Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cool Re: REVIEW: Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    "
    But how can this many people spend time postulating about a fragrance they know relatively nothing about? .
    that's simply because it is Yves Saint Laurent.
    Last edited by tariq; 13th August 2006 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: REVIEW: Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

I find it so incredibly strange that these high-end fashion houses which hardly can produce a t-shirt with out the price tag being set at $200, let alone place them in a store next to me so I can buy them (if I had that kind of money). They come out with the most amazing clothing lines year after year (I'm not only talking YSL here, but pretty much all of them) but cannot, for some reason, do the same with their fragrances... It just escapes me...

Of course I can see that producing fragrances like this brings attention to their brand, but almost none of the consumers wears anything else from that brand. Fragrance seems to be the poor man's luxury (apart from cigarettes and booze) pretty much and I don't like that at all. We do have the Armani Prive line and some other brands doing their flagship-only fragrances, but still... I'm not sure where I'm going with this I'm just rambling. Frustration is all I feel.

I don't doubt Serpents review and I admit being slightly worried (ok, I overdramatised a bit with the Prozac thing) but how many of you, besides Serpent, have tried this fragrance ?
    Isn't it better to try it first for ourselfs before slamming this before it's even released ?

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I don't doubt Serpents review and I admit being slightly worried (ok, I overdramatised a bit with the Prozac thing) but how many of you, besides Serpent, have tried this fragrance ?
    Isn't it better to try it first for ourselfs before slamming this before it's even released ?
    I thought about this when replying, but my frustration goes out to more than just this house, so therefore I continued rambling. Of course I need to smell it before putting the actual fragrance down.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I thought about this when replying, but my frustration goes out to more than just this house, so therefore I continued rambling. Of course I need to smell it before putting the actual fragrance down.
    It wasn't specifically your post that made me wonder about this, but was meant more in general, Shifts. Me too ,like to read reviews about upcoming releases , for the simple reason that I'm impatient to try every darn, new release. I admire most of the reviewers here for their capability to do so, with the main reason being that I simply never can choose the beautifull descriptions and words that most of the experienced reviewers do it the way they do. (The main reason ofcourse that English isn't my first language). But I do like to read them and other than that, I also am dissapointed when someone is posting negative reviews about an upcoming release,f.e. Prada man, Terre, YSL etc. But then again, sometimes the reviews are right on the spot and sometimes they are totally the opposite of my findings.Everytime I read and enjoy ,reading a review I keep in the back of my mind that it's totally subjective and therefore I still have to smell it for myself.

Serpent

Look, someone here's going to like this. Someone's going to love it. I'm not saying my opinion is canonical. I just smelled it and gave my view. (I didn't even go out of my way to smell it; I was in Century City on business.) Everyone should smell it themselves, naturally. Even if someone else smelled it first, I'd still want to experience it for myself.

It's at Bloomingdale's in America right now, folks. Go! Skeedaddle!

I keep trying to think of scents this reminds me of, but they're such a faceless lot. Maybe, on the outside... Baldessarini? (That sort of purple sweetness at the bottom of L'Homme, though: total Axe body spray.) I think some people actually like Baldessarini. So there's hope for some of you.

Thanks for the review! now i'll have to find out for myself what it smells like...

Default Yes, I'm speculating

Serpent,
    Thanks for your review. I know I'll need to smell this for myself, but this warning is valuable, and I certainly won't buy this blind. I understand the arguments against forming an opinion without sniffing, but many of us BN'ers just can't help speculating - it's fun!

What I like about YSL scents is that they each have strong personalities, and they've managed to do this without having niche-level prices. That's great for us who are not willing to spend $100+ for a bottle.

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall at the business meetings for this. Anybody who has been through corporate takeovers (I've seen several) can imagine the lameness of the "new rules", possibly well-intentioned, often very poorly executed.

I agree that having several designers is probably not a good sign. The first designer may have come in with something "strong", and some new suit (with a strong background in the carbonated beverage industry) would say, "no, that's old-school YSL - we're looking for youth-market penetration" [oooo!], and if you don't believe us, we've got the sales-figures for M7 right here. We're looking to make the new Acqua Di Gio". So the designer makes version 2, and that's knocked down, and finally they bring in another designer, and another, and so on. Finally, they end up with watered-down, totally derivative swill, and it may even sell well!

The funny thing is, I suspect if they'd marketed M7 by featuring the latest tabloid celebrity stooge, it would have sold like a demon!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I find it so incredibly strange that these high-end fashion houses which hardly can produce a t-shirt with out the price tag being set at $200, let alone place them in a store next to me so I can buy them (if I had that kind of money). They come out with the most amazing clothing lines year after year (I'm not only talking YSL here, but pretty much all of them) but cannot, for some reason, do the same with their fragrances... It just escapes me...

Of course I can see that producing fragrances like this brings attention to their brand, but almost none of the consumers wears anything else from that brand. Fragrance seems to be the poor man's luxury (apart from cigarettes and booze) pretty much and I don't like that at all. We do have the Armani Prive line and some other brands doing their flagship-only fragrances, but still... I'm not sure where I'm going with this I'm just rambling. Frustration is all I feel.
    couture alone isn't going to make anyone any money, and fragrance is the only thing these companies make that is INVISIBLE. thats why they allow themselves to put out crappy stuff for the masses in the fragrance arena. earn profits. have people truly believe that because you own red jeans, you own something "versace". and don't visibly degrade the line. gah! its genius!

Banned

Default Re: Yes, I'm speculating

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento

The funny thing is, I suspect if they'd marketed M7 by featuring the latest tabloid celebrity stooge, it would have sold like a demon!
    I really think they should have pulled a more nichey approach to marketing it! i mean oudwood base? who's even heard of that apart from us frag nuts here on BN

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    I really think they should have pulled a more nichey approach to marketing it! i mean oudwood base? who's even heard of that apart from us frag nuts here on BN
    No, what they should have done is marketed it without a big ol' penis.

Those ads didn't run in most magazines, though. I think the name was odd. But really, the scent was just weird. Talking to sales associates about Yves Saint Laurent, they tell me people just hated it here. At Saks, I was told, "I don't think we sold more than five pieces the whole time it was here." That's not good for a major launch from a major designer. If one has quirky tastes, if one is into YSL's whole line, or if one has the patience to work with the scent, M7 will pay off. But I can say that, for the average customer, just coming across M7 on one cursory sniff, it doesn't make a good impression. Remember that's what scents have to do - sell themselves in a quick sniff. It's like movie trailers: You have to get people hooked in a limited amount of time and willing to commit a considerable chunk of money before they decide to move down to something else or worse, just walk away. M7 starts very dark, hard, and almost ugly; it almost dares one not to buy it.

But think about what taking a "nichey" marketing approach really means. Hermès and Patou have done that lately. Do you know how they've done it? They limited the amount of stores in which their scents were available, and they jacked up the prices. Is that really what you want? Is that your solution to poor sales - make it harder-to-get and more expensive? Clearly some people think it is, because Antidote, a scent that is really not terribly special, costs about $25 more than comparable designer scents and will be exclusive to Saks for about four times longer than most exclusive runs. And, like Flowerbomb, another scent that was really not terribly special, it will probably sell hand-over-fist.

So hard-to-get and really expensive. That's the key...
    Last edited by Serpent; 30th August 2006 at 07:06 AM.

What a depressing thread. Still, no surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I just don't think YSL's scent jive with America at large and their tastes, but I think they're trying to reverse that with L'Homme. It's a very "American" juice.
    I agree totally, when sampling it I even thought that YSL L'Homme could appeal to Liz Claiborne customers. Sort of "my-first-adult-but-not-too-sophisticated" cologne.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    I agree totally, when sampling it I even thought that YSL L'Homme could appeal to Liz Claiborne customers. Sort of "my-first-adult-but-not-too-sophisticated" cologne.
    Thank God someone's smelled it!

I really think someone at YSL took a bottle of Givenchy pour Homme to the three perfumers - a tip-off that this wasn't going to be a singular vision of artistry but rather a by-committee scent to appeal to the masses - responsible for L'Homme and said, "Make us our own version of this, something nice and pleasant, with the guise of refinement but fresh and uncomplicated enough for all those people whose noses are too accustomed to colognes that laundry soap won't be turned off."

Companies realize those guys who used to buy CK One and Eternity for Men are getting a bit older and more affluent and are looking for new fragrances, thinking they should wear something that reflects their higher salaries and the more expensive labels in their clothes. But that doesn't mean they necessarily want to change how they smell. That's why M7 and Rive Gauche pour Homme were such spectacular flops in America. No, they just want their Eau de Hygiene to have more prestige, and YSL looks like it's catching onto what companies like Bulgari (Bulgari Aqua), Ermenegildo Zegna (Z Zegna), Clean, and Sean John (Unforgivable) have been onto for awhile now.

Finally had a chance to sniff this one today. It's not out over here until 16th September, but the YSL concession in Harvey Nicks had a tester hidden away waiting for me to go in and see them. The SA was really excited and couldn't wait to spray me with it. I held my hand out with baited breath, took a sniff and wished that I had held my breath for longer. Everything that Serp has said about this scent is true. It really is boring.

The SA came out with a wonderful remark. She said that the lid would make an ideal paperweight. To me that's the only use that this latest disaster could be put to.

Will someone please fire miss Chantal Roos!
    Last edited by eric; 2nd September 2006 at 02:22 PM.

Serpent

Will someone please fire miss Chantal Roos!
    Hey, if she makes them a truckload of money, she'll get a big bonus. You all know how to register your displeasure with a fragrance: Don't buy a bottle.

Oh, my word. This is not good.

It's like water with celery.

This is so not good.

I weep.

This is sad news for sure....Oh well....I hate the bottle anyway so....in this case....Bad Bottle = Bad Fragrance.
    Gary

Well Serpent, what can I say?
    For once you weren´t brutal enough - this is a piece of garbage.
    I will forever remember this dreadful day of sampling as the moment when this prestigous house, creators of so many fine fragrances sold out.

Horrible juice, closest thing is Hugo Boss Selection. A sad day indeed.

MMM

Unhappy Re: REVIEW: Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

Haven't even tried it yet and on the strength of your collective appraisals, I don't even want to.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Well Serpent, what can I say?
    For once you weren´t brutal enough
    Oh no!

Am I going soft? I do have a reputation as the resident curmudgeon to maintain. I'll try to be much more venomous next time...