Code of Conduct

Question Cologne for waking up

I was out in my garden on the back steps drinking coffee this morning, cool breeze blowing, soft warm glow of the morning sun lighting everything up; and I thought. I want this in a bottle.

So we have a dominant coffee note, green and floral notes from the garden, soapiness right out of the shower, I live in a brick and cedar neighbourhood right beside a forest, we need a "cool breeze" note and we need the whole composition to have a warm glow.

Can anyone match that, new Haarlem looks like it might have some of that but I've never actually smelled it, the notes in DKNY Be Delicious also suggest what I'm talking about but I haven't given it a good chance, any other suggestions? I don't care if its niche, designer or Axe body spray.
    Last edited by JohnCase; 14th August 2006 at 11:27 AM.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Default Re: Cologne for waking up

What I can think of that comes closest is Very Irresistible, which combines green/fresh with hazelnut/moccha. Quite honestly your garden sounds alot nicer than Givenchy's offering, though.

My morning fav' is Etiquette Bleue, but rather because it smells like a young day somewhere in the Mediterranean and NOT an appartment in central Germany
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

L'Instant fits the notes (fresh "badian" crystals, citrus, warming up to coffee and wood) but I'm not sure if it actually captures what you are talking about.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I would reccomend Carrement Belle Alfred Kafé. It has notes of mint, bergamot, lavender and coffee. I think you may like it.

It is a comfortable scent and has good longevity as well.

I remember that http://www.lacremebeauty.com/ used to stock it.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Yes, i agree with the suggestions for L'Instant and VI. I'd also add the harder to find: Navagateur by L'Artisan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCase
    Can anyone match that, new Haarlem looks like it might have some of that but I've never actually smelled it, the notes in DKNY Be Delicious also suggest what I'm talking about but I haven't given it a good chance, any other suggestions? I don't care if its niche, designer or Axe body spray.
    I think that both of these are richer and sweeter than what you describe. They are more of an "cappucino-after-candlelight-dinner" coffees than the fresh breezey sunday-morning-newspaper-on-the-back-porch wake-up coffee. I think you may do better with Miracle Homme, which has some coffee elements in an overall crisp and vegetal body.

L'Eau du Navigateur is also a great rec, but again, its more sweet and creamy (though less heavy and sticky than New Haarlem, and less chaotic than VI)

As the_good_life put it, Givenchy V.I. best fits your description, but for me 4711 is the best wake up tonic out there.

I have V.I. Summer and you're right, its close but its notes are really creamy, it would be more like a starbucks store built in a garden. Does anyone know where I could find L'Eau du Navigateur; I've covetted it for quite some time. Any opinions on Escada Casual Friday?
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic. The coffee notes in the original are stronger, but they are subtle in both anyhow. L'Aquatonic has a green note.

Casual Friday is pretty strong and synthetic. The base is pretty woody; I didn't detect any green notes in it. Excellent duration.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I was out in my garden on the back steps drinking coffee this morning, cool breeze blowing, soft warm glow of the morning sun lighting everything up; and I thought. I want this in a bottle.

So we have a dominant coffee note, green and floral notes from the garden, soapiness right out of the shower, I live in a brick and cedar neighbourhood right beside a forest, we need a "cool breeze" note and we need the whole composition to have a warm glow.

Funny - both Be Delicious and New Harlem are meant to capture the hustle and bustle of New York - not exactly a lazy morning in the Maritimes.

I actually like New Harlem quite a bit, but its not really what you are looking for here. Good luck with this one. You might do better to try for the forest, breeze, etc in the fragrance and just breathe a little deeper from your coffee mug.

If you meant Navegar, it's available here.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

No, L'Eau du Navigateur is a discontinued L'artisan, look it up in the directory, sounds really nice. And in my defence I do live in the biggest "city" in New Brunswick
    -Arthur Miller

No, L'Eau du Navigateur is a discontinued L'artisan, look it up in the directory, sounds really nice. And in my defence I do live in the biggest "city" in New Brunswick
    Yup, it's discontinued and i got myself a huge 100ml bottle stashed away somewhere. It's my little piece of fragrance history. This was made early in the 80s, a time when frags shouted their presence without reservations. It's supposed to convey the image of a ship's cargohole laden with spices, cocoa and coffee. One spritz is enough for me and lasts the whole day. Powerful frag this.