melon colored or orange hued accessories, my sandalwood scents feel at home with an earthy pallette, my unakite (green stone with terracotta and blush streaks) carved necklace loves my Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

All things related to human senses mean something. I agree with you--color of cologne will have to go with my clothes of the day!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Wink Re: Colours and Colognes

I only wear Grey Flannel when I'm wearing grey flannel, which is never! It already seems complicated enough without having to wonder if my cologne matches my shirt color! But if you can think of a way of making money with this idea, go for it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on the side that the fragrance does not dictate the color of the clothes I wear (or vice versa). The fragrance I apply is done so because it is what I want to smell that day. But, I can see how someone would take it to a different level and match up fragrance choices with clothes colors.

Hey something I just noticed in terms of abstract colour association and fragrance rather than fragrance and clothing colours - Normally I associate most fragrances with either the colour of the liquid or the bottle. That led me to believe that it was the packaging that determined my association. Now I believe that that just means that the people who made the packaging are just good marketers and picked the right colours - the reason I say that is because I notice that Creeds are completely the "wrong" colour! Silver Mountain Water has a pure white bottle. But I associate it with rusty orange or burgundies. Himalaya is silver, but to me it smells like yellow and pink clouds from a sunrise or sunset.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread