Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thoughts on these choices

Ok, I have tried to narrow down these colognes as possibilities. It is hard to wrap your brain around how a written description will actually smell. Most of these colognes are some spice and some woody, so I want something that is not like Creed MI or MPG Eau des Iles. If you can elaborate on how appropriate they are in situations great. I am looking for a cologne that lasts, that is not close to the skin, not earthy or too powdery, and appropriate for office wear, early dinners (I do not go clubbing) or church. I am 46 if that helps

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Nicolai's New York
    Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Tea for Two by L'Artisan
    Mure Et Musc and Extreme by Lartisan Perfumer
    Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
    Arabie by Lutens
    Ambre Sultan by Lutens

Sam

Edited 8-4-06 to take out Lutens MKK
    Last edited by finsfan; 4th August 2006 at 07:52 PM.

Default Re: Thoughts on these choices

People say Tea for Two doesn't last but it goes forever on my skin. I really like that one and would say it is most appropriate for romantic evenings or dinners. It is a casual scent at the same time so it is really fine for everything.

Fumerie Turque is really smokey and ambery. Masculine side of Chergui. I would get this one over all of the other Lutens stuff. It is more for cooler weather. I think this one will project lovely. It is strong. I think this might be your best bet. It seems versatile enough. I wear it from my decant all the time and people seem to like it.

Good luck on your hunt.

I've sampled half the stuff on your list. Here are my thoughts

Tea for Two: One of the most wearable scents ever. Just so nice. Agreeable yet distinguishable. Definitely a good choice.

Chergui: Honey is heaven for me. So chergui was a treat. You smell rich, sweet and edible. Strong perfumery scent may not work well with others, but you'll love the way you smell.

Arabie: A very solid smell. Dates, cinammon, nutmeg and fig will make you smell like a mediterranean treat. Like all of SL fragrances, it's lasting and strong.

Ambre Sultan: I sampled this about a year ago and can still remember exactly how it smells. Smoky and sweet. This is a memorable fragrance and again I wouldn't condemn you for going with it.

LV Musk: A blast out of the bottle that calms down to a warm basking smell. It's a creamy musk smell that's strong yet satisfying.

So to conclude. I think you've picked a great list and can't go wrong with any of them.
    Last edited by steveharrisonmc; 4th August 2006 at 03:34 PM.

I know the first five (no, make that seven, I think someone updated the thread) and I must say that all are pretty far out when it comes to office-wear, except for maybe Tea for Two, New York and Mure et Mûsc Extreme. LV Musk might be suitable as well, since it calms down quite a bit.

It is a very fine selection anyway and all are mighty fine fragrances. Chergui being maybe the best one I've ever smelled. I rank it way too high for an office climate though. It all comes down to preference.

If I wear you, I'd try to get samples or decants from members on this board. There is no better way of trying fragrances inmo, unless you can find them in a store near by.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    If I wear you, ...
    Hehe... nice typo shifts.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    If I wear you, I'd try to get samples or decants from members on this board. There is no better way of trying fragrances inmo, unless you can find them in a store near by.
    Good idea. I posted a request for samples in the Want to Buy threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    Hehe... nice typo shifts.
    LOL, one I won't correct.

Shifts: It is what you said about office wear that is exactly what I was talking about. I am an attorney and so I do like a cologne that projects more, since I do not have office staff milling about or work in a group setting. I also like the scent to be present say after lunch (the Creeds are good about that in summer and the Eau des Iles is great for longevity and projection year round).

Seeing these descriptions is one thing, but people's wearing it and reporting it on their skin is a different animal. Like the Malle and Lutens musk, they are said to be sexual, sensual and animalistic. Wow, how do I understand that and how it will smell?

Sam

With those circumstances I would also recommend tea for two. Getting a sample shouldn't be that hard. I got some free by requesting them from the Soho botique in NY. They mailed them to me w/in 3 days. Request tea for two. It's suitable for an office and it smells very relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    Shifts: It is what you said about office wear that is exactly what I was talking about. I am an attorney and so I do like a cologne that projects more, since I do not have office staff milling about or work in a group setting. I also like the scent to be present say after lunch (the Creeds are good about that in summer and the Eau des Iles is great for longevity and projection year round).

Seeing these descriptions is one thing, but people's wearing it and reporting it on their skin is a different animal. Like the Malle and Lutens musk, they are said to be sexual, sensual and animalistic. Wow, how do I understand that and how it will smell?

Sam
    Alright, if you don't have to worry about going safe then I think you REALLY should try to seek out as many as you can of the ones you listed. The ones I listed first were the safe ones inmo, if that didn't come across clear enough.

Two fragrances to add to that already awesome list, might be Santa Maria Novella - Nostalgia and Helmut Lang - Cuiron (price don't seem to be the problem at hand here, but if you feel you have $20 to spare just for fun, you can get this one).

About the sexy note... I don't think there is a way of understanding it prior to smelling it actually. Such a boring answer, but close to the truth.

Generally speaking I believe Lutens would only work in an attorney's office in the Middle East, where there are different norms when it comes to fragance. In a conventional western board room I would consider something like ambre sultan or Arabie risqué. They spell big time oriental(ist) fantasy. If you want that touch of oriental sexiness blended with British class, why not go for Creed's Royal English Leather? Bois du Portugal also comes to mind from your description. Much cheaper, if you can get it, but no less classier to my mind, though a whole different ball game: Bogart - classic, lasting, exuding masculine sophistication as well as herbal freshness. Little worn these days, so it does set you off from the crowd, despite the lack of any avantgarde pretensions. It makes me feel suave and in command. A current favorite of mine, as one can easily tell by my enthusiasm for it .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

REL on me had a bubblegum-sort of smell, like the bubblegum that used to come when you bought a pack of baseball cards.

Sam

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi- This is to me essentially a rose scent. It is beautiful, but there is one weird note in it that I can't put my finger on that bothers me. If it affects your decision, to someone who is conservative genderwise this could come across as feminine though I think that most BNoters would agree that it is perfectly unisex.

Nicolai's New York- This one is far and away the closest thing to what you're looking for. I don't think that it's the best scent on your list, but it is definately quality stuff. It is to be honest the only scent here that I could see working well in an office setting. It has pretty good though not amazing lasting power and projection. Extremely classy.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle- Definately NOT for the office, that's all I'm gonna say.

Chergui by Serge Lutens- Beautiful sweetness exudes from your body when you wear this. I will say this about all of the Lutens scents you are considering (except FT which I haven't smelled): ridiculous lasting power and sillage. Some people find this scent to be feminine, but I love it. Hard to find these days though.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan- I'm surprised people dub this is being keep saying this is a safe choice. I think that the drydown is one of the best there is, but I really dislike the top and middle notes. The smokiness is just too much (one time I could've sworn this chick was wearing TfT until I realized the smell was the combination of her cheap perfume and a cig) and there is a weird saliva note somewhere in there. Once the smoke dies down though you are left with with one of the sexiest scents in existance. It lasts forever and projects moderately well. Once again, a suspect choice for the office.
    Mure Et Musc and Extreme by Lartisan Perfumer- I have only smelled the regular Mure et Musc (not extreme) and I didn't like it much.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens- I'm dying to smell this...

Arabie by Lutens- At first I mistook it for Indian curry, but as soon as I got past that association I fell in love with this one. I could see it being perfect for cuddling in cold weather or something, but I dunno about wearing it around the office.

Ambre Sultan by Lutens- For some reason, out of the Lutens you mentioned this one comes off as being able to work the best for what you're looking for. That doesn't mean much though, because none of them are very office appropriate. This scent has tons of ambery sweetness which is balanced nicely by something that is dry and somewhat medicinal. I hated the medicinal part at first (see my directory review, which I need to update btw) but now I love it. Again, amazing projection/lasting power. Why not order samples of these off a site like Aedes?? That would be really easy and would only cost about $15. I'm pretty sure that they would have every one except for maybe Musc Ravageur. Anywaysw, your choices are great scents but are mostly the opposite of what I would think of wearing to the office.

Giraffe (and others): What scents would you recommend that meet the following criteria:

1. Not another Creed, though I would get Bois du Portugal
    2. Not a powdery or powdery sweet/barbershop scent like Trumpers Spanish Leather
    3. Not earthy (Voluer de Roses) or Vetiver
    4. Not soapy
    5. Not aquatic (Acqua di Gio)
    6. Smokey is ok, but I want something that is not going to be similar to Eau Des Iles
    7. Moderate projection vs. close to skin and longevity
    8. Probably considered a niche
    9. Not vanilla or chocolate

Things I used to wear: Calvin Klein Obsession and Eternity, Polo Sport, Safari, Romance, Bijan, Lagerfeld, Piper Nigrum

Ok, so I've got lots of things you don't want, but what things DO you want? I you named 5 or so things that you would really like to see in the scent, that would be helpful.

What I like, wow, you are right, I usually attack it from the other angle. I liked the creamy base of Piper Nigrum, and it is somewhat present in Eau Des Iles. I like English lavendar (I have some linen spray to spray my pillow). Sandalwood can be sweet at times. I like spicy. Obsession has a note that mellows nicely. I want something wearable, and I do like it when the ladies like my GIT. Does this help?

Sam

I am 46 if that helps
    I'm also 46 and alas it doesn't help, I'm getting old (yea, of course you aren't)
    LV Musk is really nice, but not now at this mind-boggling heat. A typical autumn-winter scent. Can be too much in an office, be careful.
    Mure et Musc a nice scent, to me too feminine, I wouldn't wear.
    Tea for two is a very nice sweet scent in itself- not for human wear, though others think otherwise. Instead I would recmmend Dzing! The first impression might be frightening, but it dries down to an extremely loveable, masculin effect.
    You may read about this interesting phenomenon at the reviews.
    Of all the Villoresi and L'Artisan line now I find this one by far the best.

Sandy: I know colognes are something you have to try. I remember getting a tester of Tea for Two, Dzing, Mechant Loup, and Navagateur, and I liked Navagateur the best. But that was like 3 years ago, lol.

I keep reading that the Lutens are like Villoresi, that you have to just experience one. I did like Piper and then, when whittling down to a few, I was on my third bottle of juice and sold it so I could have funds to have backups of the three I know have (the GIT, MI and Eau des Iles). I wore the EdI today just to change up, and in the heat, it can be cloyingly sweet. Floris 89, I have to be careful of florals (Voluer de Roses gave me such a headache). I have never been able to understand the raw power of Vetiver, but Malle Vetiver was more wearable to me than Guerlains. I kinda liked LeMale but it was too vanilla. So when people say that the scent is more of a cold weather scent, I understand that. I used to divide mine into summer or winter - Obsession being winter, and Eternity being summer.

So, what is your 46 year old man's wardrobe.

Did get to try 3 creeds today, to mixed review of the wife and daughter.

REL: bubblegummy, least fav of all of us
    Original Vetiver: A wearable vetiver, for me, but soapy
    Citrus Bigaradde (sic): I liked it, daughter did, wife said smells like old rich woman.

Got a sample of the new original santal

Sam

Why not get Bvlgari Black? I think it would be a great scent for office wear during the colder months.

But if you insist on getting what you have from your list, the only two I've tried were Tea For Two and Musc Ravageur.

Tea For Two - I love this scent and it is one of my favorites. I like the whole incredibly smoky thing and all that. The drydown would be good for what you're looking for.

Musc Ravageur - I don't think this is what you're looking for. However, Malle will send out samples of three of their fragrances in 5ml bottles. So you can get a lot of testings out of it to see if you would like it. And even if it's not what youre looking for, its still a great scent and hey, free 5 ml sample .

Tea for Two, Chergui, Ambre Sultan, and New York seem to be about the choices it will come down to. I wore Tea for Two once when I got some Lartisan samples but I chose Navagatuer out of the bunch. For some reason, I have just been relatively unimpressed by the Macy's - Dillard's offerings and my wife has to. We have one store that carries Creed and used to carry SMN and Miller Harris. I get compliments on the creeds, so who knows. I kinda like having stuff no one in Memphis wears. Thus the demon in my brain that goes "you gotta get Malle, or Lutens, of Lartisan"

Sam

Sam, It looks like you are also trying to get something different and unique. Let me give you the notes of Jean Pascal cologne, reading your comments on this thread, I feel you will like this. If the notes interest you PM me.

Here are the notes for Jean Pascal Cologne from his web site:

This fragrance begins with a delicate mixture of bergamot, pineapple and herbal essences. In the body of the fragrance we find lavender essences that are softly mixed with jasmine. Musk, wood, amber and moss essences bring coolness, giving this fragrance an extraordinary richness and personality.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Hi all,

Hey hey Sam! OK my friend, I too am over 40 years old. In fact, I am now (dear God) over fifty (fifty one years old as of this past July 14) although...although...lol...I have been OFTEN told that I do NOT look my age looking closer to forty years old! I am keeping myself in good shape (I recently lost about 20 lbs. in the last eight weeks) by eatting a better diet and going to the gym a couple of times a week. I am 6' 3" tall and presently weight 230 lbs. (target weight UNDER 225 lbs.) and...lol...I have ALL my hair lol. I mention the above because...I am PROUD! I am (now more than ever) taking great pride in my HEALTH and APPEARENCE and...part of my appearence is smelling GREAT! I would like to think that I have developed OUTSTANDING taste in fragrances (thanks to years here at BN and it's wonderful/helpful members). OK, most here know that I have rather UNIQUE taste in fragrances. That being said (now, this is just me talking)
    if I had the extra money, I would without a doubt buy a bottle of (perhaps one of THE best fragrances I have sampled in years) MONTALE "OUD CUIR D'ARABIE". MONTALE "OUD CUIR D'ARABIE" is THE fragrance for the CONFIDENT GENTLEMAN (IMHO). I truly believe however that one must project a certain confindence to wear OUD CUIR D'ARABIE. This may sound strange but, I think my physical size is sometimes an asset when wearing certain fragrances. Oooh, OUD CUIR D'ARABIE seems to have a bit of that ANIMALISTIC note happening for it (like SERGE LUTENS MUSCS KOUBLAI KHAN) but perhaps to a lesser (but lovely) degree . OUD CUIR D'ARABIE is powerful but not too overpowering, long lasting, with a OUD type of sweetness (but NOT sweet per se). I find OUD CUIR D'ARABIE totally unique and perhaps one of the few fragrances I would use the word MASTERPIECE! I WILL own a bottle someday (hopefully before THIS Winter)! Sam, find yourself a sampel of this MONTALE and let me know what you think!
    SixCats! has spoken!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Tom, I am glad to hear you are doing well. Last time we spoke, what two years ago or so, you were getting a house? I hope the health is better, sounds like it is.

I knew at one time you liked the Madini Oils. You used to like MI like me, and you shredded colognes. I always liked reading your description of scents. I dont know that I could bring off a scent like that Montale, never having heard of it. The animalistic note, said to be strong and like an unshowered man after physical exersize, of the Lutens Musk Kublai Khan kinda scares me. I love the Obsession scent, an oriental if I remember, how creamy it gets to the basenotes, and some sort of light wood and spice going on. The MI and GIT are good for summer wear and can work year round if needbe, but about November, when it is routinely near 50, I sorta tune GIT out and then hit the Eau des Iles hard. I used to have Piper Nigrum but it sorta stopped challenging me. Stupidly I sold the bottle, when what I needed to do is lay off a year and resume it. Now that it is gone, I am freed up for something else. Chergui sounds good but sweet, if it is like Le Male, wont cut it. I used to love Kourous but wifey, well her nose can not take it anymore. I wish you had your wardrobe up.

sam

Here are some thoughts:
    Chergui is not sweet in the vain of LeMale. LeMale is all about artificial vanillic sweetness, whereas Chergui is soft, beautiful honey sweetness. The more I read into what you are saying it sounds like you want a knockout oriental. You like Obsession, and I think we can easily one-up that one. I am going to do something bold (and somewhat stupid) and recommend three scents to you that I've never even smelled: Fumerie Turque (which you already mentioned), Chanel Egoiste, and Opium PH EDP. Just from what you've been saying and what I've read on these scents, they seem to fit with what you're looking for. Really, though, just sample these scents yourself! It's not hard! E-mail Malle for some free samples, and cover the rest via a sample program from one of the many fine websites that offer one. You may (and seem to) have a very different idea about what is good for office wear, so don't let me or anybody else tell you what will work for you.

SixCats, I must commend you for your bravery. That particular Montale scent scared the crap out of me! If I had to connect it to some image it would be a mob of Hell's Angels members coming to kill me. Very frightening stuff.

So many have said so much that I'll just briefly add my recommendations. Given that you don't have to worry about the office situation, any of these should work. Church might be tough with some.

New York might be a good choice. I find it too strong, but if you like Eau des Iles and Bois du Portugal, you'll like New York, call me crazy, but it seems kind of like a like a cross of the two to me. More BdP in character than EdI, but with the sillage and complexity of EdI.

Maisonstinky's suggestion of Jean Pascal is great as well. This should work well for you, based on what you have said you like.

Villoresi's Musk is sublime. I don't find it too strong or too feminine. There is rose though.

Of the Lutens, I'd say Fumerie Turque and then Ambre Sultan. I love Lutens. They are always complex, always develop a lot, and last forever. Those are two of the better ones from the house. FT is on another level. I also love Cuir Mauresque. If you're into leather, it's very much worth a try. Also, since you like lavender, you may want to try Gris Clair or Encens et Lavande. The first is thicker and sweeter, the second drier and almost "ethereal," as some have termed it. Arabie was too sweet and fruity for my tastes - like a fruit cake or something. A dessert of dried fruit and spices. EDIT: Oh yeah, Chergui. Very complex, honey and hay seem to be most prominent. Also something a little "nutty." It's a little too sweet for me, and with the hay, a little too much.

Check out Laura Tonatto's stuff too - it gets overlooked all the time. Albi and Re would be good places for you to start. Albi is lavender, pepper, semi-green and somewhat sweet. Re is very manly ala MPG's Parfum d'Habit.

Montale's Cuir d'Arabie is a very heavy, very dark leather. Fougeres Marine would be another good one from them - good for the office, church, whatever. A darker marine scent. Mossy. See Maisonstinky for these as well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by robyogi; 5th August 2006 at 02:42 AM.

Rob, thank you for the suggestions. Im not much into leather, never really have been. I say that, but some scents I had liked in the past could have contained leather, but none in the last decade or so. That Arabie, fruit cake, does not sound like it might work.

Chergui - any thoughts on that? I get a lot of positives on that from what I have read. I have heard that FT is like that.

LV Musk and New York might be safe. The LV Musk did not blow me away when I had a sample 3 years ago or so, as it ranked behind Yerbamate and Piper and maybe even Dilmun at the time. The Dilmun just got a bit too sweet on the floral.

Ill have to read up on the Tonatto, never having heard of it. I wonder if they last long or not. Like Sixcats, good colognes go to die on me. I think I have skin that is not really dry (not that I need moisturizer) but I do not sweat as much as some guys do in normal weather. I do not know if that helps or not. On the Lavendars, I also need to read up on that. I know that the bed linen water is very nice, but as a cologne, I dont know.

Sam

Giraffe: Egoiste, i tried the Platinum night before last and it was not to my liking or wife's. Funny you mentioned Opium. Years ago, when it came out, I HAD to buy that for my wife and loved it at the time. FT/Chegui, I keep reading that everyone sorta likes it (worst review) to it may be ok for all but church but yummy at dinner (FT) to you gotta get this (chegui). And just about every review says you have to get this.

I did send a note to Malle to try some of that. Also to Lartisan for the Tea for Two. Also Hermes is sending me a sample of the terre d'hermes. But most of these Lutens fragrances I could not find at like Aedes. I did put a want to buy samples up on the Want to Buy forum.

Sam

Egoiste Platinum is completely different than Egoiste. While the former is a fougere (sp.) type fragrance, Egoiste is a wonderful, amazing oriental.

Maybe that is what my wife and daughter meant to have me sample. To Macy's for Egoiste. Then Sunday morning to Church, Original Santal

Sam

Rob, thank you for the suggestions. Im not much into leather, never really have been. I say that, but some scents I had liked in the past could have contained leather, but none in the last decade or so. That Arabie, fruit cake, does not sound like it might work.

Chergui - any thoughts on that? I get a lot of positives on that from what I have read. I have heard that FT is like that.

LV Musk and New York might be safe. The LV Musk did not blow me away when I had a sample 3 years ago or so, as it ranked behind Yerbamate and Piper and maybe even Dilmun at the time. The Dilmun just got a bit too sweet on the floral.

Ill have to read up on the Tonatto, never having heard of it. I wonder if they last long or not. Like Sixcats, good colognes go to die on me. I think I have skin that is not really dry (not that I need moisturizer) but I do not sweat as much as some guys do in normal weather. I do not know if that helps or not. On the Lavendars, I also need to read up on that. I know that the bed linen water is very nice, but as a cologne, I dont know.

Sam
    My pleasure. I edited my original post to speak to Chergui. Honey and hay. A little too sweet and too much for me. Very complex and interesting though.

Tonatto's Re lasts incredibly long on me. At least all day. I have no longevity issues like Sixcats though. Still, even compared to other scents, it lasts forever. Reminded me of Parfum d'Habit or George Sand. If you're near a Barney's they carry Tonatto's line. If not, you can find samples on ebay (PM if you want a good source for samples). Luscious Cargo also carries her line. Iss is next on my list to try from her house.

I really liked Villoresi's Musk. My sample ran out a while ago, and my bottle is now on its way, so I can't give you a run-down on it right now! It's not for everyone for sure, and from the sounds of it, we may have very different tastes! Out of all the ones on your list, T42 and Musk were the two I could see someone wearing to church.

If you don't mind searching out discontinued scents, you could try Davidoff Relax, Balenciaga Pour Homme, and Guess Men. The Basenotes reviews cover those pretty well. Those three are all manly, with strong sillage, great lasting power, and are complex & unique.

Another I'd recommend to anyone is Divine's L'Homme Sage. Incense, fruits, spices, a mossy thing going on, very well blended. The term "modern classic" comes to mind. I don't know how you feel about incense, but if you like it, try Amouage's Dia for a very good daytime incense scent.

Maybe that is what my wife and daughter meant to have me sample. To Macy's for Egoiste. Then Sunday morning to Church, Original Santal

Sam
    Try one of those Perfume outlets in the mall or Bloomingdale's for Egoiste. Macy*s doesn't carry it. It's somewhat exclusive, but becoming slightly more attainable.

Well, Memphis has no real cologne house. We have some that carry a few more of the women's specialty colognes and perfumes but heck, we have one store that carries Kiehls and that is it. One store that only recently started to carry Anthony Logistics. Our most fashion-forward stores have no real colognes (one carries Canali, the other carries the Royall line of products). We have one Brooks Brothers.

So no chance I can get to a Niemans or a Saks.

I got samples of the Amouage line of scents and either they were too "bright" or too metallic on me. Not a one appealed to me.

If Obsession and Lagerfeld and Romance and Bijan are orientals, then this is the type I have always come around to and need to stay in that vein I guess. The MI and GIT are not like that. Maybe Piper was, and maybe Eau des Iles is, but the Eau is the smokiest scent I have had, but it has a bit of sweetness to it that rounds it out. Just a bit too sweet for hot weather.

As always, people are so helpful here.

Sam

Three that I think may meet all your criteria are CdG Jaisalmer, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club (discontinued but still findable) and Etro Gomma. Of those three I'd pick Jaisalmer, which has everything you want and nothing you don't, and is a revelation to boot.

Giraffe (and others): What scents would you recommend that meet the following criteria:

2. Not a powdery or powdery sweet/barbershop scent like Trumpers Spanish Leather
    4. Not soapy
    6. Smokey is ok, but I want something that is not going to be similar to Eau Des Iles

Things I used to wear: Calvin Klein Obsession and Eternity, Polo Sport, Safari, Romance, Bijan, Lagerfeld, Piper Nigrum
    Give Loewe Solo a try. A really modern scent, which is none of the items above.

Sandy: I know colognes are something you have to try. I remember getting a tester of Tea for Two, Dzing, Mechant Loup, and Navagateur, and I liked Navagateur the best. But that was like 3 years ago, lol.

I keep reading that the Lutens are like Villoresi, that you have to just experience one. I did like Piper and then, when whittling down to a few, I was on my third bottle of juice and sold it so I could have funds to have backups of the three I know have (the GIT, MI and Eau des Iles). I wore the EdI today just to change up, and in the heat, it can be cloyingly sweet. Floris 89, I have to be careful of florals (Voluer de Roses gave me such a headache). I have never been able to understand the raw power of Vetiver, but Malle Vetiver was more wearable to me than Guerlains. I kinda liked LeMale but it was too vanilla. So when people say that the scent is more of a cold weather scent, I understand that. I used to divide mine into summer or winter - Obsession being winter, and Eternity being summer.

So, what is your 46 year old man's wardrobe.
    I'm rather an enjoyer than an owner/wearer It means that albeit I've tried several hundreds of scents that were available in Hungary, actually I've owned with an at least of 32ml bottle not more than -I guess- 50 different scents in my life. Of course the number of samples is well above 200. There are three main reasons for this limited wardrobe. Firstly, it took time for my poor communist country -Hungary- to have on the shelves good smells in great number. Second, the salaries still are much lower at us than those are at the happier half of the world. And third and most important: I actually don't want to own things in general. Love to admire them, love to be happy that there is ingenuity in the world which is able to create them, but know that we don't actually own anything, one day we will leave everything behind, so why pursue dreams? I know that it's a bit philosophical, but may help one when standing at say Douglas and fighting with the will to buy the latest Eau de YourSummerDream
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've intensively tried 12 L'Artisans and 4 Villoresis in the past 3 months. Navagateur unfortunately not, perhaps I will. A first they seemed too extravagant, except for Jour de Fete and LV Musk. Then gradually my mind changed, and it is Dzing! which I regard as the only masculine, extremely wearable scent from them. This is the first of the scents of the most loved/most hated bunch which I put in the must loved set This will be my next purchase. Somehow Piper Nigrum and Villoresi Uomo is too far from my liking. About 5 times tried and wsahed them off. Garofano has much worse result: after the secont time I gave up. Simply has a horrid element, enough of it.
    Finally, just some of the scents I've ever owned: Iquitos, CD Jules, Gres, Declaration, Dali Laguna, Loewe PH, Versace Dreamer, Baldessarini, Vetiver Carven, Yohji, Gaultier2.

Ok, I have tried to narrow down these colognes as possibilities. It is hard to wrap your brain around how a written description will actually smell. Most of these colognes are some spice and some woody, so I want something that is not like Creed MI or MPG Eau des Iles. If you can elaborate on how appropriate they are in situations great. I am looking for a cologne that lasts, that is not close to the skin, not earthy or too powdery, and appropriate for office wear, early dinners (I do not go clubbing) or church. I am 46 if that helps

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Nicolai's New York
    Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Tea for Two by L'Artisan
    Mure Et Musc and Extreme by Lartisan Perfumer
    Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
    Arabie by Lutens
    Ambre Sultan by Lutens

Sam

Edited 8-4-06 to take out Lutens MKK

The ones I have tried:

Musc Ravageur : Starts off very animalic, settles down to be VERY smooth vanilla/musk scent with shades of cinnamon. Very powdery!

Cherqui : Dense and thick. Very tea-like at first, settles down for a vanillic scent with noticiable accords of hay.

Tea for Two : Smooth and intoxicating. Very well made, although it smells a bit medicinal. It`s herbal and dark!

Mure et Musc Extreme : Very compelling. Fruity, fruity and fruity. Smells VERY much like Fructis hair-spray! Appealing but quite feminine.

Fumerie Turque : Thick, dense and syrapy. Very round and smooth; like a delicious stain of maple syrap on your skin. Slightly smoky.

Arabie : To my nose quite feminine. Spicy and musky. Like a concentrated version of Lagerfeld Jako. Not one of my Lutens favourites.

Ambre Sultan : Somehow very similar to Fumerie Turque. Thick and syrapy. Filled with sweet smoky amber...reminds me quite much of Black Cashmere (DK).

From what I can gather, New York is a safe bet, and then Ambre Sultan, FT, Cherqui and Tea for Two.

Sam

Ok, Tea for Two and New York.
    Of the Lutens, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque and Chergui seem to be a consensus.

Saw something on Noir Epices.

I did see Cedre, Douce Amore and Arabie on sale at perfume bay, and Arabie at times seems ok from its description.

Any opinions now on most wearable for now to say really cold weather, and office/dressy situations, church?

I think it might be one of these, and then the Montale line sounds so promising and Jean Pascal.

Sam
    Last edited by finsfan; 7th August 2006 at 03:25 AM.

Ok, Tea for Two and New York.
    Of the Lutens, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque and Chergui seem to be a consensus.

Saw something on Noir Epices.

I did see Cedre, Douce Amore and Arabie on sale at perfume bay, and Arabie at times seems ok from its description.

Any opinions now on most wearable for now to say really cold weather, and office/dressy situations, church?

I think it might be one of these, and then the Montale line sounds so promising and Jean Pascal.

Sam
    I found Cedre to be very sweet. Douce Amere is also a sweet (but pleasant) fragrance. I do like it, but it doesn't last long at all on me. I agree with the person who said that Arabie smells like a fruitcake. To me that's exactly what it smells like.

Definitely try the Montale line, and Jean Pascal, they're excellent fragrances imo. Sorry the Amouage recommendation didn't work out for you.

Musc Ravageur - really musky, cinnamon, vanilla, and VERY VERY strong, no way you could wear this to office or church, and I don't particularly like it

Chergui - also very strong and sweet, but as others have said, in a very natural way, really makes you want to eat yourself (and possibly has the same effect on others!). Love it! Again, not for office or church.

Tea for Two - I agree with one of the previous comments that this is simply to smoky. I don't want to smell like an ashtray. Does settle down to a nice drydown, but I couldn't do it.

Arabie - didn't really jump out at me.

Ambre Sultan - again, very strong, heavy, not as nice as Chergui

Of the above I'd buy Chergui for dinners, and buy something else for office and church (see below)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

4. Not soapy

Here are some suggestions for office / church wear:

Guerlain Habit Rouge - some may say powdery, but I think you might like it's oriental but clean/citric combination

Guerlain L'Instant - should be easy to get, see Milamber's great review in his diary for an accurate precis

(I'd also recommend Guerlain Derby but it's hard to get)

Chanel Egoiste - one of the great orientals, far better than Platinum, gorgeous creamy sandalwood floral

Chanel Antaeus - a powerhouse, very unique

Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - I'd urge you to try this even though you've said no vetiver

Trumpers Sandalwood - similar to Egoiste, but may be closer to "niche"? Buy from their online store.

I find Cartier Pasha and Trumper Curzon somewhat similar to Safari, one of my very old favourites.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Here are some suggestions for office / church wear:

Guerlain Habit Rouge - some may say powdery, but I think you might like it's oriental but clean/citric combination

Guerlain L'Instant - should be easy to get, see Milamber's great review in his diary for an accurate precis

(I'd also recommend Guerlain Derby but it's hard to get)

Chanel Egoiste - one of the great orientals, far better than Platinum, gorgeous creamy sandalwood floral

Chanel Antaeus - a powerhouse, very unique

Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - I'd urge you to try this even though you've said no vetiver

Trumpers Sandalwood - similar to Egoiste, but may be closer to "niche"? Buy from their online store.

I find Cartier Pasha and Trumper Curzon somewhat similar to Safari, one of my very old favourites.

Ged
    Habit ROuge has been suggested in a PM by someone else. Said it may be available somewhere for $20 and if so, Ill pop for that. Ill take wifey to try the Egoiste since Platinum did not work.

Sam

Oh and one other one - my other favourite Lutens is Daim Blond - have you considered it? Very soft leather and apricot kernel / light orangey smell. Quite nice, and would be better for work.

Ged

Daim Blond, well, yes, I would consider it. Leather, well, Royal English Leather by creed smells like bubblegum on me. Leather and Tobacco do not really float my boat as they say, but any cologne could have an ingredient that I do not prefer, but they way they craft it, could be very nice. Im not into vetiver but I read up on Obsession and it says vetiver is in there. Who would have thought that?

Ill read up on Daim Blond.

Sam

PdN New York will fit in well in the J.D. environment. I find that it can be worn year round and though it might seem like it would be pretty darn strong, it is actually subtle and moderate lasting. I'm more comfortable wearing it than I am its more powerful cousin (IMHO) Bois Du Portugal.

Dunhill '34 might work too. IMSMC, you live in a southern state and Dunhill '34, although a powerhouse is rather restrained... but then again its a leather so you might not care much for it.

Lalique Lion would also work. A more restrained Heritage. I think scentemental has Heritage EDP while I have EDT and he said the EDP takes the edge off the EDT (naturally I'm severely paraphrasing).

You might like Caswell Massey Sandalwood. Its not soapy for a sandalwood. Baldessarini?

Personally I do not like Yerbamate & LV Musk. Yerbamate = Canoe for me and Musk was just plain old too darn sweet.
    K
    Last edited by MisterK; 8th August 2006 at 03:43 AM.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Leather, well, Royal English Leather by creed smells like bubblegum on me.

Sam
    LoL I can see where you are coming from, but damn, overall, this scent is incredible !

You should try Bel Ami if you want something anti-gum
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Musc Ravageur - really musky, cinnamon, vanilla, and VERY VERY strong, no way you could wear this to office or church, and I don't particularly like it

Ged

I actually prefer this over Malles linear semi-earthy but wearable Vetiver Extraordinaire and the (massively overhyped) coconutty and strangely muted Carnal Flower. Its the best from Malle so far, in my opinion.
    -

Well, of the Malle line, it would be Musc Rav.

L'Artisan, it would be Tea for Two, or that new Fou one or something.

Lutens, gosh, about 5 of them: Chergui, Fumerie Turque, Arabie, Ambre Sultan, Daim Blond all have supporters. This is the line I probably have to get samples of.

New York, if I can get a deal on it, I will.

Montale and Jean Pascal - If something strikes my fancy, I will have to order it. It is amazing how you men, and ladies, find stuff that is just out there.

Too bad one place does not have all the lines so you can sample. I sent an email to Aedes and they came up with totally different choices, some of which have a vanilla sound to them.

Can you believe I read for 3 hours a day the last 3 or 4 days, trying to see what people think of these? I am sick.

Someone else mentioned Trumpers Sandalwood and I have to second that. It is a perfectly, conservative, good smelling office scent.

trumper Sandalwood is too sweet for me

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Here are some thoughts:. The more I read into what you are saying it sounds like you want a knockout oriental. You like Obsession, and I think we can easily one-up that one.
    Yes, I think this is right. Obsession kicked up a notch. Something I could wear now and then into winter. But not like Eau des Iles. I go to the test I posted on and I tend to the Orientals I think.

I am still on a quest for the perfect oriental. Obsession is close. I recently found Ambre Sultan to be closer still.

Dante: I keep reading up on the SL and I think it is this line or Montale. I keep thinking Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, Daim Blond, and Arabie are it. Noie Epices by Malle seems interesting, but one of those 4 SL's seems to get it. Now, Arabie is at Perfume Bay at $60 which is over a third off, so gosh, I am wondering if I should just get it anyway. I am waiting to try the Montales - some of the descriptions seem so nice.

Sam

I very nearly bought Arabie but preferred the Ambre Sultan, which is sweeter and closer to Obsession. Arabie veers slightly more towards coffee and more savoury spices.

Oh, Dante, tell me more!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obsession with spices? I might have to get this, especially since Arabie is on sale for over $30 off at perfume bay. It will be hard enough to get Chergui or Fumerie Turque, and Ambre Sultan I think is at Neimans for $92 unless there is a discount code or something. Can you further elaborate between these two, Ambre and Arabie? I might get it now, and wait to see what Montales I like. Or maybe I just ought to wait. I get impatient, lol

Sam

Look at this review by pluran:

Cedar, sandalwood resin, candied mandarin peel, dried fig, date, nutmeg, cumin, clove, Ceylon cardamom, bay leaf, balsamic resins, Tonka bean, Siamese benzoin, myrrh, labdanum cistus, rockrose and a light tobacco note.

Which fragrance is this? Did you answer Arabie? You're right.

This stuff comes on like gangbusters. It certainly doesn't smell bad, but you'll wonder why the hell you'd want to wear it. But after time it becomes softer, more subtle and downright sexy. I put on some Ambre Sultan and Fumerie Turque to use for comparison. They all blow the doors off most fragrances. Arabie has little secrets that continue to pop up and send strong signals through the synapses for an extended period of time.

Presence on the skin, prejection and longevity? You gotta be kiddin me. It's powerful stuff.

Definitely not for wimps who are concerned with what others think, even though this happens to smell really out of sight.....

Well, it has me considering it. I started a new thread on SL only

Dante: Another trip to the mall tonight. Obsession, well, a little bit powdery, but Escada, the original in the blue bottle with gold cap, now that had legs. And regular Egoiste started smelling better but was light.

Sam

Yes, I think this is right. Obsession kicked up a notch. Something I could wear now and then into winter. But not like Eau des Iles. I go to the test I posted on and I tend to the Orientals I think.
    finsfan-
    Have you tried CdG Palisander? I find this to be reminiscent of Obsession (probably because of the myrrh), but more smooth and refined. It's available on luckyscent.com. One of my current top frags.
    Last edited by DJB; 9th August 2006 at 07:46 AM.

You might want to consider some citrus or vetiver fragrances for
    the office. Maybe Christian Dior Eau Sauvage, Acqua di Parma Colonia,
    or Guerlain Vetiver or Vetiver Sport. They would be a nice balance to
    some of the stronger, more unusual frags on your list.