Code of Conduct

Default L'Occitane Eau du Badian review

I was at the mall tonight getting some music software for my computer and I had to walk past Sephora --OK, I went in and wound up only buying a Hanae Mori deo stick. I felt pretty good about resisting the urge to spend. Unfortunately, right next to the Sephora was a L'Occitane store. I had to go in. The store was really inviting--I liked the cozy,warm environment of the store and they had a ton of products. The woman working there was really nice, and so I decided to check out their line of men's fragrances.

I'd smelled the Vetyver before. It's quality stuff. It reminds me a bit of Gucci Envy. I tried the new Eau des Baux. Really nice. I would have bought it, but it's just a little bit too dry and rough. It reminds me of Chanel Allure Homme with a driftwood dryness around the edges. Nice and warm, yet not quite enveloping. It would work better in a different season.

I tried 4 Voleurs, Cade (only in a splash), Eau de L'OCCITAN and maybe one other. I ended up buying a bottle of Eau du Badian.

Eau du Badian is a fresh, slightly citrus scent with a heart of anise. Anise is one of my favorite notes. Also in this scent is a note of blackcurrant which I noticed after a few tries. A woman was in the store looking for a shaving set for her hubby, so I used her for a guinea pig. She loved the Eau du Badian. She kept wanting to smell my arm.

OK, this scent seems kind of fleeting. Not really powerful, and it doesn't seem to have a ton of sillage. And even though I read the label and I know there are synthetics in the fragrance, it does smell very natural and herbal. I do wish there was a bit more presence to this fragrance, but I have the feeling that once I've worn it for a few more days, I'll be able to detect it a lot more (It always happens that new scents need a few wearings before they seem to have "substance" on my skin.) I am quite certain that in a few days, this scent will seem much stronger. Right now. my only complaint is that it seems a bit muddled-- I wish there was something in it a bit sharp and bracing, maybe a bit of lavender...

I really dig the old apothecary feel that these scents (and this one in particular) seem to have. They don't have that "cologne" vibe to them-- As I sit here and sniff this fragrance on my arm, I'm thinking of a much softer, washed out L'eau Bleue D'Issey. They aren't all that similar, but both have a dreamy herbal thing going on. Bleue is a powerhouse though, while this is a nice skin scent. And I'm also picking up a faint smokiness in Badian that gives it some character. As of right now, I wish this scent were stronger, though I know it's just because I always perceive all new scents as weak.

I picked up a bottle of the shower gel also and it's really invigorating. The L'Occitane stuff is packaged in old fashioned brown bottles. I saw an old picture and the bottles used to be clear. Also on a side note, the legend of this scent is something about a "traveling minstrel", a storyteller talking about plucking the "stars" (star anise) from the sky. Badian is an old name for anise, so that's what the name refers to. I wonder if the "badian crystals" in L'Instant refers to anise? Anyway, this L'Occitane stuff is a nice change from the usual. The $40 price tag was pretty decent as well. I think down the road I may get a bottle of Eau des Baux. L'Occitane doesn't get a lot of mention around here, but they have a good range of products.

Default Re: L'Occitane Eau du Badian review

L'Occitane do make some wonderful stuff! I like Eau du Badian and have been tempted recently to get some.

They make some great liquid soaps; the almond one (in a huge 500ml bottle) is fantastic, suitable for face or body.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Great review, Dutchie guy! ("Goede review!")

I myself happen to like L'Occitane a lot too. In fact I think they are one of the most historical, craftsmanship-like brands in the 'mass market'. They recently opened in my city as well and therefore I should actually really apply for a job... I've tried a few of the ones you tried and completely share your opinion.

Vetyver is currently on my wishlist since I'm really lacking a vetiver fragrance in my wardrobe, and I have a sample of Eau des Baux lying around here. Indeed, as you mentioned, EDB is rather 'rough' and 'boom!' when it comes to the heaviness, but it certainly is interesting.

Enjoy your Eau du Badian, I use the shower gel of it nearly every day and it never bores me .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

This past Tuesday, I did the exact same thing you did Indie. I stopped in a L'Occitane store ( I've never sampled any of their frags ) and spent about a half hour spraying and sniffing ... and spraying and sniffing. I think the sales lady was getting a bit pissed after about 20 minutes...

Anyway, I wound up buying the new Eav des Bavx and 4 Voleurs. I kinda regret buying the 4 Voleurs now because, when I sampled it, I thought it was a nice "lemony" citrus scent. But, not only did the citrus fade after I got in my car, but it completely disappeared after about 45 minutes. Eav des Bavx, on the other hand, I think is fantastic! Very long lasting and yes, dry, but might be a perfect "fall" scent. The best of the bunch ... IMHO.

The others were OK, but all seemed short lived. If I were going to buy another, it would definitely be Eau du Badian. I like the anise also. It reminds me a bit of "Il Giardino"... the one Mike from Storeraromatics here sells. The other 2, Vetiver and L'Homme were not bad, just OK to me.

I have been a huge fan of the L'Occitane brand for years now. Very classy company. Socially and globally conscious on a scale you don't see anymore. Interesting tidbit about the company....I don't know if you've ever noticed but they have braille markings on all of their packaging. Very classy indeed but a secondary and deeper explanation comes from the fact that they sponsor a school for the blind and sight impaired at their headquarters in France where they teach the blind the science of scent. Then they hire the best and brightest to come work for them as scent-ologists. Pretty damn smart if you ask me!
    Oh and one more thng that blew my socks off. Everytime you buy something from them, they do an elaborate presentation job of wrapping your purchases in some nice tissue paper. I used to think it was a nice gesture but a little wasteful until I read that the European Union partnered with L'Occitane and another company in Italy to clean the algae from the canals of Venice and that is what they make all of that tissue paper out of. Recycled algae from the canals of Venice.
    They are a very cool company. Support them!

Quote Originally Posted by myclevername
    ....I don't know if you've ever noticed but they have braille markings on all of their packaging. Very classy indeed but a secondary and deeper explanation comes from the fact that they sponsor a school for the blind and sight impaired at their headquarters in France where they teach the blind the science of scent.
    I noticed the braille on L'Occitane long back and always thought how helpful that must be for blind people doing their shopping. More companies should do that.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews