Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for classic citrus?

Howdy, haven't posted in a while.

So, with the hot weather, I've been gravitating towards "brighter" frags, and mainly going with fougeres like Live Jazz, Jazz, Azzaro PH...

Today I'm wearing Boucheron, felt the need for something brighter and citrusy. I love Boucheron...it's rich and complex, and yet definitely citrus. But I'd like some recommendations for other citrus frags that have some lasting power, and that are complex and not one-dimensional, but maybe less formal than Boucheron?

Any ideas?

Eau Sauvage is great--though it doesn't last. And I liked Guittal (Sp?) Fleur d'Hadrien, though it didn't last long either, or rather, the citrus note died quickly and left me with lots of cedar.

Suggestions?

Default Re: Recommendations for classic citrus?

Eau de Rochas and Eau de Rochas Homme. Their hesperide notes last throughout the drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by conehead
    And I liked Guittal (Sp?) Fleur d'Hadrien, though it didn't last long either, or rather, the citrus note died quickly and left me with lots of cedar.
    Suggestions?
    Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien That's what I was going to recommend you, but I see you found it too short lasting. Unfortunately, that's kind of the nature of citrus and therefore a lot of them don't last too long... Did you ever try Hadrien's EDP version, though? It's called Hadrien Absolu. Scentemental wrote a nice review on it, can be found in the directory.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Neroli Sauvage by Creed.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien That's what I was going to recommend you, but I see you found it too short lasting. Unfortunately, that's kind of the nature of citrus and therefore a lot of them don't last too long... Did you ever try Hadrien's EDP version, though? It's called Hadrien Absolu. Scentemental wrote a nice review on it, can be found in the directory.
    You should also try GFT by Geo F Trumper which is in a similar vein, it lasts too...

http://www.trumpers.com/gft_cologne.cfm

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120006.html

Hermes - Eau d'Orange Verte is great, but also has the same problem of the citrus note not lasting.

Acqua di Parma - Acqua di Parma is worth checking out. On me it the citrus last quite a while.

Mugler cologne last a long time on my skin.

Monsieur De Givenchy is supposed to be a good scent.

YSL PH is also supposed to be a good scent.

YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentrate lasts all day and I absolutely love it. Citrus drying down to dirty herbs.

Also consider: Eau de Guerlain. Acqua di Parma - Colonia lasts on me but not on too many others on the board. :/
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Neroli Sauvage by Creed.
    I second the NS as well as GFT. I'm not sure if NS is "bright", but it rocks in its own way. The GFT might be on the simple side, but I wouldn't quite say one dimensional. Trumper's will mail free samples, so you should definitely check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!
    I've got some checking to do....will get back to you with my opinions about these.
    There's a store that sells Trumpers just around the corner, I think....

gft is good, (it surprised me with its uncluttered lemon which lasts well) as is neroli sauvage, but I wouldn't consider n.s. a classic citrus. the creeds that fit this are citrus bigarade which is very good and lasts surprising well for me, bois de cedrat (a classic accord of lemon and wood), zest mandarin pamplemouse (which I like but it really doesn't last for me) and ...um...more I may have forgotten.

I tested citron citron by miller harris the other day and was very impressed. it has a really good lemon and a light mint note. I sprayed once and it lasted about an hour and a half in the heat.

Also I like capucci pour homme which lasts well, is very clean but perhaps is not as natural smelling as others mentioned above. I love acqua di parma but again not really a classic citrus to me.

overall i would recommend gft, any of the creeds or citron citron.

edit - trumper limes is very very LIMEY. very briefly. the drydown is fantastic too but very faint with zero silage.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 10th August 2006 at 06:23 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Worth a mention:

Arancia by Acqua di Parma (Blu Mediterraneo range).

Jo Malone Grapefruit is superb. Not very complex though.

Oh and Eau de Sud by Goutal; Fleurs de Citronnier and Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens.

I wonder if my most beloved TDH could classify as a classic citrus? The grapefruit in it is certainly very prominent....
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder

edit - trumper limes is very very LIMEY. very briefly. the drydown is fantastic too but very faint with zero silage.
    It's one of the most short-lived of all, up there with Malle Cologne Bigarade and Hermès Eau D'Orange Verte etc. Even 4711 lasts longer than the Trumper limes. But it certainly smells quite good for the brief time span it occupies.

Wardrobe / Reviews

Forgot about Moustache
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

If you are fine with Sauvage, then maybe you should try Homme de Gres.
    It's pretty much in the same category.
    Funny no one mentioned Signoricci or Armani PH, although they both have a problem with longevity.
    So much for the classics. Otherwise, I'd go for one of the Creed breed.

You guys left out Monsieur de Givenchy

try Monsieur Balmain, more lemonny than most, a longlasting citrus that's very simple and very fresh.

if you liked boucheronPH (edt i assume) then try from the same house boucheronPH eau de cologne 2004 or the 2005 version they are a tad different from the original and lighter yet very fresh and better lasting if you spray more of it.

also, try herme's Concentrée de Orange Verte.

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Neroli Sauvage by Creed.
    Sorry, neither this nor Zeste Mandarine last more than 20 minutes.

I would rather recommend Creeds' Millesime Imperial and Original Vetiver, Carons Eau Forte, Gendarme, and Grabazzi.
    -

Try the original Zegna.

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    It's citrus and rose in a fantastic blend.

Hadrien Absolu is very nice and had good longevity because it's an EdP. Creed Citrus Bigarrade is also very nice but probably not worth the expense.

I don't think of MI as a classic citrus and TDH is *certainly* not a classic citrus.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this one, but Extra Vielle comes to mind immediately. Great scent!

I know most people hate but, Drakkar Noir is a perfect citrus scent.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH