Code of Conduct

Default Marine/Aqua Scents

All,

I am trying to find some marine scents and have compiled the following list:

-Amouage Arcus: beautiful, but doesn't last long on me
    -Davidoff Cool Water: too popular
    -Montale Fougere Marine: just got today (thanks VJ)
    -CDP Aqua Motu: too sweet
    -Creed GIT: too popular (and green to me)
    -Creed Erolfa: SO doesn't like (I still may get it anyway...)
    -Creative Universe Mare: trying to find a sample

Did I miss anything? I'm beginnin to realize that marine scents are much like the citrus kind...they don't last long and most have a wood base. Problem is, I already have wood colognes.

TNMA

Serpent

Default Re: Marine/Aqua Scents

You missed a lot of them (and Green Irish Tweed is a marine scent - since when?), but I'll just mention my two favorites: Kenzo pour Homme and Eau des Merveilles.

And, then there is the very first marine scent...New West by Aramis. I am not a big fan of this one but many around here like it. I wouldn't call Merveilles a marine scent even though it is primarily ambergris. Marines to me have that salty iodine smell somewhere in the composition.

I am not a big fan of hardcore sea-weed smelling marine scents, but you may want to also try Bulgari Aqua.
    -

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    I wouldn't call Merveilles a marine scent even though it is primarily ambergris. Marines to me have that salty iodine smell somewhere in the composition.
    To me, Eau des Merveilles smells like the wind off the sea in winter. I get a very mineral, salty smell from it that is more natural and evocative of being by the sea than any plastic-fantastic fake "aquatic" scent like L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme or Bulgari Aqua or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    -Creative Universe Mare: trying to find a sample
    Vijay can probably give you a sample of this also. I bought Mare blind from him and it was one of the best investments I ever made. I'm a fresh/daytime/casual scent whore ... and this is up there with the best I own. I didn't like Aqua Motu, Kenzo PH (many say it lasts forever on them but I don't even get an hour out of it), Erolfa, well ... let's just say most marine scents. I also used to own Onus, but it had no depth to me and smelled too "familiar". You may want to find a sample of that if you can find it. Very marine.

But in my opinion, Mare is a "must have" if you like aquatics.
    Last edited by ziffy321; 14th August 2006 at 05:49 AM.

I can send you a 2.5ml sample of Mare for like...I dunno...3 bucks?

PM me if you're interested.

Thrax

I have to say Bulgari Aqua is the king of the aquatics. But I would call Bulgari Aqua a "marine" not an "aquatic."

Millesime Imperial !!!!!!!

[QUOTE= I'm a fresh/daytime/casual scent whore ... .[/QUOTE]

Nice to meet a fellow whore, ziffy!
    Last edited by Eau_Boy; 14th August 2006 at 06:32 AM.

Also don't forget My Ocean by Club Med...

And from Truefitt and Hill, we have:

Clubman that claims to have an "oceanic accord"....1805 which is "a fresh oceanic fragrance"...and Freshman which is "a fresh marine fougere"...

Also Rochas Aquaman.

- Cool water deep
    - L'eau par Kenzo
    - Un Jardin en méditerranée
    - Eau de Paco Rabanne
    guess those can be considered as marine or aquatic
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

I really think YSLs Live Jazz should be here too. I can't say I want to call it an aquatic but I connect it closely to several other scents mentioned already.

Hve you tried echo by davidoff? may be what you are looking for.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Are there any differences between "marine" and "aquatics" ?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante
    I would say so. It's been discussed here a few times, I've noticed.
    See here and here and especially here.

I'd say marine = oceanic = 'the sea' in some way - whether a sea breeze on a tropical island or a cold wind on a harbour front, or actual sea weed.
    Kenzo PH and Aqua Motu definitely have aspects of this.

Aquatics seem to equate more with fresh water than with salt water. L'Eau d'Issey, Acqua di Giò and Creed MI are along these lines - and since fresh water doesn't really smell like anything much, they tend to smell like flowers or fruit instead of water.

Erolfa and Bvlgari Aqva are somewhere inbetween, I think. I've yet to try Sandflowers, Mare, and Eau des Merveilles though.

Marine refers to scents that have a theme based on the sea, with notes such as sea-weed etc. while aquatics are fresh, clean scents that represent how clear fresh water would smell like if they had a scent. Personally, i don't see the need to distinguish the two, it just makes things more complicated, so unless there is a reason to break up the two terms, i just refer to marine and aquatics under one term. They're both water-based scents afterall.

Have you ever tried Puig's Aqua Quorum? It's a very potent spicy marine scent.
    It can sound strange, but I smell something marine in Fendi Uomo... Maybe the cumin reminds of some kind of seaweed??

Captain by Molyneaux..... one of my favorites that reminds me of the sea.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

If cool water is too popular try Cool Water Deep. It's spicier, it lasts a lot longer, and as per the name it has more depth. I always get compliments when I wear it.

Laguna - Dali
    Mare - Creative universe

Horizon - Guy Laroche

Nautica - Latitude Longitude

I think to top ones are Acqua Di Gio, Live Jazz, Bvlgari Aqva, Issey Miyake and Creed MI.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Dunhill Desire Blue is a great marine/aqua scent. It does not last well on my skin though.

Aquatic: Versace Metal Jeans & L'eau Par Kenzo

Marine: Kenzo PH & Creed's Erolfa
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Interesting point with the differentiation...in that case, I prefer aquatics!

[QUOTE=naranjito]I would say so. It's been discussed here a few times, I've noticed.
    See here and here and especially here.

I'd say marine = oceanic = 'the sea' in some way - whether a sea breeze on a tropical island or a cold wind on a harbour front, or actual sea weed.
    Kenzo PH and Aqua Motu definitely have aspects of this.

Aquatics seem to equate more with fresh water than with salt water. L'Eau d'Issey, Acqua di Giò and Creed MI are along these lines - and since fresh water doesn't really smell like anything much, they tend to smell like flowers or fruit instead of water.

marine = sea salt, algae

aquatic = cucumber, watermelon

Isn't cactus also a big ingredient for aquatics?

Aquatic would be something with main notes of a watery plant or fruit.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent
    marine = sea salt, algae

aquatic = cucumber, watermelon
    Good definition.

A couple that haven't been mentioned:

1. Caswell-Massey Newport -- very freshwater lake, if you're into that sort of thing
    2. Tommy Summer Cologne (2005) -- this one has a REAL nice beach vibe to it

Also, as one of the above-referenced threads mentions, Polo Blue is a nice aquatic in the watery-cucumber sense...

-Ronald

Creed Erolfa

Aramis New West

Both are superb.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Two interesting ones that are also a bit similar:
    Annick Goutal Vetiver - a very salty, iodine tinged vetiver scent. Can be a bit off-putting at first. You have to wait out the top notes.
    Montale Vetiver Sables - Similar in style, but much less agressive with the iodine. Also sweeter, and balanced with some subtle spices. I found this to be very long-lasting as well. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by baron

Annick Goutal Vetiver - a very salty, iodine tinged vetiver scent. Can be a bit off-putting at first. You have to wait out the top notes......
    I'd advise that this should never be bought blind. Obviously some people must like it (and full respect to them), but I reckon it's a pretty "acquired" taste. The most raw earthy vetiver I've ever smelt! Can this really be classed as aquatic?
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Can anyone help me out regarding the differences between Kenzo PH and L'eau Par Kenzo? I'm not even sure which one I have sampled (Got it in a 5ml manufacturer mini at home), and really liked. The reason being, is I'm in St. Louis on a trip, and I spotted some great clearance prices at the Sephora. I'm leaving tomorrow but they had L'Eau Par Kenzo for $16, Kenzoair for $15, Gendarme 4.0 OZ for $12, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Can anyone help me out regarding the differences between Kenzo PH and L'eau Par Kenzo? I'm not even sure which one I have sampled (Got it in a 5ml manufacturer mini at home), and really liked. The reason being, is I'm in St. Louis on a trip, and I spotted some great clearance prices at the Sephora. I'm leaving tomorrow but they had L'Eau Par Kenzo for $16, Kenzoair for $15, Gendarme 4.0 OZ for $12, etc.

LPK has a very nice Lemony opening. Soft greens and florals in the middle, with a little bit of vanilla/woods in the drydown.

Kenzo PH smells like seaweed to me. Almost, a little booze in there as well. Salty, very marine.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Try Bergamotto Marino Eau De Cologne by Ferre

I haven't smelled them recently, but to paraphrase my old note:

L'Eau par Kenzo is breezier. With Kenzo PH you are barefoot in the sand and the seawater is touching your toes. With L'Eau you are up on the sidewalk looking down at the beach, with the damp wind coming off the ocean washing over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos
    I haven't smelled them recently, but to paraphrase my old note:

L'Eau par Kenzo is breezier. With Kenzo PH you are barefoot in the sand and the seawater is touching your toes. With L'Eau you are up on the sidewalk looking down at the beach, with the damp wind coming off the ocean washing over you.
    Love the way you described it Carlos .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Question Re: Marine/Aqua Scents

Isn't Nautica Voyage an aquatic fragrance? A wonderful scent!
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Bulgari Aqua is a rock solid choice. Mare by Creative Universe is a really nice one too. Sleeper hit? Aquaman by Rochas. More distinctive than many aquatics due to the spiciness. It's one that I could easily discern from a quick sniff without thinking about it.

Oh, forgot one. Fougere Marine by Montale. Perfume strength by default. Great sillage, great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    Oh, forgot one. Fougere Marine by Montale. Perfume strength by default. Great sillage, great scent.

I just recently received a sample of Fougeres Marines...call me weird but I'm not getting any sort of marine/aquatic vibe from it at all. So much so, I've wondered if I received another cologne all together, based on what I've read for the reviews. Sweet and spicy, hardly anything resembling cool water or GIT. I'm confused...

TNMA

To follow my previous post; no one has mentioned anything about Amouage Arcus? It is definitely in the ballpark of what I'm searching for, except it seems to be very linear. Longevity seems to be good; any comments?

TNMA

Amouage Arcus. I have a sample of that one. Didn't really like it overmuch. Smelled a bit too much of that overripe melon rind as I smell in Beyond Paradise for men or, to a lesser extent, in Allure Sport.

Here's another I first tried just awhile ago. Wall Street by Bond No. 9. With a name like that you expect the smell of money. This smells like a basket of fresh oranges with seaweed draped over them. Sounds sorta nasty, but it's actually pretty nice stuff. Certainly worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    Here's another I first tried just awhile ago. Wall Street by Bond No. 9. With a name like that you expect the smell of money. This smells like a basket of fresh oranges with seaweed draped over them. Sounds sorta nasty, but it's actually pretty nice stuff. Certainly worth a look.
    I also get nice aquatic notes from Bond No. 9's Eau de New York.

Then there's Vintage Yachting Company, which is sort of a cross between Erolfa and AdG... they'll send you a sample for the price of postage: http://www.vintageyachting.com/

Two mass market ones to try: Aqua Brava Sea Power by Puig... not bad at all and extremely cheap; and Mediterraneo by Antonio Banderas -- I didn't care for that one at all, very one-dimensional but it does have some marine characteristics.

-R

Ahh, Eau de New York. That's actually the only other Bond No. 9 sample I have right now. When I first received it I let my wife have it to try. Smelled horrendous on her! I likened to freshly cut milkweed on a hot summer day. Bad, bad. She had to go wash it of soon after. Anyhow, I couldn't resist trying my first Bond No. 9. Actually worked out really nice on my skin. Very pleasant. To me it smells rather green and grassy. I literally think of lawn grass when I smell it. But I don't get anything at all aquatic out of it like I do Wall Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan
    Try Bergamotto Marino Eau De Cologne by Ferre
    this cologne migh be hard to find, as it is a limited edition fragrance intended for select hotels - btw it doesn't smell anything like "water" but it smells like bergamot and orange flowers, quite nice, inoffensive. downside: it doesn't last that long.