Code of Conduct

Default House Referendum -- Yves Saint Laurent

Scents by Yves Saint Laurent are the subject of Basenotes’s second house referendum revival thread. The first of the house referendum revival was the French niche house L’Artisan Parfumeur, and readers interested in what a house referendum thread is can read how it’s done by clicking on the L’Artisan thread (http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=183823). The point here is to have a fully developed discussion of properties and theories of properties of the house and its products. General reviews are in order, specific reviews are in order, statements of discontent with the house are in order, laments that today isn’t as good as yesteryear are in order as is the reverse, and any dang simple way you, gentle reader, want to get involved and can contribute is in highest order. So think of one thing you can contribute right now, one thing you find you don’t think is quite right by your experience as you read the posts here, and think of one thing that will help someone else reading here after you. Make the site and this thread better for your visit. Contribute.

Here’s a list of the house’s scents for men, according to the Basenotes directory, broken into decade groups:

YSL pour Homme 1971

Kouros 1981
    YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration 1983
    Kouros Eau de Sport 1986
    Jazz 1988

Jazz Prestige 1993
    Kouros Fraîcheur 1993
    Opium pour Homme 1995
    Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum 1995
    Live Jazz 1998

Body Kouros 2000
    Kouros Eau d’Ete 2002
    M7 2002
    Kouros Cologne Sport
    Rive Gauche pour Homme 2003
    Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense 2003
    Kouros Sport Eau d’Ete 2004
    M7 Fresh 2004
    Rive Gauche pour Homme Light 2004
    L’Homme 2006

For men and women to share:
    Eau Libre 1975

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: House Referendum -- Yves Saint Laurent

Yves Saint Laurent men’s fragrances nicely represent a range of the standard marketing strategies: Scents created straight for men; scents labeled men’s versions of the house’s big selling women’s scents; eau de parfum strength versions of scents for men; multiple derivatives of successful scents (Eau d’Ete, eau de sport, fraicheur, prestige, fresh); and also, and best of all, just plain high quality and creative scents.

YSL scent releases reflect the growth of the market. One men’s scent release was enough for all the 1970s. Four were enough for the decade of the eighties. Five more came out in the nineties, and nine came out in the first seven years of the 2000s. All told, ten YSL scents for men were released in the twenty-seven years from 1971 to 1998, and just as many--the next ten--were released in the seven years between 2000 and 2006. That shows the mushrooming of the men’s scent market as told through one of the highest volume, quality concerned, and resource rich world mass market designer firms.

This doesn’t include the now-discontinued shared scent of 1975, Eau Libre, or either Nu Eau de Toilette or Nu Eau de Parfum of 2001 and 2002 respectively, which are often argued to be dark and woody enough for men to wear.

Basenotes members know that Yves Saint Laurent’s scents for men are resoundingly popular and comment worthy on this forum. There are more winners in this designer’s house than losers (or argue?), and even which are losers is up to never ending thread generation (Kouros). Longstanding Basenotes members will recognize that the house makes some sleeper scents too, fragrances that get revulsion when they’re first released, but months or a year later are resounding winners (Rive Gauche pour Homme). Basenotes members know that the house uses the names of its popular fragrances to help market different scent creations (the best selling Kouros’s name is tacked onto an unrelated scent giving us Body Kouros).

There’s a lot to comment on in the YSL house, and none of you readers really need any of my idea help to find something. All the same, I’d very much like it if anyone who’s worn the discontinued Eau Libre could write a review of it, and if men who wear and love Nu could write reviews of it and stories of their experiences living in it.

Have at it. This thread will come to define the concepts of how a man should smell according to this house. What kind of job are its hired perfumers doing?

--Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 11th September 2006 at 05:46 PM.

note: my comments are based on the mens fragrances only

For me, this is THE star designer house - each of their offerings is comment worthy. From the versatile Live Jazz, the controversial Kouros, the slick M7 to the grand YSL pour homme, almost all the male fragrances are unique and very wearable.

Also, unlike other big houses like Chanel, Guerlain, and Caron YSL devotes equal effort and devotion to releasing both mens and womens fragrances....you wont have to wait a decade before the next mens fragrance release, unlike the aforementioned houses.
    Last edited by zztopp; 15th August 2006 at 01:26 AM.
    -

This is definitely one of my favorite houses. Every fragrance released so far is unique and has character to it. There are no boring scents from this house and that is what I love about it. Even the variations of scents are well worth mentioning. So with that I'll dive right into it.

M7 - I was in Marshalls when I opened the package (we're not supposed to do that?) and sprayed it on me. I was undecided at first so I walked around a little bit. I smelt it later and decided, I must have this. I thought it smelt like a fireplace or something similar to a fireplace. I went back and got an unopened box (whoops) and proceeded to pay the $20. This scent is a comfort scent to me. If I have trouble sleeping, I spray some of this on my body and my pillow and I fall asleep. I can understand how some people cannot like this, but it will always have its place in my collection.

M7 Fresh - The lighter brother of the bold and beautiful M7. This is just as good as the original and is expertly fine tuned to make it fresher. When I go to Europe there is no way I'm leaving without a bottle of this golden liquid.

Body Kouros - This is a great scent and I love the smell of it. I cannot even describe this scent. All I can say is I get hit with incense and I love it. Reminds me of a stronger Bvlgari Black, but not quite so. They're different enough from eachother to justify owning both....and I do . This is a scent for a night out. This is how to draw positive attention to yourself. This will set you apart from everyother guy wearing Gucci Envy or A*Men in the clubs. This is a must have in every collection.

Live Jazz - I do not own this scent but I have a sample. This is a great fresh scent and perhaps one of my favorites. I put it on and immediately get hit by the uplifting cirtus scent. This one last a decent amount of time on me as well. It is different from every other citrus scent I have tried on because of the cilantro. Some people say they don't like the cilantro note. I say bravo to YSL because it actually makes the scent more unique. I am planning to get a bottle of this for next spring/summer.

Jazz - I also do not own a bottle of this but I have a sample. This is a great fromal scent in my opinion. I love the foral and leather combination. I can see how some people would see it as smelling dated, but I don't even care. If I'm 16 and can wear this with confidence, anyone here should be able to as well. I am also planning to buy a bottle of this.

YSL fragrances I plan on getting soon:

1. Opium PH - For this coming fall/winter
    2. Kouros Cologne Sport - For next spring/summer
    3. Rive Gauche PH - For this coming winter/fall
    4. YSL PH - For this coming spring/summer

I also plan on testing out the legendary Kouros.

So after reviewing my list I plan on owning almost every YSL fragrance there is for men. There's a reason for that too. It's because this house has so much to offer if you keep an open mind and an open nose. If you don't like them the first time, go back and try it again. You'll be greatly rewarded when you like the fragrances as I am positive they will grow on you.

I have one complaint about YSL. Why won't they produce M7 Fresh in the US. How frustrating.

Another poster said it, they are the top of the line Designer fragrance line. Unique fragrances that could almost be considered niche, they do it, do it well and for a reasonable price.

I also agree about the availability of M7 Fresh in the US. It is a little ridiculous.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    I also agree about the availability of M7 Fresh in the US. It is a little ridiculous.
    Okay, I'm going to have to do my Little Black Raincloud thing: There's a reason M7 Fresh is not available in America. A good reason. It was sold in the YSL boutiques in America its first season in production, and it must not have sold well. M7 itself sold so poorly it was, for a time, pulled even from the YSL boutiques in the United States (along with Rive Gauche pour Homme). It's just not a scent that sells well in America.

Guys on this board like the M7 line. I myself like it; I own it, and I like it so much, I've given it to my dad, who loves it. But Americans as a large group of people - they don't seem to dig it. YSL had to make a financial decision to continue to import a scent over here and try to stock and sell it an indifferent market or just save their money and cut it out of the market. For the few dozen bottles their boutiques would sell each year - M7 Fresh is a seasonal offering, remember - it makes no sense, really, to carry it in a market largely unexposed to or disinclined to buy the parent fragrance. It's a financial decision for their well-being, nothing more or less.

They made some huge, huge blunders in the launch of M7 - penis is not the way to sell cologne - and the scent itself is divisive. But, barring a wholesale relaunch of the scent, M7 is almost certainly destined to remain the obscurity it is in America, and M7 Fresh will not return from its one brief summer a few years ago.
    Last edited by Serpent; 15th August 2006 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent

They made some huge, huge blunders in the launch of M7 - penis is not the way to sell cologne - and the scent itself is divisive.
    I dont get it ... why show penis when promoting a mens fragrance ? A woman on top would have resulted in brisk sales though
    -

YSL is probably the only line for me where everything is at least a must try, but not necessarily a must buy. I don't really see a common thread in YSL frags like I do in say Dior (inventive use of flowers), but I think they make pretty interesting frags, and a few of them are wearable.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    YSL Pour Homme - Lemon frag in the Eau Sauvage/Acqua di Parma vein. Duration is very good for something so refreshing. Cleaner than the Haute Concentration. ****

YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentrate - For me, the masterpiece of the YSL line. Takes verbena and makes it dirty. Phenomenal duration. While the original I think is in this day pretty unisex, the dirtiness of the thyme in the Haute Concentrate makes it masculine. *****

Kouros - An acquired taste. I have not experienced any of the foul notes mentioned by others on the board with this. What I do like is that it is a challenging scent to figure out. Is it vanilla-like, is it spicy, is it clean? I get the "dryer sheet" phenomenon on my skin with this.I can't say I like it and I can't say I hate it. Neutral. ***

Kouros Fraicheur - (aside: I cannot spell Fraicheur for the life of me and by god I'm not going to put a circumflex on something.) I think this is vastly superior to Kouros. For me, Kouros is the fresh scent, and KF is the harsh one. Once sprayed it comes off quite harshly. I guess this is due to the unusual fruit notes combined with the incense. It dries down to an amber and finally a vetiver note. As much as I love it, I have to caution myself from applying too much as one time someone dissed what I was wearing as cleaning product. Still.... *****

Jazz - Now that Tsar's formula has been changed, Jazz is better than Tsar. I think I and everyone else on the board has compared these two thousands of times. I think Tsar could actually be compared more to Ungaro I and Yatagan with its pine note. (There seem to be more comparisons between XS & Himalaya lately).
    I really cannot describe the fragrance, but there is a rose core to it. Moderate duration, but very elegant. ****

Opium for Men - The one from the YSL line that I just don't like. What puts me off I think is the ginger note. I detect the same note in Jako, and it doesn't work for me in Lagerfeld's unusual frag, and it doesn't work for me here. It is pretty thick and spicy, yeah. This is one where I want to like it so bad, but it just fails on me. Egoiste or Dupont's Signature does the trick for me more... Refused to buy, a rarity for me. **

Live Jazz - Has finally received some ribbing on the board after being universally praised. Although I find it delightful, it was good to see some new thought on the matter, and I guess it made me deconstruct the frag much to my dismay at first. The coriander note is definitely the strongest part of the frag and if you don't like that spice, well, you're pretty much SOL re: Live Jazz. I sprayed this liberally on me one day and sat on the sofa. The next day when I came back, I still smelled the coriander. That made me realize, jeez there's a lot of one note, and maybe that is too much... but it is the scent as a whole that I have come to enjoy and I have stopped trying to deconstruct it. It might be an analytical downward spiral for pretty much every frag; everything has too much of something.

Anyhow, it is very very refreshing during the summer. But I find it wears best on me during the cooler months, but tends to be a little on the casual side. The coriander makes the fragrance frosty, more so than the mint component. The leather is subtle and durable... it is more like a musk than something you would find in Cuiron or Dunhill '34. I think for those who like Issey (the original one), Live Jazz would be a next step.

Amazing, but don't think about it. It's a joie de vivre frag after all. *****

Kouros Cologne Sport - You know, I got this frag this summer when I had to blow a gift certificate, and I still don't know what to make of it. There are some citric elements in the top notes, and I wish they were a lot more pronounced. The frag just dies on my skin pretty quickly. It is nice and etherial for the few seconds it lasts. Sorry, but the duration is the killer for me with this. Maybe it will last longer in colder weather, like Live Jazz. **

Body Kouros - My favorite frag for a year. It is consistenly a comforting fragrance for me. It manages to straddle the boundary between being a cool frag and a warm frag (I think leaning slightly on the cool side) as well as powdery vs. spicy (I think leaning on the spicy side). Very much in the vein of Joop and Le Male but quite wearable. Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge is also along the same lines. Downside is that it is unrepentingly linear and can get boring. Don't wear it as often as I used to, but that is a good thing, as it is still *****.

Kouros Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete (2003) - When I got this I found it to be simply Kouros Light. Probably pretty wearable for those who find Kouros too strong. I don't have that problem. Traded it away. From what I understand you can wear this one in the sun without getting marks on your skin. ***

Mr. 7 - Paying full retail for an overhyped frag on BN was a hard lesson. I totally understand that this is a "unique" fragrance and I can see the quality and all that, but, well, I just don't care for agarwood. I don't like it in Habit Rouge EDP and I don't like it here. It is an interesting note to see in a frag, but, well it is just not me. Unfortunately since I paid so much for it I'm loathe to trade it away. Still I wear it now & then. The base once you get past the infernal sweetness of the agarwood is a subtle amber a la Azzaro Pour Homme. I like to lounge around the house and wear M7, but that is really it. **

Rive Gauche Pour Homme (plain old version) - Heretics unite! Heaven knows why this is perceived to be the holy grail by many. I think it may be due to others getting bitten while wearing this frag. Well none have bitten me, but I'm not exactly the charismatic type. I think it is a good fragrance, but to be honest, it is utterly derivative.

Compare it to Brut and Azzaro. I can see how RG might be considered an improvement though. Brut is pretty floral on my skin. I could see how others don't care for that. RG dries down dirty while Brut dries down pretty cleanly. Azzaro is just plain old too subtle, even for me, and the top notes can be just nasty. RG's duration is pretty darn good, and the can is unique too. Nevertheless I don't find myself wearing RG, and I think that is a shame because it really is a solid perfomer.

What drives me to Brut is that it is just a lot more fun to wear. First of all, there is the knowledge that there have to be several million BN'ers who are screaming in disgust that I am wearing Brut. This, of course, is enough to wear it in perpetuity.

But seriously, there seems to be a straightforwardness and brusqueness of the florals in Brut which is a hell of a lot more fun and pleasurable to wear than the complexity of RG. I simply enjoy smelling Brut more than RG. Sorry to say, I'm going to hang out with Bubba at the bar with Byron at the coffee house. Nevertheless: ****.

L'Homme - I'm reserving judgment on YSL L'Homme (or whatever it will be called). I am horribly prejudiced though. I'm not a fan of YSL's ginger note in Opium so I'm not hopeful.

I still have yet to try M7 Fresh, Jazz Prestige or that shared one I never heard of before and will probably never see so may the schartz be with you if you find it.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Cool Re: House Referendum -- Yves Saint Laurent

I'll start with the 1st fragrance that I've choosen to my self & purchased from my own savings.

it was JAZZ in 1988 & I was 12, the black & white chuncky bottle striked my eyes..loved the smooth plastic texture of the bottle as much as i loved my dad Kouros ultra smooth bottle, I tried it on my hands & I decided that it is for me to stand out of the crowd when the air was full of the harshness of Drakar Noir & Dior's Fahernhite.. - Rose & Carnation notes gives it a romantic touch- & I started to get my early compliments, which excited me to know more about perfumes & YSL..

I am praying every summer to see a new limited edition of this hidden gem which needs to be re-discovered again, I get really dissapointed & fed up of seeing KOUROS every summer with same juice & different packaging.

JAZZ PRESTIGE: two splashes of this & you'll get all the 'Prestige' of the world, I love this ultra mature, rich & luxirious juice.. the lavender notes in it are blended beautfuly... great for showing up in your tuxedo.. I love it ..love it .. love it.. I wish to see it back again.

LIVE JAZZ: this fragrance was under Hedi Slimane when he started doing YSL Homme, it is my fav. fragrance for work place, the mint notes does refresh my brain & makes me feel clean & fresh by the end of the day..
    it is great for day & summer in a chic way without being too aqua-marine or citrusy.

''

I have noted that the original JAZZ formula smells different in the new packaging.
    what I wish from YSL is to re-introduce JAZZ in its original packaging & formula which I found it more true to what YVES SAINT LAURENT is.

JAZZ is a safe & chic fragrance for everyday use , my hopes from 'YSL Beaute' again is to give it more attention & refresh its image as they did with the king 'KOUROS'.
    Last edited by tariq; 15th August 2006 at 07:37 AM.

Okay, I'm going to have to do my Little Black Raincloud thing: There's a reason M7 Fresh is not available in America. A good reason. It was sold in the YSL boutiques in America its first season in production, and it must not have sold well. M7 itself sold so poorly it was, for a time, pulled even from the YSL boutiques in the United States (along with Rive Gauche pour Homme). It's just not a scent that sells well in America.

Guys on this board like the M7 line. I myself like it; I own it, and I like it so much, I've given it to my dad, who loves it. But Americans as a large group of people - they don't seem to dig it. YSL had to make a financial decision to continue to import a scent over here and try to stock and sell it an indifferent market or just save their money and cut it out of the market. For the few dozen bottles their boutiques would sell each year - M7 Fresh is a seasonal offering, remember - it makes no sense, really, to carry it in a market largely unexposed to or disinclined to buy the parent fragrance. It's a financial decision for their well-being, nothing more or less.

They made some huge, huge blunders in the launch of M7 - penis is not the way to sell cologne - and the scent itself is divisive. But, barring a wholesale relaunch of the scent, M7 is almost certainly destined to remain the obscurity it is in America, and M7 Fresh will not return from its one brief summer a few years ago.

All so very true. I just wish an online retailer in the U.S. had it for sale or something. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    All so very true. I just wish an online retailer in the U.S. had it for sale or something. Ah well.
    Is it as good as people say it is? I recall a few weeks ago many basenoters were hunting for Davidoffs Relax, a scent supposedly one of the finest ever. I tried a decant, and was perplexed as to why that scent is so highly regarded here
    -

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Is it as good as people say it is?
    My two scents: It didn't blow me away. It was another fresh scent - sort of grapefruit-like type, a little ozonic, that whole vibe - but with the muted agarwood M7 base at the finish. I thought it was all sort of ill-fitted myself. After all, M7 is sort of the antithesis of fresh, so M7 Fresh really is a paradox of a fragrance. I thought Rive Gauche pour Homme Fresh worked better (though still not well) than M7 Fresh. I don't know where the whole current craze on the board originates from, but I suspect its unavailability plays into a lot of it. M7 Fresh has almost reached Golden Calf status...

Is it as good as people say it is? I recall a few weeks ago many basenoters were hunting for Davidoffs Relax, a scent supposedly one of the finest ever. I tried a decant, and was perplexed as to why that scent is so highly regarded here

I like the fact that it's a little different from every other fresh scent in that it has some of the original in it. I love M7 and M7 fresh has a toned down base of M7, so naturally I would like it. As Serpent said it could be the whole "wanting what you can't have". It's possible, but for me I know I just like the scent.

I only own Body Kouros (got it recently blindly). I have to say, I was a bit let down. It smells like something you'd rub on yourself when you have a muscle ache. Maybe my nose isn't conditioned enough for the notes in here, but I just don't think they work. The top note of eucalyptus at first smell very "hot", almost minty like that vicks stuff you put on your chest when you have a cold, but then it dries down and you still have this weird medicinal smell. I can detect the incense as some people have said, but it's fleeting and negligable. I read this fragrance is targeted more to younger men, but I still don't see myself wearing this. I don't feel comfortable wearing it, so maybe it's just my nose/body chemistry and not the scent itself.

I'm swapping this one away.

I've moved the off topic and objections posts to this thread here:

Objections to the YSL referendum & off topic

Please keep posts in this thread to the original brief.

Thanks

My relationship with Parfums Yves Saint Laurent is a long one, it started when I was thirteen and got a Rive Gauche gift set (bath gel, body lotion and parfum) for Christmas. Anaïs Anaïs EdT (which I got at the same time) was my everyday scent, Rive Gauche was my "special occasion" scent. After I had used up my precious perfume years later, I bought an EdT but it just wasn't the same and I gave it away. Later the formula has been changed so I can never revisit one of my first fragrance loves again.

Opium was my next YSL, I wore it from sixteen to eighteen, when I found Coco and never went back to Opium. Sorry, Opium!

After Opium things were quiet for me on the YSL front. I've never liked Paris and didn't fall for Yvresse (then Champagne), either, until years after its launch when I got a mini. Enjoyed it very much as a cheerful and uplifting office scent, but never bought a full bottle...

Live Jazz was love at first sniff and has stayed with me, I wore it exclusively for summer 1999 and still enjoy it on a hot weather.

Nu EdP was sneaky, I wasn't really interested in it but got a sample and a little soap and when I tested it I was very impressed. Since it's one of Mr Tigs's biggest faves (he wears M7 which is a perfect match with Nu) I have gone through two bottles of EdP and one bottle of body lotion... Must add though that I can't stand the EdT version.

Last but not least: Y. Y is YSL's oldest scent (launched in 1964), a timeless, elegant fruity Chypre, an unknown Classic. Not too "bigger-than-life" for the office, not too casual for the evening. Nicely "outdoorsy", very lovely.

Summa summarum: though I love some YSL scents it is doesn't make it to My Favourite Houses list. My biggest loves are elsewhere...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 16th August 2006 at 06:56 PM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

YSL is an amazing house. I don't know much about the history of this house, as I am relatively new to its wonderful creations. They make unique scents I already own 2 and I'm going for more.

Live Jazz - a powdery/fresh scent. It is a wonderful summer fragrace. It is a semi-romantic scent. It is ok for casual dating on warm summer nights. It brings me many compliments. It is one of the lesser known fresh scents so you will not have to compete with many people for originality.

M7 - arguably the most unique scent created. It is a wonderful woody scent with the most distinct notes. I'm not sure what it is but it is lovely. Best for fall/winter climates. I would prefer it for fall because it is pretty dry. There are no warm notes in this one. It is just a great fall scent.

M7 Fresh - a lovely spin on M7. It is the fresh version but it is not all that fresh. It is pretty sweet on my skin. The lasting power is not as great as the other two I mentioned but it is just as good. I would compare this one to Fruity Pebbles when I first put it on. It is really good for casual wear durring warm days. It wears close and smells great.

I really like this house because of how original everything is. I am missing some really good scents but I can't give the best reviews for them. There are so many more to mention in this house. It is right near the top in my book.

Serpent

There are women's scent involved here, too...

Opium starts with hard, stiff, masculine notes of citrus and spice, then yields to soft, traditional powdery feminine notes. It's as if it says, "I'm as strong as a man, but I'll still yield to him." It is the most anti-feminist fragrance of all time. It's almost offensive. That's why men found it so damn sexy in the late 1970s. It has the illusion of power for women and the hidden promise of submission for men. It's a brilliant creation. The red laquer parfum bottle is designed after a traditional Japanese inro and is one of the greatest perfume bottles of all time.

Yvresse was originally released as Champagne until a lawsuit in France prompted the scent to be pulled from counters. It never was rereleased en masse in much of the world, though many women still have fond memories of Champagne, not knowing that Yvresse (a play on the French "ivresse," or "drunkenness") is the same scent. This is reportedly Yves Saint Laurent's favorite fragrance of his whole line. Yvresse is the smell of careless abandon. It never, ever fails to make me smile when I smell it. The bottle is based on a champagne cork, complete with wiring and metal cap, another exemplar of YSL's beautiful attention to flacon design.

Paris is what love smells like. Enough said.

If there's one thing that can be said about YSL in general, overall- it's that they are consistent and have yet to produce anything that is unanamously despised. They are, I would say the most popular "designer" (non-niche) brand going. Not many other designer houses have produced as many widely regarded "classics" (even those from the past 7 years). The sheer number of Kouros, M7 or RG threads on this board are proof. When I think of the other highly regarded designer houses, Dior, Armani etc.. It's easy to say they have lots of classics, but they also have lots of "so-so" frags. (aramani city glam, dior higher) Basically the filler those other houses put out, just so they always have something "new and now" at the counter is what i'm talking about. You don't really see that with YSL. People even regard the spin offs- like M7 fresh or body kouros as gems. I'm not saying they're perfect, I own Opium and RG and a decant of M7 so i can't speak for all of their products, but from what i read on this board on a daily basis, I would say they are one of our most loved- if not the most loved, of the non niche, widely available designer fragrance houses.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

......M7 Fresh. I don't know where the whole current craze on the board originates from, but I suspect its unavailability plays into a lot of it. M7 Fresh has almost reached Golden Calf status...
    LoL! I think that's very true. Here in UK it is easily available and I got some just the other day. My verdict: well, it's a reasonably nice fragrance, but not in the premier league. It's got a nice drydown.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    They are, I would say the most popular "designer" (non-niche) brand going.
    I think two brands could easily challenge that: Chanel and Guerlain. (Outside chance, Comme des Garçons, also a designer.)

Unfortunately, Sephora in San Francisco doesn't have a SINGLE YSL scent on their shelves...which is too bad, as I think they are very high quality, distinctive frags.

Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    They are, I would say the most popular "designer" (non-niche) brand going.

I think two brands could easily challenge that: Chanel and Guerlain. (Outside chance, Comme des Garçons, also a designer.)
    Where "designer" frags is concerned, then Hermès rules!

But respect to all you who love YSL. Each to his own!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Where "designer" frags is concerned, then Hermès rules!
    I have more Hermès than any other house. I love, love, love Hermès. I can't see how they slipped under my radar. But, viewed in totality - men's and women's - I still think Chanel and Guerlain have stronger lineups. (Chanel has fewer scents, true, but look at those scents. Damn.) Hermès' women's selection isn't quite as strong as the men's, in my opinion, though Eau des Merveilles did much to bolster their portfolio. And if they would release an eau de parfum of Doblis into the full line...

But where were we? YSL?

Quote Originally Posted by conehead
    Unfortunately, Sephora in San Francisco doesn't have a SINGLE YSL scent on their shelves...which is too bad, as I think they are very high quality, distinctive frags.
    Wow, the Sephora near me in White Plains, NY has Kouros, Kouros Cologne Sport, Body Kouros, and Rive Gauche. Interesting that different stores in the same chain would have such different selections.

But this brings up another issue with YSL--their distribution seems really poor. The Macys and Bloomingdales near me only carry Kouros and the Nordstroms does not carry any of the YSL men's line. I've never seen M7 in a store (except for its brief appearance at Marshalls/TJ Maxx), and the unavailability of M7 Fresh in the US has been decried here regularly.

On one level, I enjoy the fact that people in my area can not buy M7 or Rive Gauche on any street corner, but in terms of the health of a fragrance brand I love it is worrisome.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    I've never seen M7 in a store (except for its brief appearance at Marshalls/TJ Maxx), and the unavailability of M7 Fresh in the US has been decried here regularly.

--Steve
    This sounds so weird to anyone here in England. M7 and M7 Fresh are very easily available. I got my M7 Fresh locally, not even in London itself but here in Croydon! £32 for 50ml.

Why do they deny it to you guys over the pond? It does seem a bit unfair and someone somewhere at YSL has made a bad business decision if the comments on this board are anything to go by!

Wardrobe / Reviews

YSL reviews.

My YSL history starts with Kouros. Starts with seeing the ads for it in GQ magazine timed to the half-year after Kouros was released. I had to sneak peeks at GQ magazine at friends’ houses, and make them short peeks because I didn’t want anyone to think I was as fascinated by them (and thus vain! Horrors!) as I was. Kouros was there, and I was in tenth-grade in high school in a northern Midwestern American city. An aloof guy who I wanted to be my friend wore it. He was a year ahead of me in school and had that damn preppy trend first time through thing down pat. I was stuck back in Polo and Z-14. He could talk about how “it’s Kouros” when I’d get to join the cool gang’s lunch table and say it with a straight face just like someone who has crossed the class and money divide and can say of course I have a Mercedes-Benz.

I sneaked sniffs from a bottle itself as I tried to casually pass by the fragrance counter of one of the downtown department stores. Big, bold, airy, powerful—grand—and so much perfect blue sky type adventure in that white square shouldered bottle. But 15 US dollars for a large bottle? You’ve got to be kidding me—that’s outrageous! My allowance is only five dollars! I got Polo by trading my friend a sweater he wanted. Z-14 came gratis à la Mama, but Kouros? Bummer.

Even after my Basenotes phase set in four or five years ago I didn’t pick up Kouros though. Sometimes there are scents that are so perfect and wonderful for me that they answer everything my nose would want to smell. They’re ones I know I’ll buy but I don’t, because they’re so perfect buying them would be normal and wearing them would fit into the expected routine. So I put off buying these scents and sniff all the others out there that are lesser scents because at least they give a bumpy ride. I know I’ll get the great scent for sure, but it’s dull to commit to it. Walking home with it in a shopping bag won’t feel as eventful as a scent in there that is less than perfect, that will be a novel and challenging thing to wear tomorrow.

L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Mure et Musc is another of these perfect scents, same as Diptyque’s Philosykos. But they come long after Kouros for me. Kouros is the dog that marked all the neighborhood fire hydrants for me and set this pattern to life. I finally got it a few years ago in a large online purchase with a half dozen other bottles that were all blind buys. I think it was the most expensive of them at US$35 for 100mls from an online discount retailer.

Kouros leaves an imprint in your mind. Twenty years after its release my brain knew what it smelled like without help from any next bottle. Ahhh, the smell of aspirant youth! Today it never fails to take me back. I’ve only worn it once or twice a year (I have a large scent collection) but I know the feeling it gives me. It’s effervescent in the sunlight and sweat, it’s magnificent in the aura around you more than on the spot where you sprayed it. It’s tenacious. Always giving sunlight and some sweetness seeping out of the wrist and neck spots of my jacket walking over the crisp white snows.

I sprayed a shot on my wrist to think about it for this write up. It dominates my smell. Overwhelms whatever it was I listed in the SOTD thread today, and dominates the spray of Jazz on my other wrist. It is grand and big like wishes.
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 16th August 2006 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    YSL reviews.

My YSL history starts with Kouros. Starts with seeing the ads for it in GQ magazine timed to the half-year after Kouros was release. I had to sneak peeks at GQ magazine at friends’ houses, and make them short peeks because I didn’t want anyone to think I was as fascinated by them (and thus vain! Horrors!) as I was. Kouros was there, and I was in tenth-grade in high school in a northern Midwestern city. An aloof guy who I wanted to be my friend wore it. He was a year ahead of me in school and had that damn preppy trend first time through thing down pat. I was stuck back in Polo and Z-14. He could talk about how “it’s Kouros” when I’d get to join the cool gang’s lunch table and say it with a straight face just like someone who has crossed the class and money divide and can say of course I have a Mercedes-Benz.

I sneaked sniffs from a bottle itself as I tried to casually pass by the fragrance counter of one of the downtown department stores. Big, bold, airy, powerful—grand—and so much perfect blue sky type adventure in that white square shouldered bottle. But 15 US dollars for a large bottle? You’ve got to be kidding me—that’s outrageous! My allowance is only five dollars! I got Polo by trading my friend a sweater he wanted. Z-14 came gratis à la Mama, but Kouros? Bummer.

Even after my Basenotes phase set in four or five years ago I didn’t pick up Kouros though. Sometimes there are scents that are so perfect and wonderful for me that they answer everything my nose would want to smell. They’re ones I know I’ll buy but I don’t, because they’re so perfect buying them would be normal and wearing them would fit into the expected routine. So I put off buying these scents and sniff all the others out there that are lesser scents because at least they give a bumpy ride. I know I’ll get the great scent for sure, but it’s dull to commit to it. Walking home with it in a shopping bag won’t feel as eventful as a scent in there that is less than perfect, that will be a novel and challenging thing to wear tomorrow.

L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Mure et Musc is another of these perfect scents, same as Diptyque’s Philosykos. But they come long after Kouros for me. Kouros is the dog that marked all the neighborhood fire hydrants for me and set this pattern to life. I finally got it a few years ago in a large online purchase with a half dozen other bottles that were all blind buys. I think it was the most expensive of them at US$35 for 100mls from an online discount retailer.

Kouros leaves an imprint in your mind. Twenty years after its release my brain knew what it smelled like without help from any next bottle. Ahhh, the smell of aspirant youth! Today it never fails to take me back. I’ve only worn it once or twice a year (I have a large scent collection) but I know the feeling it gives me. It’s effervescent in the sunlight and sweat, it’s magnificent in the aura around you more than on the spot where you sprayed it. It’s tenacious. Always giving sunlight and some sweetness seeping out of the wrist and neck spots of my jacket walking over the crisp white snows.

I sprayed a shot on my wrist to think about it for this write up. It dominates my smell. Overwhelms whatever it was I listed in the SOTD thread today, and dominates the spray of Jazz on my other wrist. It is grand and big like wishes.
    --Chris

Ok now I DEFINITELY have to try Kouros. You should write for a magazine or something Chris.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Why do they deny it to you guys over the pond? It does seem a bit unfair and someone somewhere at YSL has made a bad business decision if the comments on this board are anything to go by!
    YSL tried to sell it here. It was launched at Saks, Bloomingdales, Sephora, even some Macy's outlets. The majority of Americans wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It was punted right out of the U.S. of A. Sorry fellas, but Basenotes posters' tastes are not representative of the masses at large. Haven't you guys figured that out yet?

I think I mentioned my recent M7 experience in another thread, but I'll recount it here: The last time I wore it to work a few weeks ago, two people, about forty-five minutes apart from each other, walked past my desk and asked, "Are they painting today?" It's just too weird, too much for most people to handle. Americans in general prize cleanliness. They want clean things. They want themselves, their bodies, to be perceived as clean. That's why American scents and scents formulated to sell primarily to the American market - like the new L'Homme - are made to be "clean." The French perfume aesthetic is entirely different; they like that little bit of animal dirtiness. They find it sexy and sophisticated. Not Americans, by and large. It's not a right thing or a wrong thing. It's just... an American thing.

A muddied, sharp, dark brute of a scent, M7 is not a clean cologne. And that's why it was doomed to failure in the American market.

YSL tried to sell it here. It was launched at Saks, Bloomingdales, Sephora, even some Macy's outlets. The majority of Americans wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It was punted right out of the U.S. of A. Sorry fellas, but Basenotes posters' tastes are not representative of the masses at large. Haven't you guys figured that out yet?

I think I mentioned my recent M7 experience in another thread, but I'll recount it here: The last time I wore it to work a few weeks ago, two people, about forty-five minutes apart from each other, walked past my desk and asked, "Are they painting today?" It's just too weird, too much for most people to handle. Americans in general prize cleanliness. They want clean things. They want themselves, their bodies, to be perceived as clean. That's why American scents and scents formulated to sell primarily to the American market - like the new L'Homme - are made to be "clean." The French perfume aesthetic is entirely different; they like that little bit of animal dirtiness. They find it sexy and sophisticated. Not Americans, by and large. It's not a right thing or a wrong thing. It's just... an American thing.

A muddied, sharp, dark brute of a scent, M7 is not a clean cologne. And that's why it was doomed to failure in the American market.
    That "clean" smell is the reason why Gendarme sold well here .. I wonder how popular the Gendarme line is in Europe. But then isnt M7-Fresh fresh smelling?
    -

I think I mentioned my recent M7 experience in another thread, but I'll recount it here: The last time I wore it to work a few weeks ago, two people, about forty-five minutes apart from each other, walked past my desk and asked, "Are they painting today?" .........
    They want themselves, their bodies, to be perceived as clean. .
    M7 was never meant to be a working environment fragrance,....it is for an after work mood.. in evening to relax & sooth.. it is the most ideal aroma for the most 'sensual' moments.. it a fragrance that should be worn in the darkness not in the light.

& by the way M7 & RIVE GAUCHE are selling here -Middle East- like hot cake.

Not (Americans), by and large. It's not a right thing or a wrong thing. It's just... an (American) thing.

And that's why it was doomed to failure in the (American) market.
    well , most of the dirty scents were created under the direction of an (AMERICAN)designer who is TOM FORD.. he had never made a clean scent either for GUCCI or YSL.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by tariq
    M7 was never meant to be a working environment fragrance,....it is for an after work mood.. in evening to relax & sooth.. it is the most ideal aroma for the most 'sensual' moments.. it a fragrance that should be worn in the darkness not in the light.
    1. I wear what I want. I wear Kingdom to work. And it's L.A. Things are more... fluid here.

2. I hate my job. Screw them.

1. I wear what I want. I wear Kingdom to work. And it's L.A. Things are more... fluid here.

LOL Cool post Serpent.

Wardrobe / Reviews

That "clean" smell is the reason why Gendarme sold well here .. I wonder how popular the Gendarme line is in Europe. But then isnt M7-Fresh fresh smelling?
    Never saw Gendarme in Paris, even if all my american customers ask for it!
    Actually I fell in love with YSL when they released NU...a huge event, the Sephora Champs Elysées was an immense stage for NU. The biggest launch i'd ever seen! I love the smell, the bottle who look like anything but a bottle, the most expensive perfume in the shop: almost 100€ for the 100ml...I got all the bath line, a pure wonder...then they released M7 - with the controversial ad, it was supposed to be called L'Homme Nu (the naked man), but as the sales for Nu weren't as big as expected, they were afraid to make a mistake. The mistake they have made is they didn"t release Nu as a unisex fragrance. The first unisex fragrance in a designer brand with a true personality! well, it kinda happened before with Chanel with Egoiste / the ancient Bois noir, re-released after a little rework as Bois des Iles)...I wear it sometimes, as I discoverd Opium pour homme eau de parfum...always imagined as very strong, but actually very sensual on my skin....In love again is another of the YSL fragrances that I wear...so fresh and crispy! I never tried Kouros because I always smell people who litterally take showers with it, so it almost makes me sick, but Body Kouros is a great perfume, a little bit forgotten because of the Kouros name! such a shame, because with a little advertising they could sell it as well as JPG Le Male!

i'm a little bit scared of the L'Homme YSL... hope it won't be too commun!
    La Science des Rêves

Quote Originally Posted by MCocteau
    Never saw Gendarme in Paris, even if all my american customers ask for it!
    Actually I fell in love with YSL when they released NU...a huge event, the Sephora Champs Elysées was an immense stage for NU. The biggest launch i'd ever seen! I love the smell, the bottle who look like anything but a bottle, the most expensive perfume in the shop: almost 100€ for the 100ml...I got all the bath line, a pure wonder...then they released M7 - with the controversial ad, it was supposed to be called L'Homme Nu (the naked man), but as the sales for Nu weren't as big as expected, they were afraid to make a mistake. The mistake they have made is they didn"t release Nu as a unisex fragrance. The first unisex fragrance in a designer brand with a true personality! well, it kinda happened before with Chanel with Egoiste / the ancient Bois noir, re-released after a little rework as Bois des Iles)...I wear it sometimes, as I discoverd Opium pour homme eau de parfum...always imagined as very strong, but actually very sensual on my skin....In love again is another of the YSL fragrances that I wear...so fresh and crispy! I never tried Kouros because I always smell people who litterally take showers with it, so it almost makes me sick, but Body Kouros is a great perfume, a little bit forgotten because of the Kouros name! such a shame, because with a little advertising they could sell it as well as JPG Le Male!

i'm a little bit scared of the L'Homme YSL... hope it won't be too commun!
    So this actually further reinforces the theory that was discussed before - that American customers prefer a "clean" smelling fragrance while european customers are more into the more "animalic/complex" fragrances. As Serpent had previously mentioned, the new YSL release might be an attempt by YSL to do better financially in the Amerian domestic market, which is pretty huge.
    -

I have to disagree w/ Guerlain and CdG. To me designer means a house that specializes in other forms (clothes, bags, shoes, etc.)

To my knowledge Guerlain and CdG only do fragrances, thus that would make them a niche.

However I do agree that Chanel and would also add Givenchy as designer fragrances that give YSL a good run.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by steveharrisonmc
    To my knowledge Guerlain and CdG only do fragrances, thus that would make them a niche.
    Comme des Garçons is a fashion house headed by designer Rei Kawakubo. You can see some of Comme des Garçons' collections here and here. Guerlain does cosmetics and skincare. Generally, cosmetics makers like Guerlain, Estée Lauder, Clinique, Lancôme, and such are lumped in with designers, as are jewelers and celebrities.

"Niche" is not just about whether or not a company is tied to a clothing company but about size and distribution methods. Revlon does not make clothes; would that make them niche? Is Curious Britney Spears niche? It's about small, exclusive releases made by (supposedly) artisanal methods. Clothing has nothing to do with it, which is why, even though Etro and Comme des Garçons are, in fact, fashion houses, people perceive them as artisanal perfumers.
    Last edited by Serpent; 19th August 2006 at 05:14 AM.

My experiences with YSL are limited and quite recent, however I intend to continue to explore this house's products in the near future.

My first purchase was a blind buy of Jazz. This turned out to be a bad move, because whatever is in it ( I have no idea what the notes are) made me cough for a while, which is an immediate black mark for a fragrance for me. I've put this one on the shelf, so to speak. (Or at least, on another shelf away from fragrances that I like.)

My next purchase was a decant of Rive Gauche. I faired much better with this one, and I simply love the smell. It's a bit "old-school" to my nose, and reminds me of something an older man might smell like. (Older than me, I mean - I'm 35.) For me, it also smells barbershop-y, clean and smooth. A classic, refined, masculine smell. Masculine in the sense of it says "I'm HERE, and I'm a MAN". And most recently, I got my first ever feedback from someone at work. Whilst a negative comment (It gave her a headache), I still feel it was doing it's job, and I was greatful for the comment.

My most recent YSL purchase has been a decant of Kouros. I was intrigued, more than anything else, by the intense debates on the boards about this scent. The first day I tried it, I must have (stunk? stank?) the whole bus out on the way to work. I'm surprised I didn't get more comments while at work. (I think I had actually over-applied. I could smell it for the next two days.) I liked it, and I thought it was going somewhere I wanted it to go, but I am still to make up my mind.

Last night, I wore it again at home. My housemate had a small gathering of 5, including one woman whom I know simply adores Kouros. I sprayed a much more subtle amount on, and waited for her to notice, which she eventually did. She liked it.

I have also tried a sniff test of Body Kouros (which I liked straight out of the bottle), Kouros Cologne Sport and Kouros Summer d'ete (which is being marketed as a "new limited edition", but which according to these boards was originally released in 2003? Is that right?)

So, my verdict? Despite my relative inexperience fragrance-wise, I am beginning to understand the quality of YSL. Overall, the ones I have tried are very unique and distinctive, and boy, do they last!

The house has a big tick from me!

QuietEarth.

Serpent

YSL pour Homme: It's what they're wearing in Hell.

Comme des Garçons is a fashion house headed by designer Rei Kawakubo. You can see some of Comme des Garçons' collections here and here. Guerlain does cosmetics and skincare. Generally, cosmetics makers like Guerlain, Estée Lauder, Clinique, Lancôme, and such are lumped in with designers, as are jewelers and celebrities.

"Niche" is not just about whether or not a company is tied to a clothing company but about size and distribution methods. Revlon does not make clothes; would that make them niche? Is Curious Britney Spears niche? It's about small, exclusive releases made by (supposedly) artisanal methods. Clothing has nothing to do with it, which is why, even though Etro and Comme des Garçons are, in fact, fashion houses, people perceive them as artisanal perfumers.
    Thanks for clarifying that

YSL perfumes - it's kind of alternative in mass market perfumery

p.s. and the name- "Kouros". What does it mean?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    YSL perfumes - it's kind of alternative in mass market perfumery
    Smell the new L'Homme and tell me if you still feel that way.

A "kouros" is a term used for a type of ancient Greek statue of a nude male youth.

A "kouros" is a term used for a type of ancient Greek statue of a nude male youth.
    maybe the M7 adverts should have been used to promote Kouros....
    -

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    for a thorough answer that is also a great read, see scentemental's review of Kouros.

Talking Re: House Referendum -- Yves Saint Laurent

I did the same thing, I wore NU EDP last June..& I insest to say 'bonjour' to my idiot boss every morning, I was going to quit anyway

So this actually further reinforces the theory that was discussed before - that American customers prefer a "clean" smelling fragrance .
    the YSL's SA in my place 'M. East' told me yesterday that Americans 'in my country' would never stand in front of a YSL counter, they are always after Armani, Boss & Tommy.

& By the way she've had tried L'HOMME.., & she said it was amazing ,different & leaves a distinctive charisma on wearer after it cools down.

well sniffing is beliving ..launche will be on 15 sept.
    Last edited by tariq; 21st August 2006 at 05:53 AM.

[QUOTE=Serpent]Smell the new L'Homme and tell me if you still feel that way.

oh no. is it really so bad? I am waiting for it to try.
    But it's Ropion's creation - and it shouldn't be bad
    although characteristics as- fresh sexy oriental - doesn't promise anything Real.
    for me it's sounds funny - fresh (watery) and oriental

"maybe the M7 adverts should have been used to promote Kouros...."
    no, I don't agree. M7 and Rive Gauch photos represent dirty animalic scents - that's what Rive Gauche and M7 are.
    (by the way, my first impression, when I smelled Rive Gauche, was - it smells like cow house, like muck)

somebody noticed here - that if a girl would smell CK euphoria on a man, she would kiss him, and if she smell Rive Gauche, she would start to bite

and Kouros adv.- athletic hairless man's body- represent beauty of ancient marble Greek statues
    Last edited by DreamerII; 20th August 2006 at 04:52 PM.
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Opium eau de parfum pour homme

There comes a time after years of wearing and appreciating the nuances of fragrance that one can see where one has been and the level to which one has evolved.

Kouros was my first foray into the YSL line and after 20 years it's still on my shelf- a new bottle, of course.

Lately I've been thinning out my wardrobe, trying to fine tune what I want at hand and also because I want rid myself of excess. Ah,the joys of turning 42.

The Opium eau de parfum pour homme had been on my radar for a few years but I had not given it much thought until I started searching out and edps and discovered the marvels of the basenotes forum.

The reviews were stellar so I knew I must try it.

The comments ranged from 'rich, warm, complex' to 'vanilla-like'.
    They sum up my feelings about this eau de parfum. But I must add, 'masculine, thougtful, intimate'.

This is one fragrance that has garnered the most compliments for me though I rarely give much thought to what comments my fragrance will inspire.

Also, I honestly am happy, dare I say, 'feel' happy, to wear the Opium edp and this is because I can buy into the 'olfactory' trip that most of Houses want us to aspire to. Aspirational advertising doesn't work with me for the most part as I'm pretty happy and fortunately secure.

I wear this on sultry summer days and on deep, bleak days of Canadian winters. The Opium edp is familiar and comforting, intially strong and surefooted yet in the end subtle and reminiscent.

YSL's Opium edp is a joyful, nay, joyous! exception in an overcrowded and misdirected market of glass and alcohol.

Yes, I'd be pretty sad to find out that of all the YSL fragrance line they'd be silly enough to pull the Opium edp. Perhaps they'll tweak the packaging and re-market it as Hermes has done with Equipage? I pray.

I am on the verge of making this my signature scent because it is truly a well-balanced, well-thought out men's fragrance. In fact if I had to pick just one edp to have in my wardrobe, it would be the Opium edp. As an aside, the edt works nicely layered with the edp. Try it!

If any one knows where I can purchase the whole product line of Opium, do let me know. But in the meantime, buy it and enjoy!
    Last edited by graffham; 26th August 2006 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    Opium eau de parfum pour homme

There comes a time after years of wearing and appreciating the nuances of fragrance that one can see where one has been and the level to which one has evolved.

Kouros was my first foray into the YSL line and after 20 years it's still on my shelf- a new bottle, of course.

Lately I've been thinning out my wardrobe, trying to fine tune what I want at hand and also because I want rid myself of excess. Ah,the joys of turning 42.

The Opium eau de parfum pour homme had been on my radar for a few years but I had not given it much thought until I started searching out and edps and discovered the marvels of the basenotes forum.

The reviews were stellar so I knew I must try it.

The comments ranged from 'rich, warm, complex' to 'vanilla-like'.
    They sum up my feelings about this eau de parfum. But I must add, 'masculine, thougtful, intimate'.

This is one fragrance that has garnered the most compliments for me though I rarely give much thought to what comments my fragrance will inspire.

Also, I honestly am happy, dare I say, 'feel' happy, to wear the Opium edp and this is because I can buy into the 'olfactory' trip that most of Houses want us to aspire to. Aspirational advertising doesn't work with me for the most part as I'm pretty happy and fortunately secure.

I wear this on sultry summer days and on deep, bleak days of Canadian winters. The Opium edp is familiar and comforting, intially strong and surefooted yet in the end subtle and reminiscent.

YSL's Opium edp is joyful, nay, joyous! exception in an overcrowded and misdirected market of glass and alcohol.

Yes, I'd be pretty sad to find out that of all the YSL fragrance line they'd be silly enough to pull the Opium edp. Perhaps they'll tweak the packaging and re-market it as Hermes has done with Equipage? I pray.

I am on the verge of making this my signature scent because it is truly a well-balanced, well-thought out men's fragrance. In fact if I had to pick just one edp to have in my wardrobe, it would be the Opium edp. As an aside, the edt works nicely layered with the edp. Try it!

If any one knows where I can purchase the whole product line of Opium, do let me know. But in the meantime, buy it and enjoy!

1. This is one fragrance that has garnered the most compliments.

2. I wear this on on deep, bleak days of Lithuanian winters. When it is very cold this scent is sparkling.

3. Yes, I'd be pretty sad to find out that of all the YSL fragrance line they'd be silly enough to pull the Opium edp.

4. I am on the verge of making this my signature scent because it is truly a well-balanced, well-thought out men's fragrance.

5. In fact if I had to pick just one edp to have in my wardrobe, it would be the Opium edp.

6. It's the second (or even - the first) of my real beauties.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 25th August 2006 at 09:50 PM.

This house has certainly made few bad moves over its extended history.
    Just a few thoughts on previous posts;
    I can actually smell a faint trace of the original Kouros in Body Kouros so there is some commonality in there somewhere even if it does get drowned out by the other notes!
    Opium sales are probably very small worldwide to whilst this frag' is very popular to fragrance junkies, it probably seems quite outlandinsh to the average joe-blogg.
    Rive Gauche (and other YSL frag's), definitely requires a few tries before you can accept it in all it's glory. Like unusual architecture or design, I think that those objects which cause us great distain at the start due to their unusualness can often become our favourites.
    YSL offers us a wide range of high quality fragrances which in their own way present a challenge to us. This is one mark of good design and I think that YSL is about DESIGN of fragrances as well as ART all wrapped up in a very French, chic package.

I've recently gotten into YSL. Bought M7 at TJMaxx last Feb after some initial sniffs. It's good but the initial note is a little off-putting. Next on my radar was OPium. I saw an after-shave lotion bottle of Opium for $15 at TJ Maxx but didn't buy it as I sworn off a/s. But I did like it's spicey sweetness. So, I found a good deal on the internet for the EdT and bought it. Fabulous scent, reminds me of a light version of Joop Homme with more spice! And finally, this past weekend I picked up Rive Gauche light at TJ Maxx again. Wore it to a club but I didn't get a good read on it. I do like the 'shaving cream' vibe though. Will post more of my thoughts the next time I wear it.

I detest Kouros and all other forms of it for its musty locker room vibes. And yes, YSL needs to market some of their scents better. Opium EdT is hard to come by. No department store carries it. The only store I've seen it was Perfumania.

Everybody know the YSL is now owned by Gucci.

Kouros - I'm grateful for its existence and love to wear it.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Hale and clean, cool as the other side of your pillow.

M7 - Brave, dark and deep. Reveals its best qualties below 55f.

Opium feminine EDT, EDP, Extrait - PHENOMENAL. One of the best fragrances in the world.

Rive Gauche feminine (original 1971 formula) - Same opinion as above but not quite the same level. A dry down to rival anything out there.

I own and like most of the YSL fragrances both masculine and feminine.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th September 2006 at 02:05 AM.

As you can see in my drobe, I own YSL Pour Homme, PH Concentration,Jazz,Rive Gauche and Kouros Cologne Sport. I used to wear Kouros and Kouros Fraicheur. So the only one missing is M7 which is a little too balsamic(not vinegar way) to me. If I want to tick off someone, I will wear PH Haute Concentration, hehehehe. I just loev YSL and hope that they won't discontinue their classics.

Interesting note regarding that American prefers "clean" smell, that's exactly what I told my girlfriend, almost all the scent that I've tried Perry Ellis,Polo blue,Tommy,all smell alike, they reminded me of walking into a Dillard store for some weird reason.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I dont get it ... why show penis when promoting a mens fragrance ? A woman on top would have resulted in brisk sales though
    Gay men are a highly saught after demographic for advertisers. The idea being that on the whole they tend to have higher disposable incomes because they are less likely to have children and families, and they tend (on average of course, each person is totally different!) to spend more money on body products and being fit. This was more true before the genius breathrough of turning heterosexual men into highly self-conscious metrosexuals, but it's still a big target group. The problem with catering to a gay male audience, is that if you aren't very subtle you tend to scare away the straight male audience, who spend on the whole way more money than gay men, because they are a much larger percentage of the population. So the penis thing backfired!

I guess the designer thought it was a symbol of power and masculinity, but to most people it's a symbol of "eeeww, there's a weiner in that ad!!"

That said, girls seem to *love* M7 on a man, and even on themselves. Maybe the penis was to target gay men and also women they way nake girls attract men!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 2nd September 2006 at 02:32 AM.

Body Kouros (love it!), M7, Kouros Cologne Sport, the original YSL red top from the 70s, not to mention Live Jazz (like bubbly champagne) and Nu (NB: Rive Gauche I have never worn) have all been top contenderrs of mine over the years, and I have always considered them to be somwhat «leading edge». M7 and Live Jazz never cease to amaze me.

Now they go mainstream with L'Homme. Like CK did with Euphoria (what a disappointment!)

Still, I will give L'Homme a good run for its money. Compliments are also a fine indication of how interesting a fragrance is. Am awaiting its issue....Will report.

For the time being, let's not despair; there's still enough out there to satisfy every nose just about.

Mar)

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    .... So the penis thing backfired! I guess the designer thought it was a symbol of power and masculinity, but to most people it's a symbol of "eeeww, there's a weiner in that ad!!" That said, girls seem to *love* M7 on a man, and even on themselves. Maybe the penis was to target gay men and also women they way nake girls attract men!
    ...haha! A bit too much speculation here, I am afraid. Maybe some disregard facts that mattered in the past: for French fashion and parfumerie the decision making was in Paris way into the nineties of the last century. Things are changing, many French labels have branched out to 'Tokio, new York, San Fancisco etc. and those markets may require different advertising now, as does the market in the Middle East. But looking back, I cannot imagine that most Europeans who happened to see the one advertisement with penis (all others were different) thought badly about it. This may have backfired in the USA, though. Tom Ford should know more. A nude man's backside and a nude woman embraced by him are shown on one advertisement for Nu. Also that one is from the TF period, I believe. That didn't help to make men adopt Nu as their own cologne.
    Some may be aware that there was a precedent for a bare male body already in 1971 when Yves himself posed for his first masculine cologne. It was then understood as his contribution to the womens lib (no misprint, an act of solidarity) that sparked others in the time to follow (flitzer). YSL, an introvert, and shy at heart, was always a provocateur also. The subject was important to him, he published more photos of young men and women in historic context, quite artsy.
    Last edited by narcus; 9th September 2006 at 11:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Forget the recommendation of not bumping old threads... YSL is an awesome house.

Every fragrance made by them has turned out to be a winner in my book, and every YSL I have worn captures the attention of women. Even the "disappointing" L'Homme is pretty darn good when compared with the latest releases by other houses.

We already have a Mr. Guerlain and a Dr. Creed. I wouldn't mind being renamed as monsieur YSL... or better yet: Señor YSL
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    YSL pour Homme: It's what they're wearing in Hell.
    LOL... really hot and humid weather down here (one month away from Summertime), am I in hell?

Straight to the point: I have been wearing YSLpH's for the last twenty years. After becoming a BN member I realized that I like it because of its vervaine opening and its vetiverish drydown.

However, I have to admit that it looks like YSLpH's nature is far from the family's natural finesse and classines since it is a far from delicate scent. I think it would be appropiate to say that it would be Monsieur de Givenchy's and Eau Savage's brother running in the fast lane. Not that it is its steroid version, simply said, a guy who doesn't want to play accoding to the family's lifestyles.

I can't express my opinion regarding the rest of YSL's brands, except for Opium pH EdT, which I tried a couple of times and found it very spicy for my taste. Still, I think I will have to try it again just to make up an opinion.
    Last edited by Pollux; 25th November 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Typos