Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bleecker St. ripped off RL Purple Label?!?!

I was in a discount frag store the other day and sampled some Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Normally, I don't touch RL frags but I liked the purple bottle. Sprayed some in a tissue and it smelled exactly like Bleecker St. I got to thinking that maybe RL ripped off Bond No. 9 which is very common (designer house ripping off a niche house). Well, when I got home I learned that Purple Label came out in 2003 and Bleecker St. came out in 2005. And look at the notes, they're very similar. So, it was the other way around, Bond ripped off RL. My respect for Bond has been severely declined. I was even planning on buying some Bleecker St. Why should I when I can get PL for 2/3 the price of Bleecker St.!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bleecker St. ripped off RL Purple Label?!?!

They're very similar. If I were in love with the scent, I'd pony up for the Bleecker as I believe it will last much better. PL just does not last or project on me. I tried Bleecker and IMO it is more potent. You can get Bleecker for around $90 on ebay.

I was torn between it and Cannabis Santal after I raised some cash, but I went with the Cannabis Santal for myself.

Good luck!

I love this scent and yes they are similar.. I will have to say that Bleecker St. smells and is much better...I once owned PL but replaced it with Bleecker St. The longevity and sillage is far superior...Also, I own over 20 fragrances and Bleecker St. is by far my #1 compliment getter...I always get compliments with this frangrance and alot of those come from strangers...

I wore Bleecker today (thanks vontech) and I put ont 2 sprays on both sides of my neck. it was very strong at first but after about 1 hour I couldn't smell it anymore. How much do you normally put on for it to last?

m
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Quote Originally Posted by mentallo
    I wore Bleecker today (thanks vontech) and I put ont 2 sprays on both sides of my neck. it was very strong at first but after about 1 hour I couldn't smell it anymore. How much do you normally put on for it to last?

m
    2 sprays on the neck(sometimes 3)and 1 on each wrist....after a night out with friends she and I could still smell it on me in the morning...very surprised to hear that it didn't last on you..I let a friend spray some on and a few hours later at a club I could still smell it on him....

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt be surprised if it did. What a shame to have a house like Bond no.9 represent a great city like New York.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I wouldnt be surprised if it did. What a shame to have a house like Bond no.9 represent a great city like New York.
    I happen to think Bond No.9 offers some quality fragrances...You have your Chez-Bond(smells like GIT) and Bleecker St (smells like PL)...but let's talk about Riverside Side(very underrated) girls love this scent, New Haarlem, Central Park, Wall St., West Broadway...all these are quality fragrances that ripped off ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    I was in a discount frag store the other day and sampled some Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Normally, I don't touch RL frags but I liked the purple bottle. Sprayed some in a tissue and it smelled exactly like Bleecker St. I got to thinking that maybe RL ripped off Bond No. 9 which is very common (designer house ripping off a niche house). Well, when I got home I learned that Purple Label came out in 2003 and Bleecker St. came out in 2005. And look at the notes, they're very similar. So, it was the other way around, Bond ripped off RL. My respect for Bond has been severely declined. I was even planning on buying some Bleecker St. Why should I when I can get PL for 2/3 the price of Bleecker St.!
    Discount Perfume had a great sale on PL - $30 for a gift set of PL EdT 125ml & PL After-Shave balm 125ml. Great buy. Now, I have a sample of Bleecker st so I did an arm-by-arm comparison. Identical top notes though PL comes on a bit heavier. Bleecker starts to turn a tad sweeter and PL starts to get even "heavier" if slightly mossy. 3 hours later and Bleecker is gone but PL is faintly detectable. Somebody remind me again why Bleecker is superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Bleecker St. ripped off RL Purple Label?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by starvela
    I love this scent and yes they are similar.. I will have to say that Bleecker St. smells and is much better...I once owned PL but replaced it with Bleecker St. The longevity and sillage is far superior...Also, I own over 20 fragrances and Bleecker St. is by far my #1 compliment getter...I always get compliments with this frangrance and alot of those come from strangers...

Same here! I always get compliment with Bleecker Street. Always:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care if Bond No. 9 rip other fragrances DNA, it's their problem not mine, if I like it, I buy it. Didn't try Purple Label, but tried Chez Bond and GIT (I currently own it) and I like Chez Bond more, even though the similarity between it and GIT is striking, it's better blended, more creamy, with more depth and elegance.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

They're similar but I like Bleeker Street's drydown. Purple Label has no drydown for me because it disappears after an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

I can vouch for bleecker st crazy longevity
    I don't think much about it though it terms of fragrance
    I really like Central Park, but it smells just like Rochas Lui to me
    anyone elso also see this?
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Isn't PL very similar to Romance Silver Man? I have only tried RSM, so I'm curious how these 3 frags compare.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th May 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Isn't PL very similar to Romance Silver Man? I have only tried RSM, so I'm curious how these 3 frags compare.
    FINALLY! Someone else who sees the similarity between Bleecker (or PL) and Romance Silver. They both share the same exact suede accord. The difference is Romance Silver is a fresh non gourmand, non green suede musk. Bleecker is a green vanilla suede scent.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    amen