Code of Conduct

Default Procter and Gamble KILLING off Rochas

I suppose this is equally about fragrance as it is fashion as it is corporatization but I'll post it here mostly because I'm anxious about the next Rochas fragrance. I love Lui, Massacar, and Moustache. Aquaman makes me very sad however. P&G has swallowed up my favorite perfumes (Yohji, Elements Aqua, Patou Prive, etc.) and done as it likes to suit its own interests. I actually liked Rochas fashion as well as their perfumes and am a bit dissapointed by this news. Oh and hi old members who may remember me! how is life? Ohhhhhh Paul GREAT SERIES HUH? Gotta love Abreu and the insane 'Boss' with pockets deeper than a whores umm yeah.

Cheers,
    the notorious A - L - I

Procter and Gamble to shut down Rochas fashion house

PARIS (AFP) - US consumer goods giant Procter and Gamble are to shut the French fashion house Rochas which had won acclaim internationally thanks to Belgian designer Olivier Theyskens, officials said.

Rochas' ready-to-wear and accessories lines will cease from the end of October as "this activity does not belong to our core business," said a statement from the company Parfums Rochas.

According to Women's Wear Daily which broke the story late Tuesday, about 30 employees at Rochas will be affected by the decision and the company is preparing a closure plan.

"P and G do not own any other fashion house and can therefore not offer the conditions for the satisfactory development" of the company, the statement said, adding it may study different solutions in the future.

P and G took over Rochas and its perfume arm Parfums Rochas in 2003 when it bought the German cosmetics company, the Wella Group.

The perfume manufacturers are not concerned by the decision, nor are any ready-to-wear operations carried out under licence.

The young Theyskens was appointed artistic director at Rochas in 2003 when he was just 26 and quickly won praise for his creations, especially his sumptuous evening gowns, for the fashion house set up in 1925 by Marcel Rochas.

It is understood Theyskens' contract had just come to an end with Rochas, after he designed four luxury collections a year, or about 15,000 items, sold through 60 outlets mainly in Paris, London, New York and Tokyo.

Default Re: Procter and Gamble KILLING off Rochas

I know and it's sad. The cover of New York Times Sunday Magazine is Olivier Theyskens, the house designer. An entire story/article inside as well. P & G acquired Rochas by accident, from what I understand. I guess it's two opposite worlds.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

First 4711 and now Rochas? P&G is evil...why not take over Liz Claiborne and close that instead ??
    -

Hi Al,
    Good to hear from you again.

Hmmm - no more Eau de Rochas - that would be extremely sad. But it wouldn't make sense - I saw that stuff prominently displayed in just about every store I walked into in France and Italy last year. Usually that is an indication of its selling well.

I think more people share your thoughts on Aquaman than don't. I was in two minds at first, but after it went on sale very cheap, I took a liking to it - very surprising how many positive comments I've had with it.
    Renato

According to the directory:

Parent company of Rochas: Procter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics > Rochas
    (edit/supplement: Rochas Beauty, as p. German financial reports, or the fragrance rights as Grant comments, further down).
    Parent company of Gucci: Procter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics > Rochas.
    Parent company of Yves Saint Laurent: Gucci Group > YSL Beaute.
    Parent company of Muelhens: Procter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics > Muelhens (4711).

Find out who else is owned by Procter & Gamble you can start predictig the future. This may be great for P&G shareholders, but perhaps less fortunate for customers and employees! Maybe niche companies are not so bad, after all!
    Last edited by narcus; 10th August 2006 at 09:14 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    According to the directory:

Parent company of Rochas: Procter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics > Rochas.
    Parent company of Gucci: Procter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics > Rochas.
    Parent company of Yves Saint Laurent: Gucci Group > YSL Beaute.
    Parent company of Muelhens: Procter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics > Muelhens (4711).

Find out who else is owned by Procter & Gamble you can start predictig the future. This may be great for P&G shareholders, but perhaps less fortunate for customers and employees! Maybe niche companies are not so bad, after all!
    Good lord, P&G owns Gucci and YSL too ?? Help !!!
    -

I think there's a little misunderstanding here. P&G is NOT going to shutdown Rochas fragrances. The Rochas FASHION house is going to shut down, but P&G continues to bring out their fragrances.
    At least, that's what the Moodyreport says:

"The Rochas fashion house – acquired by Procter & Gamble (P&G) in 2003 as part of the Wella deal – is to be closed, according to a report in Women’s Wear Daily (WWD). But the company will continue to produce fragrances under the Rochas brand, the publication understands.

Rochas fashion, under the leadership of designer Olivier Theyskens (pictured), has garnered much critical acclaim in recent years. “Theyskens is modernising the roots of the brand, and the link to fashion gives the fragrance business more validity,” a company spokesman told The Moodie Report back in 2003 (The Moodie Report.com, 17 December 2003).

However, despite an estimated growth of around +30% for Rochas ready-to-wear last year, WWD said the overall financial performance of the fashion house was understood to be loss-making. "

So, the Rochas FRAGRANCE buisiness won't be discontinued by P&G ( I hope)
    Last edited by eric; 10th August 2006 at 08:40 AM.

No P&G do not own Gucci, just the rights to the fragrances.

Here's the story.

1983: Muelhens (4711) acquire Scannon from Mennen. Scannon happen to hold the licence for Gucci fragrances.

1987: Wella acquire Rochas

1994: Wella acquire Muelhens (including Gucci etc..)

1997: Wella combines its fragrance brands into one group: Cosmopolutan Cosmetics.

1993: P&G Acquire Wella along with the licenses for Rochas, Gucci, Muelhens.

--------------------------

A second chain of events

Sometime in the seventies: Someone in the Gucci family decides to sell the licence to the Gucci fragrances to Mennen's Scannon division

1987: YSL buys the rights of his fragrances back from Charles of the Ritz

1993: YSL sells rights to Sanofi Beaute.

2000: Gucci's parent company P.P.R buy Sanifo Beaute from Elf Aquitane and combine it with their Gucci business, renaming it YSL Beaute.

------------------

So while Gucci has the rights to fragrances from YSL, Fendi, Alexander McQueen etc... it doesn't have the right to its own.

Gucci have tried for the last 20 years to get its fragrances back , but the contract with Scannon/Muelhens/Wella was very tightly worded, and difficult to break.

However, it seems that Gucci have renewed with P&G - so they obviously think it is worth their while

http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/news/...uty-fragrances

googling a bit more on this:
    FINANCIAL analysts comment positively, P&G shares on the rise, mainly of course since the giants' merger: Gilette-P&G, an earthquake on the cosmetics consumer maket! In relation, the strangling of 4711 and (possibly) Rochas Beauty would be the death of flies. Corporate Cannibalism - nothing friendlier! Since the time that Wella was sold to P&G, all advertising for 4711 has been stopped and no sales figures were published. - Eau de mort!
    Last edited by narcus; 10th August 2006 at 08:55 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Well, Sephora had most of the Rochas Man line on sale. And they never have sales!

No way. Time to take a long walk on a short plank.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I wonder why they could not sell 4711 to another company that wants to market it. One advantage of older products (despite lower sales) is older customers tend to have more product loyalty and don't require high advertising dollars to maintain.

I really like a bunch f Rochas scents, and i only hope they do not change their notes...these houses that go under "restructuring" tend to change their perfume divisions anyways and change notes only to make a bigger buck, they just don't go public with this type os info because -gasp- it may slow down sales. *cough-ninaricci-cough*lanvin*-cough
    notice how adamant they were in "clearing" that the parfums rochas will not be changed...

anyways, i went shopping to get some rochas clothing before it all ceases: got jackets, suits, and what-nots... they did have some good stuff.
    Am i confused or the male line is under license and will not be affected?

The women's line was at its best lately and i guess it was too forward for some buyers or too expensive to make for the producers.

Why a lot of the rochas scents don't get more lines here?
    I love and have about 7 rochas scents...(moustache, aquaman, PH, macassar, monsieur,etc)

Well, I'll be damned! its ALI! What has been going on, man? Long time. Glad to see you back on here.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

hey Ben! Glad some old basenoters are still around! I'll PM you later buddy.

As for the whole P&G/Rochas thing, well the whole thing is just Poupee!

Cheers,
    Ali