Code of Conduct

Default I Am A Complete Fragrance Virgin

Until now, I have been relying almost exclusively on Old Spice deodorant and Axe/Tag body spray for my smelly needs. I want to kick off my second year of college with a bit of class, and that includes getting myself my first serious fragrance.

My ideal would be something that's akin to a moist forest along the seashore. I want something that evokes the cool ocean breeze, fresh cut grass, the smell of the woods, perhaps incense (sandalwood is good), maybe some floral notes, and something sweet like vanilla or chocolate - I love the smell of wet pavement just after a storm has passed, if that helps at all. Something cool, green and fresh, but not sharp or lacking depth. I'm all into the zen, guru on the mountaintop, Asian flute kind of feel, but I don't necessarily like the spicy or citrusy cents that often accompany Orientals.

I want the scent to be distinctive. I could easily just buy Acqua di Gio, but I want my first fragrance to be something truly special.

While I would not like the fragrance to be overpowering, I wouldn't mind getting a bit of attention from it. Subtle to an extent. I've been looking at some of the Creed products such as SMW, GIT, and Erolfa, but their apparent lack of longevity concerns me.

Do any of you have suggestions for a QUALITY fragrance that approximately matches what I have in mind? Thank you very very much in advance, and I hope this is the first of many educational and interesting conversations I will have with all of you!
    Last edited by cause = time; 8th August 2006 at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: I Am A Complete Fragrance Virgin

Himalaya, by Creed, is pretty much everything you've specified. You'll need to trust your nose though, not someone else's, if you want success.

Less expensive, and worth trying:

XS pour homme, Paco Rabanne
    212 Men, Carolina Herrera
    Allure Homme Sport, Chanel

Welcome to Basenotes! I'll come back with some more when I'm thinking straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, welcome to Basenotes!

Have you tried:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Terre d'Hermes

ok this is going to be difficult , but try them out and later on say to me what you thought:

Cool ocean breeze: Inis ; Escada's Feeling Free; CB I Hate Perfume's Winter 1972.
    Fresh cut grass: Miracle Homme L'aquatonic; Ô pour Homme (lancôme), vent vert.
    Smell of the Woods: (what type of woods did you mean?): Dry-earthy-european woods: Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez.
    Pine Woods: Ralph Lauren's Polo; Pino Silvestre; versace's Green jeans.
    Tropical woods (with some fruits added): beyond paradise for men
    Woods of Birch and Juniper with fruits: Escape for men
    Sweet Vanilla : givenchy's PI, if that's too much then try the EDT of Jaïpur Homme by boucheron.
    Chocolate: A*Men, if that's too much then try comme des garçons spicy cocoa.
    Wet Pavement: YES there is a scent called just that: "Wet Pavement: London" only available at the gallery! (it's made by CB I Hate Perfume also...!)

i really don't know what your idea of quality is, but just try the frags and if you like at least one tell please!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 9th August 2006 at 03:13 PM.

Ocean Breeze - Kenzo PH
    Fresh Cut grass (green scent) - il Giardano by Mike Storer and Polo
    Woods and floral - Paco Rabanne XS PH
    Green/Mossy - Paco Rabanne PH or Bogart by Jacques Bogart
    Green - Fahrenheit

You could also look into Gucci Envy and Geir Ness for different ideas.

Il Giardino by Storer
    Iquitos by Alain Delon
    Ungaro II
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd throw out Dior Fahrenheit, Azzaro Visit or Givenchy Very Irresistable, they're not exactly what you asked for, but they each have elements of it. They're serious fragrances of high quality, relatively inexpensive and easy to get. They're hard not to like, fahrenheit is warm, woody, smokey with a little spice, Visit has pepper up top then cool woods for hours, VI is warm, smokey, lots of hazelnut, coffee, chocolate notes a little green a little wood. Test them out, you have nothing to lose.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. What if I were to describe my ideal, more specifically, in the following manner? Would much change?

A walk by the bayside on a very foggy and moist day. I like the aquatic feel, but I don't want something that reminds me of the beach, I want something of the cool, foghorn-filled bay... if that makes any sense. Also, the air by the bay should be filled with sandalwood incense and have an overall sensual and romantic feel to it.

Keep the hits comin! Thanks you all for being so exceptionally helpful!

CB's (I Hate Perfume) M2 BlackMarch sounds like something I would like. Does anybody have any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by cause = time
    Thank you all very much for your suggestions. What if I were to describe my ideal, more specifically, in the following manner? Would much change?

A walk by the bayside on a very foggy and moist day. I like the aquatic feel, but I don't want something that reminds me of the beach, I want something of the cool, foghorn-filled bay... if that makes any sense. Also, the air by the bay should be filled with sandalwood incense and have an overall sensual and romantic feel to it.

Keep the hits comin! Thanks you all for being so exceptionally helpful!
    Hehe, again I'm throwing that Himalaya out at you! Erolfa might also be a line to follow. It's aquatic in the marine sense, and although you discounted Creed because of longevity both of the above last well.

Bulgari Aqva is also often associated with a dark sea setting, and you might want to check Kenzo pour Homme out as a more 'out there' choice.

Really? Most reviews in the directory have stated that the main problem with Himalaya is its lack of longevity.
    Last edited by cause = time; 9th August 2006 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cause = time
    Really? Most reviews in the directory have stated that the main problem with Himalaya is its lack of longevity.
    It's all about skin type, and essentially how the Creed natural essence oils break down. I suppose I'm falling into the trap of using myself as a test dummy! All of the Creeds thus far have led a reasonable life on my skin, of course this is not the case for everyone. All I can say is: test, test, test.

My ultimate ocean scent is Mare by Creative Universe.

I think scentemental said it best in his review:

*Mare* has the purest, most authentic marine note of any of the more popular marine-note fragrances currently on the market, all of which seem tricked up in comparison. *Mare* is pure sea salt in some ways. Also, it has a very simple and minimalist note structure: sea salt note, avocado note, and ginger lily note. It’s really a masterpiece of simplicity and elegance. The ginger lily gives it a beautiful, very quiet, final white flower basenote that begins to develop well into the drydown when the avocado note abates the sea salt note by adding to it a creaminess that rounds out the accord beautifully in concert with the final ginger lily note as the sharp, brackish sea salt note begins to recede like the tide going out. A word of warning: the initial sea salt top note is a little jarring at first, but I think that’s part of the fragrance’s appeal. Salt smells strange, otherworldly almost, and since this fragrance has one of the truest marine notes of all, one would expect that note to have a strange, brackish quality to it. Finally, what I also really like about *Mare* is the experience of how it develops over time. It’s one of those fragrances that makes you aware that not all great fragrances have to smell exquisite right out of the bottle. Some things are certainly worth waiting for and waiting for (and experiencing) *Mare’s* drydown is one of them.

Whenever I read woods, flowers, and fresh air I think Halston 1-12. I have recommended it on this sight many times and I notice it doesn't get much mention by others. That makes me feel a bit forlorne(sp) but I feel go good when someone agrees with me that it is an original. It may be too sweet for you and not deep enough on the wood notes, but I really encourage you to try it. I hope you let me know what you think.

Btw, it has been reviewed in the directory.

Post Thanks / Like

go for chanel allure, you will enjoy it

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, you will enjoy it because it has a touch of freshness with a touch of woods

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Geir yet

Geir