Code of Conduct

Default Purchasing Bond No. 9 on eBay

I took the plunge and got a 50ml bottle of Bond No. 9 Fire Island today for full retail. There are a couple others I definitely want to get, but obviously I'd rather save money where I can. I've been seeing Bond No. 9 on eBay, usually in the 100ml bottles for less than the 50ml can be had at retail. The sellers have stellar feedback ratings, but even so, you know the saying about something seeming too good to be true...

So, has anyone had positive experiences in buying Bond No. 9 from eBay sellers?
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Default Re: Purchasing Bond No. 9 on eBay

I've bought from dragon fly who is actually a basenoter and frequently has decants. I think the best bet is Lisa at beautycafe. She gives a 10% discount to basenoters. Better than full price.

I think it's a safe bet. From just a quick skim through Froogle (type in the string "Bond no. 9") - it is apparent that Mlle Rahme has lost control of her supply chain and there is gray market Bond to be had despite her earlier rather harsh words about laxity of Creed's supply chain. Bond is starting to pop up at on-line discount perfume shops as well as e-bay

Yes many bond no 9 bottles (3.3 oz) can be bought on Ebay for $86-$89...a friend of mine has bought a few and they are all legit.

Strange really, since it was this supply chain gray market issue that caused Rahme to break up from Creed (along with some payment issues...rahme defaulted on some payment)
    -

i bought 2 small samples of so new york. glad i got the samples. was a scrubber for me.

It's really quite simple. When your unit costs are low and you can sell your products at an exhorbitant price on the regular retail market, you can afford to relax your supply control and flood the grey market, if you're that way inclined. Why? Because at even 80 or 90 dollars a bottle, you're still making a fortune and the bonus is that your product looks like a steal at that price.

Gee, I wonder who Bond No. 9 New York learned that strategy from?

I got talking to a wholesaler recently and he let me know without telling me directly that a 4 oz
    tester bottle of Silver Mountain Water EDP costs him around $15.00 to $20.00 to buy. He wasn't prepared to be more specific than that. Even at that price, Creed still makes a profit, so you can imagine what it costs Creed to produce.

Unit costs for designer scents are even lower. I have it on good authority that a new, in box 3.4 oz bottle of say Azzaro Pour Homme costs $3.00 to produce, that's including the packaging. Yes $3.00.

This is why we shouldn't be surprised when even Dior made a huge number of Dior Homme tester bottles available for the grey market. Scentiments.com had over 400 hundred at one stage almost immediately upon the release of the Dior Homme. To be more specific about 6 weeks after Dior Homme hit the retail shelves, Scentiments.com was selling Dior Homme testers for about $35.00. The point is you don't have to worry about the wholesalers, the retailers, and especially the producers of the fragrances not making money when you see their products selling at half price or less. Trust me, they're all getting their share.

Let's say that for the purposes of argument that it costs Dior $10.00 to produce a bottle of Dior Homme for the market. It doesn't matter to them if Scentiments.com sells it for $35.00 or if Nordstrom sells it for $65.00; they make the same amount on the bottle whoever ends up selling it. The same thing happened with Hermès' Terre d’Hermès, which was available online at Imaginationperfumery.com for $54.00 after a 10 percent discount the very same week my local Neiman Marcus got it on the shelves and was selling it for $100.00. Now, not all producers take this route of allowing the grey market to be flooded with their products; Chanel's distribution is limited and very tight, but clearly many companies have already gone the grey market route and even the presitigious designers such as Dior and Hermès have followed suit. The grey market is like the internet; it's an alternative economy, and it seems to be a lucrative one at the moment. Why should anybody be surprised that Bond No. 9 New York is following suit?

The fact that because the price is about half retail should not cause anyone any undue worry as to the authenticity of the product. It's the way of the world these days: price high and sell cheap.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 8th April 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

It's really quite simply. When your unit costs are low and you can sell your products at an exhorbitant price on the regular retail market, you can afford to relax your supply control and flood the grey market, if you're that way inclined. Why? Because at even 80 or 90 dollars a bottle, you're still making a fortune and the bonus is that your product looks like a steal at that price.

I got talking to a wholesaler recently and he let me know without telling me directly that a 4 oz
    tester bottle of Silver Mountain Water EDP costs him around $15.00 to $20.00 to buy. He wasn't prepared to be more specific than this. Even at that price, Creed still makes a profit, so you can imagine what it costs Creed to produce.

Unit costs for designer scents are even lower. I have it on good authority that a new, in box 3.4 oz bottle of say Azzaro Pour Homme costs $3.00 to produce, that's including the packaging. Yes $3.00. Trust me folks, the ambergris in Azzaro Pour Homme is not real whale's vomit.

This is why we shouldn't be surprised when even Dior made a huge number of Dior Homme tester bottles available for the grey market. Scentiments.com had over 400 hundred at one stage almost immediately upon the release of the Dior Homme. About a month after Dior Homme hit the retail shelves, Scentiments.com was selling Dior Homme testers for about $35.00. The point is you don't have to worry about the wholesalers, the retailers, and especially the producers of the fragrances not making money when you see their products selling at half price or less. Trust me, they're all getting their share.

Let's say that for the purposes of argument that it costs Dior $10.00 to produce a bottle of Dior Homme for the market. It doesn't matter to them if Scentiments.com sells it for $35.00 or if Nordstrom sells it for $65.00; they make the same amount on the bottle whoever ends up selling it. The same thing happened with Hermès and Terre d’Hermès, which was available online at Imaginationperfumery.com for $54.00 after a 10 percent discount the very same week my local Neiman Marcus got it on the shelves and was selling it for $100.00. Now, not all producers are going this route; Chanel practice a very tight control on its fragrances, but clearly many companies have already gone the grey market route and even the presitigious designers such as Dior and Hermès have followed suit. The grey market seems to be where it's at at the moment. Why should anybody be surprised that Bond No. 9 New York is following suit?

The assumption that because the price is about half retail should not cause anyone any undue worry as to the authenticity of the product. It's the way of the world these days: price high and sell cheap.

scentemental

Another great post by scentimental - i keep learning more and more!
    -

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

lol, and this doesnt help Bond no. 9s' case of not being original too
    -

Thanks scentemental for the excellent info and analysis (I thought about copying the post, but figured I'd save the space!). It's good information to have.

I can't say I'd be too happy with my brand managers if I were the owner of a luxury brand and they wanted to pursue this strategy. I'm sure it makes money, but it has to degrade their image. Then again, maybe $90 a bottle is still considered luxury/high-end to most folks. Still, the ability to buy it on the gray market, I would think, would eventually degrade their image. I guess we won't know for a while what effect (if any) this strategy has on the images of Creed, Bond, Dior, Hermes, et al.

I recently purchased a bottle of Bond No.9 from an ebay seller called Manhattanperfume (or something like that) and the service was first class. The product was well packed and it reached UK in about a week.

Andy

I work at TJ Maxx. Most people think the stuff we sell there is so cheap because there is something wrong with it, but in reality, most all of our merchandise is perfect (if it's an imperfect item, it will say so on the tag). The reason the prices are so low is that we get things from buyers who are able to secure low prices on the goods (maybe because they're a little older or the manufacturer made too many). We get fragrances in all of the time, many of them new releases (Baldessarini Del Mar deodorant came in last week... the frag will probably follow). We have the original Baldessarini "Prestige" bottle there (1.6oz, metal-encased refillable job) -which retails for $100 in department stores- for $25. I wouldn't be afraid at all to get something off of eBay, so long as the feedback is good.

Wow, that's brutal! $15! I wouldn't be sure that they make a profit on that though - it's a promotional item - that may well be cost price though, or even a bit below. But wow - in Canada a 75ml Creed sells for $275!

I definitely don't have to feel guilty for getting everything on ebay anymore!

On the other hand, the 3$ cost price for designer bottle does not surprise me in the least - it's all synthetics and costs almost nothing. The bottle is probably the most expensive part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    I got talking to a wholesaler recently and he let me know without telling me directly that a 4 oz tester bottle of Silver Mountain Water EDP costs him around $15.00 to $20.00 to buy. He wasn't prepared to be more specific than that. Even at that price, Creed still makes a profit, so you can imagine what it costs Creed to produce.

Unit costs for designer scents are even lower. I have it on good authority that a new, in box 3.4 oz bottle of say Azzaro Pour Homme costs $3.00 to produce, that's including the packaging. Yes $3.00.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 8th April 2008 at 06:18 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Basenotes Plus

I think many of you guys are missing the point. Is it possible to get a legitimate bottle of Bond for a low price? Yes! Is it also possible that there are fake Bonds out there? Yes!!! And it is certainly the hot newer high end products which are the most likely to be faked by the Chinese, who are flooding the US and other markets with bogus everything from dogfood to toys to perfumes. It is better to buy from Scentiments, Imagination Perfumery and Big Discount, reliable discounters.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Is it also possible that there are fake Bonds out there? Yes!!! And it is certainly the hot newer high end products which are the most likely to be faked by the Chinese, who are flooding the US and other markets with bogus everything from dogfood to toys to perfumes.
    I will have to disagree with you. Name one post, one thread, one website that claims that the Bonds on eBay have been counterfeited. You won't find it. Bonds are infinitely safer to buy than Creeds. Period. eBay sellers can afford to sell them at a discount because Bonds are ridiculously overpriced and many do not sell, so distributors have to get rid of the bottles somehow!

And quit hating on the Chinese lol, if it weren't for China, our American economy would instantly collapse. That's why the US Government has to be buddy-buddy with China, they would love to mark China as the enemy because of its rising status as the world's #2 Power (still distant 2nd to the US, obviously), but they know they cannot afford to. China and Walmart keep this country running, as unfortunate as that might be.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

If someone ever found a fake Bond No. 9, Basenoters will probably be the first to know.

Anyway, Creeds have a bigger market and their bottles are far easier to counterfeit than Bond's, so I don't see why forgers would bother.

Quote Originally Posted by scent_addict_2002 View Post
    I think the best bet is Lisa at beautycafe. She gives a 10% discount to basenoters. Better than full price.
    How do you get this discount? Is there a coupon code or something?

All this talk about supply and chain and whatnot... all this actually means to me is that I (a lowly college student) can purchase bottles of expensive cologne for cheaper. If I had to buy all my Creeds at NM, I would be able to afford a grand total of 1 right now as opposed to the 8 that I have in my collection. I'm planning on moving on to a few Bonds after this! Hell, I wish Frederick Malle or L'Artisan would adopt this strategy or lose control of their supply or what have you. Then again, maybe being "niche" is more important to them than making that little side money.
    Last edited by akshay03; 9th April 2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I bought Bond No 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory for $149 +$9.99 shipping on eBay from BonBudgetsales68. It's the same as the Silver Factory sample bon bon that was given to me at Saks and the same as what I sprayed on from the store tester. Retail it's $230 + tax

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    How do you get this discount? Is there a coupon code or something?
    BeautyCafe no longer offers the 10% off of the Bond no. 9 line because of some other retailers...

But at http://www.bondno9.com/ I believe the code "MUA" still works for 15% off...

Yes, these prices are legitimate. I bought a 100mL bottle of Hamptons for $119 + shipping, and it is genuine as can be. The woman at Sak's gave me a few bon-bons of it, and I sprayed the atomized bon-bon on left, and the eBay Bond on right, and they were identical in all facets.