Code of Conduct

Default New to fragrances, need some advice

Hello there, first post here on the forums and I must say I enjoy the site a lot! I'm relatively a newbie to cologne (although I have worn it since about middle school, I'm now 19) and used to just wear whatever I felt smelt good at the time. Now that I've dived deeper into the world of colognes I've noticed theres a lot more to them then what meets the eye. Some are good for everyday use in the spring/summer months, some are good for the winter months, some are stronger and should only be used for formal occassions and such. With all the recent research I've done on the topic at hand I'm still a little overwhelmed at all the information out there and would like some advice.

Basically I'm looking for a good cologne for everyday casual use (going to class, hanging out and what not) and a good cologne for going out and partying. For the everyday casual use I was thinking about picking up DKNY Be Delicious but have found that this is a common cologne and want something more unique, any suggestions? I'm still at a loss of what I want for my going out/partying type cologne but have been looking at Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci Envy. A little more on the atmosphere of where I "party" -- I like in a frat house, so I typically party here on the weekends, most of the time it's laid back and in the basement of the house which can get rather smokey so I was thinking of maybe getting something that would play off of that. It's not incredibly smokey though so I'm not sure if I should put too much thought into getting a cologne that would work well with that kind of atmosphere.

With all that said, hopefully I can get some good advice from the members of this forum. A little more about me: 19 years old, athletic, I enjoy playing the guitar, and I love to party . Thanks in advance everyone!

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: New to fragrances, need some advice

Michael Kors Michael for Men would be suitable for either use, although perhaps more for the partying than class if I had to choose.

Hello, and welcome oakleys!

May I ask which school are you attend?

I assume you want two seperate colognes for your joy. There are so many to choose from. I am going to pull random scents out and if you don't know them, try them.

Everyday Casual:
    Live Jazz from YSL
    Cologne from Thierry Mugler
    Chrome from Louis Azzaro
    ^^ these are all fresh scents. They are more summery. I don't know your climate but I'll suggest some winter ones as well.
    M7 from YSL
    Animale Animale from Animale Perfumes
    Dior Homme from Christian Dior
    Evny from Gucci
    Gucci pour Homme from Gucci

Those are all lovely everyday scents to wear around class and hanging out. Most work well at parties too but it might be a little different for you. Try what you can of the bunch. They are all easy to locate. Good luck with those.

Partie scents:
    Black Code from Giorgio Armani
    Black from Bvlgari
    Green Irish Tweed from Creed
    Millesome Imperial from Creed
    Angel men from Thierry Mugler

It is my opinion that you do not want to be the regular fresh smelling guy who stands out at a party. Most parties are at night and the top two scents are great for the dark.

For smelling like smoke, you might want to try to locate Tea for Two, from L'Artisan, and Fumerie Turque, from Serge Lutens. They are both heavy in a smokeyness that would have you fitting it. They are more high end and harder to find so good luck with those two.

I hope some of these are what you might be looking for. Enjoy the hunt!

Thanks for the very informative reply Envy! Currently I'm attending Iowa State University so the climate is typically hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. I'll definitely be checking those colognes out! I've been meaning to try Chrome by Azzaro anywho

Quote Originally Posted by oakleys
    Thanks for the very informative reply Envy! Currently I'm attending Iowa State University so the climate is typically hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. I'll definitely be checking those colognes out! I've been meaning to try Chrome by Azzaro anywho
    Wonderful! Well if you are going into sophmore year then we are the same level. I'm about to be 19 in less than 2 weeks. Second year comming up! Can't wait. Get on that testing. Find what you can.

PS ~ I'm at University of Colorado at Boulder. You'd think I knew more party scents...