Code of Conduct
    Serpent

Default REVIEW: Gaultier▓

Gaultier▓ is easily one of the oddest scents I've ever encountered. The scent is supposedly meant to be a shared scent for lovers, hence the paired magnetic bottles and so forth. On that front, I can't see the scent as a success. This doesn't seem at all sexy to me. Gaultier▓ instead seems a rather solitary scent. It's terribly evocative, smelling of those cluttered, musty bedrooms filled with musty clothes and decades-old makeup (that old makeup note is well-known to anyone with even a passing familiarity with Jean Paul Gaultier Classique) and a cloud of evaporated perfume and cigarette smoke. There is life in Gaultier▓, but not writhing, active, passionate, dual life as Monsieur Gaultier would like to propose. Instead, it is departed life. Airless and bit mournful yet still somehow familiar and comforting, Gaultier▓ is as close as any fragrance has come to recreating the smell of cleaning out a dead loved one's closet. This isn't a slam against the scent. In fact, I find it so very engaging on an intellectual level. Frankly, the irony of a fragrance that's meant to be the ultimate smell of sexual partnership reminding me of a funeral home makes me smile - and, well, sort of worry about myself, but those are my issues.

Gaultier▓ strikes me as the sweet amber-musk base of Classique stripped of the big floral-and-powder top and heart notes. Sales associates will claim there are only three notes - amber, vanilla, and musk - but I get a little touch of cinnamon, and there are the faintest tart notes at the very outset at well. It sort of smells like someone took sugar cookie dough and mashed it into modeling clay, diluting the fatty, sweet sablÚ with the earthy smell, then baked it. It's not quite edible; it doesn't blow up into a full-on oriental explosion, which is a mercy as it has good volume. This is not at all a stretch for Gaultier, but at least the scent is smooth and wearable and like nothing anyone else has released lately and like no other scent concept, so the scent gets points for that.

As for the unisex question, I can't really see this as either masculine or feminine. This is what rooms smell like to me, not people. If I smell someone who smells like this, I tend to think, Did you pull those clothes out of the back of the closet? Are those a dead man's clothes? Did you not wash that after you bought it at the thrift shop? It's so strange. I can't say I would ever wear Gaultier▓, but the smell of it and the images it calls forth just endless fascinates me. It has to be easily the strangest release of the year.
    Last edited by Serpent; 14th August 2006 at 02:07 AM.

Default Re: REVIEW: Gaultier▓

Thanks for the review Serpent has always very insightful and full of imagery. I have to get myself to Bloomie's to sniff this one. Its just interesting that Gaultier would pull out the unisex concept with this scent when that has been such an "after fashion" of Ck one 90's.

Wearable Musc ravageur, I can't stop wearing this one. I love it!

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    Wearable Musc ravageur, I can't stop wearing this one. I love it!
    That's the scent: I kept thinking of which non-Gaultier scent Gaultier▓ recalled to me, and Musc Ravageur is exactly the one. Gaultier▓ is a dull brass to Musc Ravageur's brilliant gold, which might not be a bad thing as the Malle can be too much of a good thing. Gaultier▓ is, of course, drier, duskier. It's sort of like if Serge Lutens made Musc Ravageur...

Thrax

I am starting to think that me and Col are the only two that like this stuff.

Now I'm really intrigued - I love Musc Ravageur. A variation on the theme sounds interesting.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_Thrax
    I am starting to think that me and Col are the only two that like this stuff.
    1) MFfan310 famously loves this stuff.
    2) musclegod007 just wrote that he also love it.
    3) Please don't take it that I hate it. I just find it... bizarre. But bizarre in a makes-me-think way.

While I can't say that I'm completely in love with it, I find it very intriguing. I can't stop sniffing my wrist when I spray it on. I get a very faint grape bubblegum note mixed with musk and amber. It's sweet but more of a dry sweetness. I agree with Serpent in that it has elements of a Serge Lutens.

I'm afraid I just get vanilla-flavoured bubble gum with lots of chemicals from this one.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'HermŔs | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Nope, don't like it. Has that synthetic Le Male accord in the heart of the scent that irritates the hell out of me. Wish it would go away so i can enjoy the rest of the fragrance but it stays there, like a rash that gets itchier the more you scratch it.

I wear it from time to time (I actually wore it yesterday in the afternoon), but I can't say that it is very often. It seems straight forward but is quite strange. I've never been able to put it into words but I think Serpent did a good job. I can also see the Musc Ravageur reference, but I'd call this the children version. I also agree on that it is hardly a feminine scent, but neither is it a straight forward male scent either (but I'm gravitating towards this).

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    It's terribly evocative, smelling of those cluttered, musty bedrooms filled with musty clothes and decades-old makeup (that old makeup note is well-known to anyone with even a passing familiarity with Jean Paul Gaultier Classique) and a cloud of evaporated perfume and cigarette smoke. There is life in Gaultier▓, but not writhing, active, passionate, dual life as Monsieur Gaultier would like to propose. Instead, it is departed life.
    I think this is the best description of this scent I will ever read. I often associate amber-rich scents with old makeup-boxes and broken powder compacts, but now when you put it into words Gaultier2 really makes me think of a shady, abandoned room filled with loss. Although I still also think that "amber-bubblegum" I┤ve seen a couple of times makes sense.

In weirdness, this is comparable to Molinards Habanita for me. Even if I guess that one is considered a bold classic rather than an avant garde creation, it will always be strange, fascinating and beyond "good" or "bad" for me.

Gaultier2 again: No other scent, possibly because it is so recognizable, gives me such an impulse to point out to people what they are wearing. Last week I had to really bite my thongue not to grab hold of a man who was in front of me at the reception desk, and tell him "Sir, you are wearing Gaultier2". As if he didn┤t already know...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    That's the scent: I kept thinking of which non-Gaultier scent Gaultier▓ recalled to me, and Musc Ravageur is exactly the one. Gaultier▓ is a dull brass to Musc Ravageur's brilliant gold, which might not be a bad thing as the Malle can be too much of a good thing. Gaultier▓ is, of course, drier, duskier. It's sort of like if Serge Lutens made Musc Ravageur...
    Now this just makes me want to try it! I was uninterested before but the thought of a less densely sweet candied Musc Ravageur, given a 'Lutenesque' make over makes me drool...!

:ff to seek out samples::
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by vinterdroppe
    In weirdness, this is comparable to Molinards Habanita for me. Even if I guess that one is considered a bold classic rather than an avant garde creation, it will always be strange, fascinating and beyond "good" or "bad" for me.
    Habanita! There's another one, in addition to Musc Ravageur! That whole clouds-of-smoke-and-amber thing was reminiscent of something, but I just could not, for the life of me, figure out what. Thank you for putting it right for me! Gaultier▓ is not at all the dark, overwrought scent Habanita is, of course, but more a stripped-down, 21st century reinterpretation of it. There really seems to be that feeling of smoke somewhere in it, but it's very discreet.

For all the "Gaultier▓ reminds me of Musc Ravageur" and "Gaultier▓ reminds me of Habanita" I've posted, I will say that, in a way, the scent is rather unique (for a fashion designer scent) in it's solid, indivisible, monolithic character. There are almost no seams to the fragrance, and it changes very little. Eventually most of the mustiness goes away after several hours, and it smells like fairly straightforward amber. This lack of complexity is pretty much the reason people will or will not buy this scent, and the Gaultier folks are taking a huge gamble on this. I have to at least applaud a big design house for taking a risk on releasing a scent with such a risky proposition.

I don't know if it's just me but I don't get smokey anything really with this one. At first it comes off a lot like geir on my skin. Then it goes to a sweet thick smell. Also for some reason, much like geir, it comes off as a single chord of scent and I have a very hard time distinguishing notes as such.
    m