Code of Conduct

Question Please help me decide.

I'm looking for an easy to wear, cozy, cold weather fragrance. I just purchased Geir and I love it, but I would like to have something a little bit warmer as well. I'm going to Nordstrom's tomorrow to try Dior Homme and L'Instant. Do you think these will work? I have concerns about the femenine qualities of DH. I don't mind androgenous scents but I would like something slightly more masculine than Geir; less cloying than Rochas Man maybe? I would like this to be something casual enough for a night in with the lady, but of quality. Thanks very much!

What I have now (that I wear):
    Gier
    Gendarme
    Millesime Imperial
    Rochas Man

Please excuse my naivete...

Default Re: Please help me decide.

Warmer scents for the colder months..well...Gucci Envy comes to mind. Jaipur would be another one I like. Rive Gauche PH, maybe M7. Also Chanel Egoiste (reg. not Platinum Egoiste)

Thrax

Dior Homme is definatley some good stuff. I do love it. I dont know what they sell at Nordstroms but I would definatley suggest for you to try out Opium by YSL (edp if possible)

Daddy_Thrax also hit the nail on the head...how did I forget Opium EdP?

Platinum beat me over the head when I tried it (trying to get a sense for Himalaya). Envy reminds me of an old roommate that would always knock on my door asking for prophylactics, so that's out for me. Ive tried Jaipur and it seemed a bit formal for my purposes. These all actually sound like good ideas but I would like something a little unique as well if possible. Thanks again for indulging my rookie question.

I actually have never tried Opium..I'll check it out tomorrow. I guess I never considered it because I think what I am looking for is a light oriental on the order of Geir and I get the impression that Opium would be a bit much. Also, I have heard good things about Chopard's Carsan.
    Last edited by Ace_Rockolla; 12th August 2006 at 09:25 AM.

Have you tried Burberry Brit for Men? It's a sweet powdery sort of oriental...along the lines of Jaipur, but a little less formal...it is extremely nice.

I think that Burberry Brit would be a great choice for cozying up to your lady...they all seem to like it.

That's actually on my list as well. I think you have a good idea of what I'm looking for! But no I have not tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PRBRT33
    Have you tried Burberry Brit for Men? It's a sweet powdery sort of oriental...along the lines of Jaipur, but a little less formal...it is extremely nice.
    Agree 100%. Nothing says "fall" to me more than Brit.

Fantastic frag that will always be in my top 5.

Wait, is it Brit or Brit for Men that I sould try?

EDIT: Nevermind that.
    Last edited by Ace_Rockolla; 12th August 2006 at 09:31 AM.

I agree with Ziffy...it is fall...along those lines another one if you're willing to shell out the bucks and time to find it...Creed Acier Aluminum...it's got a very first snow, fall leaves, vanilla/amber drydown that is also a big hit...with a top note that is just masculine cold steel, to me that is....I can't wait for the late fall to try it in that climate.

Brit for Men....the woman's is just Brit...it's fantastic on a woman, believe me...a very, well, fantastic woman at work wears Brit...well, it's another great frag...just leave it for the ladies. =)

Yeah I have a sample of AA and it was nice. I don't know if I could afford to smell like it everyday though (24 year old grad student here...one Creed is all my income can justify right now).

Well, I know that...shit, I'm a 26 year old who's gone through college not once but twice...Music first but that didn't translate into my medicine career...lol!! Nothing like wasting 80,000 on a B.A. the most worthless degree there is. LOL!! Anyway, I think Brit for Men would be a fantastic choice...considering what you're looking for and what you've tried....

I should clarify before I get nasty messages...it was a B.A. in music performance...not exactly going to grab you a job right out of college... =)

I bought Burberry weekend years ago and ended up being turned off to the Burberry line. Ignorant I guess. I'm excited to try Brit though.

I was originally turned off to the line from a magazine sample....I'm glad I went back and tried again...after being on here...

So you would recommend Brit over DH and L'Instant? Also do you think it is different enough than Rochas Man to purchase? I'm tring to keep my collection lean.
    Last edited by Ace_Rockolla; 12th August 2006 at 10:58 AM.

Actually, I still am not impressed with the rest of the line...Brit for Men just clicked with me rather well as it is a fantastic scent..I'm more of a Creed/YSL kind of guy I guess.

Would I recommend...well, I don't know...I mean, give it a try. It's a staple in my rotation of over 70....I use it more than often. I get more compliments on it than my Creed's or L'Artisans....but again, it comes down to wearing what you like. I like Burberry Brit a hell of a lot, and I find myself reaching for it more and more....and on top of that it never ceases to get compliments....especially from the women. A nice secondary excuse to wear it.

However, I would definately recommend it over Rochas Man....didn't care for that one at all...

Would I recommend...well, I don't know...I mean, give it a try. It's a staple in my rotation of over 70....I use it more than often. I get more compliments on it than my Creed's or L'Artisans....but again, it comes down to wearing what you like. I like Burberry Brit a hell of a lot, and I find myself reaching for it more and more....and on top of that it never ceases to get compliments....especially from the women. A nice secondary excuse to wear it.
    Good enough.

However, my Rochas was from a sample...so I don't know completely...I think you wouldn't be dissapointed with Brit, as it's a different frag from what you listed, yet cozy and warm, and a hit with the ladies...and would be an especially nice counterpart to the fruity, sea kind of thing that MI gives...I like to wear MI on one day and follow up with either Geir or Brit....it's a stunning contrast.

...I like to wear MI on one day and follow up with either Geir or Brit....it's a stunning contrast.
    Very nice

Hell, I didn't even think of L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe....this one is both warm and cold...don't know how they did it. It's both comforting and seductive in a way...not to mention something that's just barbershop fresh....strange frag but very awesome and it seems to hang around forever. To me, it seems to fill all voids, but this one since it's mostly natural depends alot on skin chemistry and such.

Hi Ace_Rockolla,
    some good suggestions have already been mentioned here...
    Burberry Brit for men, Egoiste and Acier Aluminium are for sure winners. I've never had the chance to smell Geir so I cannot guess exactly what you would like, but I suggest your to try some other warm but not cloying orientals: Guerlain Heritage, Lacroix Tumulte (my latest buy), Dior Bois d'Argent and Malle's Musk Ravageur (I can wear it also in summer nights without being cloying).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Hi Ace_Rockolla,
    some good suggestions have already been mentioned here...
    Burberry Brit for men, Egoiste and Acier Aluminium are for sure winners. I've never had the chance to smell Geir so I cannot guess exactly what you would like, but I suggest your to try some other warm but not cloying orientals: Guerlain Heritage, Lacroix Tumulte (my latest buy), Dior Bois d'Argent and Malle's Musk Ravageur (I can wear it also in summer nights without being cloying).
    All great suggestions...thanks!

I do have to second Malle's Musc Ravageur as well...that is a FANTASTIC frag....very very expensive...but it is top notch...I recently purchased it...haven't received it yet..but it's on it's way. Two sprays and you're good to go...absolutely fantastic.

Burberry Brit is good stuff and I'll certainly be wearing it alot in fall. But do try, even if you don't buy, Creed's Bois du Portugal. I think this is a wonderful autumn scent, though it's radically differrent from the many suggested orientals and sometimes considered a formal, business suit scent. I love it because it is so dry - no powdery sticky sweetness in this. Powerful dry wood and spices give it an unbelievable strength and clarity, like a sharp cold autumn day when you can see the the red-golden leaves so finely contured against a steel blue sky. Then there's that hint of lavender (which I love) to prevent excessive harshness. I think it wears as well with a rugged Aran woolen as with a three piece suit. A nice hot toddy to boot, the girl of your dreams in your arm (she'll love it, too) - autumn couldn't get better. To me this is the benchmark for every other scent with the name bois/wood in it.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Musc Ravageur; that's one of the first one's I bookmarked when I joined. Maybe one day...
    Last edited by Ace_Rockolla; 12th August 2006 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Burberry Brit is good stuff and I'll certainly be wearing it alot in fall. But do try, even if you don't buy, Creed's Bois du Portugal...
    I just revieved a decant of New TAbarome which was more floral than I was expecting. Maybe BdP will be more what I was looking for.

I'd wager it will be. I like Tabarome but it's far fuzzier and sweeter than BdP.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I may get laughed at for suggesting this, but if you are looking for an oriental style scent with some warmth and sweetness I think Black Code by Armani wouldn't be a bad choice. The tonka note really exudes warmth. I thought it was fantastic when I sampled it on skin. Much better than his other fragrances IMO.

L'Instant would be a perfect addition to your drobe. I love it!!!