Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What does the ocean really smell like?

Here's the quote:
    I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it is because in addition to the fact that the sea changes and the light changes, and ships change, it is because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. (We also have the same percentage of water in our bodies as there is between the sea and the land.) We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.

That reminds of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer is trying to launch a fragrance that smells like the beach through Calvin Klein:

KRAMER: Go ahead smell, smell.
    STEVE: Yeah, so?
    KRAMER: Do you recognize it? ... The beach.
    STEVE: What are you talking about?
    KRAMER: Oh, I'm talking about the beach.
    STEVE: What about it?
    KRAMER: You know the way you smell when you first come home from the beach?
    Well, I want to make a cologne that captures the essence of that smell. Oh yeah.
    STEVE: That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.
    KRAMER: Oh, wait, Did you here what I just said?
    STEVE: Do you think people are going to pay $80 a bottle to smell like dead
    fish and sea weed? That's why people take showers when the come
    home from the beach. It's an objectionable offensive odour.

There you go. An objectionable offensive odour. Thats the ocean! lol

That pungent, salty ocean smell comes from a gas produced by bacteria: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16928653/. It's called dimethyl sulfide.

I believe that bacteria living in and on things are probably responsible for other smells we associate with them--like the smell of wet earth.
    Currently wearing: Lavender Palm by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Decomposition of plant material and microbes, I agree, are part of the ocean smell complex. Think of the ocean as a huge pot of soup with minerals (including salts), iodine, microbes, other sea animals and their bi-products, and plants in various stages of life and decay. The question is; does one really want to smell like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Herb_Lady, I love what your question does to my mind. It's pretty different than the usual questions about aquatics. A couple things. One is that the actual smell of the ocean is not always that pleasant, esp. at the beach. It often smells like piles of rotting stuff. Out on the water, it's quite different, but so subtle that it's hard to describe. The second is that the ocean is such a huge force that it's hard to imagine taking away a strictly olfactory impression. The ocean is so active, vast, powerful, and quick to remind you that it's in charge. So anything that seems tame or narrowly pleasant fails to evoke the ocean for me. I've sort of given up the ocean as something to be carried around as a fragrance. But I do love it, I dream about it.
    The closest thing I know to the actual ocean in a fragrance is Laura Tonatto's Oltre, and I decided it was too stark and harsh to actually wear. But I do wish I hadn't sold it, actually. I may have to get another bottle.
    Great thread, thanks.

Does anyone smell something oceanic on eau de rochas? To me, there`s something on that one that has a beach aura...

CSP has one called Eau de Biarritz which has a strong iodine top note. I've had it, and thought it came pretty close.

DeepSilence

Something with Fish or Shrimp smell. Kouros !!

Different seas definitely have different smells - I can't help but notice the difference between home and Miami, for example, where the seawater is very light and mild-smelling, none of that not-nice but kind of nice salty-soupy-planty smell we get here. Also find European Atlantic to have a slightly different smell from here, though more similar than that of down south.

Can't say I've smelled a realistic rendition of any ocean I've come across.