Code of Conduct

Default Male scents that smell better on women

Hey - how comes there's no unisex fragrance discussion. I'd like to hear women's response to this. Is it oK to double post into the women's section?

Anyways, my fragrance knowledge is not encyclopaedic, but so far I've noticed that a couple of fragances smell horrid on me, but great on women.

First is Joop. It just makes me *sick*. I always liked the smell in the bottle, and I love that it's pink/purple, but on me it's horrid. My daughter loves it also because of the colour but she smells great in it. Also interestingly, is the fact that on me it lasts FOREVER. I swear it's still there after a shower. On her it lasts 10 minutes!

Then, there's 212 Men. My grandfather recieved a bottle as a gift and he gave it to me since he didn't like it. It smells great in the bottle, and what a cool bottle it is! But again, it's sickening on me.

A female friend came over and tried it and it smells wonderful on her. For several hours I kept being pleasantly surprised whenever the breeze blew my way.

Because of that, I bought her a bottle of the women's version. It smelled horrible, old lady, girly, disgusting. The men's version was much better. Feminine without being for old ladies.

Same woman, but this time Xeryus Rouge. It smells ok on me, not as revolting as joop or 212, but on her it's great. THe deeper scents came out more, while the sharper ones which I like less were more muted, as if it were made for female body chemistry. Why can't it smell like that on me?

Anyone have these experiences? Which fragrances? I suspect Pi works well on a woman.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 14th August 2006 at 06:17 PM.

Default Re: Male scents that smell better on women

Hi GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR!!!!

I think you're right... Joop! Homme is wonderful on a female co-worker who also wears Pi... in fact both are amazing on her....

Now I would like to try M7 and was hoping to get some input on it... but so far no luck whatsoever...

What do you guys think of it?
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I wore Eau Sauvage throughout my teens into my early 20s... Unfortunately I can't tell you whether it was better on me than on a man, but I absolutely loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Hi GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR!!!!

Now I would like to try M7 and was hoping to get some input on it... but so far no luck whatsoever...

What do you guys think of it?
    I haven't tried it myself yet, however the girl with the 212 men says she loves wearing it, and she used to go to the store and put samples of it on before work every day.

I think Opium Homme would smell good on a woman.

Other than for the most woody or leathery of scents, most light male scents would probably smell okay on a woman - since they're all far superior to most everything they wear at the moment.
    Renato

Pi is fantastic on women.

I really feel that Hanae Mori HM smells better on a woman. On me, the EDT smells like a cloying mess.

Burberry Brit also smells great on women.
    Last edited by teflondog; 14th August 2006 at 10:15 PM.

Dior Homme would smell great on a women. It smells like a womens perfume that I have smelt on girls a couple of times.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Hey, is Pi not considered Unisex? It doesn't say "pour homme" anywhere. Girls love it, it smells good on girls, etc. What makes it a man's fragrance?

I guess I could ask the same for Xeryus Rouge.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 14th August 2006 at 10:57 PM.

I like both A*men and Obsession for Men on women. There are many mens fragrances that can easily be worn by women.
    I also have worn Angel for women myself.
    I think most of these frags could be classified unisex anyway, though.

That's a good point - which women's perfumes are good for men?

Blog Entries

As most of you know, I predominately wear mens & unisex frags. As for strictly male scents (well, advertising-wise, of course) my favorite ones are Reaction, Happy, Pi, Brit, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Creed OV, Chrome, & CK Eternity Summer. I haven't gotten any complaints, just compliments!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to be greeted by a woman on a blind date wearing Kouros!!!! I dont know why Kouros i considered the epitome of masculinity because i think it is very heady and perfumey.....kind of like Chanel #5. I would also think Salvador Dali Pour Homme would be awesome on a woman as well.
    Awesomeguy

Thrax

As for womens scents on men, I wear Angel EDP quite often.

I don't know if it smells *better* on women, but I adore wearing Idole De Lubin. It's a gorgeous leather.

- Kathy -

I'll third Joop! A few weeks ago a girl came into my work and smelled wonderful... sillage for miles. I knew it smelt familiar, but I just couldn't place it. I finally broke down and asked her, and she said it was Joop!(!) It smelt so perfect on her with her little summer dress and whatnot. We had a little conversation, and she said she only wore male scents, her favorites being Joop!, KC Reaction, Pi, and Le Male (go figure). Alas, I haven't seen or smelt her since.

Wink Re: Male scents that smell better on women

Just purchased Givenchy Vetiver - wonderful for summer and office wear. I also layer it with Chanel Cristalle for a girly touch...

Blog Entries

I love most perfumes and luckily (or not) have chemistry which thrives on leather, incense, woods and spice.

Masculine scents that I wear VERY well are:
    Obsession pour homme
    Guerlain Vetiver / Eau Glacee
    Versace The Dreamer
    Halston Z-14
    Dana English Leather (+ the Spiced and Musk variations)
    Dior Eau Sauvage - I totally adore chypres and fougeres and this is one of the best!
    Crown Fougere
    Jasper Conran Man
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Chanel Egoiste - I actually prefer this to the original Bois des Iles
    YSL M7
    Givenchy Pi
    Coty Wild Woods
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine
    Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret Pour Homme
    Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme - very similar to Guerlain L'Instant pour homme
    Guerlain Heritage
    Lagerfeld Classic
    Crown Town & Country

...and so on...

Women's fragrances I recommend men to try are:
    YSL Nu EDP - a softer more floral take on the M7 theme
    Dana Tabu
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew
    TBS Woody Sandalwood - wonderful in winter
    TBS Japanese Musk - sharp green chypre white floral opening b ut wait for the creamy, smooth, uber clean cedarwood drydown! Lasts for ages.
    Chanel Cuir de Russie - cross between Bois des Iles / Egoiste & Dana English Leather
    Jasper Conran Woman - starts out sharply citrus lemony but base is woody smooth musk. I am always taken aback at how 'masculine' this smells straight from the bottle and on dry down.
    Must de Cartier parfum - dark, incensy, resinous on a direct par with M7
    Must de Cartier EDT - a great orange blossom dominated oriental with deep amber wood drydown.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Some men's I wear (there are undoubtedly more--leaving out those that are wisely designated "unisex"):
    Caron Yatagan
    Caron 3rd Man
    Caron l'Anarchiste
    Caron Pour Homme
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Versace Dreamer
    YSL M7
    KenzoAir
    LV Vetiver
    MPG Vetiver Bourbon
    Farina Russich Leder
    Coty Wild Woods
    Knize 10
    Creed Royal English Leather

So many. I honestly think most of what we now call "oriental" scents would have been considered strictly for women just a few decades ago (at least in the western world - that's all I can speak to). The sweetness, vanilla/benzoin, and floral notes would have put our fathers/grandfathers off. Anyway, at the top of my list (not all orientals):

Habit Rouge, Body Kouros, Pi, Le Male (ironically I guess), Hanae Mori, M7, Kouros, Original Santal, Dupont Signature Pour Homme, pretty much anything by Laura Biagiotti or Masak´ Matsush´ma...

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    So many. I honestly think most of what we now call "oriental" scents would have been considered strictly for women just a few decades ago (at least in the western world - that's all I can speak to). The sweetness, vanilla/benzoin, and floral notes would have put our fathers/grandfathers off.
    Indeed. Not just orientals, but almost half of what's out today for men is really sweet and full of candy, and even 20 years ago would put off most guys. Heck, even today alot of it puts of most guys!

All this makes me wonder - is there some commercial advantage of laelling something Pour Homme instead of unisex? Doesn't a unisex fragrance have double the potential buyers? Look at all the frangrances being listed here. Why would the companies bother labeling them for men (or for women in the reverse cases)?

my wife smells great with my kouros fraicher on, really dirty,unwashed and sexual! also the original lacoste in the white bottle works well on her, she does sometimes sprays on my Balmain Monsieur which works surprisingly well.

However I also borrow her chanel no 19 and even better jlo miami glo is tops on a man with all the coconut and burnt sand!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Monsiuer Givenchy smells great on women. I read somewhere that Greta Garbo wears this fragrance on occasions.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS