Code of Conduct
    Serpent

Default Serpent Doesn't Hate Everything: Prada for Men

So I finally got hold of the new Prada when I went to the Prada Epicenter. (It was much calmer today, and I finished going through the Waist Down exhibit - it really makes one appreciate what designers do to create their lines.) And they had the men's Prada today.

I am a big fan of the women's Prada, so I was actually expecting to dislike this. Why? Because my expectations were high. Anytime I expect to like something, somehow I'm always let down. (I refer you to MyQueen, Dior Homme, Scent Gloss, Terre d'Hermès, even YSL L'Homme.) But Prada for Men is really nice.

Side note: I don't think there's an official name. "AMBRE POUR HOMME" are the first words on the metal plaque and are capitalized, but "AMBRE" is the first word, capitalized, on the women's flacon, and no one calls that scent "Prada Ambre." The box just reads "Prada" on the tag, like the women's, and the back reads, "Eau de Toilette for Men." Prada prides itself on iconoclasm. I could see this house releasing a dozen scents all named just "Prada." I'm just calling this "Prada for Men" for now.

It's light, it's wearable, it's versatile. Is it groundbreaking? No. Did it take my breath away? Not really. But it's a lovely men's scent that is nice to smell, has a few intriguing twists and turns, and doesn't feel like an exact photocopy of something else (at least, maybe, until the very end). For most of the wearing, there seems to be a nice marriage of sweet (almost candied) citrus with translucent amber notes. Unlike the women's scent, though, Prada for Men doesn't go dark and animalic but stays crisp and fresh. This is what the Eau Tendre should have smelled like. Prada for Men is like a sunnier, citrus-enhanced cousin to the somewhat reticent Scent line by Costume National. The amber note at the base is almost identical to that in Scent, while, even though it isn't listed in anything I've read, Prada for Him smells strongly at one point of tea - real, pungent black tea, not the phony "tea" so many scents like to pass off.

This isn't a scent I could see with suits or on a night on the town, really. It's not terribly formal. But it is really easy to wear for casual moments, and it would compliment a wide range of men - or women. It's well-made and very pleasant. Also, for a masterbranded scent, it serves as a fitting compliment to its excellent (and very sexy) distaff counterpart. So it's not the new Égoïste or Eau d'Hermès; they don't all have to be.

So see? I don't hate everything...

Default Re: Serpent Doesn't Hate Everything: Prada for Men

Is it groundbreaking? No. Did it take my breath away? Not really.
    So you didn't like it as it was expected to be from you, didn't you?
    Jokes aside, thanks for the nice review Serpent!
    As you said I expected it to be not very formal. Also the feminine one isn't a formal scent to me, just something a woman can wear with a cachemire pull and a minimal skirt. So the same I expected to be from the male one. After all Miuccia always claimed herself to be understatedly elegant.
    I'm surprised you don't mention the suede note it's supposed to have: I was so curious to smell it just for this note... Hope however to find it around soon and give it a smell, why not, maybe in the Prada boutique.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    I'm surprised you don't mention the suede note it's supposed to have: I was so curious to smell it just for this note...
    I didn't mention the suede note because, well, I don't smell it. It's just not there on me. While the women's has a very prominent animalic nature, the men's does not, at least not on me. (And it's odd as the leathery quality of the women's - I guess it's the labdanum - is quite pronounced on my skin, moreso than on any of the women I've ever smelled it.)

The men's Prada, oddly, it so much lighter than the women's. It such an intriguing subversion of the gender roles, with the women's scent being very deep and sexual, and the men's scent being very light and almost neutered. (At one point, actually, it seemed almost floral.) In a way, they seem like they could - one might even go so far as to say should - be reversed, but then, isn't that the whole fun of Prada, the intellectual games with fashion and such?

That was what was so intriguing about the Waist Down exhibit: While Prada may cheapen out on things like the elastic wasitbands on their skirts, say, explaining why Helmut Lang and Jil Sander jumped ship as soon as Prada took over their companies, there is this whole intellectual process going on behind the production of something as seemingly banal as the print on a skirt. It's fascinating. I totally buy that Miuccia Prada said, "I want the men's fragrance to be emasculated in comparison to the women's scent." It's an artistic statement.

Yes, I'm overthinking this. But please understand, the Prada Epicenter is not a regular store. This place is like a whacked-out museum of overpriced purses and shoes with walls that magically go from clear to opaque and video displays hanging on the racks. It does things to one's head...

I've been wanting to try this one, too. As soon as the stores here get it, I'm going to try it. Yeah, there's those stupid smelling strips in magazines for it, but I want to sniff it in the real juice, as smelling strips never do a scent justice.

Unfortunately, both Von Maur and Macy's (actually, it's still L.S. Ayres, but I'm calling them Macy's now since they'll be Macy's on the 9th of Sept.) say that it won't be in until next month... that's what happens when you live in a kinda-sorta-big city like Fort Wayne. This is a city where things trickle slowly to us, always from that bigger city two hours southwest of us known as Indianapolis. For example, Verizon Wireless doesn't offer straight-to-your-cellphone music downloads here yet... can you hear me now?

BTW, I'm curious to hear what you think of Gaultier2...
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    BTW, I'm curious to hear what you think of Gaultier2...
    Oh, I have a nice fat sample of Gaultier² sitting here on my desk. Don't worry...