Code of Conduct

Thread: What Soap?

Default What Soap?

I like scents that are described as soap, and own Bulgari PH, Mugler cologne, Clean Men and Gendarme 20. In many threads here all of these have been associated with "soap" and I can see why. But each of these fragrances are different from each other, and many others that some have described as soapy such as Liz Claiborne Sport don't smell at all like soap to me. As someone pointed out, we each must have our own idea of what soap smells like. For example, for many years I thought and still think that Grey Flannel lightly applied smells like soap -- just clean and what I associate with that "out of the shower" scent after using maybe Johnsons baby shampoo or Prell. While others have described Grey Flannel as harsh and strong, not once in all my years of use did anyone comment on my "cologne" while wearing it --just that I smelled nice -- but I received many comments on others (so it wasn't just that no one noticed what I was wearing).

So, I'm interested in not only what colognes others think "smell like soap," but what soap in particular or other shower-related scent (like Johnsons baby shampoo), etc.

Default Re: What Soap?

Dunno which brand of soap it resembles, but Creed OV is a great mix of soap and vetiver. Even though it is similar to Mugler cologne, the creed is more soapy imo and lasts a hell of a lot longer.

Grabazzi has always reminded me of soap.

Regards,
    Steve

I sampled the new Boucheron (the blue one) at Sak's last week and on the drydown, all I got was soap, soap, and more soap.

sorry to be so tiresome always with a mark birley post but . . .

it smells more like soap than perfume in a way, like (as I just wrote on another thread sorry) the person wearing had just used olive and aloe soap, which is an irresistable scent, although this isn't the same fragrance it's related in an important way

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    sorry to be so tiresome always with a mark birley post but . . .

it smells more like soap than perfume in a way, like (as I just wrote on another thread sorry) the person wearing had just used olive and aloe soap, which is an irresistable scent, although this isn't the same fragrance it's related in an important way
    Every post you make is practically identical.

I guess the main point of my thread wasn't well made. There are lots of threads about what colognes remind us of soap or other shower smells. What I'd like to know is what exactly is meant by that, for example what brand of soap? Clean men starts off like Coast and ends as orignial Zest IMO. Mugler Cologne to me is like a fancy luxury bar of soap. Grey Flannel reminds of the smell after showering with Johnsons baby shampoo. Others?

I know what you mean. I have just used some unperfumed soap and I think it is this smell which we are refering to when we say soap rather than a particular brand.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Hermes, Eau des Merveilles smells like Breck Shampoo to me! I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell View Post
    I guess the main point of my thread wasn't well made. There are lots of threads about what colognes remind us of soap or other shower smells. What I'd like to know is what exactly is meant by that, for example what brand of soap? Clean men starts off like Coast and ends as orignial Zest IMO. Mugler Cologne to me is like a fancy luxury bar of soap. Grey Flannel reminds of the smell after showering with Johnsons baby shampoo. Others?
    Demeter Pure Soap touches on Ivory. But. the Ivory "type" essential oil is better. There are oils for coast, irish spring etc. They can be mixed with unscented oil which cuts the strength a bit because the fragrances can be a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul View Post
    Dunno which brand of soap it resembles, but Creed OV is a great mix of soap and vetiver. Even though it is similar to Mugler cologne, the creed is more soapy imo and lasts a hell of a lot longer.
    I sampled this yesterday with one spray to the wrist. I can still smell it this morning even after washing my hands many times yesterday. It certainly has lasting power and it does smell a lot like Mugler once it dries down.