Code of Conduct

Default About Grey Flannel and Clean smells

Although I buy many styles for in-home use only, the only style I wear out is soapy fresh, and I have the most popular ones -- Bulgari, Mugler, Gendarme 20, Clean Men. But the one I wore before all of these and still is Grey Flannel. Like most frags, it's prom night if over applied, but worn correctly I think its soapy fresh like the others. What I want by compliments is "you smell nice," not "what cologne are you wearing?" The GF does this like the others. Thus, I'm shocked by the reviews and comments of GF on BN. Many who routinely wear oreintals I wouldn't leave the house with describe GF as over the top. I really don't get it. What say you?

Default Re: About Grey Flannel and Clean smells

Yeah, I don't get it either. I used to have Grey Flannel, and quite frankly I found it subdued and a gentle violet fragrance. It was not one that leapt off the skin. But it wasn't one I found soapy... I kind of found it alcoholic in a way.

I also don't get the comparison to Fahrenheit that is made on the review board. Fahrenheit (coincidentally my SOTD) has a strong honeysuckle note. Grey Flannel has a strong violet note. note: osmoz.com states Fahrenheit has a violet note, but no honeysuckle note. Eh bien... The Dior website confirms the basenotes pyramid though.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I think it's over the top/way too harsh for the first half hour.
    Then it settles down to something wearable. But "soapy" isn't a term I'd have applied to it.
    It was Russlan many years ago who told me to give it another go -preferably with a leather jacket - and I'm glad I did.

Eau de Gray Flannel I like more than the original, particularly in warmer weather.
    Renato

Grey Flannel has a ferocious mossy kick for 30 to 45 minutes before it settles down, which can be off-putting to many. I happen to think that the wait is worth it.

Ah yes, Grey Flannel. Great Stuff
    The days remembered when I had two choices in cologne. Polo or Grey Flannel. I agree after a 1/2 hour it settles down to a very soapy fresh aroma. Still nothing like it on the market.

By the way, Grey Flannel is celebrating it's 30th year in production.
    1976-2006. Congrats Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel - One superb fragrance. Very sharp opening that lasts for a bit and a smooth linear style of fragrance that lasts all day. This is the fragrance that started me on this perfume addiction (and that's all due to basenotes, after finding Grey Flannel).

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    It was Russlan many years ago who told me to give it another go -preferably with a leather jacket - and I'm glad I did.
    I still remember that thread on Grey Flannel! It made an impression on me, it prompted me to try this scent. I remember he also said its good for rainy days, very true. On a hot day, GF is too strong and stuffy. On a cool day, this fragrance has a sophisticated allure about it. When Fahrenheit was launched in 1988, theres many comparison of it with GF, but these days there are more scents smelling like Fahrenheit. GF remains original.

Although I like it, I rarely use GF. The topnotes are just too awful to my nose - its barbershop to the max. Only after 30 mins, the scent drydown to a nice clean mossy smell. Reminds me of baby lotion for some strange reason...

If my scent geography is not all confused, GF, Polo, and Old Spice are my faovorite l'eaux americaines! I tried others available in Europe. But only two more are part of my my wardrobe. Patricia NY isn't even on our market.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th August 2006 at 12:16 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour
    I still remember that thread on Grey Flannel! It made an impression on me, it prompted me to try this scent. I remember he also said its good for rainy days, very true. On a hot day, GF is too strong and stuffy. On a cool day, this fragrance has a sophisticated allure about it. When Fahrenheit was launched in 1988, theres many comparison of it with GF, but these days there are more scents smelling like Fahrenheit. GF remains original.

Although I like it, I rarely use GF. The topnotes are just too awful to my nose - its barbershop to the max. Only after 30 mins, the scent drydown to a nice clean mossy smell. Reminds me of baby lotion for some strange reason...
    Good memory you have. Grey Flannel is definitely a cold weather scent. While Eau de Grey Flannel is a warm weather one (though you wouldn't think it from a casual wrist test).
    Renato