Code of Conduct

Thread: Gris Clair

Default Gris Clair

I've had a lavender gap in my wardrobe for a long time. I wore Agua Lavanda exclusively for most of my 20s, then switched briefly to Pour un Homme just as I was becoming more interested in fragrances. After a while I decided PuH was cloying and not for me and moved on to a variety of other things without revisiting lavender. Later, I re-bought Agua Lavanda, but it never "clicked" the way it had for me when I was younger. I think I'd become a little spoiled by that point, to be honest.

So today without much premeditation I picked up a bottle of Gris Clair, which I'd tested before and been unsure about. It originally seemed there was something almost bizarre/unnatural about the strength and persistence of the lavender note, but I decided that could be managed by varying the application (and might be a good thing anyway). I'm excited about having some lavender in my life again after a number of years.

What do others think about this one? I get mostly lavender from it, but someone else suggested it has a significant musk element too. I'm still forming my opinions about Gris Clair and the times and places for it, but I'm inclined to think it was a good choice.

Default Re: Gris Clair

It's certainly a most exceptional lavender. Powerful, smoky and very realistic-smelling. You can really imagine the fragrant grey lavender growing in some rocky place with a hot dry wind blowing etc.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I really like Gris Clair. The lavendar is a bit overpowering to me ... at first. But on the drydown, it definitely takes a step back and lets the other notes come through and blend with it.

Not sure if I like lavendar all that much, but I still have about half my decant to go through before spending the money.

I've tried it a couple of times and am still trying to make up my mind whether I like it. I love lavender frags, but this one has a note that smells like electrical wires burning that makes me recoil slightly when I get a whiff of it. I'm not sure I could wear this one for long without getting put off by that.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Gris Clair

I loved this the first time I sampled it (it was a cool day) - I found the lavender wonderfully true but was bemused by the sweet musky dryown. The second time I sampled it, it immediately became a cheap 70's chypre cologne with all cheap musky smelling powdery woods dominating the blend. I admit it was a warmer day and maybe it doesn't wear well in the heat but it was very off putting.

I much prefer Crown Fougere and Maxim's pour homme for my lavender fix (sometimes topped up with Yardley Lavender Cologne or Lavender EO). I also like Guerlain Jicky EDP but find it rather schizophrenic (like Shalimar) with its bright lavender bergamot opening and deep sexy (dragon's blood scented) vanilla musk incense dry down.

Maybe Serge Lutens Gris Clair is his 'Jicky' for a modern generation?!!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

This is a wonderful lavander/smoky scent. It's a good fragrance specially on warm summer days. It also has good longevity. It's the only Serge Lutens I have on my wardrobe, so far.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I'm a big SL fan here, but I'm still not sure whether or not GC will become a future purchase for me. Prior to testing GC, I was always blown away by Borneo 1834's medicinal, camphorous opening, but GC even trumps Borneo in this department ... not for the weak of heart!

I can't make up my mind about the drydown: seems like a reincarnation of Un Bois Sepia's thick, sweet woods, and I'm not sure I like that with the bracing lavender on top. I was surprised to find a really strong incense note in there, though (shades of Encens de Lavande?)

If you haven't yet, give LV Inglese a try: it's not as strong as GC (nor does it have GC's longevity), but the mix of herbs in Inglese really puts the lavender in a beautiful light, and IMHO elevates the lavender from being just a "linen water" type of scent into something really memorable. It retains enough of the lavender's freshness so that it works well in summer heat, while the herbal complexity would also make it a good fall scent.

Anyways, enjoy your new bottle of GC ... should be great for the coming fall months!

I've been wearing Gris Clair this weekend and liking it a lot. For its strength, it wears closer to the skin that I expected, which I like. And I'm also liking the balanced drydown that maintains most of the richness of the original blast.

Thankfully, I don't get the burning electrical wires at all.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by juggernet
    (shades of Encens de Lavande?)
    That's exactly what I thought: Gris Clair strikes me as a reworked, musk-enhanced Encens et Lavande for the export market. It seems like Lutens took one of his most inconsequential Paris-only scents and made it fuller, and then, with more flesh on its previously brittle bones, chose to let it out of its Palais Royal confines.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    That's exactly what I thought: Gris Clair strikes me as a reworked, musk-enhanced Encens et Lavande for the export market. It seems like Lutens took one of his most inconsequential Paris-only scents and made it fuller, and then, with more flesh on its previously brittle bones, chose to let it out of its Palais Royal confines.
    Serpent-- do you think Gris Clair is an improved version of Encens et Lavande? I mean would you own both?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Serpent-- do you think Gris Clair is an improved version of Encens et Lavande? I mean would you own both?
    I'm the wrong person to ask. Incense doesn't hold to my skin, so I can't really wear either scent. I would say, smell them both, find which one you love, and choose. But I do think they overlap. I think Gris Clair is sort of the more mass-market, soft focus version of Encens et Lavande. And I think Encens et Lavande is rather simple and austere; there's just not much going on for all that money. Improved? Not necessarily. Just a different take. Moreover, Caron's Pour un Homme, which also sort of treads on the same lavender territory, holds my heart. Encens et Lavande struck me as the bitter, crisp, non-oriental rendition of Pour un Homme. Is Pour un Homme improved? (Or, more accurately, is Encens et Lavande improved on the much-older Pour Homme?) Not necessarily. Just a different take.

If you are a lavender completist - just the biggest lavender fanatic on earth, say - then get both. Otherwise, be satisfied with Gris Clair and save your money. I don't think one needs both Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande. But that's my opinion.

I wearing this today and I am MOST impressed....just taking a whiff puts me in a calm relaxed state of mind...I LOVE this stuff...I just had to interject my .02

Gris Clair is by far my favorite SL fragrance (and one of my favourite perfumes of all time). It's deeply evocative, but that's probably a personal thing. Objectively, I think it's a hauntingly beautiful perfume.

Does anyone know of a place that sells Serge Lutens for cheaper than retail price? So far I haven't been able to find anywhere online that sells them for less than the standard $100(ish).

Gris Clair is phenomenal. I love it. I have a tiny sample vial and I'm jealously hoarding it with dreams to buy a full bottle.

I made a very strange observation over the weekend during a too-short stop at The Perfume House in Portland. I was sampling a number of things, one of which was Carven Vetiver (the new formulation, which is not well liked here from what I can see). I detected a lavender note in this that was very reminiscent, specifically, of the Gris Clair take on lavender, so much so that I decided I must have been smelling residual Gris Clair on the shirt I was wearing.

However, I reapplied elsewhere and decided the note was coming from the Carven Vetiver. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

I did buy the Carven fragrance as a result of this observation. I'm not blown away by it, but it seems interesting. Time will tell whether I come to agree with the generally negative reviews.
    Last edited by Tuner_Watson; 4th April 2007 at 06:43 AM.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

The Carven Vetiver you saw in The Perfume House is in a new-style
    bottle. I think it's a reformulation. The much derided version is the
    previous one, which I have and which truly has close to zero smell.
    I literally have to drench myself in it to smell much of anything.

I've heard that this new Carven Vetiver is a significant improvement over
    the previous version.

My recommendation for a lavender scent to try would be Acqua di Parma
    Lavanda Tonica.

Regards,
    trumpet_guy

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    The Carven Vetiver you saw in The Perfume House is in a new-style
    bottle. I think it's a reformulation. The much derided version is the
    previous one, which I have and which truly has close to zero smell.
    I literally have to drench myself in it to smell much of anything.

I've heard that this new Carven Vetiver is a significant improvement over
    the previous version.

My recommendation for a lavender scent to try would be Acqua di Parma
    Lavanda Tonica.

Regards,
    trumpet_guy
    Ah, interesting (and heartening). So are you saying there was the original version that earned the reputation, a feeble reforumulation that squandered it, and now a new reformulation that is the one I just bought?
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Theres a fair bit of overlap between Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande but I like Encens et Lavander more because its "darker" - smoky incense fuses with cool lavender. No crazy mish mash of the typical lutens oriental ingredients here. Its good stuff and should be in the export line.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson View Post
    Ah, interesting (and heartening). So are you saying there was the original version that earned the reputation, a feeble reforumulation that squandered it, and now a new reformulation that is the one I just bought?
    Yeah, that's what I understand. I think Scentemental might have posted on
    this recently. I was at The Perfume House a few months ago and I saw
    that new Carven Vetiver bottle, but I just passed it by, assuming it was
    the same insipid juice I already own, but then I read some post on Basenotes
    that said it was a reformulation, already released in Europe and finally
    making it's way over here. Supposedly, this re-release is more like the
    original. Hopefully.
    --------------------------------------
    OK, here is Scentemental's post on this:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...carven+vetiver
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 4th April 2007 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Yeah, that's what I understand. I think Scentemental might have posted on
    this recently. I was at The Perfume House a few months ago and I saw
    that new Carven Vetiver bottle, but I just passed it by, assuming it was
    the same insipid juice I already own, but then I read some post on Basenotes
    that said it was a reformulation, already released in Europe and finally
    making it's way over here. Supposedly, this re-release is more like the
    original. Hopefully.
    --------------------------------------
    OK, here is Scentemental's post on this:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...carven+vetiver
    Thanks for the link to Scentimental's post--now I remember reading it.

This seems like a thorough GC thread so I will input here.

Where did the Lavender go?????

Loved it for the first hour or so, then the lavender departs and a lovely tonka (with slight amber) takes it place and sits there for a good 6 hours. I am all about the amber and tonka scents, but I want GC for its lavender not tonka. Where did the lavender go? I shall try it one more time but I am positive there was no lavender after the first hour. Disappointing because the opening lead me to believe it would be a lavender based scent all the way.

^guess that's part the natural of lavender, the scent does not last long. even pure essential oil

CX827, I dont think the nature of lavender has anything to do with its short lived longevity in the perfume.

^If you're talking about the natural oil, i do think it is.
    some other fragrances that contain natural lavender like Brin Réglisse and L'occitane homme are even shot lived than Gris Clair.

I have only worn this in the cool winter weather but i certainly enjoy the "brisk" opening of the frag.

One of my favorite lavenders ever. Very melancholic, but comforting at the same time.

very very wintery fragrance, unwearable in warm climate. I like it, albeit perhaps it is a bit too strong, lasting and boozy for a female skin...
    Last edited by Pasionaria; 12th January 2012 at 11:14 AM.