Code of Conduct

Default A day in the life of a fragrance enthusiast

The day begins at 5AM – time to walk the dogs. We have acreage with trails, so it’s just me, two goofy labs, the owls, coyotes, and stars. Since my walks are solitary, this is my time to sample the feminines in my collection. My first scent choice of the day is my most recent full bottle purchase – Carnal Flower. A 30 minute walk doesn’t provide enough time to enjoy a fragrance’s full progression, but that’s OK; topnotes seem appropriate for a pre-dawn hike. The dogs don’t complain about my scent choice, but then they never do; they’re just happy to be outside, chasing critters and running through the pastures and woods.

Next, it’s time to prep for work. Shower first, and my second scent choice of the day –shower gel . Chanel PM, Infusion d’Homme, or Dior Homme? I reach for the Chanel. Next on my scent agenda, my SoTD, usually a work-friendly fragrance; today it’s Monsieur de Givenchy. Choice made, I log on to Basenotes, check the MFD and a few others, and post my SoTD. No PMs today; rats.

These days, I live my job staring at a computer terminal, so I break the monotony of emails and reports by checking in on Basenotes from time to time – at least three or four times a day. During lunch, I might visit a fragrance shop or two. Hall’s Kansas City is just a few blocks away, the SAs know me by name and are generous with samples.

Work done, it’s back on the farm and the dogs are anxious for their afternoon walk. Same trails, but now they’re ablaze in color and light. The scents of warm grass and wildflowers have come alive from the sun's heat, competing with my own evening scent choice - Kouros, my favorite warm weather fragrance. Then back on to Basenotes to check on the latest Creed thread, flame war, or some other calamitous entertainment.

The day ends with another shower, this time to wash off my beloved Kouros as best I can, and my final scent choice of the day – a small dab of Patchouli Indonesiano on my wrists to coax me to sleep.

Repeat daily.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st May 2010 at 03:57 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Default Re: A day in the life of a fragrance enthusiast

Thanks for that glance through a window on your life. I enjoyed reading it .
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 1st May 2010 at 01:38 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

A nice idea for a thread Snafoo. Good stuff

Blog Entries

Cool. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who can view a part of their life - if not the world - along the dimension of olfactory beauty. I think it's even why we do this.

Thanks for sharing that!

unpredictable
    mediocre
    all screwed up
    the world
    pick a dimension
    perfect
    orthogonal
    unaffected
    pick beauty
    sense the world
    inhale the possible
    take a breath
    pick hope

what lovely snapshot of a most civilized day!

Props to the Halls ladies. It's a really fun fragrance counter. Love the idyllic scene you've described. Great thread, too.

I forgot to add that others should post their own "Day In the Life..." stories!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

My day in the life usually begins the night before. I think about what I have to do the next day, plan a wardrobe, and start thinking about scents that match. I usually give myself a shot or two of a nice nighttime fragrance before bed. Lately it's been rich, sweet fragrances, such as Dior Homme Intense, Chergui, or Original Santal. Or maybe I just enjoy the lingering traces of an eariler application of something strong, like Ambre Sultan or Acier Aluminum. Warmer months, it's more on the citrus side. Neroli Sauvage - perfect in any situation, actually.

In the morning, after a shower and breakfast, I often give myself a light spray of an Eau de something while I read the newspaper and drink coffee. My two big cats take turns sitting in my lap. Then it's get dressed, spray on a SotD, and out the door.

After lunchtime I usually sneak in a little refresher spray, either the SotD, or something else. I have my own office at work, so I'm not too worried about an afternoon touch-up. Around 5 I start thinking about gym, dinner, and a SotE. I keep a bottle of Roger Gallet Extra Vielle in my gym bag, the perfect after-workout refresher fragrance (it's another all-purpose, all-the-time scent).

And yes, I actually do think about a lot of other stuff in the day, too. But this is my day in the life of a fragrance enthusiast.

What's yours?

Thanks, MrCologneGuy. Based on similar threads (do you wear fragrance to bed, etc.) and from often seeing multiple SoTDs posts from the same person, I've always suspected that hardcore fragrance nuts are not only never without their personal scent cloud, but that they change scents multiple times throughout the day.

BTW, your choice of Ambre Sultan as a bedtime scent is an excellent one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    BTW, your choice of Ambre Sultan as a bedtime scent is an excellent one.
    I'd say....
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st May 2010 at 09:41 PM.

Ambre Sultan. . . so nice before bed. . . but you have to spray at least an hour before, so the chaotic opening has a chance to calm down a bit. . .

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Ambre Sultan. . . so nice before bed. . . but you have to spray at least an hour before, so the chaotic opening has a chance to calm down a bit. . .
    Yeah...chaos.

I love the idea, and fantastic stories guys.

Snafoo - sounds idyllic!
    Actually, I often wear newer scents too whilst walking the mutts (- not on my land as I don't have any) and think that it's a great way to familiarise without too many distractions.

I really love Snafoos's thread. Any others care to describe their scent day?