Code of Conduct

Default Favourite British Fragrance

Thinking about all the famous traditional British perfumeries like Penhaligon's Trumpers, Truefitt and Hill, Taylors, D R Harris, Crown etc. I was wondering what everybody's favourite fragrances are from these houses. I am not talking about the modern scents like Endymion from Penhaligon's, I am thinking of the older more traditional ones.

Default Re: Favourite British Fragrance

The Trumper Sandalwood Cologne is quite good. I had a sample of it that I enjoyed, but haven't got round to buying a bottle yet. Might do so soon though.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Overcome By Fumes

Crown Spiced Limes

Probably a tie between:

Town & Country/Blenheim Bouquet (identical) & Eucris

Prince Barry, I was expecting one of the venerable perfumers to have commisioned a discrete fragrance to your royal court by now....

I still know far too few of these, but love Blenheim Bouquet and Extract of Limes by Penhaligons. Also English Fern.
    GFT is a hit with me and I like to smell Trumper's Sandalwood, but I do not like to smell like it. Same with Hammam Bouqet.
    I also seem to be one of the few fans of Asprey's Purple Water, which is new, but I think very consciously sets itself within the British cologne tradition. Oscar Wilde would have loved it, anyway.
    My absolute favorite however is Royal English Leather, which qualifies as British, I would assume
    I'm hoping for a tour of London's barbershop classics for my 40th birthday. That's something I would REALLY REALLY enjoy.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Mr Taylors by Taylors of old bond street, and quercus by penhaligans
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

[EDITED: Ah, just realised that nothing I have experienced counts as traditional. Oops. Carry on!]
    Last edited by simisker; 15th August 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simisker
    I was just about to reply with one of the first 'proper' fragrances I discovered - Dunhill Edition - when I remembered Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand.
    The prince did mention "the older more traditional ones." Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand does not fit into this criteria...

Evidently I'm too fast on the reading and too slow with the edit button. Sorry, Prince B - or should I say "Your Highness Your Highness"

Actually, does Floris' Special No. 127 count?
    Last edited by simisker; 15th August 2006 at 06:58 PM.

No. 88 by far.

C&S No. 88 and Floris Sandalwood.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by simisker
    Evidently I'm too fast on the reading and too slow with the edit button. Sorry, Prince B - or should I say "Your Highness Your Highness"

Actually, does Floris' Special No. 127 count?
    lol! we await sirs approval.

No.127 certainly does count, Czech & Speake fragrances aren't old enough to qualify.

I know it's obscure, but I'm a big fan of D.R. Harris's Arlington cologne. I've never been able to work out when this one was released, however, so I'm not sure whether it qualifies as a traditional English cologne.

Magnnum, it's a sorry state of affairs when the monarchy doesn't carry as much clout as it used to do. The perfumers are no longer knocking on the palace door pleading with me to allow them to create something for me...haha! The one consolation is that Andy Tauer graciously allowed me to come up with the name for his Lonestar Memories.

I agree with the No88 not being old enough. As for 127, it does qualify seeing as it was created for the Russian Count Orloff in the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    The one consolation is that Andy Tauer graciously allowed me to come up with the name for his Lonestar Memories.
    What a privilege!

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    No. 88 by far.
    Ditto!

Another vote for Geo. F. Trumper's Sandalwood Cologne. As fine a sandalwood scent of any nationality that I'm aware of.

Jeff

For me its Hammam Bouquet and English Fern by Penhaligons

I can't not mention my love of Floris's Elite though, 1980s modern as it may be.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I don't own any, but I like every Truefitt and Hill I've sampled.

West Indian Limes, Clubman, Spanish Leather are all great.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    For me its Hammam Bouquet and English Fern by Penhaligons

I can't not mention my love of Floris's Elite though, 1980s modern as it may be.
    --Chris
    Hammam Bouquet is my all time favourite fragrance, never been without a bottle for 20 years. English Fern is another love, the bath and shower gel smells amazing.

Clive Christian's offerings are quite nice as I remember. Though they are not available in Canada.

The problem that a lot of people have with Clive Christian is his total vandalism of the Crown Perfumery. His scents are quite nice, I like 'X' but are very modern as opposed to the older more traditional scents from the classic English houses.

Destroying Crown Perfumery is one of the biggest crimes in fragrance history.
    Somebody should tar and feather him for this.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along!

Clive Christian obviously would like to portray himself as a "traditional perfumer", but he's a (admittedly canny) salesman who started off selling kitchen units.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Erfl
    Destroying Crown Perfumery is one of the biggest crimes in fragrance history.
    Agreed, I rank Crown Perfumery & Penhaligon's as the premier British perfumers, followed by Trumpers...

I can't believe Clive Christian had the cheek to moderately tweak the formula for "Sandringham" & passed it off as 1872 (the year Crown Perfumery was founded) to unsuspecting customers, at a considerable cost i must add...

Ormonde Jayne - Isfarkand why doesn't this count again?
    GFT- bay rum, sandalwood
    Last edited by dr_adamg; 16th August 2006 at 07:37 PM.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

My picks:

Trumper -- Eucris
    Penhaligon -- Hammam Bouquet
    Crown Perfumery -- Marquis/Sumare
    Floris -- Vetiver

If Dunhill is considered British, then the original Dunhill.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    Ormonde Jayne - Isfarkand why doesn't this count again?
    GFT- bay rum, sandalwood
    I'd be the first to support Isfarkand, which I consider an "ultra" British scent, but from reading the first posts, it appears that this thread is only about older established fragrances. This would not only discount Isfarkand, but also GFT which I belive was formulated fairly recently.

I feel that the predominant problem with many old "traditional" frags is their dependence on citrus top notes and hence short longevity.

Wardrobe / Reviews

Geo F. Trumper's Eucris. Best vetiver scent ever and I don't generally care for vetiver. Yes, I know they don't list that as a note. But have you sniffed it? Come on! If there's not any in the composition it's a marvel.

I never gave it much thought since the question was never put at hand I suppose but now I realise that said sadly I dont much care for any British made fragrances. I love many a Creed but they are Franco/English and perhaps not game. I don't mind no. 88, CC X, Crown Sandringham, and Floris Santal but don't adore or regularly wear any of the three. Royal English Leather is one of my 10 favorite scents along with SMW and Vintage Tabarome from the Creed clan but then again do Creeds count?

Cheers,
    Ali

Mentioned these two in another similar thread, but worthy of mentioning again.........
    Mulberry (mens edt)
    Litchfield
    Probably both discontinued ???
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Omg David, this thread is 6 years old. I didn't realise it was still in the archives.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

My all time favorite among the classics would be Blenheim Bouquet- I just love it.

Wow, a thread that was started before I got here ... and I've been here 6 years.

Blenheim Bouquet gets my vote too.

It's aloof and unapologetic.

Just about as British as it gets.

Overcome By Fumes

Ha, I was about to answer this...but I already did...6 years ago!
    Last edited by docluv45; 21st December 2012 at 01:04 PM.

For me, Crown Sandringham. A nice muguet note.

Follow this up with Sartorial.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Maybe it does not qualify as traditional (launched in 2003), but Richard James EdT is the quintessential british perfume.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Maybe it does not qualify as traditional (launched in 2003), but Richard James EdT is the quintessential british perfume.
    A great one, whatever the vintage!

My favourite is probably Penhaligon's Racquets formula. Actually in feel it reminds me of Habit Rouge, with its cheerful, fizzy citrus and powdery drydown. Does anyone know if the perfumer, Francis Pickthall, did anything else? The BN directory and Fragrantica have drawn blanks.

Sound Scents

If we are talking older, more traditional, the it would have to be vintage No.89 by Floris or Crown Imperial by the late Crown Perfumery for me.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Right now it's the fragrances from the Murdock house which has a excellent range of barbershop scents.

Penhaligons Racquets.

(honorable mention Ormonde Man, the perfect well made fragance)
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Floris Palm Springs

I like Eucris, Hammam and Edwardian Bouquet, Richard James, Woods of Windsor.

I'm partial to Sartorial these days. Modern only in its date of release, it has a traditional feel to it.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan